Ep. 090: Avengers: Age of Ultron

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 090: Avengers: Age of Ultron

Chaos Theater Ep. 090 - "Avengers: Age of Ultron"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 107 mins, 39 sec. (1:47:39) 49.28 MB

Special Guest Hosts: Magen Cubed & Blaine (opening and Avengers)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:25:45

02. Discussion: "Avengers: Age of Ultron"
Runtime: 0:26:23 - 1:42:09

03. Outro: "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:42:49 - 1:45:04

Podcasters Assemble! In this episode, we're joined by Magen Cubed and Blaine from Comics Squared to talk Marvel at the movies. After catching up on what we've been doing, we jump into a long discussion about the latest entry in the MCU, Avengers: Age of Ultron. Because of the length of that segment, we do a quick closing with no Audible or recommendations. The end of the episode teases the next topic as focusing on The Dark Knight, but instead next time it's all about The Man Without Fear.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"In the Face of Evil" from Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number by Magic Sword
"She Swallowed Burning Coals" from Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number by El Tigr3

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
fearjunkee

Re: Ep. 090: Avengers: Age of Ultron

Some of my thoughts on Ultron:

1. While I'm all for the Bruce/Natasha relationship, it felt as if we had all missed a Hulk movie.
2. I was really disappointed that Coulson wasn't in the movie. Yes, Whedon said he had reasons, but I would have liked getting Coulson back in the movies.
3. Speaking of comic books, as ridiculous as Ultron's colony drop plan was, it was such a delightfully comic book plan I couldn't help but love it.
4. James Spader did an amazing job voicing Ultron.
phillosmaster

I liked the movie over all, but I do have issues. I think I already said my fill in the other forum about this movie, but I'll just stress.

1.) Yeah Natasha and Bruce don't feel like the same characters in this movie. I don't mind them having a romance, but it wasn't pulled off too well. Also Natasha spends too much time chasing Bruce in this movie and it does the character a great disservice.

2.) My second point is about the Marvel villains. This one should probably be in spoilers since it kind spoils all the Marvel movies so far.
Spoiler
I know this is only my opinion, but I really wish they would stop killing the villains. The villains are half the appeal of these comic book stories and by killing them off each movie it kind of ruins any ability for them to grow beyond one movie like our heroes get to do.

The Dead List:
Iron Monger
Whiplash
Malekith
Algrim
Aldrich Killian
Baron Strucker
Ronan
The Red Skull
Alexander Pierce
Arnim Zola
Ultron

The Alive List:
Justin Hammer
Crossbones
Loki
Thanos
The Claw
Nebula

I doubt we'll see Justin Hammer again. I'm willing to bet the plan is to kill The Claw, Crossbones and Thanos off in their upcoming movies, but at least the set them up before hand. So we are going in a better direction.

I think Loki proves that a villain could lose, not die and still give the movie the proper narrative arc to be a fulfilling experience.
As a side note on the topic of villains I wonder how brave Gunn is now that Rocket is a cool property. Could we see some Rocket villains in the future like Blackjack O'Hare or Judson Jakes. That would make me very happy.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Wingnut

The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Destiny_Gundam

Hate to be that guy, but the line is just "You didn't see that coming?"

The whole Hulk/Widow thing was poorly done, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a Cap/Widow shipper. You covered the main points, especially how their characters got damaged just to force that in there.

Ultron was fun enough, but I didn't find him all that threatening. He was basically a kid throwing a tantrum. Granted being a smartass is what I'd expect a Tony invented Ultron to be, but he doesn't hold a candle to the emotionless killing machine one.

Why did Tony need to make Ultron when he had JARVIS anyways? JARVIS could already control the Iron Legion just fine.

Overall it's a good movie, but definitely more flawed and less focused than the first one. I think it's good that Whedon is leaving before he slips further and I'm looking forward to what the Russos will do.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."