Fluid pulse vs. field motor

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

Fluid pulse vs. field motor

Does anyone remember if there had ever been a time when a mobile suit with fluid pulse system being disabled because its cable being severed? If so, then why exactly did Zeon put these cables on the outside other than making maintenance easier?
Seto Kaiba

Re: Fluid pulse vs. field motor

False Prophet wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:42 am Does anyone remember if there had ever been a time when a mobile suit with fluid pulse system being disabled because its cable being severed? If so, then why exactly did Zeon put these cables on the outside other than making maintenance easier?
Now, I don't remember precisely which episode it was in but in one of the first fights in the original Gundam series Amuro tears the faceplate and power transfer cables off the head of someone's Zaku II.

The explanation I've read for why the fluid pulse system's cables were moved outside the armor from the Zaku I to the Zaku II was that they took up basically all the space underneath the armor and that made it difficult or impossible to upgrade the system and extremely difficult to maintain it. The Zaku II moved those cables outside the armor to free up space and improve ease of maintenance and upgrade.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

The cables aren't for the fluid pulse system iirc.
They are for cooling, and they are put outside of the armour because of over heating issues.
The MS-05 don't have those but they reached the limit of what their tech can do with surface cooling, thus in the MS-06 they turned to adding cables for the coolant to flow though.
Therefore they don't immediately stop working when the cables are cut, since it still takes time to overheat the unit even without the coolant, or they simply lower the output of the generators.
Seto Kaiba

MythSearcher wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:15 am The cables aren't for the fluid pulse system iirc.
From what I can see, the record is somewhat divided on the topic.

Older material generally leans toward the idea that those are transfer pipes for the fluid pulse system.

Newer material leans towards the idea that it is a radiative cooling system for the reactor.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:09 am From what I can see, the record is somewhat divided on the topic.

Older material generally leans toward the idea that those are transfer pipes for the fluid pulse system.

Newer material leans towards the idea that it is a radiative cooling system for the reactor.
Older material I remember seeing power pipes(動力パイプ). Ok, I suppose Hizack is a good candidate of confirming those are fluid pulse system pipes, it is supposedly designed with similar concepts but mixed in EF tech, they have the generators generate power and then turn it into fluid pulse and transfer that power to the limbs. They call those exposed tubes Energy Supply Cables.

But I still buy the cooling system idea more.