Why no Patlabor RPG?

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Crosswire40

Why no Patlabor RPG?

I'm new onto the scene of tabletop gaming but I can say that I LOVE it, more than the play-by-post RPs I'm usually apart of. I've only gotten into a couple of games but I'm always looking for more groups I can join when my schedule lightens up. Looking into some game systems I can say that Mekton and GURPS are interesting.

However I’m surprised on how little I’ve run into in terms of Mecha tabletop groups (save for some Robotech games which are always fun). While I love Gundam and hope to find a group doing one, there's something I love even more. Patlabor.

Does no one remember it but me? It was awesome! Why in the world hasn’t anyone set up a RPG of it or tried to adapt it using GURPS or Mekton or something? I’d love to join a Patlabor styled RP.

What do you guys think? Why isn't Patlabor more recognized? Why aren't there more mecha themed tabletop groups?
YokozunaBulldozer

Re: Why no Patlabor RPG?

I think Patlabor would work better as a mix of Euro Truck Simulator and Hawken; a simulation-heavy fps.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Crosswire40

I meant in terms of a tabletop game roleplaying game. There's already been a couple video games of Patlabor which while pretty cool, aren't what I'm talking about.
YokozunaBulldozer

My apologies. In terms of analog gaming I think it could work well as a miniature strategy game.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Crosswire40

I agree. It would be pretty fun as a miniatures games. However I'm a bigger fan of character focused role-playing games. Love the scenarios, character interactions and the awesome moments that come from unintentional sparks of genius *or just flat out bravo/stupidity*.
Bryant Molirse

You might want to look into the Bubblegum Crisis RPG. You'll have to modify the rules a little I am guessing, but using namely the K11, and K12 battle suits used by the AD Police should be close for base numbers of Patlabors mechs.
WARNING!!! I EDIT My posts in the image threads if there is NO NEW REPLIES!!
Crosswire40

Really? Hmmm, Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it when I get the chance.
The Fowl Sorcerous

see now i'm going to spend a month just trying to figure out how to stat out giant robots in GUMSHOE...
[[lorem ipsum]]
Zeonista

Wait a couple of months and you can get MEKTON Zero, which so far looks great. The classic old mecha RPG got a Kickstarter campaign this year, and it paid off handsomely! Use its rules, and you can have a Patlabor campaign running, no problem!
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Crosswire40

Zeonista wrote:Wait a couple of months and you can get MEKTON Zero, which so far looks great. The classic old mecha RPG got a Kickstarter campaign this year, and it paid off handsomely! Use its rules, and you can have a Patlabor campaign running, no problem!
Really? How much does it cost? I have Mekton Zeta but it's a tad bit complex to be honest. I liked the detail in making mecha but I felt it was rather hard to get into. I'd love to check out Mekton Zero and see what's changed.
Zeonista

Crosswire40 wrote:
Zeonista wrote:Wait a couple of months and you can get MEKTON Zero, which so far looks great. The classic old mecha RPG got a Kickstarter campaign this year, and it paid off handsomely! Use its rules, and you can have a Patlabor campaign running, no problem!
Really? How much does it cost? I have Mekton Zeta but it's a tad bit complex to be honest. I liked the detail in making mecha but I felt it was rather hard to get into. I'd love to check out Mekton Zero and see what's changed.
I need to go look at the Kickstarter & R Talsorian sites again to refresh my memory on prices. The game has been overhauled to make mecha construction more user-friendly and story/power driven. Hopefully the amount of calculator usage will go down! :D

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Zeonic Glory

Crosswire40 wrote:
I backed it over the summer, and according to the reward tiers, the .pdf copy was in the $25 tier and the physical book was in the $50 tier.

A buddy of mine started a Mekton Zeta campaign, but we've only gotten one session in so far. It was confusing and hard to get into, but fun (when we weren't getting screwed over by enemy artillery). If only I knew enough people who've seen Patlabor to get campaign for it running.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Zeonista

As with most anime-based mecha games, the question is not if qualifying players are available, but being able to bring them together. :) I am in a holding pattern myself on MEKTON Zero until the PDF arrives. However, I continue to uphold it as the primary choice for a Patlabor-based RPG.

Crosswire40

Zeonista wrote:As with most anime-based mecha games, the question is not if qualifying players are available, but being able to bring them together. :) I am in a holding pattern myself on MEKTON Zero until the PDF arrives. However, I continue to uphold it as the primary choice for a Patlabor-based RPG.
Really? It's that good huh? Can I still get a copy or a PDF of it?
Zeonic Glory

I'm pretty sure they'll be selling physical and .pdf copies once it's released, which, according to this most recent update, is looking to be January.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Zeonista

Yeah, one month backup due to art issues, of all things. Well, it should be ready by then. Everybody please support Mekton Zero, an dpost many nice comments about the art here so the main artist can feel good about his contribution. ;)