double sword?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.

Moderators: ShadowCell, mcred23, EZero8

quasadra
Retconned MSV Ace

double sword?

Post by quasadra » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:11 am

i have been trying to find some reference about double sword. the type of Freedom and Justice's combined beam saber with a cutting blade on both side of the hilt. i am trying to find real world equals. is there such a sword in history? or just something created by the Rule Of Cool? all that turn up in my search is fictional stuff. just trying to ask around to see if anyone knows. thanks in advance.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC

Strike Zero
Busty Fanservice Captain

Post by Strike Zero » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:43 pm

Just for the record, the Freedom and Justice were not the first to use a double-bladed sword in Gundam. The first was actually the Gelgoog, way back in the original Mobile Suit Gundam.

As for real-world equivalents, I don't believe any exist. Such a weapon wouldn't be the least bit practical anyway.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.

Reven
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Reven » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:35 pm

Well, I believe the ideas of the Double Sword can be found a bit in the Quarterstaff, as they can have similar movements.
A double sword cannot be used in a really traditional manner, it does have some uses, mainly in allowing you to spin it and rapidly attack with the second blade after parrying the enemy. But that being said, I haven't found any real world weapons built like that...mostly because ether swordsmen had shields to pack around, or they used two hands on the weapon to allow for better control.

quasadra
Retconned MSV Ace

Post by quasadra » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:22 pm

Strike Zero wrote:Just for the record, the Freedom and Justice were not the first to use a double-bladed sword in Gundam.
i know, just this is the most well known example.
Strike Zero wrote:As for real-world equivalents, I don't believe any exist. Such a weapon wouldn't be the least bit practical anyway.
my search result seems to support this idea. still i have not look into every possible source yet.
Reven wrote:Well, I believe the ideas of the Double Sword can be found a bit in the Quarterstaff, as they can have similar movements.
Quarterstaff huh, i will look into this. thanks. i have only look in sword/blade category so far.

ORegan
Monster of the Week

Post by ORegan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:53 pm

You want something like this? http://www.teraasekeskus.com/tuotteet.a ... ll&lan=eng

second one down.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?

Gadget
HiMAT Spammer

Post by Gadget » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:32 am

A double sword would be practical for combat. One weapon I could think off is the Klingon's betleH.

How about pugil stick fighting? Double sword with boxing gloves?

In the 70's the Hong Kong movie did one show call the 'Full Moon scimeter'. It's a double blade cresent scimeter. It could be use a a single blade scimeter, or half into a double blade scimeter, piovoted at the hilt.
As it is 's' shape, it also use as a 'sword catcher'. But that's a chinese movie. Never see a life demo.

Nightwing03
OMG Doomsday Laser

Post by Nightwing03 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:31 am

IIRC, Cao Pi from Dynasty Warriors 5 used a double sword which could be split into two swords. I dont think that theres a real life equivalent, since it would seem dangerous to not only the enemy, but the wielder him/herself.

Here's Cao Pi with his twin swords
♣♦♠♥

quasadra
Retconned MSV Ace

Post by quasadra » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:47 am

@ORegan:
thats a nice little collection there :D . replica still count as fiction though. thanks anyway.

i am looking for real weapon. be it usable, failure or down right idiotic :P .

i will get back here when i have the result. who knows i might find something interesting.

Ryujin
OMG Doomsday Laser

Post by Ryujin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:02 am

Gadget wrote:A double sword would be practical for combat.
L.O.L. Double swords as commonly depicted are an impractical weapon for actual, kill-or-be-killed combat, unless you intend to commit suicide or have a behind-the-scenes fight choreographer instructing everyone, including the opponent, what to do.
quasadra wrote:i am looking for real weapon. be it usable, failure or down right idiotic :P .

i will get back here when i have the result. who knows i might find something interesting.
That said, there are a number of other weapons, though, that feature a hilt with blades at both ends, and are generally designed for use with certain oriental martial arts techniques.

The Lajatang, for example, is a staff with a crescent-shaped blade at each end and is used with the Indonesian martial arts technique known as Pencak Silat.

Another such weapon is the 'hooksword' (called the Sang Kauw by some sources), generally used for parrying an opponent's blade. The Indian Madu parrying buckler plays a similar role.

The closest that comes to the form of a double sword, imho, would probably be the Indian/Sudanese Haladie dagger.

With all the variety, one could even bring a knife to a gunfight.

There are quite a number of of such weapons that can be found all across Asia; a lot of factual info gets muddled though, thanks to modern-day pop culture such as movies, video games & RPGs.

Gadget
HiMAT Spammer

Post by Gadget » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:56 pm

Manage to find something. Not really a double sword, but a polearms. It's call a yuèyáchǎn or 'moon tooth spade'. Some people call it 'Monk's spade'. Just remember about Sun Wukong traveling companion named Sha Wujing.

It's the weapon that Sha Gojyo in the Japanese anime Saiyuk uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk%27s_spade

Another double edge weapon is call the lajatang. It has a crescent edge on other ends of the pole. It's a weapon usually use by 'evil monks' in chinese kung fu movies.

http://www.geocities.com/moro_villar/fo ... jatang.jpg

Volnixshin
HiMAT Spammer

Post by Volnixshin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Nightwing03 wrote:IIRC, Cao Pi from Dynasty Warriors 5 used a double sword which could be split into two swords. I dont think that theres a real life equivalent, since it would seem dangerous to not only the enemy, but the wielder him/herself.

Here's Cao Pi with his twin swords

I believe I own one of those. a weilder just has to learn how to properly use it.
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."

Ryujin
OMG Doomsday Laser

Post by Ryujin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:49 am

Gadget wrote:
Another double edge weapon is call the lajatang. It has a crescent edge on other ends of the pole.
Nice job parroting me.

Gadget
HiMAT Spammer

Post by Gadget » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:30 am

Sorry. Scroll too fast and missed that line.

quasadra
Retconned MSV Ace

Post by quasadra » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:48 pm

It's the weapon that Sha Gojyo in the Japanese anime Saiyuk uses.
ahh. this is a classic. how could i forgot. and the more accurate translation is "moon tooth/fang shovel". :P i dont care what wiki says. :twisted:

after one day of googling and libary treking. it look like it really dont exist at all. there are some simillar one but none of them match what we know as a double sword.

just for fun. Darth Maul use a double saber as well.

Volnixshin
HiMAT Spammer

Post by Volnixshin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:40 am

they do exsist, their not popular but they do exsist
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."

Wingnut
Hot-blooded Gattai

Post by Wingnut » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:41 am

Volnixshin wrote:they do exsist, their not popular but they do exsist
Well, don't leave us hanging, show us. We can't take you at just your word on this one.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.

Volnixshin
HiMAT Spammer

Post by Volnixshin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:47 am

unfourtunatky i don't have a digital camera, but, it truley is a sword that has one hilt, a blade on each side. There is no sheath as typically it is mounted on a rack or the wall. On mine each blade is about 3.5 feet long, in total length about 8 feet.

Sume Gai
Oblivious Harem Loser

Post by Sume Gai » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:50 am

sadly that says nothing.

what you describe sounds like a display piece (from perhaps a game or TV show); unless of course you have some actual history on such a weapon being used in combat...
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern

Volnixshin
HiMAT Spammer

Post by Volnixshin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:55 am

It is quite sharp, I bought it in Malaysia about five years ago. It was in a weapon shop. Not a tourist weapons shop mind you
Last edited by Volnixshin on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quasadra
Retconned MSV Ace

Post by quasadra » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:33 am

where is the place that you get it? it just happen that i live in Malaysia. maybe i can go down there and get a picture for us all. maybe you have name for the weapon. general name or the name of that particular piece, anything. it will made my search much easier, it is pretty hard to look for something that yourself isnt sure of.

i havent go to national library yet. maybe they will have a more complete archive. the local library dont have the most complete record after all.