Dom and urban combat in UC

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

Dom and urban combat in UC

Could anyone remember any instance of Dom-type mobile suits engaging in urban combat? I wonder not only how would the machines would manuever inside a city with their bulky size, but also how the city landscape affect the hoverjets?

And speaking of which, how do you think urban infantry combat usually happen in UC? The weapons they have don't seem that far off from what we have, but do they have good sattelite reconnaisance and all that jazz?
MythSearcher

Re: Dom and urban combat in UC

False Prophet wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:04 am Could anyone remember any instance of Dom-type mobile suits engaging in urban combat? I wonder not only how would the machines would manuever inside a city with their bulky size, but also how the city landscape affect the hoverjets?

And speaking of which, how do you think urban infantry combat usually happen in UC? The weapons they have don't seem that far off from what we have, but do they have good sattelite reconnaisance and all that jazz?
No, and there isn't a lot of urban combat to begin with.
I'd imagine the hoverjets are pretty good to use on roads, but most larger cities have overhead bridges which definitely gets in the way of MSs. So they probably need very good navigation so they know where they are going, and I don't think they can go full speed because that is obviously too fast.(Actually, even without the hover, the 110km/h spec on the MS-09R top running speed, which is the slowest of the regular types, is still too fast for most urban cities, unless you are talking about few of the main highways just passing through.)

Satellite reconnaissance was widely use before OYW for the EFGF. The M61 was designed to use satellite linking and basically fight without even seeing the enemies. But Zeon destroy all the satellites before landing on Earth and even if they want to use it, the Minovsky particles are likely causing a lot of trouble that they seem to have to fall back to use wired communication in a lot of places, so no, they don't get those.
Mafty

The Dom was in 08th MS Team, and their final battle was in a city. Can anyone remember if the Dom was used in that battle?
John-Luck Pickerd

In 08th MS team, the battle in the city, there is a Dom that hovered and jumped. So Doms are perfectly useable in urban combat. I guess the hot thermonuclear jet could damage the ground if the asphalt was heated up too much tho. But honestly, even the 99kmh run speed of Gouf is probably already a tad too fast for urban environment. So I dont think Doms would be moving very fast or get very hot anyway.

As for satellites; I'd imagine minovsky particles would do wicked things to them; according to Zeonic front, minovsky particle can interfere with visible light in combat density. I guess stuff like UV or other high-frequency EM-waves could penetrate the particles, but I am not sure if UV waves can be used as detection.
MythSearcher

John-Luck Pickerd wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:03 pm In 08th MS team, the battle in the city, there is a Dom that hovered and jumped. So Doms are perfectly useable in urban combat. I guess the hot thermonuclear jet could damage the ground if the asphalt was heated up too much tho. But honestly, even the 99kmh run speed of Gouf is probably already a tad too fast for urban environment. So I dont think Doms would be moving very fast or get very hot anyway.

As for satellites; I'd imagine minovsky particles would do wicked things to them; according to Zeonic front, minovsky particle can interfere with visible light in combat density. I guess stuff like UV or other high-frequency EM-waves could penetrate the particles, but I am not sure if UV waves can be used as detection.
The Gouf max run speed is 185km/h, so...

Minovsky particles at combat density can diffract IR and even visible light, and the absorption of UV and higher frequency EM waves by the atmosphere makes them also not very useful.
And there's not much reason military vehicles to be producing a lot of UV for detection. UV isn't too good for human health to begin with, so human made objects don't often give out a lot of it, unless it is for sanitary reasons or triggering fluorescence colour to glow.(black light)
BrentD15

MythSearcher wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:25 pm Satellite reconnaissance was widely use before OYW for the EFGF. The M61 was designed to use satellite linking and basically fight without even seeing the enemies. But Zeon destroy all the satellites before landing on Earth and even if they want to use it, the Minovsky particles are likely causing a lot of trouble that they seem to have to fall back to use wired communication in a lot of places, so no, they don't get those.
Huh, I never even considered that.

I suppose Zeon probably would've put their own satellites in orbit for their own comms, or just have ships orbiting as relays.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
MythSearcher

BrentD15 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:58 am
Huh, I never even considered that.

I suppose Zeon probably would've put their own satellites in orbit for their own comms, or just have ships orbiting as relays.
Ships would be very inefficient as that, I mean, they have so much more other missions they excel in, and defending the orbit isn't really that necessary in the early days of the war(EFSF basically just hid in Lunar 2). I'd say the ships would have a better use in patrolling in areas where they can see Lunar 2 to prevent a sudden rush attack or simply doing transport missions.
Satellites(and thinking of which, small patrol ships with enough communication capabilities?) can be put in place, but likely still pretty useless because they had so much Minovsky particles spread out during any military operations. They have to, because all of their equipment are designed for combat under heavy Minovsky particle influence, if not, they will all be sitting ducks under guided weapons.