Fiction Re-Format

Your own tale of two mecha.

Should Gundam Ragnarok be "de-Gundamized?"

Yes, getting rid of mobile suits would improve the story.
75%
No, getting rid of mobile suits would make it less interesting.
25%

Total votes: 12
Nagi

Fiction Re-Format

Okay, so as many of you know, a while ago I started a Gundam fiction titled Mobile Suit Gundam Ragnarok. I had a lot of fun working on it, I got a lot of praise, but things like class and work got in the way and I had to set it aside for the time being. Just recently, I decided I'd try to come back to it and start it back up, but as I was reading over it, I started to think. Does Gundam Ragnarok really need to be Gundam Ragnarok? Would the story be hurt at all if I swapped out mobile suits for, say, Five Star Stories-esque mecha or Macross-style (non-transforming) fighters and just made it an original piece? Would you be more or less inclined to read it if I made such a change? The plot and characters would remain more or less intact (certain distinctly Gundam traits like masked baddies and Island-3 colonies would be done away with), it would only involve a change in mecha and title.

And if you agree with the idea of de-Gundamizing Ragnarok, what kind of name would you come up with for the mecha to replace "mobile suit?" I'm kinda...very...stuck on that.
Mwulf

I voted "Yes" even though I don't really think it matters. What the MS are called really has very little bearing on the story. Things like characters, plot and dialogue have a greater impact. If anything, ommitting the Gundam title might make a few more... zealous gundam fans less inclined to read it, but other than that I don't think there'll be too much difference.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Wedge14

I voted yes too, Fanfiction is a restricting medium!! Creating your own fiction from your own ideas and whatnot garners alot more respect from me.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Folken Fanel

I voted "Yes". I think an original, non-Gundam story, would be a breath of fresh air.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
Nagi

Hm, far more unanimous response than I'd thought there'd be. Not that I mind, though, it's actually more helpful. I should note that it may be a while before any new chapters come up, because I'll want to go through and tweak everything before getting back to writing, but I'm definitely going to go forward with this project.

Thanks for the help.
Ascension

I would like to note here that while Island 3 types are very closely associated with UC, they are far from a Gundam-only creation and not nearly as cliched as the masked villian. While I think the "de-Gundamization" is a matter best left to your personal taste, I would urge you not to be overzealous in your endeavour. Certain aspects, such as Island 3 colonies, may be best left intact. Be sure to consider, especially on the colony issue, exactly what your other options are. You may even work to "de-Gundamize" the Island 3 types themselves (rather than replacing them completely) by describing those featured in your story more in the manner of O'Neill's original design than in the manner of their depiction in Gundam (a huge way to distance yourself from Gundam while retaining Island-3 type colonies would be to pair the colonies as they properly should be paired... like conjoined twins).

Although I'm a bit biased on this issue in particular because I love the Island Three design itself, my main concern is that you might "throw the baby out with the bathwater" so to speak. I know you said you didn't intend to change any plot points, but sometimes projects of this sort start out with one set of intentions and end up with an entirely different product... I simply urge a little caution, although I think it's a good idea.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Nagi

I'm aware that Island-3 colonies are not a Gundam-exclusive concept, but looking at it from the perspective of the people most likely to read this, a lot of those potential readers might and likely would make that type of connection regardless. Hence my caution there. Still, I will be very cautious in how I proceed from here with regard to making further changes.
Turinu

I voted yes as well, as reading originality is just as fun, if not more fun than reading a fanfic based on another series. I'm sure being who you are you'll be able to keep it on track as to how you originally intended despite the lack of a gundam element.

I'm sure if you ever need any help here when it comes to inspiration for originality, the people here will be glad to help. :o
Nagi

Hm, someone seems to have finally voted no. Mind if I ask why, whoever it was? :?
Nagato21

Srry that was me.
I voted no at first because I kind like the way the story was going, so modifying it while the suspense was still up would be kindda dissapointing.
But i understand your reason since I am a writter too (still practicing), the need to create something original and not be bound by restrains.
The important thing is to let your imagination take its course and do what you believe will be an entertaining story.
(To tell yu the truth every time I log on I check the fanfiction thread to see if Ragnarok new chapter has come up) :oops:
Anyway do what yu think is best and good luck
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
Nagi

The story is barely going to change much, though, if at all. It's only the technology that will be changing.
SolidSpidr

As a fellow writer of Gundam Fanfics I know what its like to set a new coarse, so to speak. It simply falls to being what you want. if you don't want a masked villan, take it out. I haven't read all of Ragonok but it seems good and its your choice. voted yes.
“The school of the undefeated East!”
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
“Look! The East is burning red!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!