The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
zetatype

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk III

Damn, the show certainly wasted no time getting into the thick of things in what has gotta be the most action packed episode of the series so far.

The Barbatos Lupus Rex makes its debut and boy is it awesome. From the new and improved mace-chan to the the tail whip, the Rex is one mean beast and I can't wait to get the gunpla kit. Was quite surprised to see the hejka being piloted by Hush and not Azee. Glad that he's at least a decent pilot now even if he can't quite go up against AV pilots.

I was also surprised by the lack of Lok and the deal between Rustal and McMurdo, but then again Rustal was probably aware that McGillis was about launch his insurrection and didn't want any interference from Teiwaz.

Despite being a little disappointed that Azee didn't show up or that Akihiro didn't get the killing blow, Jasley got what he deserved. A bit anti-climatic some would say, but a climatic death would be more than what that PoS deserved.

With the end of the Turbines arc we now enter the revolution arc. However, with 8 episodes remaining I doubt this will be the final arc of the season.
Amion

zetatype wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:05 pmWith the end of the Turbines arc we now enter the revolution arc. However, with 8 episodes remaining I doubt this will be the final arc of the season.
I know. :twisted: This means they could still pull a Zeta whereby a new, angelic threat emerges. Maybe Iok's last act while living is to stumble upon an uber-tier Mobile Armor and activate it out of spite? Nevermind. That's a ghastly thought. :cry:

But I think the incoming episodes are going to take their time and give us a very well padded series of events. Most likely it will end with Tekkadan and Kudelia vs McGillis. I had high hopes he would stay in Quattro mode, but seeing him refrain from taking the podium personally proves otherwise. He is about to go full CCA, with none to stop him. I fully expect now his plan is as follows: Rustal the Snake, Monteroman, Swordgirl and their pet Idiok have been destroyed. But the world still needs Gjallarhorn-McGillis because evil, child-soldiering groups, aka Tekkadan, are active and lethal enough to tip the scales of revolution. So Earth must unite to cleanse itself and the Outer Spheres of these dangerous elements.

And so there we have it. Tekkadan are labled what amount to terrorists and must not be negotiated with or given an ounce of credence, anyone who does so will be ousted or black-balled (Makanai will be receiving some fresh roses from the munitions storehouse). And then the whole of Chocky's fleet descend upon our heroes for a final showdown, and it will end with McGillis revealing some Large Celestial Object to throw at Earth, or maybe Mars or Saisei.

I'm hoping I'm wrong with all the above, but it looks like we'll see the general direction this is going by next week. As I suspected, there's something that looks like experiments going on with poor young McGillis. Those former guinea pig types are the worst. No mercy at all, none. Just everlasting hate and a lust to throw asteroids at big blue planets.

As for Juletta, I got chills when that mechanic started talking about the AV system, or worse, Einification. She went from an unnamed cardboard cuttout into something very frightening. So the engineers of Gjallarhorn, or her specifically, are aware of the AV research. I think this is a key piece to the puzzle of the Vidar. We now have an individual within the Arianhrod Fleet who knows about such taboo, and can therefore facilitate the "special systems" on the Vidar Gundam. There's no doubt in my mind now that something from the Mecha Ein is in use again, giggling to itself about how it will finally avenge Crank-nii. :P
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
domino

Amion wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:51 pm As for Juletta, I got chills when that mechanic started talking about the AV system, or worse, Einification. She went from an unnamed cardboard cuttout into something very frightening. So the engineers of Gjallarhorn, or her specifically, are aware of the AV research. I think this is a key piece to the puzzle of the Vidar. We now have an individual within the Arianhrod Fleet who knows about such taboo, and can therefore facilitate the "special systems" on the Vidar Gundam. There's no doubt in my mind now that something from the Mecha Ein is in use again, giggling to itself about how it will finally avenge Crank-nii. :P
The show has been taking every opportunity to hint that this will happen with Juletta's constant cry that she wants to be more powerful and Vidar saying she reminds him of "someone". Likely Ein.

What it tells me is that the AV surgery (or similar) is not necessarily fatal for adults when done using Gajallarhorn technology. It is indeed possible that Vidar had some "AV work" done on him to save him from his injuries (and near-death)
SNT1

The show has been taking every opportunity to hint that this will happen with Juletta's constant cry that she wants to be more powerful and Vidar saying she reminds him of "someone". Likely Ein.
I took it as the opposite, given that she quickly dismissed the notion of body mods/implied AV surgery, and was yet still pondering Amida's words when she was getting lectured in more ways than one. I'd hate to see Amida's impact go to waste if all it eventually leads up to is back to "for Rustal-samaaa!" Ein 2.0.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Kuruni

Maybe we'll et better idea once we finally see how McGillis can use Bael.

About that, it look like Mackey the Bear will off his father-in-law to be in the next episode.
My girlfriend was a loli.
X_zoro

Now I think I'm a little worried about Hush's character,in the opening it shows the Hajka charging at something, while also showing the Barbatos blast and attack something ( both are in the sunset ) ugh I hope its not what I think it is because hush has no reason to.
Amion

You mean betray Tekkadan? Or attack Mika? He might do it if Mikatos decides to go feral on something he shouldn't, leading Hush to disagree. But I find this scenario unlikely. A genuine betrayal would require Hush to develop very, very quickly in a new direction, since as you say he has no reason to.

But I welcome Hush doing something other than sitting around with that One-punch Man face. His character's more interesting than most of the other Tekkadan guys, although Mika has begun to take on more dynamics.
ling-a-bao

Well, there have been 'hints' at a Hush/Mika betrayal all of S2, but I'm more interested in some conflict between Mika/Orga. I thought this was being foreshadowed, especially toward the end of S1. Something about Mika's unwavering willingness to follow Orga, even to his own physical impairment, would have made for a nice 'boy meets boss, boy falls in love with boss, boy loses boss, boy gets boss back' arc over the 2 seasons.
Amion

I think it should be rather clear Mika doesn't swing that way. ;) And if he did, Atra would intervene. :P But there is still time for Mika to come into direct conflict with Orga, as there's been some rather dark looks between the two.
X_zoro

ling-a-bao wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:27 am Well, there have been 'hints' at a Hush/Mika betrayal all of S2, but I'm more interested in some conflict between Mika/Orga. I thought this was being foreshadowed, especially toward the end of S1. Something about Mika's unwavering willingness to follow Orga, even to his own physical impairment, would have made for a nice 'boy meets boss, boy falls in love with boss, boy loses boss, boy gets boss back' arc over the 2 seasons.
What are those ? he made it very clear he doesn't care about the AV anymore plus his has no real reason to betray Tekkadan I am Hope is I'm over thinking that one scene in the OP and its actually just him fighting off a huge Number of MS on his own going out with a blaze.
( he seems to be the only none AV pilot who can keep up with Mika and the others)
yazi88

There was nothing to indicate any hints of Hush betrayal, the whole Orga going power crazy is kind of a routine troupe in these types of shows, but IBO has thrown off a good number of expectations at how certain characters go along with certain types of plots we are used to seeing in anime and mecha shows. For good reasons people think that Orga might've gone power hungry and lead himself to his own demise.... that might still happen but I find it happening quite unlikely since we are around the last arc of the show.

I really don't understand the overspeculation of Hush theories without any hint of evidence or plausible deniability based on what we've seen in the show... thankfully that has died down after the Abrau/SAU arc after Hush's 1st battle.
Kuruni

There used to be some conflict between Hush and Mika, but they've get over it long ago. So I see no hint why Hush would betray Tekkadan at all.

On the other topic, I've feeling that there'll be MikaAto's baby, but Atra is likely to be heartbroken. The reason she want baby is to hold Mika back, but from Mika's reaction with Naze's baby, Mika seem to think that baby will be his legacy, proof of his existence.
nacho-wan

I have never understand why so many people are interested in Hush. He is a character that was developed like for three episodes and then became part of the background. So far he hasn't done anything useful to move the story forward. He piloted Heijika because there wasn't any other talking extra available and Ride got his own custom mecha.

I'm concerned that Tekkadan can't survive that much on their own. Should anything happens to the Gundams, they have no technical know-how on how to repair them. They have no network to obtain ammo or supplies, and probably no income to pay it. They just became feral dogs at the mercy of a treacherous ally - McGillis, who will discard them when they are no longer useful.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
iguanaman8989

I just have a feeling that McGillis is setting them up to take the fall once all is said and done.
Though with the way that this show has inverted a number of substantial tropes, he might actually follow through with his promises to them.
yazi88

McGillis does owe them and what would Tekkadan do to harass McGillis when they are on Mars to do what they want and be guaranteed no more harassment from Gjarhorn or whatever is left of it. But McGillis might keep them on somewhat of a leash. He does have quite some respect from Mika that was in season 1 but increased this season quite a bit.

Plus, as sneaky as McGillis is, he has a sense of ethics and only targets Gjarhorn to take them down.
X_zoro

nacho-wan wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:21 am I have never understand why so many people are interested in Hush. He is a character that was developed like for three episodes and then became part of the background. So far he hasn't done anything useful to move the story forward. He piloted Heijika because there wasn't any other talking extra available and Ride got his own custom mecha.

I'm concerned that Tekkadan can't survive that much on their own. Should anything happens to the Gundams, they have no technical know-how on how to repair them. They have no network to obtain ammo or supplies, and probably no income to pay it. They just became feral dogs at the mercy of a treacherous ally - McGillis, who will discard them when they are no longer useful.
Actually its because Both Mika and Hush are kinda like what galileo and Ein were, only difference is Mika doesn't understand how too feel with Hush hence why Mika keeps calling Hush annoying, and if Mika and Vidar fight and Hush is there the scene will play out exactly like season 1 did ( when Ein took the hit for galileo) if that happens not only will this give Mika development ( you don't know what you have until you lose it, kinda thing ) but this will also make the relationship between Mika and Orga that much stronger, how you say ? lets just say Orga is gonna do what Mika did for him. ( I remember Yazi even saying something like this ) they might even come to understand hate only creates more hate.
Last edited by X_zoro on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuruni

Ok, anyone else think Mika will recognize "Gali-gali" despite Vidar's synthetic voice? :mrgreen:

And that remind me, I wonder if Bauduin the Elder know something about Vidar the MS? Rustal might swap and cremated some random corpse in Gaelio's place (isn't that hard, really), but Kimaris being missing from its warehouse should be more alarming (hmm, maybe there's Graze Kimaris there. Might not be too hard since nobody try to pilot it).
Loop_Stratos

My thoughts off of my head:
-McGillis has now been married. I didn't expect this but it can be predicted(I think).
-Bael-is-awesome.
-Was that AV on McGillis? Seems like it.
IMO

This is just a block of text. Move on.
Kuruni

Ok. Lets say IBO is heavily inspired by Berserk and McGillis' past is very similar to Griffith. Explain why he has some respect to Tekkadan...and why he's so twisted as a person.

Vidar unmask and it's Gaelio like we know all along. He look much cooler though, and is clearly much growth up since S1.

And Vidar really has Ein inside all along too. It's interesting that Mika actually remember him.

And look like Gjallarhorn manage to implant AV on adult too.

Well, McGillis' plan is surprisingly underwhelming. Ok, Bael is pretty cool (the wings remind me of Freedom even more) but it appear that he bet on its effect as symbol of Gjallarhorn, and surely Gaelio manage to reduce it. We have to to for another episode to see how well it work though. But really, they expect it to be "instant win" card? Even without Gaelio it would still be unrealistic expectation. I wish he has more practical plan to use.

Fun symbolism. McGillis bring out Bael the "King" of 72 Gundams to back up his supreme authority, and the one that challenge it is Vidar, the Gundam that's removed from 72.

Poor Almiria... especially since McGillis even call her his wife now.
Amion

I... don't quite know where to start... or if there's a place to start. :|

So, all I can say is, yep, McGillis will betray Tekkadan the instant he gets the opportunity, as expected. I'm genuinely displeased with that. But that's the destiny of all blonde men in Gundam. I just can't believe what explanation was used to twist him. In a way, it makes total sense, but makes everything to do with Tekkadan extra creepy, and all his interactions with Almiria Extra extra creepy, maybe give it a third considering it was Iznario who was responsible for arranging the marriage. Dear Lord.

What I find disturbing is I always felt this vibe from McGillis being a sexual predator, ever since he offered candy to every little kid in sight, and even eats the ladybug chocolates himself. If I ever rewatch those scenes, they'd have utterly disturbing connotations attached. Here I thought such a thing was impossible. Unfortunately, I was as wrong as it is possible to be.

The Vidar Gundam and Galileo won the episode for me. It is very unfortunate that we didn't receive a longer battle sequence. Really, pacing department? But no, not yet. At least Galileo has a cool appearance and an even sweeter machine. Vidar is now my favorite Masked Man in Gundam, overcoming even the original's flare. It's also nice that he's, technically at least, a good guy, or a better one than the Psychopath in control of Bael. Also, great touch with Galileo's self-awareness that they've both basically been competing for the Char role. Only now he's declared his intentions to slay the ghastly traitor, and that means his extended lease on life is about to expire.

Speaking of expiration, good grief, does he off his loli next? Or is she committing suicide now that she realizes a very bad man has been dandling her on his lap all this time? Or has someone stooped low enough to assassinate the poor thing?

Despite the revelations, I think what floored me most about this episode was Idiok's fate. It... it's not possible, but I seriously think he IS going to be the LAST SURVIVING Seven Stars member! I can see it now! Everyone else dies in an epic battle while he's practicing his kanji! (and he has a sweet room. Gotta give the man marks for interior decorating. Maybe that was his missed calling and he's now hearing it :mrgreen: I just dig those elegant waves on the walls) But he looks content, contemplative... dare he be trying to gain enlightenment. that's too good for the likes of him! Just keep drawing in there, and maybe a wayward anti-ship club will give you something to really meditate about. In the void of space. :twisted:

As for the final battles, it looks like we could be in for some confusion on who fights who. Hopefully Julietta will get a rematch with Mika before all is done.