GUN X SWORD

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mafty

GUN X SWORD

So I realize that this is an older series, but what are everyone's thought's on it? I thought the setting was interesting, the characters were enjoyable, and the Mecha design was quite cool looking (though some of the mechs were kinda weird). The story's focus on revenge is oddly straightforward and uncritical of this element. Also It seems to mix a couple of different series settings and characters together ( Van is sorta like Spike Spiegel, and the English dub makes them sound even more similar, The Eldorado 5 are full of references to old school Super Robot Anime, Michael has several Gundam SEED references and shares Kira's voice actor, some of the suits operate like the ones in G Gundam, the series starts off in a Desert Punk setting like Trigun and Van's tuxedo looks a bit like Vash's Jacket, Carossa & Melissa are two super powerful children who have somehow joined a powerful empire and pilot mechs, are kinda like Hanmyo from Outlaw Star, a super powerful child who is part of a powerful empire and pilots her own ship, plus Like Cowboy Bebop there are a ton of references to American Movies). That being said the series dosent feel like a ripoff and manages to be pretty enjoyable in it's own right. I have no idea how popular this series was ratings wise, but it seems to have been forgotten after it ended.
SonicSP

Re: GUN X SWORD

It's been on my to watch list for more than a decade......still haven't gotten to it.
Underrated GM Custom

I saw a few episodes back in the day but never finished it. Gun X Sword was added into SRW 30, and playing through it reminded me of some of the humorous parts of it. I'll give it a another shot when I've got more free time.

Does anyone remember who was the primary mecha designer for it? Dann of Thursday has an Obari look to it.
PowerdGNFlag

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:32 am Does anyone remember who was the primary mecha designer for it? Dann of Thursday has an Obari look to it.
ANN tells me that it's Seiji Handa, and most of his current design work is for monster design on the later Yu-Gi-Oh series (starting with Zexal).
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Mafty

Also there were several guest mechanical designers on the series such as Gorou Murata (who worked on Sakura Wars and the Big O) in episode 4,Hitoshi Fukuchi( Who worked on Blue Gender and Gundam 00 in episode 5,Kyouma Aki(Who worked on Persona, Dangaizer and not much else) in episodes 3 and 8,Noriyuki Jinguji(Who worked on S-cry-Ed and Zegapain) in episodes2 and 5,Okama(Who did designs for Aqaurion) in episode 14, and Seiichi Nakatani(who worked on numerous Gundam series and Code Geass) in episodes 1,3, and 7. Handa seems relatively obscure as a mech design, which may be why the designs are kinda different from the guest creators other works (Except the Eldorados mech is a Super Robot Homage like the Super Pinch Crusher in S-cry-Ed).
Kuruni

Eldora also has fun gimmicks.
1. It has Hell and Heaven style finisher, but with one arm broken before pull it off, we only see the move in SRW K.
2. When it change from Eldora IV to Eldora V, its looks brighter as if it has PS armor activate ...the explanation is that the heat from increased power simply blows all dust off.
3. Near the end, it become golden like G Gundam's hyper mode ...turns out that it simply paint peeled off.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Underrated GM Custom

PowerdGNFlag wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:57 am
Underrated GM Custom wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:32 am Does anyone remember who was the primary mecha designer for it? Dann of Thursday has an Obari look to it.
ANN tells me that it's Seiji Handa, and most of his current design work is for monster design on the later Yu-Gi-Oh series (starting with Zexal).
Gotcha thank you. Dann reminded me a bit of Dangaioh, I'm not familiar with Yu-Gi-Oh but it looks like it has a wide array of artwork, so I guess Seiji Handa has been busy.

El Dora V sounds like a lot of fun, I've been on a super robot kick lately so that pushed me over to the edge to putting Gun X Sword next on my watch list.