The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Arbiter GUNDAM

The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Our friends over at MacrossWorld have some exciting news for us!

Macross Frontier has been re-broadcasting on Tokyo MX and after the credits rolled for the 25th episode there was a surprise announcement: We're getting a new Macross TV series!!! And it probably will be coming to us before the 35th anniversary in 2017!!

Right now there's not much info on it other than we're getting it but MW member antibiotictab posted a link for a NicoNico broadcast that might have some more info.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
wielder

Re: NEW Macross TV series!!!

More Macross is always good news, even though the utter lack of details keeps my reaction a little restrained. We don't even know if it's coming this year or the next, for example.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
MrMarch

Yeah, sadly there is very little to report other than confirmation of the series existing as an upcoming project. But just news of a new series is enough. Very excited for what it could be. The speculation will run wild :)
Zeonista

Apparently Macross Frontier and the 30th anniversary game have been encouraging for development. The enduring popularity of the Frontier story has probably encouraged further development sooner than we might have expected. That being said, Macross was my first love of mecha anime, and I am always excited when the old girl gets to strut her stuff again. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Zeino

DECULTURE!

(please be about what happened to Megaroad please be about what happened to Megaroad)
Arbiter GUNDAM

MrMarch wrote:Yeah, sadly there is very little to report other than confirmation of the series existing as an upcoming project. But just news of a new series is enough. Very excited for what it could be. The speculation will run wild :)
March! I didn't know you were on this forum? :D

--Freyja Wion
MrMarch

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
MrMarch wrote:Yeah, sadly there is very little to report other than confirmation of the series existing as an upcoming project. But just news of a new series is enough. Very excited for what it could be. The speculation will run wild :)
March! I didn't know you were on this forum? :D
Yes, used to post more. I've kept visiting and reading (especially the art section), but haven't posted anything in a dog's age. News of a new Macross series convinced me to join in again. Also a new long-overdue update to my site is in the coming months, so I figured I'd get back to activity on a bunch of the forums.

Hope we get more news of the next series soon. So much fan speculation now, I'm hungry for some facts :)
Arbiter GUNDAM

You know what the next series should be? It should be about the cast making a documentry of all the previous shows. Each episode would be half clipshow and sometimes they'd play music over the clips but sometimes it would be the wrong music, for example, playing "Pillow Dream" over the Speaker Pod Gamma scene from M7. :D

--Freyja Wion
MrMarch

A Super Dimension Macross Mockumentary. Has a nice ring to it :)

I honestly don't know what I want yet from the next Macross series. I'm still trying to work out what would be the best approach to a new series that would be frehs and interesting. That's a tall order. But I like the idea of the next series perhaps once again taking an approach that deviates from the standard foundations of the Macross franchise. I'm not saying I want a repeat of something like Macross Plus, but a Macross show that did away with one of the fundamental corner stones of Macross (idol singer, war, alien villain/bystander,etc) might be a way to break free from formula and tell a different story. Macross Plus had no war. So maybe I'd like to see a change in context, scope or focus.
Raikoh

I still want an idol singer, if only for the hope that Nana will eventually score a leading role in Macross. Since Nana and Kanno together would be a dream come true.

But since Frontier was basically printing money (well, in Japan), I think I'm expecting something in the same vein.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
MrMarch

Raikoh wrote:But since Frontier was basically printing money (well, in Japan), I think I'm expecting something in the same vein.
I have mixed emotions about that. Financially, it makes perfect sense that something in a vein similar to Macross Frontier would be the format of the next Macross sereries for the exact reason you state. But Kawamori seems to make something different with Macross every time, for good or bad. I can't see something too close to Macross Frontier or I would think Kawamori wouldn't do it.
nacho-wan

But here's the thing with Kawamori. He is very exciting doing odd things through Satellite like Nobunaga the Fool and the Aquarion series. I think he might go and delegate the next macross to somebody he trust, maybe putting his name but not getting involved in the day to day
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
MrMarch

I suppose it's possible that the next Macross series will not see Kawamori involved, but I doubt that will happen. Kawamori was involved in all original Macross material except Macross II in 1992. Guess we'll have to wait and see, but I'll wager Kawamori is show runner again.
zerogradius

Zeino wrote:DECULTURE!

(please be about what happened to Megaroad please be about what happened to Megaroad)
I second that notion. We should have gotten a series about the SDF 2 Megaroad 01 for the thirtieth anniversary. I really wish we would get new Macross material at the pace Gundam releases theirs. I would take Macross over Gundam Age any day (just as long as it is not too much like Macross 7).
MrMarch

I always welcome more Macross, but I think I'm okay with the slower pace of the Macross productions. I don't ever get burned out on Macross because of too much material and don't ever feel compelled to watch dozens of shows to keep up with it. I like that I can pace my fandom for Macross and it also makes it much easier to manage financially :)
Aki

2017...so far away
Arbiter GUNDAM

Who says it'll be 2017? Kawamori mentioned in an interview about a month or so ago that the new show is in pre-production. I think it might, MIGHT be out in late 2015 maybe 2016.

--Freyja Wion
Chris
Administrator

I think the assumption is because 2017 would be the 35th anniversary. After the original series, pretty much every new Macross production has only come out during an anniversary year, aside from Plus and 7.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
SonicSP

Zeino wrote:DECULTURE!

Yes, I wish it would be about this as well.