Tomino's thoughts on UC OVA's/Mangas

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mwulf

Zetsu wrote:Actually, I would say Tomino(or for that matter any Gundam director) does have better grounds for his opinions than you or me, whatever they may be; he's actually had experience in creating anime.
From a certain perspective, that's wrong. Tomino's opinion is EXTREMELY biased because of his posiition and career. It's the audience--the everydame observers and watchers of the various products--that are allowed the most objective opinions.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
lalahsghost

Now talking about what Tomino is saying about his own series or philosophies he has created in his series... I don't listen to him at all. The whole "OH NEWTYPES ARE A MISTAKE, A FLUKE AT BEST".... There's not a four letter word that I wouldn't love to use against that. My ideal vision of tomino's vision (say that ten times fast....) stops at either his philosophy on newtypes at the era of MSG novel, or maybe at zeta.... No further. After that, it just gets muddled up. How many newtypes were helping control Angel Halo? And at that time, they were rare or considered mistakes, IIRC, according to dialogue in the series. It's intended diameter is 120 Meters foor goodness sakes... and it's filled with newtypes? Wow, either every newtype in the galaxy is in there, or His philosophy vs what is displayed is a bit wonky...

Like I said, newtypes are there, more and more of them start to develop, and it isn't some bastardization thing... it's the future of mankind. Any tomino thoughts other than that go in one ear, and right out the other...
Phantomexe87

The "psykickers" weren't newtypes though, more like amplifiers for one particularly powerful newtype. It does seem like there are way too many newtypes in Victory even without the Angel Halo, but most Newtypes are fairly "weak", or at least no where near as powerful as Zanscare's Maria, or baby Karlmann. I man surprised Tomino has not yet introduced a newtyp scale for power comparison or something.
"Kamille! Kamille!

lalahsghost wrote:Now talking about what Tomino is saying about his own series or philosophies he has created in his series... I don't listen to him at all. The whole "OH NEWTYPES ARE A MISTAKE, A FLUKE AT BEST".... There's not a four letter word that I wouldn't love to use against that. My ideal vision of tomino's vision (say that ten times fast....) stops at either his philosophy on newtypes at the era of MSG novel, or maybe at zeta.... No further. After that, it just gets muddled up. How many newtypes were helping control Angel Halo? And at that time, they were rare or considered mistakes, IIRC, according to dialogue in the series. It's intended diameter is 120 Meters foor goodness sakes... and it's filled with newtypes? Wow, either every newtype in the galaxy is in there, or His philosophy vs what is displayed is a bit wonky...

Like I said, newtypes are there, more and more of them start to develop, and it isn't some bastardization thing... it's the future of mankind. Any tomino thoughts other than that go in one ear, and right out the other...
As Phantom said, the Psychikers themselves weren't Newtypes, but rather average Zanscare (specifically Queen Maria) devotees, and maybe POWs. They were average people connected to Angel Halo. Through that, one Newtype at its center (Maria or Shakti) used their power to lull the Earth's population into a baby-like state. It's more similar to how Camille used the "power" of Emma, etc. at the end of Zeta to power the biosensor whatever BS system the Zeta had. Newtypes WERE extremely rare in the Victory era: that's mostly why Shakti is so valuable to both sides.

I don't see how his theories waver at all. Over time, after only being used as war machines for generations, Newtypes begin to lose their influence in society and instead become more of a myth. Hell, people don't even throw around the word much, if at all, as you can see in F91 and V; instead, people who have better reflexes, etc. make better soldiers/pilots. I'm sure there are everyday people who are Newtypes but are not recruited to fight.
ShadowCell

Zetsu wrote:Actually, I would say Tomino(or for that matter any Gundam director) does have better grounds for his opinions than you or me, whatever they may be; he's actually had experience in creating anime. He knows what's it like to work under pressure from your company(or god forbid toy agencies) and has actual insight in working on a series. I'd say his insight into certain aspects would give a better understanding of the series in question or Gundam as a whole.
That's his opinion on the process of making anime, which is something that everyone who makes anime has to go through at any rate, no matter what anime they're making. It means nothing towards my judging the finished product. And since he did not take any significant part in actually creating the show in question--SEED, for example--he is looking at the show as an outsider, a viewer like you and me. He may know what it's like to make anime, but why should that make his opinion more valid than mine, when both of us are judging the quality of the product? He had no part in making it; I had no part in making it; therefore, neither of us can say what went on in the back rooms, because neither of us were there, because neither of us had a role in making it. Tomino might be able to make educated guesses where I can't, but those are--again--just his opinions.