The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
User avatar
ShadowCell
Moderator
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by ShadowCell » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:32 pm

ORegan wrote:Vageta is 321897x10^4 times stronger than Goku will ever hope to be.
WHAT 321897x10^4?!

User avatar
Chris
Administrator
Posts: 4677
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Contact:

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by Chris » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:44 pm

InjuredPelican wrote:I don't understand why someone's favorite character has to be the "best" character. Its not like your identity is somehow tied to the character's identity...
Unfortunately, for a lot of pathetic people out there, that's exactly how it is. I've seen people get ridiculously emotional about characters they feel they're tied to, to the point of hysteria. They project so much of their desires on the character that they take any criticism of that character as an affront to themselves.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

User avatar
Amadi Akintunde
Posts: 722
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by Amadi Akintunde » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:00 pm

Chris wrote:
InjuredPelican wrote:I don't understand why someone's favorite character has to be the "best" character. Its not like your identity is somehow tied to the character's identity...
Unfortunately, for a lot of pathetic people out there, that's exactly how it is. I've seen people get ridiculously emotional about characters they feel they're tied to, to the point of hysteria. They project so much of their desires on the character that they take any criticism of that character as an affront to themselves.
This kinda thing happens with the majority of Ace Combat fans all the time too. What with the predominate 'best aces ever' being Mobius 1 and Yellow 13; the moment you contest that everyone and I mean EVERYONE is up your ass.

but this is not about ace combat

But still to the point of elitism

User avatar
Kuruni
Posts: 2946
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:43 am
Location: sitting next to a yandere loli
Contact:

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by Kuruni » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:49 pm

Red Comet90 wrote:yaoi fangirls. They care for the characters looks and not so much anything to do with the story or the actual characters.[/color]
Funny enough, there are "mecha fan" whose only care for mech and not so much anything to do with the story or the actual characters, beyond that link with mech's background. And...usually this group isn't annoying at all (and face it, they're Bandai's most favor customers). :mrgreen:
My girlfriend was a loli.

User avatar
Kyuzo Aoi
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:13 am

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by Kyuzo Aoi » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:46 am

As a Gundam fan whose heart is ignited by the Wing phenomenon [in the Philippines, and that was two years before Wing was broadcasted to North America], I see this fandom rivalry and broken base quite...laughable and a source of sorrow. On one hand, I didn't like the attitude of the softcore fans for ignoring certain aspects like the plot and the characterization, however poor they might be. On the other, I criticize the "Hardcore" or, too controversial to say, the "elitist" fans for viewing the softcores as peons and somehow noted instead by their extent of hatred of aspects of fandom or even certain people.

People, being too serious sometimes can have unfortunate consequences.

And besides, there are both "hardcores" and "softcores" in each branch of Gundam fandom. For example, the Wing fandom had many softcore fans, but had attracted hardcores like for example, Adam Schiller [AKA MyleneBowman, Akira Hojo] because the story is for them, surprisingly deep. On the other hand, there will be hardcore UC fans like ShadowCell who criticize Wing as too shallow [and I've read the page criticizing Wing].

People had their own opinions. But criticism should not come to the point that they will bring drama to real life.
I am a Gundam!

User avatar
ShadowCell
Moderator
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by ShadowCell » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:54 am

Since then, I've rewatched Wing and some UC and realized that it's all shallow, so I was wrong to single Wing out for it.

But like hey if you want to call me a hardcore UC fan then okay, I'll just be a hardcore UC fan who kind of detests other hardcore UC fans. =D

User avatar
Kyuzo Aoi
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:13 am

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by Kyuzo Aoi » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:01 am

In any case, the best option is to respect each other's fandom and state in a simple yet unrude manner why they didn't like other shows. :wink:

In short, peace to other fans. Or else, it will be like the fandom of Communism with all it's splits. :roll:
I am a Gundam!

User avatar
Amadi Akintunde
Posts: 722
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by Amadi Akintunde » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:47 am

To be honest, I just watch Gundam for essence of a well told story these days, as well as characters and mech design. But purely, how deep the stories go. I've also noticed that Wing is actually alot better than what most haters say about it. The Gundam pilots were competent, and rather very dedicated to their causes. While most of the characters could have used some better development and some useful screen time, it was still nicely written. And somewhat more... 'modern' than most would see it as.

User avatar
Red Comet90
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:25 pm
Location: Axis
Contact:

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by Red Comet90 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:51 am

Kuruni wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote:yaoi fangirls. They care for the characters looks and not so much anything to do with the story or the actual characters.[/color]
Funny enough, there are "mecha fan" whose only care for mech and not so much anything to do with the story or the actual characters, beyond that link with mech's background. And...usually this group isn't annoying at all (and face it, they're Bandai's most favor customers). :mrgreen:
Quoted for so much truth!

My father only watched Code Geass because it had mecha in it. No lie. Only reason the MG Full Burst Strike Freedom isn't at my place is because he wanted me to build it for him because he bought it. :lol: He also has the GFF Deep Striker. He has more expensive Gundam stuff than I do!
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn

User avatar
Amadi Akintunde
Posts: 722
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by Amadi Akintunde » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:56 am

Red Comet90 wrote:
Kuruni wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote:yaoi fangirls. They care for the characters looks and not so much anything to do with the story or the actual characters.[/color]
Funny enough, there are "mecha fan" whose only care for mech and not so much anything to do with the story or the actual characters, beyond that link with mech's background. And...usually this group isn't annoying at all (and face it, they're Bandai's most favor customers). :mrgreen:
Quoted for so much truth!

My father only watched Code Geass because it had mecha in it. No lie. Only reason the MG Full Burst Strike Freedom isn't at my place is because he wanted me to build it for him because he bought it. :lol: He also has the GFF Deep Striker. He has more expensive Gundam stuff than I do!
Those kinds of fans are likable too, because you don't need to fight with them about what series is better or not.

EZero8
Moderator
Posts: 2146
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:42 am

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by EZero8 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:14 am

Amadi Akintunde wrote:Those kinds of fans are likable too, because you don't need to fight with them about what series is better or not.
Not necessarily true. I've seen countless times where mecha-only fans have stubbornly said Destiny was the best Gundam series just because "Strike Freedom = l33t h4x!"
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"

User avatar
Amadi Akintunde
Posts: 722
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by Amadi Akintunde » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:34 am

EZero8 wrote:
Amadi Akintunde wrote:Those kinds of fans are likable too, because you don't need to fight with them about what series is better or not.
Not necessarily true. I've seen countless times where mecha-only fans have stubbornly said Destiny was the best Gundam series just because "Strike Freedom = l33t h4x!"
Well yes, there's another problem.

User avatar
InjuredPelican
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:43 pm
Location: United States of Ameria

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by InjuredPelican » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:55 pm

ORegan wrote:
Don't you DARE talk about Vageta this way. I swear to God*Vageta* that I will shoot you where you stand in the face with an energy beam. Vageta is 321897x10^4 times stronger than Goku will ever hope to be. He was raised trained and lived as a warrior while Goku sat his fat ass on Earth eating pies and getting his ass whooped by a military infatuated with pretty red ribbons and collecting a dragon's hard orange balls the size of grapefruits. :evil:

I'm joking. I'm just showing any 'elitists' reading this how stupid they look. =P Shadow, don't touch me inappropriately for this XD
Somehow I thought this would happen...

EDIT: I just now saw the dark font...
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack

User avatar
ORegan
Posts: 1823
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:49 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by ORegan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:09 pm

InjuredPelican wrote:
ORegan wrote:
Don't you DARE talk about Vageta this way. I swear to God*Vageta* that I will shoot you where you stand in the face with an energy beam. Vageta is 321897x10^4 times stronger than Goku will ever hope to be. He was raised trained and lived as a warrior while Goku sat his fat ass on Earth eating pies and getting his ass whooped by a military infatuated with pretty red ribbons and collecting a dragon's hard orange balls the size of grapefruits. :evil:

I'm joking. I'm just showing any 'elitists' reading this how stupid they look. =P Shadow, don't touch me inappropriately for this XD
Somehow I thought this would happen...

EDIT: I just now saw the dark font...

You didn't read the actual coded text when you clicked the quote button? But how well did I portray an elitist? :P
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?

User avatar
HellCat
Posts: 1491
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:24 am

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by HellCat » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:12 am

Personally, I tend to like all Gundam in some way. Because I'm a whore.

But seriously, the flame wars are annoying. Random example that comes to mind- I did an Amazon review of Gundam SEED volume 2 where I said some interesting themes were introduced but the pacing was poor. The newly added comment feature allowed someone to inform me that apparently unless you adore SEED, you're not a 'true' fan.
I think something to keep in mind is that many of these folks are effective posers who will dump their once rabidly defended favourites suprisingly quick. Case in point, all the SEED sites/communities which died off or converted to 00 ones. I'm preaching common sense, but it's just best to like what you like and let others do the same. I have an appreciation for UC but not to the extent of some people. But that's fine, they can enjoy it whilst I'm in the corner being amused by G and SD.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

User avatar
AmuroNT1
Posts: 3691
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by AmuroNT1 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:39 pm

ShadowCell: I understand what you mean, and I certainly don't mean to disparage those who are gay, or even those who are into yaoi within reason. The people that bug me are those who don't even recognize the official characterization because it doesn't suit their needs and only care about the fact that a show contains cute boys.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power

User avatar
ShadowCell
Moderator
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by ShadowCell » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:33 pm

Well, yeah, they do twist characters around until they resemble no character so much as their own fantasies; I'm just saying that that's not really a trait exclusive to yaoi fangirls. They do it the same as anyone else...but there's all the other people who do it too.

User avatar
Kuruni
Posts: 2946
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:43 am
Location: sitting next to a yandere loli
Contact:

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by Kuruni » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:01 am

In fact, some of hentai can be as bad as yaoi. Although I welcome former more (depend on art styl) :mrgreen: .

Of cause, plus point goes for modeller when it come to twisting plot. Mainly because their production, fantasy diorama, is much more respectable than fanfic :mrgreen: .
My girlfriend was a loli.

User avatar
thanatos
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:57 pm
Location: Canada

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by thanatos » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Disputes in the fandom are always meaningless. I never had any contact with anime fandom, or Gundam fandom specifically, until a few years ago and I'm still unsure whether it's worth being a part of. There so much petty whining out there that serious discussion is almost unheard of. If I can drip my toes into the fandom just enough to keep an eye on new shows or on any older shows that have never heard of, then that's enough.

Anime Asceticism - that's my philosophy.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"

User avatar
Calubin_175
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:06 pm

Re: The Elitism of UC Gundam Fans?

Post by Calubin_175 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:46 pm

It is just as simple as adults versus kids. I am a UC fan and just had a discussion with a newbie modern anime fan who only likes Wing and beyond.

Just ask yourselves some questions.

Why do you watch a certain production/work?
Do you analyse it in an intelligent adult way?
Can the production/work be analysed in an adult way?
Do you find joy in analysing it?
Do you like critiquing work for scholary and hobby purposes?

Obviously, mature anime audiences will find UC more appealing as there are more things to analyse given the long history. Newbie fans just like AU productions/works soley as an anime and nothing more since there is nothing to analyse. Such as neutron Jammer cancellor and Seed power. 00 is a more balanced universe including some plausible science and onscreen emperical evidence to support theories. I personally find the Tieren and Flag as the most appealing mechas of 00.

By the way, I have to say an understanding of the Japanese language is crucial for expanding horizons. Prior to learning Japanese, I had absolutely no access to mecha references.

In anycase, most people on this forum are respectable intellectuals anyway.

Locked