Ryujin's Design Works (Updated Oct. 8, '22)

The place to share your artwork.
Ryujin

A couple more doodles:

Oai
Maeve O'hara

wing zero alpha wrote:The Koto looks like something Makoto Kobayashi (Zeta Gundam and Dragon's Heaven) after he looked over one of Yoji Shinkawa's mechs (Zone of the Enders and Metal Gear Solid), with the bulky armor/spindly frame merged with the real-futuristic design.
I think I was channeling Carnage Heart at the time...
Ryujin

Combat robot-thingie

Firaz
Ryujin

Just a little something...

Arif
Josh

Ryujin wrote:Just a little something...

Arif
I like the extended shoulders and think the stance its in is very neato. Good job.
assault gundam

You have some great designs and some so-so ones

great mechs:both Skeggox
peltast walker
and all the rest of the MWs in your index

so-so mechs:others
"The person who said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"
Ryujin

Thanks for the comments, guys--I've been doing stuff for other people instead, so my own work's gotten shabby of late.
unsc117

Wow, you have some cool designs, but like assault gundam said, some "meh" designs are in there too.

Just from a quick scan through your work, I can say I like the Kshatriya body armor, the Mastiff, and some others. Keep it up!
My mecha designs, check them out and critique!
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?t=5036
mostly original artwork, for frankens make me cry
Newest piece: powered exoskeleton
Ryujin

It's a bird with guns.

Keryl
Ryujin

Return to Anno Astra!

Grendel
Medved'
Zhanna Pavlichenko

Also, someone gifted me a dA subscription.
Haros_Pet_Kat

*discovers this thread for the first time*

Holy crap. These are incredible. Even if somebody says a design of yours is so-so, you draw and paint said so-so designs awesomely.'

I like your Koto, Oai, Keyrl, and Grendel designs, as well as Zhanno Pavlichenko.
Chris wrote:Haha...you jackanapes have all been fooled by my ninja editing skills!
OddlucK

Great stuff, Ryujin. Very, very well drawn/crafted.
Ryujin

Mucho thanks for the vote of confidence, guys.

It's been a long journey for me, and the path keeps getting harder, but I'm glad to know it's all starting to pay off.
Zeonic Glory

The Keryl sort of reminds me of the Anf :P . Great work!
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
OddlucK

Great work as always, Ryujin. Must say, I really like your aesthetic. Great job giving the walkers a WWII look, too. Keep it up!
VR7

Ryujin wrote:Zhanna Pavlichenko
Man, you draw better mecha and characters than me. :P I like how this turned out.
-noel
Ryujin

VR7 wrote:
Ryujin wrote:Zhanna Pavlichenko
Man, you draw better mecha and characters than me. :P I like how this turned out.
I somewhat cheated there; had a photo reference and a streak of stubbornness handy.
Ryujin

Joint project:

Interpretation of Freek's rough concept (In b4 Master Chief).

Revisiting and revising an old creation:

G-MACE

Anno Astra:
Character designs in progress:

Colonel (?)
Captain (?)
Cassandra Andros
A princess (?)

Mecha designs in progress:

Organic demisuit concept

In relation to the above pic, I'm playing with the concept of mecha that are more grown than built. Assuming that an organism was bio-engineered to be similar in performance & function to a machine of similar size (5-6 meters or so), what would be its pros & cons? Would it be sufficiently cost-effective to justify its existence? I've got some ideas on this but I'd like to hear your opinions on the subject.
Last edited by Ryujin on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScornMandark

Assuming performances are similar, it probably depends on whether or not the bio-mech is self-repairing, sentient, and/or symbiotic.

One of the biggest pro's of organisms is that maintainence is low due to not needing replacement parts, etc. However, organisms can get sick, and you can't just replace damaged parts (they need to heal).

What is it fueled by? Commonly available materials make for cheap fuel, but is it efficient enough? Real-type robots tend to have nuclear reactors of some kind, which are expensive to make, but run for quite some time. Horses eat grasses, which are cheap but don't fuel the beast for long.

Is it intelligent? It doesn't need to be very intelligent to dodge an attack that you didn't notice (if it did) but can it make it's own decisions? Move on it's own? Countermand your orders? Improve on your strategies?

How does the pilot interface? (related to above) Can the pilot jump in with control sticks and fly as normal? or does he need to meld with the organism to achieve maximum efficiency? (which can get messy for extraction)

All of these are questions that need to be answered not only for reference, but also relative to the mecha you are comparing it to. Ie: If the metal-mecha you are comparing it to has an AI system, then it's similar to an intelligent organism, whereas a non-AI model is at a distinct disadvantage. And so forth, but it's all relative to the models you are comparing it to.

Btw, I enjoy looking at your work, it is quite good :)
Ryujin

ScornMandark wrote:Assuming performances are similar, it probably depends on ........ And so forth, but it's all relative to the models you are comparing it to.
Are you running some sort of spyware program? It's virtually identical to what I wrote down. :lol:

Anyways, to address some technical points:

--The organism is, technically, a cyborg since a number of components, such as sensors, control interface, equipment hardpoints and operator's compartment, are implanted into it.

--Fuel is a 'mush' created by fermenting biomass in a special bacterial culture provided by the manufacturer. The organism itself can convert tissue into energy for limited emergency operation.

--Major repairs, if necessary, can be effected by surgical grafts; of course, a recovery period is required afterwards.

--Brain activity would probably be at a low, instinctual level, but matched with a rudimentary AI similar to the ones used in vehicles of more conventional construction. Basic operations, dodging threats, helps a lot in keeping balance & negotiating difficult terrain.

--Control interface is standard; he can jump in and immediately take the manual controls, or use a neural control interface for progressive levels of control, starting with sensory feedback down to fine motor control & eventually to a totally immersive state. Extraction won't be messy, as the setup is pretty standard. In this setting, the interface is standard for everything from powered armor to 10+ meter humanoid vehicles, not just this particular example.

--Also, if the organism has to breath, its operational range will be limited to planets with a certain range of atmosphere types, barring the use of special equipment.

All this is tentative, of course. Haven't developed the concepts further since I'm looking for outside input.