The Official Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: The Official Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island Anime Thread Mk I

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:43 pm Looks like Doan's Island has a release date of June 03rd 2022. They also posted some artwork as well. https://twitter.com/g_cucuruzdoan/statu ... 0956144644
Holy crud, that's on my birthday. Niiiice.
I'm digging that artwork too, looks cool.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
BrentD15

Kuruni wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:41 am I wish we get to see the legendary Zaku punch in full HD glory.
That would be amazing to see.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
PowerdGNFlag

Small update for today: Shunsuke Takeuchi has been cast as Doan, and we have official art of the Gundam and Doan's Zaku.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
PowerdGNFlag

PowerdGNFlag wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:30 pm Small update for today: Shunsuke Takeuchi has been cast as Doan, and we have official art of the Gundam and Doan's Zaku.
Update 2: New minute-long PV just dropped here (That link is region-locked, you may have a better chance watching it via the tweet of the official account.
Underrated GM Custom

The youtube is region locked but the twitter version worked out fine for me. Looks pretty good so far, I'm excited to watch it later this year.
Deacon Blues

For those interested, here's an interview with Naohiro Ogata, Sunrise producer, regarding the movie and how it is 100% a remake of episode fifteen, regardless of having elements from the Origin in it.
PowerdGNFlag

We just got a new trailer that shows more of the story beats that they are going for (as well as more action shots). The MV for the movie's theme (Ubugoe by Hiroko Moriguchi) has been uploaded as well. For the plamo side P-Bandai has opened preorders (JP only for now) for HGs of the Gundam (a slight recolor of the ORIGIN kit with more decals) and Doan's Zaku.
MythSearcher

From the original FG animation, there are various heads for Doan's Zaku:
https://twitter.com/KEUMAYA/status/1519 ... 3xtNvOmvFQ

and they should have done this for the HG:
https://twitter.com/KEUMAYA/status/1519 ... 3xtNvOmvFQ
Mafty

So the movie is due out on Friday. Is there any word on international release( i.e., screenings, if it's coming to Crunchyroll, Netflix, Prime, etc)?
PowerdGNFlag

Mafty wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:00 pm So the movie is due out on Friday. Is there any word on international release( i.e., screenings, if it's coming to Crunchyroll, Netflix, Prime, etc)?
ODEX will be having screenings for Singapore and Vietnam starting Friday, but no news outside of those areas.
Chris
Administrator

Mafty wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:00 pm So the movie is due out on Friday. Is there any word on international release( i.e., screenings, if it's coming to Crunchyroll, Netflix, Prime, etc)?
There have been no announcements about the movie. Compared to previous releases like Narrative and Hathaway, it seems that Sunrise isn't as interested in promoting/releasing this one in the West simultaneously.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
bhayes82

Chris wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:50 pm
There have been no announcements about the movie. Compared to previous releases like Narrative and Hathaway, it seems that Sunrise isn't as interested in promoting/releasing this one in the West simultaneously.
Agreed. I'm surprised at the low-promotion for this film. Hathaway got a BIG marketing push. This film doesn't seem to be getting the same treatment. And I I read the fine print correctly its only in theaters for a limited time ? June 3 - June 5 ?? that pretty strange.

I guess there's something going on behind the scenes. but i think we will get a dub soon.
MythSearcher

Seeing Mark Simmons as English language check in the credits feels kinda funny.
Deacon Blues

MythSearcher wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:37 pm Seeing Mark Simmons as English language check in the credits feels kinda funny.
Why would you say that? He's been credited for English Supervision for every Gundam release for quite a while. He's the reason we have standardized names and terminology.
MythSearcher

Deacon Blues wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:45 am
Why would you say that? He's been credited for English Supervision for every Gundam release for quite a while. He's the reason we have standardized names and terminology.
I haven't been paying that much attention to the credits., usually just switch to other things when the credits starts and just listens to the music, and in case of watching things in the cinema, usually someone will start a conversation when the credits starts.
BrentD15

Mark has been such a tremendous help for Western Gundam fans.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
pirx

Watched it yesterday.
It is an extended and improved version of episode 15 from first Gundam TV series.
Animation is gorgeous, same style as Hathaway (same animation team?) while keeping retro look to conform with TV series.
I wish they would redo entire Gundam TV series in this style, that would be excellent. Gundam looks amazing. Story is well... changed and improved from what we can see in Episode 15. Doan is more fleshed out because he gets more screen time. Movie is about 1 hour 48 minutes long.
From now on if you watch First Gundam TV series, i recommend you watch this movie instead of episode 15 and then continue with episode 16.
Spoiler
One scene with irked me is when Doan's Zaku gets it's right arm cut off while fighting Southern Cross team leader's High Mobility Zaku. When Doan's Zaku hand is cut off, it kneels, using it's left arm to cover cut spot on right arm like human would do when having arm cut off to stop bleeding. Why?!! It is Gundam! Not Evangelion! Not Evangelion!
There is no "neural feedback" between mecha and it's pilot.
Another set of new characters is Zaku Southern Cropss Corps team introduced here who use High Mobility Zakus. Doan was a former member of the team.
MythSearcher

pirx wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:59 am Watched it yesterday.
It is an extended and improved version of episode 15 from first Gundam TV series.
Animation is gorgeous, same style as Hathaway (same animation team?) while keeping retro look to conform with TV series.
I wish they would redo entire Gundam TV series in this style, that would be excellent. Gundam looks amazing. Story is well... changed and improved from what we can see in Episode 15. Doan is more fleshed out because he gets more screen time. Movie is about 1 hour 48 minutes long.
From now on if you watch First Gundam TV series, i recommend you watch this movie instead of episode 15 and then continue with episode 16.
Spoiler
One scene with irked me is when Doan's Zaku gets it's right arm cut off while fighting Southern Cross team leader's High Mobility Zaku. When Doan's Zaku hand is cut off, it kneels, using it's left arm to cover cut spot on right arm like human would do when having arm cut off to stop bleeding. Why?!! It is Gundam! Not Evangelion! Not Evangelion!
There is no "neural feedback" between mecha and it's pilot.
Another set of new characters is Zaku Southern Cropss Corps team introduced here who use High Mobility Zakus. Doan was a former member of the team.
It is not really just an extended and improved version.
You get some elements saved but some cut away.
YAS view the story as something like a Ninkyou story.
No, not really the knight errant type but more of the gangster type, in one of the interviews he even give examples of actors to characters.
Zeon sending troops after him is more like gangsters trying to get a defector instead of an army getting a defector.

The original ep.15 has Doan teaching Amuro to fight unarmed.(ok, MS without a weapon)
And before that he also utilised a big rock to intercept Amuro's missiles.
While his Zaku took damage, it is realistic and show how you fight with an MS, you use what you can.

The movie changed that quite a lot and I really hated the scene where he threw rocks in a futile attempt to try to stop the enemy.

I really recommend watching ep.15 with this movie. The movie isn't bad as a whole, for entertainment purposes, but the original ep., while poorly made in drawings, has messages related more to Amuro's growth as a young man and a pilot with Doan as one of his mentors. It is actually even better than the previous ep. where he defused the bombs which has little to do with his actual piloting skills and character growth.
Underrated GM Custom

pirx wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:59 am Watched it yesterday.
Glad to hear you had a great experience watching the movie. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it gets an international release plus it'll be great to see Mark's name in the credits!
Mafty

So who else has seen the movie?

I thought it was great, everything I hoped it would be , it mixed drama and action scenes well, and had great animation.
Spoiler
I'll admit that going into the movie I didn't expect that everyone in the Brown Southern Cross Team was going to die. However it does fit into the story as the choices Doan makes to protect what is basically his family. Plus as other reviewers have noted ; it shows a contrast between Doan's old comrades who follow the orders no matter what, and Doan who refuses to go along with his ruthless superiors orders.
The battles were also great and it was neat to see revised version of the FG mecha. It's also interesting that for an interquel in the UC , it has surprisingly few new designs mech wise, however this definitely keeps it more in continuity with both the first series and origin.

So what does everyone else think?