The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Nitramy

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

The strange and funny thing about "UC elitism" is that I have been called that after simply saying something about DESTINY and its less-than-stellar (pun unintended) story; where the only UC I've seen is CCA and a few bits of 08th MS Team and Victory.

Even now I still have to rein myself in from commenting on people going on how Destiny is their favorite series because Kira and Athrun / Strike Freedom and Infinite Justice are this-and-that... 00 slipped under the radar for some of these fans too.
"No, it is not your lack of experience that is your greatest flaw. It is your disdain. Your defeats will not come from those more brilliant than you. They will come from the patient, the plodding, the mediocre." - Shibumi
Android raptor

I've had the most problems with UC fans who think their opinions = the only Godly truths of the universe. Especially rabid Char fanboys who bash characters like Kishiria Zabi into the ground for getting in the way of Mr. Aznable, say things like "You're not a real Gundam fan, GTFO my fandom!" to anyone for not liking Char, and don't seem to realize that just because you like a character doesn't mean you agree with their ideals/actions. This doesn't apply to sane Char fans, who are just as awesome as anyone else.

I'm also annoyed by the tendency for some UC fans to take everything I say as bullshit because I'm a fangirl and my opinions don't match theirs *gasp!* Granted I've been pretty fucking stupid in the past, but I have been really trying to fix that as of late.

On a related note, UC fans who think yaoi is the cancer killing Gundam also make me irritated. Believe it or not, Gundam yaoi has existed as long as Gundam has. I've seen CharXGarma doujins older than I am pop up on Y!J, and lord only knows how many Japanese fansites are out there devoted to UC yaoi art (though barely any feature a certain someone, unfortunately). And honestly, UC can be just as slashable (if not even more slashable) than Wing or whatever at times.

I can see where the idea/fear comes from though, since we all know about Wing and it's fangirls. However, I guarantee us few UC yaoi fans over on this side of the world hate the insane Wing fangirls just as much as you all. Hell, I think one of the huge reasons why I have such a distaste for Wing is from having to hear their nonsense for years in place of anything I really wanted.

And honestly, not all of us only care about hawt bishies(tm) or make characters so OOC it's nauseating. I love to pair Giren up with Ghinius, because hey, methinks Giren would mess around and Ghinius would be there and convenient, and it is very hot indeed (for me anyway), but the instant any real or healthy romance develops those characters are no longer Giren Zabi and Ghinius Sakhalin. Yeah, I imagine Giren respecting Ghinius's intelligence and ability to design mobile weaponry, but as a person Giren really doesn't give a rat's behind about him and has no qualms about "eliminating" him if need be. And I'm pretty convinced the only way Ghinius would ever be capable of having a healthy romantic relationship is if he ended up with someone incredibly stable and patient (bonus points if said someone has a Psych degree).

Sorry if that was just incoherent rambling, for I need to hit the sack badly.
Let me show you my Pokemons!
Liking characters no one else does since 1989.
krullnar

Wow that took awhile to get through but after reading every ones comments I've come to the conclusion that talk like this only separates us as a community, and that's what we are.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Enchanter468

Wulver wrote:I've had a rather perplexing experience over the last two days or so on the comments section for the 0083 first opening over on Youtube...

....maybe I was operating under a false sense of security, so to speak, but my experiences on the forum here has never led me to believe that this sort of hairsplitting condescending elitism existed in the Gundam fandom. Star Wars, oh hell yeah, but not Gundam. It shook me up a bit.
Unfortunately, elitism exists in pretty much every fandom I've ever seen. Being a Gundam SEED fan myself (though I do like the UC shows too), I've run into it more than a few times. That said, it's certainly not exclusive to Universal Century fans. There are Gundam Wing elitists as well, and I'd guess there's a group of snobs for every series (I have yet to run into any G Gundam elitists yet, though).
I dunno, I'm just not quite sure why a person would act like that.
Because he's a jerk. :wink:
Also, you see I linked the dude to this forum, again I apologize, but I've got a slight hope in my head of Mark giving him a beatdown or something. :mrgreen:
Well, I have to admit that after reading that guy's comments, I wouldn't mind seeing that myself.

Edit: I forgot to add something - I've said that there is elitism among Gundam fans, but I really don't mean to give the impression that I think all UC/Wing fans are elitists. A lot of people I know are Universal Century fans who don't look down on people for liking other Gundam shows, and assuming that somebody is an elitist just because they're a UC fan is just as bad as being an elitist in the first place.

Apologies for taking up more space, but I felt I should say that.
"Attention passengers. We may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
-Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
HellCat

Effective G Gundam 'elitists' exist. I know a few people who say G is the only series they can stand and that they find all the others far too boring and serious.

I tend to be in the middle on that. I'll admit G has a healthy dose of whimsy and wacky, but wouldn't say it's a completely silly series with no message like most do.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Enchanter468

HellCat wrote:I'll admit G has a healthy dose of whimsy and wacky, but wouldn't say it's a completely silly series with no message like most do.
That's what I've heard as well (I have a few friends who've seen G, but I haven't seen it myself). The show is wacky and kind of crazy, but nonetheless can be quite fun to watch.
"Attention passengers. We may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
-Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
Genocide

HellCat wrote:I tend to be in the middle on that. I'll admit G has a healthy dose of whimsy and wacky, but wouldn't say it's a completely silly series with no message like most do.
As a fan of the series, I'd agree. In fact, I think G Gundam gives a much stronger message than most Gundam shows, with the characters behaving more 'human' despite their abilities. One of my favorite moments in the series was when the Mandala Gundam pilot, Kyral, said something along the lines of "Our mother planet is in danger! Who cares about nationality and race?!" during the final battle.
Marsbarbb

Hot blood and burning finger melts the elitism away!

But seriously thought, seeing how UC began 30 years ago most of the then audiences are close to their mid life. Some of them tend to use age/experiences as a high ground to shove their rose coloured nostalgic opinion into whom they considered the next generation gundam fan (to put it nicely)

On the other hand those next generation, often young fan (from seed series mainly) , who detest this behavior stir shit up aim to fight back, with ridiculous troll, flame and all that internet superhero jazz method...

Operation British ensured.

Then the thread get colony droped by Mod. D:

You can't argue that it's always the young, and inexperienced fans' fault, as UC might have unintentionally lighted their elitism match and ignited the fuse of the "hundred pages flame war bomb"

My opinion is that regardless the title, series, mecha and characters they are all part of a larger world(word) known as gundam. Being a fan should acknowledge both the good and bad aspect of the work and still support it indifferently.
wielder

Marsbarbb wrote: My opinion is that regardless the title, series, mecha and characters they are all part of a larger world(word) known as gundam. Being a fan should acknowledge both the good and bad aspect of the work and still support it indifferently.
I'd drink to that. If only everything were so easy...lots of ultimately pointless discussions wouldn't take place.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
AmuroNT1

That's the right attitude to have, but unfortunately there will always be people who feel the need to show off their e-peens by acting like the superiority of what they enjoy and the inferiority of what you enjoy is a scientific fact. The best thing to do is to ignore these individuals, because obviously they're more concerned with feeling superior than being good company, so you're not missing anything by shunning them.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
GeorgeKizhavana

I suppose I would rank it like this (also no I haven't watched any UC Gundam other than Unicorn and Origin)

Gundam Unicorn
Gundam Build Fighters/ Try
Gundam 00
Gundam The Origin
Gunpla Builders
Gundam Evolve
Gundam Seed
Gundam AGE
Zeonista

Oh dear, was someone trying to resurrect old quarrels again, along with this thread? I hope not, elitist positioning or not. (I am a Zeonista after all, a member of the template agency for aggressor groups in mecha anime that aren't metallic bugs or fanboy-ish giants. Here, have a pamphlet, it has our basic views plus our website and net-chat addresses.) UC has had a second wind (third wind?) with Unicorn, Origin, and Thunderbolt, all of which have proved that the old story line still has a little room for new story and new tweaks on the MS. I do have some hope for Twilight Axis to help keep UC anime interesting & engaging for Gundam fans who came in after the UC-only years. If that leads viewers back to watch and appreciate-perhaps even like-the UC series of the past century, it will be enough.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
sdwoodchuck

It's funny; fifteen or twenty years ago I acknowledged being a UC Elitist (or at least, my fandom was limited to the UC Timeline--I don't know that I'd have gone so far as to call myself an Elitist), and now the stuff they're doing with UC is just about my least favorite piece of the franchise the last several years. If we're not counting manga, I don't think I've enjoyed anything of the UC timeline since... 08th MS Team? Meanwhile Turn A and Build Fighters have quietly sneaked high up into the ranks of my favorites, each finding their way into my top five, which is something I'd never have expected.
Chris
Administrator

GeorgeKizhavana wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:55 am I suppose I would rank it like this (also no I haven't watched any UC Gundam other than Unicorn and Origin)

Gundam Unicorn
Gundam Build Fighters/ Try
Gundam 00
Gundam The Origin
Gunpla Builders
Gundam Evolve
Gundam Seed
Gundam AGE
Don't resurrect 8 year old threads, especially if you have nothing to add to them.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his