The Macross Valkyrie Thread

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

Re: The Macross Valkyrie Thread

What do we know about the green battlesuit that was used by the Zentrandi at the beginning of Macross Plus? It seems like there isn't a lot of information about it on the net.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:30 pm What do we know about the green battlesuit that was used by the Zentrandi at the beginning of Macross Plus? It seems like there isn't a lot of information about it on the net.
Not a lot. It's a more obscure type of Zentradi battle suit leftover from the Protoculture's civil war, though it isn't clear if it was once a part of their standard arsenal like the Glaug was or if it was a niche development by one of the Protoculture's emigrant planets.

It's noted to be structurally similar to the Nousjadeul-Ger but armed like a Queadluun-Rau.

That last point, in connection with remarks about how the Queadluun-Rau was an extremely expensive unit to build and that its super-high performance was beyond what the Zentradi rank-and-file could handle to the point the Protoculture had to make a better breed of pilot specifically for it, led fans to theorize it was an attempt to make the same kind of a battle suit as the Queadluun but at a level that regular Zentradi soldiers could handle.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:11 am Not a lot. It's a more obscure type of Zentradi battle suit leftover from the Protoculture's civil war, though it isn't clear if it was once a part of their standard arsenal like the Glaug was or if it was a niche development by one of the Protoculture's emigrant planets.

It's noted to be structurally similar to the Nousjadeul-Ger but armed like a Queadluun-Rau.

That last point, in connection with remarks about how the Queadluun-Rau was an extremely expensive unit to build and that its super-high performance was beyond what the Zentradi rank-and-file could handle to the point the Protoculture had to make a better breed of pilot specifically for it, led fans to theorize it was an attempt to make the same kind of a battle suit as the Queadluun but at a level that regular Zentradi soldiers could handle.
Oh, so a descendant of the Nousjadeul-Ger? I always wonder why it doesn't have a successor like the Queadluun-Rhea to the Queadluun-Rau. Guess that when you factoring in the cost-effectiveness of the Queadluun-Rhea, it makes more sense to put the resources into just making it.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:42 am Oh, so a descendant of the Nousjadeul-Ger?
Not as such... the line Macross Chronicle takes with it is that it's a separate series of Zentradi battle suit, though they don't take a firm position on whether it was a once-commonplace design that fell out of widespread use like what happened to the Glaug after the factory satellites making it were destroyed or if it was always a niche design made by some isolated corner of the Protoculture's civilization.

(It's one of the rare main timeline hints that, like in Macross II's timeline, Zentradi equipement wasn't standardized across all the fleets. That some designs had fallen out of use, or never gained widespread adoption. Macross II's canon prequel games introduced a bunch of variant battle suits with different armament options and a few alternative battle pod models.)

False Prophet wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:42 am I always wonder why it doesn't have a successor like the Queadluun-Rhea to the Queadluun-Rau. Guess that when you factoring in the cost-effectiveness of the Queadluun-Rhea, it makes more sense to put the resources into just making it.
That's a somewhat different scenario.

The Queadluun-Rhea is a human-designed enhancement to the Zentradi Queadluun-Rau battle suit. The Protoculture's Queadluun-Rau design was expensive to manufacture (in the sense of being complicated and resource-intensive) as a result of its incredibly high performance, and it had an added cost in that its high performance was such that a regular Zentradi pilot couldn't handle it so special pilots (females) had to be engineered to use it to its fullest potential. When the New UN Government was established and the surviving Zentradi forces were integrated into the military, surviving Queadluun-Rau battle suits became highly prized for their dogfighting abilities. Unfortunately, they were already a rare unit in the Zentradi forces and so the availability of replacement parts to keep the New UN Forces' Queadluun-Raus in top condition was low and a combination of battlefield losses and simple wear and tear saw the number of operable suits the New UN Forces had gradually shrink.

So, in the early 2030s, the New UN Forces decided that something had to be done and their solution was simple: They went and seized the Quimliquola factory satellite that'd been producing the Queadluun-Rau suits for the former 118th Main Fleet for themselves. The factory satellite was in poor condition, but it was folded to a Lagrange point in orbit of Eden and General Galaxy was contracted to carry out repairs and renovations on the facility and to develop a next-gen improved model Queadluun-Rau. Those two projects led to the heavy Queadluun-Rau influence on the YF-21 program, including the adoption of the Queadluun-Rau's difficult-to-reproduce inertia capacitor. The quest for an improved type Queadluun-Rau resulted in redesigning the Protoculture's high-end battle suit to improve operator safety, survivability, comfort, and solo operation capability. Redundant circuits were added to the control system, its sensors and stealth capabilities were improved, its avionics package was enhanced to include a rudimentary BDI system similar to what General Galaxy had developed for the production VF-22 and to support fold booster operation, it was given even more powerful engines than the original Queadluun-Rau's, and additional armaments were added including an anti-warship impact cannon. When they were done, the new suit was dubbed Queadluun-Rhea, and boasted performance that was on the high end of what 4th Generation VFs could achieve and nearly able to rival a 5th Generation VF by the 2056 model's introduction with 25G straight-line acceleration (the VF-25's straight-line acceleration is 30.5G).
The Macross Mecha Manual
hitokirigarou

Were the YF/VF-19's wing root laser guns ever used in animation?
Seto Kaiba

hitokirigarou wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:17 am Were the YF/VF-19's wing root laser guns ever used in animation?
IIRC they're used in one or two shots in Guld and Isamu's dogfight on Earth in Macross Plus.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

I still haven't watched the second Delta movie. Was there any scene that the Draken III put its sword to good use? If I remember correctly, they didn't do much on TV, so I always think that these swords have ceremonial use more than anything.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:47 am I still haven't watched the second Delta movie. Was there any scene that the Draken III put its sword to good use? If I remember correctly, they didn't do much on TV, so I always think that these swords have ceremonial use more than anything.
I've not seen it either... nobody outside of Japan has, since it's not available on Blu-ray until September... but as I understand it from the summaries of the film I've read and the official publications for the film, the Drakens don't last long at all in the film.

Heimdall basically rolls up and Worfs the Aerial Knights and Delta Flight and that's how...
Spoiler
Bogue ends up flying with Xaos as Delta 06 and they all end up switching to the Kairos Plus.
The Macross Mecha Manual