Episode 24 - Between a Rock and a Hard Place [Axis]

The last RPG was "Zeta Gundam: Tales from the Frontlines - The AEUG" which ran from 2006-14.
Fritz Ashlyn

Episode 24 - Between a Rock and a Hard Place [Axis]

((All Axis players continue posting here.))

~February 1, Universal Century 0088~
~10:08 Coordinated Universal Time~

- Near Gryps 2 -

- The Bindra -
- Bridge -

"...of course, sir," Capt. Wald responded with a slight bow. M'Quve disappeared from the largest monitor on the bridge, and activity began to resume normally as the captain turned away from the windows. "Imminent attack?" Pizal muttered to himself, not sounding supremely confident. Axis was still in control of the colony laser Gryps 2 but a full week had passed since the Titans' attempt on Haman's life and they were sure to take more direct action soon. Their fleet was still gathered together just close enough to be seen with the naked eye, and while their numbers had dwindled since the attack on the Gate of Zedan they were still dangerous while coordinated under the devilish leadership of Bask Om.

If what M'Quve said was true, the only reason Haman hadn't moved to wipe out the Titans was that she hadn't exhausted their usefulness. That was easy enough to understand when he found out the AEUG had been discovered enroute to Gryps - the whole AEUG, from the sound of it. Once they entered the area there wouldn't be any way to avoid fighting. There would be no more temporary alliances or negotiations. Wald had no doubt in his mind that Axis would succeed in the end, but still... He blew out a breath and adjusted his collar as he hauled himself up into his command chair. Without a distraction from the Trammel or Gwanban he could sit quietly and attempt to enjoy a little peace and quiet.

From their point of view Gryps 2 stretched out ahead of them from below their starboard engine, rotating lazily and looking more like a stubby colony than a weapon of mass destruction. It would be put to good use in due time. Maybe using it to wipe out part of the Federation home fleet would properly honor Gihren's memory. "What a wonderful place to begin our campaign of victory," Julian Meighan said from the bridge entrance. The sound of his voice was enough to make Wald's face twist into a scowl. The same air of confidence with which he carried himself as a servant of Haman-sama and the princess was present in Meighan's words, but coming from him it sounded so... smug.

"Tell me, lieutenant, how did you--" he began to ask sarcastically "ever get that rose", instead changing the tone of his voice, "--find the mobile suit team's performance during their drills around the laser? We must be familiar with the area we're to defend,". If Meighan found the captain's choice of emphasis odd he didn't react outwardly. Julian came to a stop next to the captain's seat and answered, "I think they're fine, sir. Well, perhaps apart from Brouillé. They're still putting her Gaza back together,". "Hm," Wald responded, crossing his arms, "I believe she's been using the simulator in the meantime. I won't fault her for mechanical failure... yet,".
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
King Monkey

Re: Episode 24 - Between a Rock and a Hard Place [Axis]

Djorn Nachjaeger's frustration came through in his flying. He maneuvered his machine with a hard edge that pushed it to it's limits even during the simple patrols that they'd been assigned since returning to Gryps 2. He flew faster, braked harder, turned sharper and basically flew with a furious abandon.

Every time he launched, he remembered the embarrassment of that trio of blue Titans' Mobile Suits hurtling toward them and then turning away at the last moment. He and his unit should have been allowed to engage and destroy the interlopers. It would have been a good symbol for the Titans of what happened when someone messed with the forces of Axis.

Instead, he hadn't been allowed to engaged. He'd been forced to return to the ship without firing a single shot at the enemy.

Still, he warmed himself with the rumors flying around that not only the Titans but also the AEUG would be approaching soon. It promised to be a three way battle that would leave Axis as the only survivor and thus the only power in the Solar System.
Yep...That's Texas in a nutshell. Why just say "f**k you" when you can put it on a flag?

Want to play an Avenger or Spider-man? Come to Marvel 972: http://z10.invisionfree.com/Marvel_Eart ... hp?act=idx
The Loser Villain

Near Gryps 2

Keeping up with Djorn during the patrol was starting to keep Nikolai Tuzenbach from focusing on the actual patrol. It was one thing to fly fast, cause even he understood the monotony of patrol flights, but Djorn was making some downright crazy maneuvers.

Then again, Djorn was something of a hot head, so this didn't really surprise him. But still, something must have been bugging they guy for him to be flying the way he was. All it would take was one wrong maneuver and he could go careening out of control.

"Hey Nachjaeger," he said over the radio, "Any chance that we might make it back to the hangar in one piece?"
"Kamille, if it wasn't for you...." Jerid's last words

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
Fritz Ashlyn

- Near Gryps 2 -

- The Bindra -
- Bridge -

Seeking a reason, any reason, to leave the wonderful company of Julian Meighan, Wald left the bridge in Raquel's capable hands to go check on the hangar. The immediately noticeable thing that stood out was Gwen's Gaza-C sitting in a partially-assembled heap "in" it's rack. The crew had managed to halfway-transform it, and the biggest part was secured in place. Nikolai, Djorn and one or two of the others were on another patrol near the laser, drawing even more attention to the broken down machine in the half-empty hangar. Wald reached out for the railing, bringing himself to a stop at a spot overlooking the few mechanics that were at work. "God help us..." he muttered as he looked at the trainee's MS; all sorts of awful visions of the ship's possible future danced through his head. Trying to defend her highness and Haman-sama in such a crowded area could have devastating consequences.

Opening his eyes (a little disappointed that he hadn't willed the suit back together), he frowned at what he saw as lack of urgency. "We'll be fighting for Haman-sama in less than 72 hours and you're all slacking off! I want to see some hustle!" he shouted, pointing at the crew working on Gwen's suit. He sighed and looked to his left and right, then leaned over the railing to look at the level below his catwalk. "Northran!" he yelled, drumming his fingers on the railing, "Where are you? Put down your paper dolls or whatever you're doing and get out here,".
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
King Monkey

Nikolai's transmission was enough to bring Djorn out of his seething reverie. He let out a long breath that started as an irritated puff of air before answering. "No problem, bud," he radioed back. "Just making sure that you were on the ball."

A lie, of course, but he couldn't exactly come out and say that he was furious about not getting a chance of proving the superiority of Axis by blasting one of those blue mobile suits out of existence and mounting its head on the wall of the hangar.

Realizing that he'd basically zoned out and been completely wrapped up in flying for a while, he checked his instrumentation. Much to his surprise, he realized that he'd burned a lot of propellant with all his antics. Almost a dangerous amount of propellant. Enough propellant that he'd have to be careful to make it all the way back to the ship.

"Hey, how about one more test. Let's just coast back to the ship," he radioed to Tuzenbach again. He made a few adjustments to his MS to aim it properly and then pretty much cut his engines.
Yep...That's Texas in a nutshell. Why just say "f**k you" when you can put it on a flag?

Want to play an Avenger or Spider-man? Come to Marvel 972: http://z10.invisionfree.com/Marvel_Eart ... hp?act=idx
Wedge14

[Pilot Ready Room]
Gwen was released from the infirmary pretty quickly after the initial incident. But soon found herself sent back as she managed to somehow bonk her head off the ceiling of the hallway immediately outside the sickbay.

Gwen wasn't taking the whole incident very well. She hadn't flown since and her machine was pretty close to being just spare parts. She had nothing else to do but look through the old tattered Rick Dom manual that was lent to her by Nikolai.

It suddenly seemed really eerie, the pilot who owned it before had written a lot of notes inside it. None of the information really sunk in because she was too busy thinking about this mystery pilot.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Ziryab

-space-
"...just won't be long now," Pris intoned, mainly to herself though her patrol partner could hear her as well, like a song for the umpteenth time. It was difficult to bounce in your seat once in a zero-g environment but she was no less anxious. Both the Titans and AEUG would soon be arriving here at Gryps 2 for what could assumed to be quite the showdown.

How much longer? She wanted to ask, fingers clenching off the controls. "Starting to regret ever knowing they'll be on their way in three day," she gritted tensely. "The suspense itself is trying to make me crack!" Her attention constantly wavering from her patrol assignment, at times looking off into the distance to see if either the Titans would just pull something already or the AEUG would arrive sooner.

-bridge-
Raquel would have breathed a sigh of relief at the temporary departure of at least Wald, if not Julian, from the bridge. The pre-battle anxiety she hadn't felt since the One Week Battle and close of the One Year War was causing her scalp to itch hideously. Though... a lovely catfight between the two men would alleviate some of the tension for her if not most of the bridge.

She side glanced at Julian as the Captain left the bridge, sizing up the man then gave him an innocent enough smile--wondering if he'd comfortably fit inside a missile Wald would likely want him stuffed in and aimed at either the Titans or AEUG.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
The Loser Villain

Near Gryps 2

"No problem, bud, Just making sure that you were on the ball. Hey, how about one more test. Let's just coast back to the ship."

"Yeah, sounds like a good idea," Nikolai responded. Now he wasn't sure if Djorn was just trying to show off what he'd picked up in the simulators or something else was what influenced his reckless flying. "It would be useful to have tested this at least once, just in case we ever run into a situation where we're low on fuel."

Looking at his HUD he saw that they were actually closer to the test being a reality.

With a frown he cut his engines and began to "coast" on the same heading as Djorn.

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
Fritz Ashlyn

- Near Gryps 2 -

- The Bindra -
- Hangar -

Wald continued to stand impatiently in place, waiting for his yelled questions to be answered as cowed mechanics tried to pass by without raising his attention. Finally, one of the higher ranked men among them approached and tentatively got the captain's attention. "Uh, sir? I believe Miss Northran is on break," he said, prepared to quickly step out of swatting distance. Pizal sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, "And just when is she supposed to be back?" he asked, folding his arms. The petty officer, glad that he hadn't been smacked for his troubles, stood up straighter and answered, "I'm, uh, not sure, sir. It shouldn't be long if you'd like to wait--". Wald shook his head and began to move away from him. "I'll be back later," he said back over his shoulder.

- Bridge -

"--of course, I didn't have to wait that long. Haman-sama also was kind enough to secure me a private audience with the princess. It was short, of course, but that's to be expected. The privilege alone of being considered for it was an honor. Haman-sama never forgets one of her trusted men," Meighan blathered to the bridge crew that had stopped listening several minutes ago. He reached up and lightly tapped the rose pinned to his uniform to illustrate whatever his point was, a smirk firmly planted on his face. "Yes, sir," Vada mumbled, humoring the JG as he went about his work monitoring the patrol flights from the ship. He leaned closer to the monitor showing the Gaza team's IFF signals flitting around the colony laser. "Ma'am," he said, turning around and leaning over to see Raquel past the still talking Julian, "Our main patrol team is on a return course. They'll return in... 8 minutes at their current speed,". He looked again and muttered, "That's funny, the sensors show they've stopped accelerating...".
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

King Monkey

"Uuuh...yeah, exactly. That's exactly why we should do it. To make sure that we can if we have to in an emergency situation. I'm sure that we're going to be in an emergency soon enough," Djorn replied, glad that Nikolai had come up with a good reason for his unusual request without him having to come up with one himself.

It would be ridiculously embarrassing to run out of propellant on a simple patrol and Djorn started to sweat as the distance indicator on his monitor began to slow down and the time between the numbers dropping from one to the next began to get longer and longer.

At the last minute, he hit his side thrusters, pushing his Mobile Suit over a few meters so that he came in perfectly. He released a burst of breath that he hadn't realized he'd been holding as his Mobile Suit came to rest in the hangar.

"Ah. Perfect. Good drill, Nikolai. We'll try it again some other time," he said as he popped the hatch and swung out of the cockpit. He winked at one of the technicians as he tossed his helmet back in behind him and headed for the exit.

wonton bob

- The Bindra -
- Pilot Ready Room -

Matthew still dressed in a normal suit walks in sipping from a bottle and spots Gwen reading from a book. The sight of her relaxing instantly annoys him as he approaches her from behind and with a flick of his wrist he bonks her on the head with the back of his hand.

"Thats for missing out on patrol," he stated plainly after the hard tap. "..didn't miss much just flew around that Thing..god I hate those types of weapon," he continues without looking back.
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
Ziryab

-bridge-

Raquel's mind was inhabiting another place when Vada first called to her. It took a few moments to register that a new voice was vibrating in her ear, once filled only with Julian's continuous prattle. She quizzically turned to Vada then blinked herself into focus. He was talking to her. And Julian was still addressing everyone.

They'll return in... 8 minutes at their current speed,". He looked again and muttered, "That's funny, the sensors show they've stopped accelerating...".

"Have the pilots reported any problems concerning their fuel?" She questioned, her mental fog now completely gone, which was making Julian's crew imposed monologue sound a lot clearer than it did before Vada pulled her back to awareness. "Wa~it," she halted him, "who is it coming back."

She replied to Vada with a disappointed huff from her throat upon hearing Djorn. "Tell him to be thankful that the captain is roaming the ship at the moment and that the next time he does it without warning, I'll help steer him inside a cannon barrel. We rather not have any repeat performances."
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Fritz Ashlyn

- Near Gryps 2 -

- The Bindra -
- Pilot Ready Room -

"NORTH--ran..." Wald demanded, bursting (as well as he could) through the mechanical door into the ready room. Finding only Gwen reading an outdated manual, his shoulders slumped and he sighed. "This is why I stay out of this part of the ship," he muttered, looking back into the hallway to figure out how he mistook the ready area for the mechanics' primary break room. Turning back to Gwen, he pulled down the front of his tunic to straighten his uniform and cleared his throat. "Well then..." he frowned, looking closer at her reading material, "Maybe that's your problem. Studying outdated technology; I'd like to have a frank conversation with whoever taught you to control a mobile suit,".

- Bridge -

"Ens. Nachtjaeger's patrol has landed..." Vada announced over Meighan's droning, meandering self-praise, "I'll pass along that message, ma'am,". His instruments showed their unit's field clear of Trammel Fleet friendlies and the area around them swarming with Axis contacts. How could anyone make a serious attack on the colony laser? He shook his head, not enthused thinking about the scale of the battle that was coming. He had joined the military after the One Year War, but his older brother had described what experiencing A Baoa Qu in person was like. His brother had come home a veteran soldier, but talking about the assault on Zeon's last line of defense made even him go wide-eyed in a way that was scary and exciting. "New patrol flight outgoing from the Mandra," he mumbled, still doing his job without focusing on it. Ltjg. Meighan was still talking.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Wedge14

[ready room]

"Heeeeeeeeeeeeey" Gwen whined at her assaulter only to freeze in fear as the captain entered the room. She'd never seen the man on this side of the ship since like ever....

Captain Wald was pretty much the most coolest and handsomest man in all of space. Gwen gazed towards all flustered as he did this superbadass thing with his uniform and made the most hypnotic sound with his throat. Gwen suddenly blanked out of her trance as she realized he was talking directly to her! A real Zeon veteran a real life hero was talking to her!

"OH Captain Wald sir!" She said like she was out of breath while she tried in vain to get her feet back on the floor. "My instructor was uhh a Mr. Maroc Huldah.."

The Loser Villain

- The Bindra -
- Hangar -

"Ah. Perfect. Good drill, Nikolai. We'll try it again some other time."

"Ah yeah no problem Djorn," Nikolai was sure that Djorn didn't hear his response since he was already out of his cockpit and floating away as he finished his sentence.

After climbing out of the cockpit he stretched a bit as the technicians began to service his Gaza-C. With nothing left to do in the hangar he took off for the ready room. Unfortunately he opened the door as Captain Wald began his small rant at Gwen.

"Well then... Maybe that's your problem. Studying outdated technology; I'd like to have a frank conversation with whoever taught you to control a mobile suit."

Peering around Wald he caught sight of the Rick Dom manual that he'd lent Gwen. Nikolai gulped, hopping that Gwen wouldn't mention that he had given her the manual.

"OH Captain Wald sir! My instructor was uhh a Mr. Maroc Huldah.."

At that point he felt the best thing he could do was stand at attention till Wald turned around and ether ignored him or chewed him out.

wonton bob

- The Bindra -
- Pilot Ready Room -

Hearing Lt. Cmdr. Wald step in and speak to Gwen, Matthew without acknowledging the officer continues on his way for a refill. The order to attack was never issued during the last encounter with the Titans which left a sour taste with him. The last thing Matthew wanted to do was waste his breath with a superior who might be a coward.

- The Bindra -
- Hangar -

Shellia appeared from behind crates stretching her arms and then stuffing them in her pockets. In her dream she could have swore the screwdriver was yelling her name. A yawn escapes her blank look as she walks over to Gwen's Gaza. The ridiculous order to have the suit ready before the next engagement has made her work longer hours than most mechanics on board and catching quick naps when she can.

Staring at the heap and the two mechanics leaning against it, she grabs a print-out and quickly looks it over, "All right. If we forgo the safety protocols and reduce the propulsion.." she motions to the mechanics waiting around, " we might be able to fully transform it...I'll start on the wiring...umm, where do we keep the tools?" she asks as she scratches her head.
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
King Monkey

Vada's message caught up to Djorn somewhere between the hangar and his own quarters. He missed part of it, however, as he was rather intently studying the bottom of the crew woman who was using the gripper in front of him.

"Huh? Wha?" he blinked as he realized that his name had been at the front of the communication. He scowled as he heard the rest of the message and heard who it was from.

There was clearly sarcasm in his tone as he replied, though Vada would have to duplicate it since his words were sweet as honey. "Tell Raquel that I'll take her expert opinion on piloting under advisement and please convey to her my respect for her position on the bridge."

He mumbled something then about how she should stay there and let pilots do their jobs, but it would be really difficult to make out and clearly wasn't meant to be passed on.

Fritz Ashlyn

- Near Gryps 2 -

- The Bindra -
- Pilot Ready Room -

"OH Captain Wald sir!" Gwen cheeped, her enthusiastic, blushing reaction causing the captain's own cheeks to flush slightly, "My instructor was uhh a Mr. Maroc Huldah...". The sudden praise caused his angry demeanor to soften slightly, but he still managed a slight curl of the lip in response to her answer. "Well then, Maroc Huldah has a lot to answer for. God forbid I ever have to rely on his skills as a pilot if that's what he managed to teach you..." he muttered, some of his abrasive attitude returning when he thought about the crippled mobile suit sitting in the hangar NOT being worked on. He shook his head and loosened his collar. He needed every single Gaza ready when the time came to execute Haman's plan at Gryps. If the repairs took much longer he'd have to answer to M'Quve, a thought that did not appeal to him.

Turning back for the door, the captain sighed, "Well then Miss Brouillé, if you hope to be promoted at some point in the future-- AH!". He recoiled when he found himself almost face to face with the silent Nikolai, causing him to lose contact with the floor and flounder in place for a moment because of the zero-g. "Tuzenbach!" he snapped, "Don't do that!".

- Bridge -

"Tell Raquel that I'll take her expert opinion on piloting under advisement and please convey to her my respect for her position on the bridge.". Vada rolled his eyes at Djorn's answer. Nachtjaeger was technically Graden's second in command but he couldn't imagine the cocky pilot taking over in a dangerous situation. He wasn't serious enough, well, ever. "...and then once they accepted me I began to gather information. The AEUG is tough but they lack discipline..." Julian was droning, causing one of the other operators' head to droop. Vada elbowed him in the ribs to keep him awake and then turned in his seat to speak to Raquel. "Ma'am, Ens. Nachtjaeger got your message and apologized - I'm sure he'll be more careful in the future," he reported.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Wedge14

Gwen kept her composure as the captain spoke to her. Maroc Huldah was a great mobile suit pilot, in the simulations he could take down Gwen's whole class on his own! Of course Capt. Wald would want to meet him, Huldah was probably almost as cool as him! To be blamed for her suit being neutralized was unfair. It was totally not even her fault, that titans pilot flew way to close.

After insulting her abilities as a pilot Gwen suddenly felt like the world was closing down on her. Suddenly captain Wald seemed less cool then Huldah, but still he was pretty cool. "But captain..." she managed to blurt out as Nikolai almost rail roaded Wald.

The Loser Villain

- The Bindra -
- Pilot Ready Room -

"Well then Miss Brouillé, if you hope to be promoted at some point in the future--" Nikolai made sure he was at full attention as Wald began to turn. He wanted to show that he was very disciplined.

"But captain..." Gwen tried to protest, he knew that wouldn't get her anywhere.

Wald then face Nikolai and screamed in his face. "AH!" The Captain then lost his balance and as he regained his footing he yelled, "Tuzenbach, Don't do that!".

"Sir?" Nikolai questioned after Wald had yelled at him. "I didn't want to interrupt you."