Galaxy Kikotai: Majestic Prince

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: Galaxy Kikotai: Majestic Prince

I laughed so hard at that car seen. It made this episode worth it, that and Kei's infuriated verbal assault.

It would be contrary to Suruga's character not to be the first to see the six ranger's new unit.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Zeonista

Overlord Zaru wrote:I wouldn't think that Izuru would turn into a pacifist because he's up against drones who have no feeling other than to obey their superiors, who want to kill all earthlings and harvest the best genes for themselves. He's saddened because of the comparison between them(the drones) and themselves. Themselves(rabbits) are treated as human beings for the most part and are cared for(foster families, Suzukaze, their pit crews, and each other) whereas the drones only obey until they drop dead. Asagi is just PO'ed by it all.
You've got it right, there was no soapboxing in this episode, which was alright. All three guys expressed dissatisfaction and anger to some extent that the aliens relied on drones who didn't get a say in the matter of fighting. At least Zannen Team Rabbit has agreed to be the test subjects for AHMISB, and they've gotten support from the non-pilots and thanks for their efforts. The drones. well, they are expendable test & development units, and that's the nicest thing that can be said.
I loved Tamaki in the spotlight this episode. The carrot-on-a-stick method used by the Bridge dudes was sound, and Tamaki's pit crew, while nothing more than fatso techies, are actually pretty darn professional and efficient, even under critical situations. It's these little things that makes me appreciate this show.
Tamaki in the spotlight getting massive positive combatinfluence from the bridge rabbits was hilariously good tactics, which were 100% successful. Kei's :roll: face was good too. :D The entire mission had some Mars-specific hazards that kept things from getting dull, which made for good story, another reason to like the show.

Strike Zero: I want the figurines.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Overlord Zaru

This episode

Made me smile from ear to ear

Asagi and loli-mechanic bonding.

Suruga and Pillar Man Crew being MANLY MEN. WE DO NOT FEAR RADIATION. WE SOAK IT IN LIKE BIG MUSCLY ASTEROIDS. I thought he had a bazooka for a second there.

Izuru was adorable. I mean, he's the ultimate male moe(outside of Kaiji). If he was female cue the fanart and the waifu-calling.

The spotlight however, was Kei and Tamaki. The car sequence, the Engrish from NotYamada, Kei's verbal assault on the swimsuit, and the fanservice moments(Nurse and swimsuits~) were nicely done.

But the little things man: Suruga and his crew bonding. Asagi forming a familiar bond with loli-mechanic. Izuru's crew reading his manga and making him proud and happy. And then there is Kei and Tamaki going through out that hellacious day all because they had each other and were willing to go through it.

And need I remind you that this series still has a dark backdrop in the distance what with the ethics of clones/drones, the Vulgar, and humanity on the losing end of the war with incompetents at positions of power?

It's like One Piece: Wacky Space(or Pirate) Adventures, with dark mature stuff in the background(what I mentioned above compared to OP's World Government corruption, how the world truly is crapsack, and the themes shown through out the series).

I love this series. So so much. I hope it does well in Japan though. It deserves a 2nd season possibly! How's sales on DVDs and kits going?
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
Amion

Overlord Zaru wrote:This episode

Made me smile from ear to ear

Asagi and loli-mechanic bonding.

Suruga and Pillar Man Crew being MANLY MEN. WE DO NOT FEAR RADIATION. WE SOAK IT IN LIKE BIG MUSCLY ASTEROIDS. I thought he had a bazooka for a second there.

Izuru was adorable. I mean, he's the ultimate male moe(outside of Kaiji). If he was female cue the fanart and the waifu-calling.

The spotlight however, was Kei and Tamaki. The car sequence, the Engrish from NotYamada, Kei's verbal assault on the swimsuit, and the fanservice moments(Nurse and swimsuits~) were nicely done.

But the little things man: Suruga and his crew bonding. Asagi forming a familiar bond with loli-mechanic. Izuru's crew reading his manga and making him proud and happy. And then there is Kei and Tamaki going through out that hellacious day all because they had each other and were willing to go through it.

And need I remind you that this series still has a dark backdrop in the distance what with the ethics of clones/drones, the Vulgar, and humanity on the losing end of the war with incompetents at positions of power?

It's like One Piece: Wacky Space(or Pirate) Adventures, with dark mature stuff in the background(what I mentioned above compared to OP's World Government corruption, how the world truly is crapsack, and the themes shown through out the series).

I love this series. So so much. I hope it does well in Japan though. It deserves a 2nd season possibly! How's sales on DVDs and kits going?
It's actually a manga, Zaru, although I'm not sure exactly how different it is, you know how these things go. :roll:

I liked what you said about One Piece, there are similarities, although the character designs in MJP are more likable to the general public not blessed with the appreciation for creative art. :D
Overlord Zaru

I heard the manga and TV series are way different, and so far, I like the TV.

I don't really mind character design and art, as long as I get a good story in. Just because something looks pretty, doesn't mean it's pretty underneath(see: Sword Art Online).
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
schwarz ritter

Only of the three that feels like a straight up mecha series. Most consistent of the three. The one that stays true to itself.

So far, this is my favorite show of the season (besides Titan, of course).

So the latest episode...was fantastic. Felt kinda slow, mostly because of the lack of action, but it was a good change. The car rampage was perhaps the single best moment.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Wellman

schwarz ritter wrote:Only of the three that feels like a straight up mecha series. Most consistent of the three. The one that stays true to itself.

So far, this is my favorite show of the season (besides Titan, of course).

So the latest episode...was fantastic. Felt kinda slow, mostly because of the lack of action, but it was a good change. The car rampage was perhaps the single best moment.
I agree, of the shows this one is also my favorite and IMO the best, even though I enjoy the others, this is the best. Feels like it pays homage to certain old school elements while not being held prisoner by them. I'm glad it is going to go on longer then 13 episodes, I want to see how this one plays out.
Overlord Zaru

The only downside is that it's not getting enough sales from what I've heard, although it will run for 24 episodes.

The fact that Gargantia and VVV are getting more sales than this a crime. This is the much better written work.
Amion

You mean Prince isn't getting the love? WHY? This is a crime, just a crime.

Don't Tell Me Komine's Incompetence IS THE CAUSE!? The man's so stupid I wouldn't be surprised.

But really, I can see Gargantia getting the love, but Valvrave hasn't been good enough to compete with the likes of MJP. Is it possible it isn't being advertized as much?
Overlord Zaru

It's probably due to lack of homolust and moe(VVV and Gargantia respectively).

Plus, VVV is crazy and written by the Geass guys, so people came frolicking for another Guilty Crown trainwreck and that i's very similar to Gundam SEED, which made jillions. For Gargantia it had Urobutcher directing, and all the cute-ness about it made people think "hey! Time for character deaths!"

Another factor for VVV>MJP is that it has high school stuff and school students that are relatable and the MC being relatable and after 2 girls, an everyday Betty and a Veronica Vampire Idol. For MJP, the Rabbits team has graduated school and are now in the military. That can be sympathetic and relatable here in the states, but in a demilitarized Japan that has a small army, not many watchers can relate and thus are confused because it's entering into new territory.

And maybe it has something to do with it's late night timeslot perhaps? We would need to see on their DVD/BDs as well as their model kit sales. I mentioned only TV ratings, so hopefully MJP can be perked up with kits and BDs.
Amion

Hmm, you know...I've suddenly got this feeling that Valvrave is possibly an answer to AGE's discovery that kids in Japan just don't want a serious mecha show (as we call it) with military activity and warfare. Valvrave runs like a school drama, but taking place in the future and thus not losing kids completely while still providing those giant robot battles we all seem to have a fetish for. :)

MJP sadly, has an alian race, Team Rabbits, which literally are experiments, and a supposed "highschool" that's really not focused on and is not much different than a teenage level military training academy, which is a solid idea here in the US, but not so like you said in Japan.

But you know, watching Gundam X as I am, which had a late-night timeslot, I'd say that has a defining factor in it. Some people have to sleep, so the general population probably wouldn't be as likely to tune in and lose work/school depriving rest. They might try it, but it's not as good as prime time.

And it sucks, because MJP has such good interactions beyond its humor. I was sure that the audience that's kept OP going on for so long would be disposed toward this show's brand of characters. Oh well, at least we enjoy it. :wink:
Zeonista

Overlord Zaru wrote:Asagi and loli-mechanic bonding.
Asagi is a nice guy. Although that shot about him hanging with her 'cause he had no girlfriend was brutal.
I thought he was going to shoot something too, and he did,,,sort of. Good running gag buildup on that and all the other activities as well.
Poor guy, he was so eager for the tech crew to read his manga that they couldn't refuse him. Or give him an honest review, too. :D
You were all quoting Chio-chan during the crazy driving sequence, right? I know you were; I was! :lol: The girls had it rough, doing the PR. I'm sure Kei's VA channeled all her iner rage at having to do similar events and wear similar clothing in the past. ;) I still want the figurines.
Yeah, this was the fluffy fun breather before the feces hits the fan. Now, on to angst and carnage!
Unfortunately Gargantia & Valvrave stole its thunder early on, going for Big Reveals and unorthodox story development early while MJP took the standard plot development route. So don't get your hopes up, although I suspect this is a 24 or 25 episode program anyway. Which is too bad, because MJP is like the Yamato reboot in both honoring the older classics it was based on, while building on them for a newer, expanded & serious look.

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Amion

In what way is MJP orthodox, Zeonista? (asking for honest explanation here, no argument). I don't see it...I mean, Gargantia is new, but Valvrave had our standard Gundam opening in the first two episodes or so, barring Shoko's supposed demise. MJP seems pretty incomparable to most mecha shows...but hey, other than Orguss, I'm an uneducated heathen.

Do you think that MJP will continue through the summer? Valvrave is supposed to go on break, and Gargantia is essentially over save for the battle with Striker. Perhaps the love will grow if people need mecha and it provides. And we know it can deliver the action.... :D I got sold the moment Izuru hurled those shields to save Tamaki.
Overlord Zaru

MJP is continuing during the summer, from what I've been told.
Amion

Good news then, mayhaps it will pick up what Gargantia and Valvrave drop.
Mythgarr

sadly, there are no kits for Majestic Prince.
Total shame!
Visit The Dreams
yazi88

Well, no new episode today but rather a TV special with some voice actor commentary.
Overlord Zaru

Mythgarr wrote:sadly, there are no kits for Majestic Prince.
Total shame!
Are you kidding me?

That's a crime

There needs to be kits. STAT.
Zeonista

Amion wrote:In what way is MJP orthodox, Zeonista? (asking for honest explanation here, no argument). I don't see it...I mean, Gargantia is new, but Valvrave had our standard Gundam opening in the first two episodes or so, barring Shoko's supposed demise. MJP seems pretty incomparable to most mecha shows...but hey, other than Orguss, I'm an uneducated heathen.
MJP is classic mecha anime in the multi-member team format, updated for the 21st century, with the heroes having to live up to their billing, and the villains having more depth than robeast-launching. There's no trope subversion either, the show is dedicated to proving that piloting a giant robot to defend the earth is a job for cool heroes, even if the heroes themselves have to be convinced of it first. (Well four out of five anyway; Izuru is already sold on it. :) ) Just for good measure, the tech crews are all archetypes as well, the mecha tech was obtained from the alien invaders, and there is Earth-Alien romance!
Do you think that MJP will continue through the summer? Valvrave is supposed to go on break, and Gargantia is essentially over save for the battle with Striker.
I'm picking MJP and Valvrave to run through summer. Neither show is ready to wrap up; they are both hitting their stride and piling on story, with shovel-loads of mecha combat and character interaction on both sides of the battle. SInce IG has gathered a lot of talent for their show and has sunk the work and yen into it, I would be very surprised if they just left it at 12 or 13.

Mythgear: Compared to the glory days of Japan Inc gone by, the current anime market post-bubble is really slow to support shows unless they are proven hits. But how's a fan to stoke their love for the show (and prove its worth) without something other than fanart? It practically takes 'til the DVDs hit the market to get models, figurines, and other "chara goods" (such as they are) these days. And that also includes the moeblob shows, not just the big-ticket mecha shows. Anime fans are more fickle these days too. I f they want us to collect Team Rabbit mecha sets, we better get 'em before the show is last season's news.

Wellman

yazi88 wrote:Well, no new episode today but rather a TV special with some voice actor commentary.
Seriously? :(

I was so anxious for some quality mecha battles for it for the past two days as well.