Gundam Igloo and the Hildorf tank thing

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Anonymous

Gundam Igloo and the Hildorf tank thing

With that big tank thing, the Hildorf in igloo, did they ever explain what or where it came from other than the big bag of random prototypes that they threw at the 603rd team? It looks soooo much like a prototype Xamel, but with treads, that there must be some kind of linking to the two? Have the people that made the gundam shows and bandai try to make any kinds of connections with the two? I know that the hildorf is getting a model of some type soon.... Has the booklet from that said anything? It seems like there are a lot of open-ended questions, but there's no way that the hildorf and xamel aren't related!
Phantomexe87

It's a poor man's Xamel. The main difference is that the Xamel uses the Dom's technology, and of course different weaponry. It also has some strong similarities with the Federation's Guntank.
Anonymous

ahhhh, also I know it uses those different kinds of shells for attacking the zakus, but the Xamel or Guntank, or any other kind of mobile......?suit? like it use variable kinds of rounds? I don't think I remember the guntank using anything special in the original gundam cartoon.
razgriz

what i'm wondering is how the hell the zeon got a tank that huge to be able to move that fast on treads no less. that thing could keep pace with a dom, not to mention all the side wheelies it was pulling. though it only lasted one engagement i think it might be safe to say that the hidolfir was the best TANK EVER!!!
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Rei Murasame

MoonlightFirefly wrote:ahhhh, also I know it uses those different kinds of shells for attacking the zakus, but the Xamel or Guntank, or any other kind of mobile......?suit? like it use variable kinds of rounds? I don't think I remember the guntank using anything special in the original gundam cartoon.
The Guntank, as far as I remember, was able to use both 180mm shells (30 round magazine) as well as switch into a beam cannon type of fire.

The difference in use would of course be that the shells would have to follow a trajectory, so they can be used for bombardment of distant targets, whereas the beam cannon behaviour goes only in a straight line, so it can only be used on targets it has directly lined up (for instance, the myriad of Dopp fighters that Hayato shot down).
"And I... should contemplate this change...
To ease the pain.
And I... should step out of the rain...
And turn away..."
Sabersonic

Well the only thing I can say about the Hildorf is that if that design predated the mobile suit, then Zeon was planning for an Earth Invasion for quite some time. Though knowing the timeline of the OYW from sunrise as of late, that little fact probably contradicts previous official notations of the timeline.
Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad

"If I had seen farther than others, it has been by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Issac Newton
Rei Murasame

Just to clarify the spelling here, it's 'Hidolfr'.
"And I... should contemplate this change...
To ease the pain.
And I... should step out of the rain...
And turn away..."
razgriz

i was the closest to spelling it right :P yay!!
(setsuna giggling)
Random Zaku Pilot

If you ask me the Hidolfr looks like the Rhinoceros from the dreamcast gundam game. But i found the Hidolfr cool and the Xamel is smaller and cannon can be stored on the back and the manipulators different so i say the Hidolfr is like the Rhinoceros.
Meh
"Kamille! Kamille!

razgriz wrote:what i'm wondering is how the hell the zeon got a tank that huge to be able to move that fast on treads no less. that thing could keep pace with a dom, not to mention all the side wheelies it was pulling. though it only lasted one engagement i think it might be safe to say that the hidolfir was the best TANK EVER!!!
Because it's in Igloo, or IGLOO, or igLoo, or whatever. Everything moves too fast. Have you seen the Salamis' evasion tactics?

Igloo had some really cool battles, but it got kind of ridiculous and repetitive. It was cool, but kind of unnecessary IMO, and the new designs were awful.
razgriz

the new designs may have been bad...eg the big rang when i saw that thing...geez i know bigger can be better and badder but that was just...umm...it was like the bigro had a magnet attached to itself and accidently flew past the remains of a gwazine. oh sorry ranting. but anyway even though the new designs were bad, it was nice to see the old venerable ones in cool cg.
(setsuna giggling)
Mwulf

I rather like the designs. In fact, the only reason I've heard for people not liking them is that they're not "pretty"...which strikes me as absurd.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Sabersonic

Mwulf wrote:I rather like the designs. In fact, the only reason I've heard for people not liking them is that they're not "pretty"...which strikes me as absurd.
I'm guessing mostly because of recent Gundam shows such as Destiny.

Though I think the greater draw is their greater realism.......-ist design.
Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad

"If I had seen farther than others, it has been by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Issac Newton
razgriz

war machines are never really pretty. just pretty freakin cool. nobody would call an abrams tank sexy but you cant tell me it rocks when you seeing flattening a car and unloading that bad*** 105mm cannon.
(setsuna giggling)
Mwulf

I love the Zudah; in all of UC it has, I believe, the most utalitarian design. Gotta love that. In terms of sheer coolness, I think it comes close (though it's still not equal to) the Kaempfer and Zaku II R2 high-mobility types.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
razgriz

you cant get more utilitarian than the zaku tank :lol:
(setsuna giggling)
Mwulf

How about... a Zeta Zaku Tank?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: