Gundam MK-IV Lineage

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Underrated GM Custom

Gundam MK-IV Lineage

I was reading over the MK-IV profile and something caught my eye. It's mentioned that the Gundam MK-IV was developed from AE's Gundam MK-III. I found this rather surprising since at this point and time AE was backing the AEUG. The MK-III was developed by AE based off of the captured MK-IIs and more than a few were produced, as I recall there was a red one intended for Char.

Is there anything stating how the Titans got their hand on a MK-III? I know the MK-IV was inserted into the timeline between the MK-III and MK-V as an INCOM testing suit but I'm curious if there's anymore background info on it.

Related note. Is there any additional information on the MK-III Halpuley or Eagley types that were shown in Gundam Wars? I thought I read a post by Mark on those in the past but I'm having a hard time locating it now. I'm trying to track down if those were AE produced or Titans produced. Thanks!
Seto Kaiba

Re: Gundam MK-IV Lineage

TBH, the idea that the Titans independently developed the Mk.II is pretty silly on the face of it... they're a special forces unit, not a megacorp with the resources to develop and manufacture their own Mobile Suits without outside assistance.

Anaheim Electronics was playing both sides in basically every conflict while they were the dominant (or only) player in the Mobile Suit industry... so it wouldn't be at all surprising if they took the fruits of their work for the AEUG and used it in developing new products for the Titans as well. They were the quintessential jerkass arms dealers selling to both sides to keep wars going.

(Mind you, it's MSV... expecting it to make logical sense is a fool's errand at best.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Mafty

To be fair the Titans were run by the power hungry Jamitov Hyman , and there was a lot of support (not to mention funding, the Titans had multiple new mobile suits and a whole new fleet of ships) from the Federation Post operation Stardust. It basically seemed like the Federation threw everything behind the Titans, thus explaining the amount of units they had.

Gundam for the most part actually does a good job at explaining where all the factions get their funding (Zeon and it's remnants had an entire side, and several rich backers, The Titans had the full financial support of the Federation, Crossbone Vanguard was funded by an aristocratic family, Zanscare worked with the Jupiter Energy Fleet and took over Side 2's BESPA Facilities, ZAFT had advanced technology and manufacturing facilities, etc.) Plus as has been said before in most of UC Anaheim is willing to sell to anyone.

Speaking of the MK II and the Titans, if Franklin Bidan worked on MS design for the Federation, does that mean he also worked on Project V?
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:50 pm I was reading over the MK-IV profile and something caught my eye. It's mentioned that the Gundam MK-IV was developed from AE's Gundam MK-III. I found this rather surprising since at this point and time AE was backing the AEUG. The MK-III was developed by AE based off of the captured MK-IIs and more than a few were produced, as I recall there was a red one intended for Char.

Is there anything stating how the Titans got their hand on a MK-III? I know the MK-IV was inserted into the timeline between the MK-III and MK-V as an INCOM testing suit but I'm curious if there's anymore background info on it.

Related note. Is there any additional information on the MK-III Halpuley or Eagley types that were shown in Gundam Wars? I thought I read a post by Mark on those in the past but I'm having a hard time locating it now. I'm trying to track down if those were AE produced or Titans produced. Thanks!
AE also helped developed the Mk-II. That is why they can give it a beam rifle so quick.
AE is a VERY big company. Its different branches helped different sides, so they can maximise their revenue and stay in the competition for so long. Cut the branch that were discovered to be helping "the enemy", they will never lose.
As to how Titans got their hands on the Mk-III, AE sold the Mk-III data to Titans, and AE sent Chief Technician Fujita and his team to Augusta to help in development(Hence the AE numbering of Mk-IV is MSF-008)

BTW, the Mk-IV was SD Gundam G-Generations Zero addition and not MSV, there was a design competition in Comic Bonbon, but the two winners didn't get used in the game.
Underrated GM Custom

Oh yeah I know the MK-IV was an SD Gundam premiere, the Scirocco built Titania also debuted in G-Generation as I recall.

Is AE developing the MK-II / beam rifle a retcon or addition with later publications? AE playing both sides of nearly every conflict was developed after Zeta premiered (remarkably so in 0083), they were far less friendly towards the Titans during Zeta's runtime so I'm surprised to hear they sold data to the Titans on the MK-III. Is that from MSV, the Anaheim Design log or something else?
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:22 pm Oh yeah I know the MK-IV was an SD Gundam premiere, the Scirocco built Titania also debuted in G-Generation as I recall.

Is AE developing the MK-II / beam rifle a retcon or addition with later publications? AE playing both sides of nearly every conflict was developed after Zeta premiered (remarkably so in 0083), they were far less friendly towards the Titans during Zeta's runtime so I'm surprised to hear they sold data to the Titans on the MK-III. Is that from MSV, the Anaheim Design log or something else?
You have them giving the Mk-II a beam rifle in show, there's no way AE/AEUG got the original beam rifle for it. So it is pretty early on and not retcon that AE got Mk-II's beam rifle developed in such short notice.
BTW, the Titans' version is made by BOWA, iirc it is also an AE subbranch purchased after OYW. This is definitely retcon though, the full story was given in UC Arms gallery product line and Titans recruited Bowa and Brash for a design competition and AE got the data from both(both are their branches) and the Titans picked the Bowa version while AEUG got the Brash version using data and captured Bowa gun to manufacture.

The Marasai was given to Titans by AE and this is definitely the same time frame as the premier.(BTW, the name might have been an anagram of imasara)

So while during Zeta's runtime they were less friendly, that likely is just because the branch we see in show is the one dealing with AEUG and shows such attitude. But they definitely already have the merchant of death undertones during the time.(likely brought over from L-Gaim)

Don't know if this counts as retcon or reinforcing the view, Ecole du Ciel had them seeing a Mk-II(unit 1) in AE when picking up their own swan.
Underrated GM Custom

Very interesting, thanks for the info! I didn't realize AE had vacuumed up BOWA and BLASH after the OYW. I haven't read Ecole du Ciel yet but I've been meaning to get around to it.

I ended up finding the old thread about the MK-III Halpuley and Eagley. viewtopic.php?t=5282&start=120
As for the rival Gundam Mark III designs, the RX-166 Eagley probably doesn't belong in continuity anymore, since designer Kazumi Fujita retconned it into an Anaheim design when he did his Zeta MSV series. The original explanation was that it was developed by the Titans at Kilimanjaro, and the incomplete prototype was destroyed when the base collapsed. As for the Halpuley, it was supposedly developed at Gryps between the theft of the Gundam Mark II and the Jaburo invasion.

-- Mark
Also some interesting discussion about development trees in there. Halpuley was developed from the MK-II and Gaplant.
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:14 am Very interesting, thanks for the info! I didn't realize AE had vacuumed up BOWA and BLASH after the OYW. I haven't read Ecole du Ciel yet but I've been meaning to get around to it.

Yeah, and consider both were already designing stuff for EFF during OYW(retconned, but iirc BOWA made RX-78's generator and Brash/Blash made the beam rifle), it makes perfect sense that Titans still contracted them.

Ecole du Ciel is unfortunately unfinished and on indefinite hiatus. I don't think it will ever finish, probably as slim a chance as Hunter x Hunter. (while the reason of the hiatus is because Macross the First, that was also on hiatus for over 2.5 years now... the next arc is going to be Miss Macross BTW.)
Mafty

A bit off subject, but who was the Merchant of Death in L-Gaim? Was it Amandra Kalamandra? Also a lot of the Sunrise shows do recycle/reference character archetypes or plot points(Reese in Gundam F91 is an expy of Leina from ZZ, And Gosterro and Yazan from Layzner and Zeta are very similar to each other, The whole European Aristocracy tries to take over is seen in varying forms in F91, Victory, and Gundam Wing, An attack from space on Australia in seen in Dragonar before being retconned in Stardust Memory, etc).
Arsarcana

Mafty wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:07 am A bit off subject, but who was the Merchant of Death in L-Gaim? Was it Amandra Kalamandra?
Yes, he supplies weapons to both the Empire and the rebels fighting against it.
Spoiler
And as it turns out, he is the Emperor.
Underrated GM Custom

MythSearcher wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:40 pm Yeah, and consider both were already designing stuff for EFF during OYW(retconned, but iirc BOWA made RX-78's generator and Brash/Blash made the beam rifle), it makes perfect sense that Titans still contracted them.

Ecole du Ciel is unfortunately unfinished and on indefinite hiatus. I don't think it will ever finish, probably as slim a chance as Hunter x Hunter. (while the reason of the hiatus is because Macross the First, that was also on hiatus for over 2.5 years now... the next arc is going to be Miss Macross BTW.)
Yeah BLASH did the Beam rifle for the RX78 as well as the RX79G and I think the GM Sniper, all the lower output stuff was done by BOWA if I recall. The Anaheim Journal blog did a series on the Master Archive a while back, here it is: https://anaheimjournal.blogspot.com/201 ... apons.html

I've heard Ecole du Ciel was on hiatus due to Macross but I remember hearing that many years ago. Surprised that both of them have been delayed for so long. Hopefully at some point the artist finds their inspiration again.