E.F.F. or E.F.G.F.?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Bileygr

E.F.F. or E.F.G.F.?

Not a very important by any stretch question but I was just curious.

I was looking at the MG GM Sniper the other day and noticed it had an "EFGF" marking which I haven't see anywhere else. Apparently the EFGF marking is supposed to signify it's part of the Earth Federation Ground Forces. Even with the presence of MG models of the Gundam Ground Type, GM Ground Type, and the EZ8 (which have EFSF markings for some reason), I can't find any other models with EFGF markings.

Are all federation suits on earth under EFGF? If so, why is it that markings from earth located suits such as the Byarlant Custom and the Jegan (Cheyenne) only have the EFF marking? Is there an in-universe reason for the EFGF marking or is it just a one time thing Bandai felt like doing?

Slightly related, do markings from model kits have an effect on lore and established canon?
Seto Kaiba

Re: E.F.F. or E.F.G.F.?

Bileygr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:46 pm I was looking at the MG GM Sniper the other day and noticed it had an "EFGF" marking which I haven't see anywhere else. Apparently the EFGF marking is supposed to signify it's part of the Earth Federation Ground Forces. Even with the presence of MG models of the Gundam Ground Type, GM Ground Type, and the EZ8 (which have EFSF markings for some reason), I can't find any other models with EFGF markings.
Based on what I've dug up, it looks like the model kit lines picked up "EFGF" as a replacement for the prior "EFARMY" marking c.2006... starting, allegedly, with the MG GM Sniper.

Not sure where it first appeared in-setting, but it's official enough that it shows up in the tech manuals and such like Master Archive Mobile Suit.

Bileygr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:46 pm Are all federation suits on earth under EFGF? If so, why is it that markings from earth located suits such as the Byarlant Custom and the Jegan (Cheyenne) only have the EFF marking? Is there an in-universe reason for the EFGF marking or is it just a one time thing Bandai felt like doing?
Mobile Suits operated by the Earth Federation Army are badged EFGF.

I've seen mentions in passing of "EFAF" being used by the Earth Federation Air Force" and "EFNF" being used for the Earth Federation Navy, but AFAIK "EFGF" and "EFSF" are the only two that have been used in animation.

Since the Earth Federation's planetside forces operate as a joint force most of the time, they normally just have "EFF" to denote their joint force status.

Bileygr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:46 pm Slightly related, do markings from model kits have an effect on lore and established canon?
Not that I am aware?
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

Re: E.F.F. or E.F.G.F.?

Bileygr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:46 pm Not a very important by any stretch question but I was just curious.

I was looking at the MG GM Sniper the other day and noticed it had an "EFGF" marking which I haven't see anywhere else. Apparently the EFGF marking is supposed to signify it's part of the Earth Federation Ground Forces. Even with the presence of MG models of the Gundam Ground Type, GM Ground Type, and the EZ8 (which have EFSF markings for some reason), I can't find any other models with EFGF markings.

Are all federation suits on earth under EFGF? If so, why is it that markings from earth located suits such as the Byarlant Custom and the Jegan (Cheyenne) only have the EFF marking? Is there an in-universe reason for the EFGF marking or is it just a one time thing Bandai felt like doing?

Slightly related, do markings from model kits have an effect on lore and established canon?
EFF: Earth Federation Forces, the name for the whole military force of the EF. The Japanese term 地球連邦軍 is actually used pretty extensively.(even when the English term is EFSF, like in this decal from Bandai: http://www.takahobby.com.hk/product_det ... em_id=6610 )
EFGF: Earth Federation Ground Forces, was called EF Army before 2006's MG GM Sniper, but started to be used extensively since MS Igloo 2 and the UC Hardgraph model series. I believe they are already making Igloo 2 in 2006 and thus started to use the term.
EFAF: Earth Federation Air Forces
EFSF: Earth Federation Space Forces, this is the most common one you see, but aren't used until 1998.
EFN: Earth Federation Navy, the oly odd ball here that doesn't carry "Forces" after it.

There weren't a unified name for the EF or EFF before 1998's PG RX-78, you get United Nation(notice without the s), Union, Federation, Federal State, etc.

The 1989 0080 OVA used UNT Spacy likely after Macross's UN Spacy.(notice the overlap of some animation crew) they likely changed it to EFSF to prevent copyright issues in 1998 when they decided to get into the global market.
0080 period MSV settings used:
U.N.T.: United Nation Troops, which was retconned as Under Normal Tactical (Master Archive used Unified Nuclear Team instead)
U.N.T. Spacy, retconned as SPecial Assortment Construction Yard
U.N.T. Army
U.N.T. Navy
U.N.T. Air Force

Only UNT and UNT Spacy was seen in the OVA, so I guess they do not bother retconing the other 3.
They also have UNT Grand, for when the army, navy and presumably also the spacy and air forces are all involved.
Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:22 pm I've seen mentions in passing of "EFAF" being used by the Earth Federation Air Force" and "EFNF" being used for the Earth Federation Navy, but AFAIK "EFGF" and "EFSF" are the only two that have been used in animation.
I don't think we get any EFAF and EFN/NF labelled anywhere. (Also, while I like the idea of having all of them end with F, I don't think they used NF, I have always just called them EFN)
The only place I can remember they focus on Air force was the pretty much black history MS Generation's GT FOUR, one of the G4 project. Gundam Officials didn't even include it as the air force branch of the G4 project, not even a slight mention.

Also, there is this fun thing in Gundam Officials. The book separated the EFF into Earth Forces and Space Forces and didn't really go into details when taking about the Earth Forces. So if we stick to the EFF, EFSF notation, there is also a EFEF (Earth Federation Earth Forces) super branch as a combination of EFAF, EFGF and EFN(F). (Notice the book was before they have the term of EFGF)