The Official Gundam Build Divers Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: The Official Gundam Build Divers Anime Thread Mk I

I wouldn't be surprised if she was some kind of AI.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Kuruni

...it would be fun if Bannam take a chance to break the fourth wall and make a virtual Youtuber based on her.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Zeonista

Episode 1 started things off in a great way. GBD goes full immersion and does it 100% safer than a certain other online game anime. And being a super-MMORPG means getting to tournaments will be a whole lot easier. Yeah, the Eternally Thirty-Five Ranba Ral will not have to bring the jeep any more. (Can't wait for him to show up in an Origin skin though. :P) It was a good intro, with the three main kids and Fireball putting on a good intro episode and the tutorial fight shenanigans.

Outdoor Fun: The soccer game is a good showing that the kids can think tactically on their feet, and know the rudiments of teamwork.
Teamwork?: Wow a fun & games anime about playing with gunpla displays better teamwork in the beginning than straight Gundam anime teams.
Momoka: Is the best girl already. I am not biased or a Pedobearguy.
So Many Choices: I totally understand Yuuki in the store, I really do.
Virtual Cosplay: Really great or really cringe, as we might expect. Patrick and Monique FTW. 8)
FIreball Tutor: He is actually a good dude, and helps them up a lot.
Leo Mock: Best. Leo. Ever.
Sara: She is a mysterious Gundam girl.... No she's not, you know where she comes from, we all do, but let's take it all in stride for Our Hero's sake. (OK, we need a bag of meat buns to make sure....)
He's a Gundam Bad Guy!: Overweight? Check. Bad hair? Check. Dishonest weasel who is NOT Ermine Rommel? Check. Pilots an AGE MS that is not a Gundam? Check.
Throwing a Beam Knife: Yeah, baby. 8)
Five Man Team: It is going to happen. Swordsman, support gunner, mid-range multi-role, shinobi, and Momo Kapool!
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Wingnut

The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Amion

It was a good episode. I like how the three-horn Oni wasn't an arrogant jerk. In fact he praises our intrepid hero for "definitely not a beginner". Guess he has fighting skilz.

Mysterious girl is linked to the Gunpla. She's either an AI or something else is going on. What is weird is that we see sparkles in episode one. Did they actually leave the tv? Seemed like they did, but I don't remember.

Looks like some good team battles are coming up. Please don't let anyone involved with TRY anywhere NEAR it. So far the series has already given good instances of teamwork. Let's hope that keeps going when the main cast get together their Force team.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Zeonista

It's the 10th anniversary of Double-O, so that is why there is so much love for their designs in GBD. Now, if we could get the 30th anniversary recognition for Gundam Sentinel as well, that would be great!

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Arbiter GUNDAM

Amion wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:41 pm It was a good episode. I like how the three-horn Oni wasn't an arrogant jerk. In fact he praises our intrepid hero for "definitely not a beginner". Guess he has fighting skilz.

Mysterious girl is linked to the Gunpla. She's either an AI or something else is going on. What is weird is that we see sparkles in episode one. Did they actually leave the tv? Seemed like they did, but I don't remember.

Looks like some good team battles are coming up. Please don't let anyone involved with TRY anywhere NEAR it. So far the series has already given good instances of teamwork. Let's hope that keeps going when the main cast get together their Force team.
Hate to burst your bubble but the same director for TRY is doing this. :wink:

--Freyja Wion
Amion

Then he has improved.

Or maybe I've gotten easier to please...
Zeonista

Episode 2 really turned out well, expanding on the game universe rather nicely. Ruki & Yukki get to see and have real combat, even though they were not on a combat quest. Momoka gets into the game, foreshadowing her joining the
future "force". Sarah is cutely mysterious, which is pretty much going to be her thing. Once again, the anime fantasy MMORPG puts all existing ones to shame, which is sort of the point. :D
PVP MMORPG, not Battler: It's the main difference between GBD and its predecessors.
Spy on the bois: Momoka invokes an anime trope and gets roped into the goings-on.
Online friends: Sarah is happy enough to because of this to make me instantly suspicious of her true identity. Not that I have any real surprise about it, just noted it.
Kirei no onee-san: Magee is now their senpai forever!! :D Ph3ar t3h p0w3r 0f the3 cut3....
Exploration Quest: Clever way to get n00bs familiar with the map and let Forces get some recon in. I like it.
Patrick again: Is he going to be Waldo?
GN-Ogre: Ominous MS gets more ominous, and remains badass.
Power-up Haxx: Even in the wonderful world of Build Fighters/Divers there are cheaters who cheat. *sigh* Fortunately the model build rules put an ultimate limit on the haxxors.
00 Diver pwnage: Admit it Setsuna haters, you liked that fight resolution. :P Good early lesson for Ruki though that he needs to do more work. Which of course means next episode Momoka joins them for a build session.
Cosplay Cutie: Momoka in a most cutely winning style! Fanboys are in a swoon already...

Deathzealot

Man. I am already having ideas for a fanfiction story for this series which really never happened in the original Build Fighters universe. Damn! A great episode! Love the call-backs to several different Gundam anime locations. Man! If this was real and I was playing I would have been fanboy squeeing over those locations not to mention the whole mobile suits are real-sized thing.

I also wonder. Are we going to get location-specific random events? For example, I can see an event where players have to fight against the Romafellar Foundation invasions of the Sanc Kingdom. Or something like that. That would be really cool!

Have a couple theories for the story. First of all. I believe that there is going to be a seperate Spaceport location/area which allows the players to transfer to space. Since they have the whole "must do the launch sequence" bit in the first episode I bet it would transfer players via launching in an HLV or other notable craft into space. That would be pretty sweet in my opinion.

Secondly, one of my major complaints with the series so far is why do they still need to build and create a Gunpla to play the game. I have since decided that they mainly to get the really true-believers of Gundam to play, as well as more pride of a builder, to see your masterpiece in the flesh sort of speak, and finally to account for any mods or such done to the Gunpla which account for the scan they do. They could build their machines in the game itself but I honestly believe it is not fun enough to do that way. Though there may be options to do that ala the various Gundam Breaker games, and MS Saga. Heck! I wouldn't put it pass the game to have In-Game Starter Machines for those newbie players who really don't want to build a Gunpla or just plain lazy but these machines would never compare to the custom-built Gunpla-based machines of other players.

Anyways my two-cents on this series so far.
YokozunaBulldozer

Episode 2 was good. Further explains how the world works and I love the bit about
Spoiler
how a gunpla's quality defines its use of special abilities such as the Trans-am.
The battle scenes were great and I guess we can thank Obari for those since he is in charge of action scenes.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Kuruni

Third episode is out.

The battle scene seem to get better with each episode. And I did chuckle a little.
YokozunaBulldozer

Kuruni wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:26 am The battle scene seem to get better with each episode. And I did chuckle a little.
All hail Obari for that. Episode 3 was just plain awesome during the fight scenes.
I rewatched the last fight scene at least 4~5 times I think.
Amion

Yes, the battles are excellent. That is what I go see.
Zeonista

YokozunaBulldozer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:56 am
Kuruni wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:26 am The battle scene seem to get better with each episode. And I did chuckle a little.
All hail Obari for that. Episode 3 was just plain awesome during the fight scenes.
I rewatched the last fight scene at least 4~5 times I think.
Yes, the fight scenes are awesome! They seem organic, spontaneous, and they make good use of the gunpla divers' abilities.

Mass Divers: Haxx!!
Your paw....: Dude, really, stop that.
Patrick Again: I found Waldo! Did you? :)
Cosplay victim: Momoka
Cat Ears make everything better: Also Momoka!
Who was that masked clone?: I don't know, but he gave me this silver mod part. 8)
Zeta ED song: I want a re-shoot with Sara and Nekomimi Haro-chan now.
MMO Grudge Gundam: I like it!! :D
Boss Fight: Effin' yeah. 8)
Respect for AGE II: Everything the MS didn't get in its own show.

YokozunaBulldozer

That ninja SD gunpla is called RX-Zeromaru and the Iron-blooded looking gunpla is based mainly off Galbaldy Beta and is called Galbaldy Rebake.
Ryujin

Latest episode's quite interesting in that it further explores GBN's game mechanics, such as player ranking & the consequences of being defeated. It also confirms that it hurts if you, as the pilot, are hit. Or not, it's just what the brain expects, I dunno.

There's also something at the start which
Spoiler
brings Nanase back into contention as a certain high-ranking player.
And as expected, Patrick Colasour is present in the episode, eating a steamed bun.
Last edited by Ryujin on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuruni

Seeing Tigerwolf here, I think if GBN is real, I'll choose bear.

The training scene is pretty funny.

I have deja-vu... from Shadow of the Colossus.

Tequila Gundam look pretty cool, WAY cooler than the original. I'm not sure if they also take element from Rody Gundam or it's simply because of they share wild west motif. But dragging Kyrios's tail missile unit like a coffin sure look cool. Oh, and the pilot is reminiscence of Timp from Xabungle too.

On the bad side, there will be flashy special move, lets us pray that Riku won't use it every episode after he get one.
Amion

Oh, he's already planning to, Kuruni, you know that. Didn't you see him practicing his lines in the episode preview for next week. :D

I think this episode was great. But I have a question now: how in the world do all the players keep from getting physically weak or obese in real life? It can't be the healthiest of hobbies, all that time stuck in the simulator not moving, getting your brain slow-roasted by radiation, and then leaving to go sit in a chair with Gunpla models for goodness knows how long, and then school plus food. How do people above school-age with any kind of life actually work? How do they function?

No matter how hard I try, I cannot keep from my mind the image of all these players, like Tigerwolf, being unhealthy people with glasses squinting at their gunpla at home while sitting inches from the desk.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Amion wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:31 pm Oh, he's already planning to, Kuruni, you know that. Didn't you see him practicing his lines in the episode preview for next week. :D

I think this episode was great. But I have a question now: how in the world do all the players keep from getting physically weak or obese in real life? It can't be the healthiest of hobbies, all that time stuck in the simulator not moving, getting your brain slow-roasted by radiation, and then leaving to go sit in a chair with Gunpla models for goodness knows how long, and then school plus food. How do people above school-age with any kind of life actually work? How do they function?

No matter how hard I try, I cannot keep from my mind the image of all these players, like Tigerwolf, being unhealthy people with glasses squinting at their gunpla at home while sitting inches from the desk.
I was going to say that too. ;)

Well, I hate to be the Gloomy Gus of this group but this series really isn't clicking with me. I think Chris might have the right of it in his review for episode 1; all this tanoshii Gunpla! schtick is wearing a bit thin this third time out, especially when it's not particularly well written. Anyway, I'm calling it now. Serah and her brother(?) The Mysterious Hoodie are both AI created to help run the Gunpla Battle Nexus but he's gone rampant and might have attacked Serah, which is why her memory isn't good right now.
Since we seem to be doing the G Gundam thing of introducing all the good guy team members in individual episodes, which is a TERRIBLE idea in a 2 cour show by the way, and since next week's episode will introduce the Virtue pilot Fox Boy, I'm sure that episode 6 will be about Glorfindel and his IBO Gundam. I would also not even be surprised if they spent episode 7 setting up the Good Guy Team before getting into the plot proper.

--Freyja Wion