The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
SonicSP

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

domino wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:18 am Was it explained how Miorine was able to activate the Gundam Aerial? Suletta seemed surprised by that
Could it be due to her being in the cockpit with Suletta earlier or something else?
Suletta gave Miorine her phone earlier at the garden because Miorine offered to help her with something school related but she also used it to hack some credentials. The episode flashbacks to that moment to emphasize that was how she did it.
Kyuzo Aoi

I watched the first episode, and yes, Guel seems to be the going for the Jerid Messa route.

The mechs are simply well-designed, as well as their fights.

Some fans are clamoring for female protagonist in TV series. So far, this is good. Suletta needs to be protected.
I am a Gundam!
Underrated GM Custom

There's also a chance Guel might go the immortal Patrick Colasour route. He's also got a brother, so the odds of a crazy Frost Brother's callback is also possible.
SonicSP

I rewatched the episode today but with a friend this time and I enjoyed it even more than I did the first time. Episode was tight, nicely paced and didn't waste any time. Good job showing the school environment, setting up the fiancee story and duel culture, while also linking it to the wider politics of the world. I was frankly slightly skeptical of the school setting going into this show but this was as great start as any at bedding me into it.

Suletta's character was nicely set up as well, despite being super nervous around people she wouldn't hesitate for a second to do what she think is right, even if it scared the heck out of her. And we got glimpses of her relationship with Aeriel, both in the opening scene and in the battle. This combined with some info glanced from the novel has made me very excited for what's in-store ahead. Hopefully the series can keep this level of quality going forward.
Underrated GM Custom wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:03 amThere's also a chance Guel might go the immortal Patrick Colasour route.
Or god forbid, Iok. Powerful family, check. Extreme sense of entitlement, check.

But Patrick would be more interesting as he would be less one dimensional.
Mafty

At this point Guel seems more like a Jerid Messa type (its been a while since I watched IBO so I don't remember the specifics of Iok), with his quick temper and violent actions (ie, Pushing Miorine around, and trashing her house). Patrick was arrogant, but he wasn't like that. In this case I doubt that Guel going to receive any positive character development.

It would be neat if we got a Frost Brothers expy thing happening in this series, as that isn't really a character concept that was explored again, (Zeheart and Decil may be brothers, but they end up about as far away from the Frost brothers as you can get).

Also who is Guel's Brother? we saw so many characters I can remember which one he is.

I agree that the school thing turned out way different than I actually thought it would, so it'll be interesting to see what happens next.
SonicSP

Mafty wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:51 pmAlso who is Guel's Brother? we saw so many characters I can remember which one he is.
The guy Suletta asked for help from to stop Guel at Miorine's garden. He told her to stop him herself.
Mafty

Thanks checking the episode again, I see him now. That being said it's too early at this point to actually see what the relationship between the two actually is(at most Guel's brother seems apathetic to everything).

We also get quick appearances from several other students (like Rouji Chante, Secelia Dote from the Dueling committee, and many of the adult managers/CEo's from the companies) obviously it's too quick to show most of their personalities , but it was nice they were able to add so many characters without the episode being too crowded.
Quiddity

After following G-Reco week by week as it aired got me so frustrated that I swore off watching any anime week to week, I've decided to risk going back to it again all these years later for Witch from Mercury. Pretty hyped. Been waiting years for a new AU show. I haven't bothered with the Build stuff after the first show and I'm at a point with UC where I would be fine going years without nothing new if it ever came to that (which it won't). Give me something different for Gundam. That's the biggest thing I'm asking for. And so far, it's doing just that? First time female protagonist? Awesome. I've been wanting the franchise to do that for many years. A more school based setting, at least in episode 1? Totally fine with that as well. The Utena influence was extremely obvious. I don't want the entire show to all be about aping Utena (after all one can watch Star Driver for the mecha version of Utena), but for an episode or an arc? Totally fine with it. Suletta's awesome. Love her already. My complaints would be that they threw way too many characters at us (although that's a flaw with pretty much every Gundam show ever made for the first episode), the Gundam battle was over a bit too quick (seemed like they simply didn't leave enough time in the episode for it and maybe, a la Victory Gundam were really pressured for a Gundam fight episode 1), and a few character designs are rather "eh" for me. Looking forward for more.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
Underrated GM Custom

There were quite a lot of characters introduced in EP1. Overall I enjoyed the pacing, I don't think there's too much pressure to show the Gundam in episode 1, although I agree the mecha scenes while beautifully animated were a bit shorter than I expected. I'm thinking episode 2 will hit the brakes a bit and focus on character introductions and more information on the setting (both the school and the corporate politics). I'm curious if they will continue the mecha action, such as a duel every episode, or if they'll sprinkle it throughout.

Time will tell!
SonicSP

The show is so far confirmed to be seperated into two cours with one break in between, so there should be less timetable pressure if they want to put in more action scenes.

Not that it's a guerentee of them being in there or anything since quite a few anime does the one cour break thing these days.
SonicSP

The GundamInfo YouTube simulcast for G-Witch will start this Sunday with Episode 1 and 2 coming back to back. Weekly episodes will thereafter be released regularly at Sunday 6PM Japan Standard Time.

https://en.gundam.info/news/video-music/02_7398.html
Poochi

Hard to take this show seriously when episode 2 continues to introduce cartoonishly evil villains.
Code name Lockon Stratos. The man who can snipe from across the stratosphere.
SonicSP

I really enjoyed the episode, despite there not being a battle. Liked the elaboration of the politics here, which feel like Gundam (especially the spacer vs earthers thing) despite being in a different flavor. Loving the company politics so far.

At first I wondered whether maybe just maybe there was a possibility that Miorine was a bit too harsh on her dad but nope he doesn't want to play by his own damn rules either.

Curious to see what Lady Prospera's plan is. She's fairly confident about things playing out as she wants. I wonder whether she predicted Miorine's gambit cos they didn't talk I recall.

Loving the show a lot so far, definitely a lot of potential and so far living up to it.
Kuruni

Seriously, it's usually a disgusting scenario when big companies set aside the moral issue in favor of profit. But since this is Prospera's trick, said "moral issue" being so murky, and it benefit the innocent Suletta, it come off as brilliant instead.

Poor Elan... If they play the trope straight, he'll end up as a decent guy who's doomed from start for being in Yuri story...
SonicSP wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:14 am Curious to see what Lady Prospera's plan is. She's fairly confident about things playing out as she wants. I wonder whether she predicted Miorine's gambit cos they didn't talk I recall.
My impression is that they originally would have the man interrupt the verdict by acts amuse at Prospera's arm and proceed as in the show. Miorrine's arrival just coincidently give them far more impactful opportunity.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Dark Duel

Well, unless that's the grand-daddy of all red herrings, this episode does seem to have very strongly hinted that one of the most popular theories as to who this Prospera woman actually is does appear to be correct.

Pretty enjoyable overall. Definitely coming down from the action of the first episode, but I don't have a problem with that myself. Curious to see what happens next.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SonicSP

Sidenote, for those of you in the US, does the G-Witch episodes from GundamInfo YouTube work for you?
Dark Duel

SonicSP wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:20 pm Sidenote, for those of you in the US, does the G-Witch episodes from GundamInfo YouTube work for you?
I can only see the Prologue. Episodes 1 and 2 are hidden/unavailable.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
JulieYBM

It's so nice having a Sapphic couple as the main focus of a Gundam series. I really liked how #2 saw Miorine as the POV character in contrast to how Suletta was the POV character of the first episode. I wonder if there will be alternating POVs between the episodes? If we're coming up on another battle in #3 then we're definitely in for a focus on Suletta's feelings.
She/Her
zetatype

Well, the new Gundam series is upon us, and so far its off to a pretty good start.

Epsiode 1
Man people really weren't exaggerating with the Utena comparisons; you could literally do a side by side comparison for half the academy scenes. That being said I do like how Suletta is the shy and awkward one and Miorine is the assertive one. Speaking of shy and awkward, they really cranked it up to 11 with Sulletta, which I guess makes sense since she didn't grow up around any kids her age . At the moment I do find it more endearing and amusing (dat butt slap) than annoying, though i hope the show doesn't over play it. Guel definitely comes off a Jerid though time will tell if continues down that road or becomes more of a Patrick Colasour. There isn't much to say about Ariel's "first" fight since the first half is Miorine stumbling around in it and then Suletta curb stumping Guel. Also Guel has got to have the worst aim I have ever seen; he makes stormtroopers look like marksmen by comparison. That being said the animation and music were nice.

Episode 2
No battles, but I like the amount of corporate politics we got. Delling is a grade A asshole and isn't winning winning any father of the year awards. Though i do kinda like how open he is about it and kinda gives off a Charles Vi Britannia vibe (Code Geass). While the prologue implied Earthians are at the bottom of the pecking order, we get some not so subtle hints this t is definitely the case. I'm guessing the Earthians (Nika and Chuatury) are gonna be our window into society outside the academy (at least the earth side). Glad Miorine actually had a plan for escaping beyond just yeeting herself into space back in episode 1. Once again, I really like Miorine's attitude and her telling off Delling even if it didn't do much. The hearing also hints at the extent of Dellings power. He possesses the most power of any one person in that room, but if enough people/ corporations have interests that conflict with his then he cannot outright dismiss them without a very good reason. He may claim to be king, but even a king won't last long if he pisses off all the nobles around him (Vim Jeturk did try to kill with after all). Good episode and I look forward to seeing the Ariel in action next week and hopefully the red mobile suit.

Thoughts on OP and ED

OP
I'll admit that when i first heard snippets of of the opening song I was not a fan since it didn't strike me as gundamish. But after listening to it the past week and seeing the OP, I've grown to like it and it does suit the relatively "relaxed" setting of the school. Its not a banger like "Raise Your Flag", but I guess it doesn't have to be.

ED
The ending theme definitely caught me off guard as I wasn't expecting Supercell of all people. Really digging the song and I think like it more than the opening theme. However, the ED "animations" aren't the best fit for the song's fast tempo (at least not for the first half of the song).
Underrated GM Custom

I enjoyed Episode 2, it certainly slowed down a bit and gave us some world building. I'm intrigued so far by the corporate politics, they've also hinted at mobile suits from other corporations gaining market share, I'm assuming that is the red one we saw in the teaser. I'm also curious why Jeturk's president owes so much so Shin Sei's president. Guess we'll find out in the future.
SonicSP wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:20 pm Sidenote, for those of you in the US, does the G-Witch episodes from GundamInfo YouTube work for you?
I'm not seeing them in Europe either, and its not showing for my friends back in the states either.