The Official Gundam SEED FREEDOM Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Chris
Administrator

Re: New Gundam Seed project; sequel movie, manga and more

Mafty wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:57 am So how far in the Timeline do you think the movie will be set? I was reading an old thread about the CE Timeline; its a long thread, but the main point is that its vague as to the period the events occur (Ie how long is SEED Destiny set over?).

I'd guess about CE 74-75; it seems like a couple of years later would be enough time to introduce new characters and settings, assuming of course they don't just adapt one of the existing manga's.
SEED actually had a detailed timeline, but unfortunately DESTINY never published one. Things are more vague in that show, but working from memory, I think that at some point after ZAFT's invasion of Orb, the year changed to CE 74. As to when this movie could be set in relation to that, I wouldn't even venture to guess.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
PowerdGNFlag

The first half of Chapter 1 of Gundam SEED Eclipse has been posted to the Gundam.info Youtube channel as a motion comic, with the second half getting released in two weeks.

It is really interesting that they chose to deliver the story in this format (in multiple languages no less), instead of just dumping the translated chapters into a web reader on the official site. And assuming the timing of releases remains consistent, the EN release won't be more than a month behind the release of the JP chapters on Gundam ACE.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Chris
Administrator

I find the motion comic format annoying, as I know I could read that material much faster than the seven minutes it took for the video to play.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Dark Duel

A flip phone. How quaint.

Was all right as a start. Nothing too special. Will probably keep an eye out for the next part and check it out.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Deacon Blues

Dark Duel wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:29 am A flip phone. How quaint.

Was all right as a start. Nothing too special. Will probably keep an eye out for the next part and check it out.
Why is everyone surprised about the flip phone? It's keeping with the theme that was established in the show. Why would they suddenly introduce top of the line technology just because the real world has advanced?
Mafty

The first chapter seems promising so far, especially with the covert/International Rescue vibe; it's also kinda neat that you don't see the Gundam at first, but that'll probably change come chapter 2. The art style is interesting; kinda like if you combined the character designs from SEED with 00. The mechs actually look quite different from elsewhere in the CE , some other forums mentioned the Eclipse looks like the Xi Gundam from Hathaways Flash.

So is there any more info on the production? Beecraft designed the mechs: and Kogado Studio did the character design's, so is there anything known about SOW? They're credited as the writer; is it one person , or a group pseudonym?
Deacon Blues

Mafty wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:28 am The first chapter seems promising so far, especially with the covert/International Rescue vibe; it's also kinda neat that you don't see the Gundam at first, but that'll probably change come chapter 2. The art style is interesting; kinda like if you combined the character designs from SEED with 00. The mechs actually look quite different from elsewhere in the CE , some other forums mentioned the Eclipse looks like the Xi Gundam from Hathaways Flash.

So is there any more info on the production? Beecraft designed the mechs: and Kogado Studio did the character design's, so is there anything known about SOW? They're credited as the writer; is it one person , or a group pseudonym?
The remainder of Chapter 1, which doesn't come out until August 9th, is pretty lackluster and predictable, honestly.

SOW is a light novel author that's known for The Combat Baker and Automaton Waitress.
Underrated GM Custom

Mafty wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:28 am The mechs actually look quite different from elsewhere in the CE , some other forums mentioned the Eclipse looks like the Xi Gundam from Hathaways Flash.
That was my first thought as well, I was surprised they're going to make the Eclipse design / silhouette so similar to the Xi Gundam. I feel like that may confuse overseas audiences quite a bit.
MythSearcher

Deacon Blues wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:31 am
Why is everyone surprised about the flip phone? It's keeping with the theme that was established in the show. Why would they suddenly introduce top of the line technology just because the real world has advanced?
Most people aren't surpirsed, but find it funny. Also consider this, back in the days before smartphones, we get flip, slider, swivel and the traditional bar(and various mixed swivel/flip, double flip, etc. exotic designs) so the two prominent examples both being flip is quite interesting as well.

Well, the real world also have new flip phones(the latest release was in 2020S4) and surely we still get people who like to use them and I am getting tired of holding the big smartphone so I can understand why they stick around.

Side note, if you consider UC titles, 0079 has big thick portable computers but 0083 switched to slim notebooks, so it does seem like some creators don't really care about what was in show but adhere to real life tech advancement.(though that is almost 4 years and has been explained as the Minovsky particle influence)
Mafty

So we're now up to chapter 3. (SPOILERS)Most of the later updates are either more comedic, or are focused on character/story developments. The Eclipse Gundam really hasn't appeared that much so far. That being said the story looks promising, and it will be interesting to see how they tie into the greater CE. It'd be neat to see cameos from the CE side story characters in the SEED movie(like in Macross).

Also is their any update on the movie? Has it started production yet?
Mafty

(SPOILERS) Okay so now that we're at the end of the fourth episode (chapter?), it seems like the story's gotten moving again. Plus we actually get to see the Aile Calamity in action, and it does pretty well against the Eclipse, which leads to not only a cool (if brief fight) but also to the question of which is the stronger unit now?
John-Luck Pickerd

Mafty wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:36 am (SPOILERS) Okay so now that we're at the end of the fourth episode (chapter?), it seems like the story's gotten moving again. Plus we actually get to see the Aile Calamity in action, and it does pretty well against the Eclipse, which leads to not only a cool (if brief fight) but also to the question of which is the stronger unit now?
The fight, and really the last 2 chapters are too short. But on the subject of Aile Calamity, the MG manual did hype up the Eclipse a fair bit, so currently I dont think the Eclipse could be any worse than the Calamity
Mafty

So despite the long delays, the story is moving again. The last several chapters have been a fight with the Aile Calamity Gundam, and the Eclipse Gundam. The battles are really well drawn and still manage to convey the action portion of the battle, though the long time between chapters releasing can make it hard to remember what's happening (this also happens with Attack on Titan), That being said however, the mech designs are still cool looking (Particularly the Aile Calamity) and seeing how CE actually adds some of the newer mech variations to the main anime series (like how the Forbidden Vortex makes a cameo appearance in Seed Destiny), it will be interesting to see if the Eclipse Gundam makes it into the SEED Movie.

Also what is the flight system Ken is using called? It looks like a Skygrasper with mech attachments (as seen in the anime) however the armor makes it resemble a cross between the G Defensor from Zeta and the G-Falcon from Gundam X (granted the G-Falcon is probably an expy of the G-Defensor).
John-Luck Pickerd

Mafty wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:45 pm So despite the long delays, the story is moving again. The last several chapters have been a fight with the Aile Calamity Gundam, and the Eclipse Gundam. The battles are really well drawn and still manage to convey the action portion of the battle, though the long time between chapters releasing can make it hard to remember what's happening (this also happens with Attack on Titan), That being said however, the mech designs are still cool looking (Particularly the Aile Calamity) and seeing how CE actually adds some of the newer mech variations to the main anime series (like how the Forbidden Vortex makes a cameo appearance in Seed Destiny), it will be interesting to see if the Eclipse Gundam makes it into the SEED Movie.

Also what is the flight system Ken is using called? It looks like a Skygrasper with mech attachments (as seen in the anime) however the armor makes it resemble a cross between the G Defensor from Zeta and the G-Falcon from Gundam X (granted the G-Falcon is probably an expy of the G-Defensor).
Possibly a Skygrasper 2 with a new backpack. Its gundam so they will try to make as many new designs as they can.
Mafty

Looks like it. Tbh I always wished the Skygrasper had more screen time; it's such a cool design, especially because unlike Macross, Gundam doesn't have that many interesting plane designs( I mean independent Planes, not Mobile Armors or Core Fighters). It seems as though the Skygrasper was mass produced at some point, so it makes sense there would be more around to customize , or even a new version.
Mafty

So with all the convention news lately. Has there been any more announced about the SEED movie?
Mafty

So the last few chapters have been and ongoing battle between Hori and the Aile Calamity. (SPOILER) the latest chapter ends with Hori's Eclipse Gundam heavily damaged , and him badly injured. It's interesting to see how a Natural handles in a Gundam in the CE, though admittedly Hori has actually done very well up to this point.

We also get some backstory that explains that the Phase Shift system never made to to full mass produced units, it was a combination of cost and the understandable reason that losing all of a units power in battle isn't exactly a great thing to have in mass produced units.

So far the story remains pretty strong, and it will be neat to see how long the story runs(maybe it will even follow into the next war).
John-Luck Pickerd

New episode is out and immediately there are comments correcting the translation errors in english version... whats with the english translators of Eclipse? Did Bandai just outsource the job?
Mafty

Totally, One Year War seriously? It's odd though because there doesn't seem to have been that many translation errors prior to this. Who knows maybe they started outsourcing more recently.