The Macross Valkyrie Thread

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
yazi88

Re: The Macross Valkyrie Thread

By that logic, it would seem weird in Macross 30 that NUNS special forces unit Havamal did not use the VF-24, instead using the YF-29B...

Although ironically enough there is no info about that YF-29B either like the actual VF-24.

But there is a actual VF-24 right? Its likely a production version of the YF-24 Evolution right?
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:47 pm By that logic, it would seem weird in Macross 30 that NUNS special forces unit Havamal did not use the VF-24, instead using the YF-29B...

Although ironically enough there is no info about that YF-29B either like the actual VF-24.
Not really, I think... the VF-24 was supposed to be the Earth/Federal New UN Forces next main fighter. The fighter replacing the VF-171 Nightmare Plus in their inventory. The Special Forces, and especially the VF-X Special Forces, typically use dedicated Special Forces hardware.

That said, it's also highly likely that the VF-24 simply wasn't available in large numbers yet either. It takes years to start the process of phasing a new model of fighter into service. Plants have to tool up for production and start to actually manufacture them. Trial production lots have to be sent out for operational evaluation (basically military acceptance testing). Once the production spec is frozen based on feedback from that, then production begins and from there the process of retraining has to start. Based on what's been said for other models of VF from the same generation, that's easily 3-4 years. The VF-25, the trial production lot for which was delivered in 2058, was set to start entering service in the 2060s. Variable Fighter Master File, though unofficial, has the first operational squadrons delivered around 2061 and true operational capacity around 2064 (~6 years). Similarly, the VF-31 Kairos had its first trial production airframes delivered to Xaos for testing by mid-2065 (one is seen in Walkure's flashback episode) and per Kawamori's comments in Great Mechanics G it's set to enter New UN Forces service around 2-3 years after the events of the series (2069-2070).

Macross 30's set in 2060, three years after the Earth/Federal New UN Forces decided to adopt the VF-24. It's highly likely there simply aren't any VF-24s to be had, outside of a trial production lot that's likely being kept close to Earth... or that only a few squadrons are currently equipped with it at the time. Havamal, as a VF-X unit, was waaaaay out in the space boonies when it was operating from Uroboros. Made worse by the fact that the (artificial) fold faults around the planet were so bad that it was frequently cut off from the rest of the galaxy for months at a time.

yazi88 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:47 pm But there is a actual VF-24 right? Its likely a production version of the YF-24 Evolution right?
Macross Chronicle explicitly states that the YF-24 Evolution was approved to enter production as the Earth New UN Forces' next main fighter... that makes it pretty definite that the VF-24 exists.

Variable Fighter Master File also makes fairly frequent explicit reference to the VF-24, and specifically the VF-24A, as Earth's new main variable fighter in the 2060s.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
hitokirigarou

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:49 pmThe exact source is Technology Sheet 01P, which is the fourth in a series of four articles in the official encyclopedia discussing the development of various generations of VF.
I only see "YF-24" but no "VF-24" in that article.
Seto Kaiba

hitokirigarou wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:37 am I only see "YF-24" but no "VF-24" in that article.
It doesn't mention the VF-24 directly, but as noted in my previous post that Technology Sheet does describe the outcome of Shinsei Industry's demonstration of the completed YF-24 Evolution in 2057 as resulting in the New UN Forces drafting and approving a plan to adopt the YF-24 Evolution as the next main fighter.

It's the last sentence in the section titled "Formalized YF-24 Evolution", directly above Isamu's portrait.

"YF" is a prototype designation. Once the design moves out of the prototype phase and enters trial production, the "YF" designation is replaced with "VF" to denote its status as a production model theoretically ready for actual service. The variant letters start from A and trial production is usually Block 0, so the first VF-24s off Shinsei's lines would be called VF-24A-0. From there, it's into Operational Evaluation - the military's final acceptance testing - and once it clears that it enters mass production and the process of transitioning to the new aircraft begins in earnest.

Variable Fighter Master File certainly makes no bones about saying "VF-24" and "VF-24A" at every opportunity to talk about Earth's 5th Gen main VF.
Spoiler
Some volumes have other fun details buried in them... like reference to a military spec YF-30B along a similar line to the YF-29B, and even a VF-30.
The Macross Mecha Manual
hitokirigarou

Is there art or animation of the VF-171 either ejecting its gunpod from its leg compartment or storing it away?

Supposedly the gunpod is stored inside one of the legs but I've seen the 1/60 toy mount the gunpod externally underneath the main body.
Seto Kaiba

hitokirigarou wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:19 pm Is there art or animation of the VF-171 either ejecting its gunpod from its leg compartment or storing it away?
Not that I recall...

Its writeups in Macross Chronicle and other official publications do indicate that the VF-171 stores its gunpod internally in the leg in the same manner as the VF-17, though.

hitokirigarou wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:19 pm Supposedly the gunpod is stored inside one of the legs but I've seen the 1/60 toy mount the gunpod externally underneath the main body.
Yeah, the DX Chogokin toy does offer the option to mount the gunpod ventrally.

Normally, the gunpod is only mounted externally if the fighter has some other equipment attached that's interfering with the gunpod bay like the armored packs on the legs of the VF-171EX.
The Macross Mecha Manual
hitokirigarou

Are those guns on the forearms of the Armored VF-25, Tornado VF-25, and YF-29?

https://i2.wp.com/anymoon.com/blog/wp-c ... 25-101.jpg
https://i1.wp.com/anymoon.com/blog/wp-c ... 25F-10.jpg
https://i1.wp.com/anymoon.com/blog/wp-c ... Set-17.jpg
https://i1.wp.com/anymoon.com/blog/wp-c ... Set-19.jpg

Since they have different heads, are there separate designations for the Isamu and Ozma versions of the YF-29?
Seto Kaiba

hitokirigarou wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:16 am Are those guns on the forearms of the Armored VF-25, Tornado VF-25, and YF-29?
Nope, those are high-thrust verniers.

hitokirigarou wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:16 am Since they have different heads, are there separate designations for the Isamu and Ozma versions of the YF-29?
Somewhat frustratingly, they are not.

None of the YF-29s in Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy are referred to with 改 or any verbiage that would suggest customization or modification in the game itself or in its official guidebook/artbook. They're listed with no other notation besides who the pilot is, as: "YF-29 (Alto's aircraft)", "YF-29 (Ozma's aircraft)", and "YF-29 (Isamu's aircraft)" respectively.

The only anomaly is the Bandai DX Chogokin toy packaging. They also use "YF-29 (Firstname's aircraft)" in Japanese but the accompanying English text says "Full Name Custom" instead.
The Macross Mecha Manual
hitokirigarou

Looking at the VF-22 Master File, it seems that when the VF-22 equips a reaction missile, it also removes the nearby compartment that houses the gunpod and micro-missiles? Speaking of that compartment, can it equip both a gunpod and micro-missiles at the same time?

What kind of weapons are the LPP-12 (VF-19 Master File), ALP-125 (VF-22 Master File), and LPA-14A/LPA-14Fx (VF-25 Master File)? How do they work in combat?
Seto Kaiba

hitokirigarou wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:27 am Looking at the VF-22 Master File, it seems that when the VF-22 equips a reaction missile, it also removes the nearby compartment that houses the gunpod and micro-missiles? Speaking of that compartment, can it equip both a gunpod and micro-missiles at the same time?
So... Variable Fighter Master File: VF-22 Sturmvogel II has issues. Not the least of which being that the title's actually wrong. Sturmvögel is the plural form of Sturmvogel. It's not as well-researched as some of the other books and takes certain strange liberties in places.

For some reason, the artists working on this book couldn't keep it straight in their heads that the gunpod containers on the underside were a FAST Pack in the YF-21 only and that the design was revised to store the gunpods internally on the production version. So some of the art inexplicably shows the production VF-22s with a YF-21-like underside.

The loading diagram on page 087 is mostly correct in the respect that it shows the "bomb bay" of the VF-22 exists in the space between the engine nacelles, while the gunpod racks and micro missile pallets are attached to the engine nacelle itself. It can equip both a gunpod and micro-missiles at the same time, the gunpod is basically mag-locked onto the inside of that swing plate, while the micro-missile pallet is on the outside.

hitokirigarou wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:27 am What kind of weapons are the LPP-12 (VF-19 Master File), ALP-125 (VF-22 Master File), and LPA-14A/LPA-14Fx (VF-25 Master File)? How do they work in combat?
It's an odd little weapon that might be best described as the opposite of a funnel missile.

Where a funnel missile like the ones on the Penelope or the Xi Gundam are psycommu-controlled missiles with high explosive warheads, the Propelled Laser Pods in the Master File books for the VF-19, VF-22, and VF-25 are a conventional (by Macross's standards, anyway) guided missile system that has a high-output laser cannon and energy capacitor for same in place of an explosive warhead. They're meant to be able to independently pursue an enemy (in space) and fire on it with their built in laser cannon.

There's a related pod called the SPP-8 in the VF-19 book which is a similar rocket-propelled pod that has an eight barrel Metal Storm-style rapid fire gun with 100 rounds instead.

(These two are modeled on unidentified weapons seen in the YF-19-2 art from one of the artbooks.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
hitokirigarou

What are the differences between these gunpods used by the VF-22: Howard/General GV-17L and Howard BP-14D?

Which are the default wing root guns for the YF-19 (Mauler REB-20G or Mauler REB-23) and VF-25 / VF-27 (Mauler ROV-25 or Remmington ES-25A??
Seto Kaiba

hitokirigarou wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:18 am What are the differences between these gunpods used by the VF-22: Howard/General GV-17L and Howard BP-14D?
An excellent question... and one with no clear answer.

Prior to the first edition of Macross Chronicle, I don't believe there was any mention of an alternate model of gunpod for the VF-22. Its only model of gunpod was the Hughes/GE GV-17L that had been developed for the YF-21's use. Exactly what the difference is... well, nobody seems to have thought that far ahead.

The only comment we have on that note comes from a note in the margin of page 077 of Variable Fighter Master File: VF-22 Sturmvogel II. That note offers only that the Hughes/GE GV-17L and Howard BP-14D are essentially the same weapon made to slightly different specifications by two different manufacturers. That would mean both weapons are rotary cannons of unspecified caliber driven by high-torque electric motors which are designed to use caseless ammunition.

Master File is not official setting material, so that answer may or may not be valid for the official setting of Macross. Like the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie-Roll Pop, the world may never know.

hitokirigarou wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:18 am Which are the default wing root guns for the YF-19 (Mauler REB-20G or Mauler REB-23) and VF-25 / VF-27 (Mauler ROV-25 or Remmington ES-25A??
Macross Chronicle indicates that the YF-19's standard fitting was the REB-23 laser cannon.

Both the VF-25 and VF-27 are equipped with the Mauler ROV-25 beam machine gun in their stock configuration. In response to the evidence that the Vajra were adapting to better resist the conventional weapons that'd been used against them up to that point, the ROV-25 beam machine guns were replaced with the ES-25A machine guns which sacrificed endurance for enhanced armor-piercing ammunition and eventually MDE shells.
The Macross Mecha Manual
hitokirigarou

I've never seen the VF-19 (A-D) equipped with the NP-BAP-15c booster units in GERWALK and battroid modes. Are they mounted on the shoulders or back?

Do the super/FAST packs of the VF-11, VF-17, VF-25, VF-27, VF-31, Sv-262 have designations? What about the armored packs of the VF-25 and VF-31?
Seto Kaiba

hitokirigarou wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:01 am I've never seen the VF-19 (A-D) equipped with the NP-BAP-15c booster units in GERWALK and battroid modes.
Odds are you never will... that particular configuration was something that Variable Fighter Master File's writers came up with, and doesn't appear in Macross's official setting.

hitokirigarou wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:01 am Are they mounted on the shoulders or back?
It's difficult to tell, because the art really isn't easy to make out... but it looks like the attachment point is on the shoulders. This'd probably prevent the VF-19 from transforming since the packs would end up facing each other.

hitokirigarou wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:01 am Do the super/FAST packs of the VF-11, VF-17, VF-25, VF-27, VF-31, Sv-262 have designations? What about the armored packs of the VF-25 and VF-31?
Presumably they do... but individual pack model numbers are not usually given in favor of referring to the packs collectively by configuration.

I believe the only other model besides the VF-1 Valkyrie to have individual FAST Pack model numbers cited in official Macross setting materials is the VF-11.

Variable Fighter Master File offers unofficial designations for certain packs on other models of VF.
The Macross Mecha Manual
hitokirigarou

Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:35 am I believe the only other model besides the VF-1 Valkyrie to have individual FAST Pack model numbers cited in official Macross setting materials is the VF-11.
Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:35 am Variable Fighter Master File offers unofficial designations for certain packs on other models of VF.
Can you post the designations?
Seto Kaiba

hitokirigarou wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:27 pm
Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:35 am I believe the only other model besides the VF-1 Valkyrie to have individual FAST Pack model numbers cited in official Macross setting materials is the VF-11.
Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:35 am Variable Fighter Master File offers unofficial designations for certain packs on other models of VF.
Can you post the designations?
I'll have to get back to you on some of them, since some of my books are up in my study.

The VF-1 Valkyrie's Super Pack parts are numbered NP-BP-01 (boosters), NP-AR-01 (arms), and NP-FB-01 (legs). Master File asserts several variants of each, with the TV series version of the Super Pack being NP-BP-01A, NP-AR-01B, and NP-FB-01B and the movie version being NP-BP-01B, NP-FB-01B, and NP-AR-01C.

The VF-11 Thunderbolt's booster packs are listed as NP-SP-09, and the conformal leg tanks as NP-SF-09.

Master File lists the YF-19 and VF-19A-D's conformal packs as NP-AB-20b (legs) and NP-FB-FA07 for the upper arms, and the VF-19F/S type's as NP-BAP-21 (boosters) and NP-AR-24 (legs).

Master File lists the VF-25's booster as NP-FAD-23 and declines to name any of the other components.

The only component of the VF-25's Armored Pack to be given any kind of identification is a component omitted from the VF-25 configurations we've seen. An armor piece for the nose with the part identifier P-011.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Going on the left field, have anyone played a PS1 game called Space Griffon VF-9? The titular mech though does not transform look suspiciously like the VF-11 and other Valkyries. I haven't looked into who did mechanical design for the series, but I wouldn't be surprise if there is an interview which he/she talked about being inspired by Macross.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:00 am Going on the left field, have anyone played a PS1 game called Space Griffon VF-9? The titular mech though does not transform look suspiciously like the VF-11 and other Valkyries. I haven't looked into who did mechanical design for the series, but I wouldn't be surprise if there is an interview which he/she talked about being inspired by Macross.
Never even heard of it. The reviews are... impressively bad

There's a distinct Macross touch to the mecha around the head, but IMO it mainly looks like something out of Zeta Gundam.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Anyone had a good look at the carrier in the movie? Was it the Battle Galaxy repaired, or a completely new carrier?

Also, any reason given why Hayate and Mirage were given the VF-31AX instead of the C and J? I'm not complaining though. Mirage's new machine looks especially nice.
Seto Kaiba

There has been no detail provided yet about Battle Astraea... it does appear to be a salvaged Battle Galaxy based on its hull color and the number on its carrier deck.

What little we know of the Kairos Plus is that it's an improv replacement for the Siegfrieds after...
Spoiler
... the Sv-303 Vivasvats deployed by Heimdall absolutely punk them.
The Macross Mecha Manual