The Official Macross Frontier Mecha Thread: The Final

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
r34racer01

The Official Macross Frontier Mecha Thread: The Final

I just thought it might be good to finally start a thread about this. So far I'm hearing mainly more yea's than neh's, the neh's mainly because it looks like a SV-51. But anyway lets talk about the transforming, look at this gif, does it break apart?

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... mation.gif

THX to Badboy00z over at MacrossWorld Forums 4 this.

EDIT: No using the [img] tags please.

~ShadowCell

Edit: FYI Topic name changed slightly.
Last edited by r34racer01 on Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't steal, the government hates competition.
Wingnut

Lose those [img] tags. Use the [url] BBCode tags to link to an image.

And yes, it does look like it comes apart briefly before going full battroid.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Nightwing03

It actually doesnt look like it broke into 2 seperate pieces, i think there are 2 err..."joints" that connect it while it's transforming. So it's not really breaking just...moving.
♣♦♠♥
Ascension

Wow... I hope that thing's space-use only... I can't picture it doing that convincingly under gravity...
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
quasadra

i never tought it is this complicated, i feel sorry for the maintenance guy already :wink: .
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
latenlazy

Ascension wrote:Wow... I hope that thing's space-use only... I can't picture it doing that convincingly under gravity...
EM>Gravity?
Aegis

Ascension wrote:Wow... I hope that thing's space-use only... I can't picture it doing that convincingly under gravity...
This also happens to be super advanced alien technology here where even the seemingly fragile looking frames are actually incredibly sturdy. The VF-19 also 'breaks' off when it transforms, and we've seen that machine do this under gravity.
Skippy438

Fighter mode- Sweet
Gerwalk mode - Sweet
Battroid mode - Meh

I hate that thing's head. I just hope there are some older fighters on display somewhere in the show to make me feel better, or that the one on display is a special unite like Diamond Force's VF-19s or any of the Sound Force's VFs.
Recon 5

It looks like the Layzner/ Layzner Mk 2, and those designs were fine with me.
Armetius

Recon 5 wrote:It looks like the Layzner/ Layzner Mk 2, and those designs were fine with me.
Although something tells me the VF's on board computer isn't going to tell the pilot to kill people.
Ali-Sama

The love child of a vf0 and vf19! lol
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Charles reed March 21, 2230
MrMarch

cut and paste...

The VF-25 transformation does not fly apart or use gravity fields to transform...at least as far as we know. The little "lightning" effect is just that and is only an embellishing effect meant to look cool. As far as I can tell, the transformation is mechanical like all the other Valkyries but the VF-25 uses a different system. When you watch the animation closely, you can see the two sections of the variable fighter rotate around what I have called the "fuselage forks." See this picture:

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/Macross%2 ... lights.jpg

Note the BLUE colored areas, which I'm referring to as fuselage forks. These are the two struts that keep the VF-25 together during transformation. I hope that helps a little.
V2

somehow the lightning effect reminds me of vandread and aquarion's combining effects.

what im partially disappointed in the VF-25 design is that rather than progress from the fighter mode design concepts (canards, front swept wings, etc.) inspired from the VF-11, YF-19, YF-21, ghost unmanned unit and so forth it seemed to go back to the original VF-0/VF-1 base design.

still i love the flanker though. will be looking forward to yamato's toy release of this one.
Sulendil Zeta

MrMarch wrote:cut and paste...

The VF-25 transformation does not fly apart or use gravity fields to transform...at least as far as we know. The little "lightning" effect is just that and is only an embellishing effect meant to look cool. As far as I can tell, the transformation is mechanical like all the other Valkyries but the VF-25 uses a different system. When you watch the animation closely, you can see the two sections of the variable fighter rotate around what I have called the "fuselage forks." See this picture:

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/Macross%2 ... lights.jpg

Note the BLUE colored areas, which I'm referring to as fuselage forks. These are the two struts that keep the VF-25 together during transformation. I hope that helps a little.
Yup, MrMarch is right about this. Watch the gif closely, and you will see the fuselage forks.

BTW, MrMarch, which VF's transformation frame do you think VF-25 had borrowed/inspired from? From what I see, VF-25 seems to have similiar transformation with YF-19.
Nightwing03

Ali-Sama wrote:The love child of a vf0 and vf19! lol
Does this really have anything to do with the topic?
Sulendil Zeta wrote:Yup, MrMarch is right about this. Watch the gif closely, and you will see the fuselage forks.
That what i basically said in my earlier post, just with different words... :?
♣♦♠♥
MrMarch

Just something to note for those that have concerns about the VF-25 transformation under gravity. As Aegis has mentioned the frames of the Valkyries are using advanced materials which are both strong and more importantly light. The Valkyries also feature the capability to channel engine power to strengthen the hull (Energy Converting Armor, a standard feature on all Valkyries). It's also important that people be aware the Valkyries of Macross are not mammoth 60-80 ton Gundams. Most modern Valkyries are roughly 8 tons in weight, including basically everything from the VF-5000 Star Mirage onward right up to the VF-19 Excalibur in Macross 7. With the technology at hand in the Macross universe, it doesn't require a massive mechanical device to move 4 tons so a variable fighter can lift the top half of the craft over itself.

Sulendil Zeta
The VF-25 does share a few similarities to the YF-19, but the transformation system is quite different. The one striking similarity is the way the cockpit rotates backward and settles horizontally with the canopy facing rearward. The lower torso seems completely new and seems to offer the VF-25 more mobility in the hips than most other Valkyries. I also really like that the vertical stabilizers stay vertical in GERWALK configuration. This is something that hasn't been explored since Hikaru's VF-1A performed that mode in the film DYRL. But rather than just a manual option chosen by the pilot the VF-25 configuration seems to have vertical stabilizers in GERWALK mode standard.

Nightwing03
Very true and you made a good observation. I just thought a bit more detail and especially a color-coded picture would help explain.
Dark Duel

VF-25 is AWESOME.
Frankly, I love its design, both in battroid and fighter modes. Just that and the quality of the animation from the trailers makes me want to watch this.

(OFF-Topic, sort of: The use of the two "fuselage forks" to transform is similar to the way the old, small Beast Machines JetStorm toy(also the Transformers Universe SkyWarp) transformed from Jet to Robot Mode.)
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Jak Stoller

Forks.. LOL!

Those are LExs, or; Leading Edge Extensions. The 18s have em, among other aircraft (coincidentaly, the 14 didn't).

On that note, I sure as heckfii wouldn't want to be on the maintanence department for that machine, way to darn many moving parts.

I do like its general dimensions, very appealing ratios there.

--Jak
Koshernova

MrMarch wrote:Just something to note for those that have concerns about the VF-25 transformation under gravity. As Aegis has mentioned the frames of the Valkyries are using advanced materials which are both strong and more importantly light. The Valkyries also feature the capability to channel engine power to strengthen the hull (Energy Converting Armor, a standard feature on all Valkyries). It's also important that people be aware the Valkyries of Macross are not mammoth 60-80 ton Gundams. Most modern Valkyries are roughly 8 tons in weight, including basically everything from the VF-5000 Star Mirage onward right up to the VF-19 Excalibur in Macross 7. With the technology at hand in the Macross universe, it doesn't require a massive mechanical device to move 4 tons so a variable fighter can lift the top half of the craft over itself.
I second this sentiment. Personally I have a harder time believing something like the Gaplant could operate in an atmosphere, considering it's not that aerodynamic. At least in the Macross universe there is the fail-safe of "it's alien overtechnology"...
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
MrMarch

Jak Stoller
Given the "forks" have a significantly broader function than "leading edges" of an aircraft, using LEx is more a misnomer than relevant, especially within the context of discussing transformation. There's also no need to engage in Trek-like pedantry with obscure technobabble only fighter buffs will recognize. Everyone understands the word "forks."

LOL-that :roll:

Kosh
You're absolutely right. The fiction of Macross does help a great deal with the suspension of disbelief. Using new heretofore unknown light-weight materials of superior structural strength solves numerous problems as does fusion power. You can make some pretty damn good fighter jets with that :)

However, the Macross creative staff didn't have much choice when you think about it. They wanted to create a real robot show but they also wanted to feature fighter aircraft. As such, creators like Kawamori and Miyatake were more or less bound by the realities of modern jets. Most real world jet fighter aircraft sit around the 8-20 ton range. Creating sci-fi fighter jets with a nod toward "realism" would demand these fictional vehicles weigh much the same as non-fictional fighter jets.