Cricket World Cup

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Melchior

Cricket World Cup

Now I realise that this forum is predominantly American, and so most of you aren't interested in Cricket, but this thread is designed for any Cricket fans to discuss the ongoing world cup.

There were some surprising results yesterday. Bangladesh beat India for one. Bangladesh might just be the come from nowhere team of this World Cup. Not only have they defeated India, but in a warm-up game they also beat New Zealand (lol, and I'm from NZ, so I wasn't overly impressed). Meanwhile, Ireland defeated Pakistan, effectively knocking them out of the Cup. Ireland is now a more or less a shoe in for the Super 8 (thanks partly to their draw with Zimbabwe), which is amazing for a 2nd division nation to pull off.

In 12 hours or so, Australia takes on the Netherlands while England plays Canada. These results shouldn't be too hard to predict, but then again if Ireland can beat Pakistan anything can happen!

Oh, and I couldn't finish without at least mentioning New Zealand's win over England. Go the Kiwi's!
Nightwing03

Australia for the win! :P
♣♦♠♥
Rei Murasame

@Melchior: They don't know what they're missing. ~.^

This cup has barely even started, and already I'm dreading what may happen next.

Bangladesh beating India after India destroyed the West Indies just days previously, is like some kind of twilight-zone event. And Ireland beating Pakistan is just baffling - I would never have expected that. (no offence to the Irish.)

All I can say, is England had better not run into problems with Canada today. They're not underestimating them it seems:
England captain Michael Vaughan insisted there was no question of giving everyone a game against minnows Canada on Monday morning just for the sake of it, after his side's World Cup campaign got off to a losing start with a six-wicket defeat against New Zealand.

England and New Zealand are favourites to qualify from a group also featuring Kenya.

Assuming both sides go through, New Zealand will now carry forward two points into the second phase, Super Eight stage.

Vaughan's men were held to a modest 7 for 209, which owed much to an unbroken stand of 71 between Paul Nixon (42 not out) and Liam Plunkett (29 not out) after a middle order collapse saw England slump from 3 for 133 to 7 for 138.

In reply, New Zealand, who wobbled at 3 for 19, finished on 4 for 210 with Scott Styris (87 not out) and Jacob Oram (63 not out).

Even though Canada went down to a seven wicket thrashing by Kenya, Vaughan said England could not afford to take them lightly.

"It's a good thing we play again so soon. Bodies might be a little bit tired but it's sometimes the best thing to get back on the horse and play," said Vaughan.

"We know the conditions here now. We just need to make sure we improve our performance and make sure we come out with a victory.

"We'll certainly be picking what we feel is the best XI to beat Canada. There'll be no thought of playing players just to get practice. We need to win the game and make sure we get our World Cup campaign off and running."

But despite the defeat, the Vaughan insisted it was too soon to write off England's chances.

"How significant this is only time will tell. It's not a great start and we have to make sure we win the next two games to get into the Super Eights. But it's certainly not the end of our tournament by a long way."

-AFP
"And I... should contemplate this change...
To ease the pain.
And I... should step out of the rain...
And turn away..."
silencer.001

South Africa FTW, my adopted country, would normally be scotland for other events, but cricket, South Africa

in there opening match, Herschelle Gibbs, one over, 6 balls, 6 sixes, only South Africa :D
Rei Murasame

silencer.001 wrote:South Africa FTW, my adopted country, would normally be scotland for other events, but cricket, South Africa

in there opening match, Herschelle Gibbs, one over, 6 balls, 6 sixes, only South Africa :D
Wow. That was against who? And are there any clips of that? Also, what's your connection to South Africa (if you don't mind me asking)?
To ease the pain.
And turn away..."
silencer.001

Connection to South Africa, simple, i had lived there for five years, and finished my schooling there last year, and now i am in Qatar working

as for clips, i have got no idea, haven't been able to watch it, but it was in the local paper, so that is how i found out

and against who, netherlands, so not the best side, as South Africa beat them by something around 220 runs
Rei Murasame

silencer.001 wrote:Connection to South Africa, simple, i had lived there for five years, and finished my schooling there last year, and now i am in Qatar working

as for clips, i have got no idea, haven't been able to watch it, but it was in the local paper, so that is how i found out

and against who, netherlands, so not the best side, as South Africa beat them by something around 220 runs
Oh, sweet then, you're quite a world traveller, and Qatar seems like a pretty good country to be in, lots of natural resources.
To ease the pain.
And turn away..."
silencer.001

That i am :D

and onto Cricket World Cup News

Big Shock, Pakistan has been knocked out of the Competition, but not by one of the main teams, oh-no, but by Ireland, i just can't believe it, and it was on St. Patrick's day :D
Rei Murasame

Yeah, I suppose Ireland had a bit of a power boost because it was their special day? >.>

I was hoping to see some kind of Pakistan vs. India showdown later on, but I guess that won't be happening now...
To ease the pain.
And turn away..."
silencer.001

I am hoping for a South Africa vs Australia cup final

and i also hope that if it does happen, it will be another match like the 438game last year :D

that is my hopes at least

who do you guys want to play each other for the finals?
Melchior

Well, obviously I want New Zealand to make the final, and to be honest I wouldn't care who we play, but it would nice to take on our rivals Australia.

The West Indies have an advantage playing at home, so we'll see how much that benefits them, but I must say I'm a little skeptical fo the pitches. The only big scores we've seen have been when top teams liek Austalia take on weak teams like Scotland. When more evenly matched teams go head to head the scores seem to be much smaller. I've been surprised how many teams don't make it to 200.
silencer.001

Results From yesterdays games:

England Vs Canada
ICC Cricket World Cup Official Website wrote:Match Details
England: 279/6 (50.0) R/R: 5.58
Canada: 228/7 (50.0) R/R: 4.56

End of play
England beat Canada by 51 runs
Man of the Match: Paul Collingwood
Australia Vs Netherlands
ICC Cricket World Cup Official Website wrote:Match Details
Australia: 358/5 (50.0)R/R: 7.16
Netherlands: 129/10 (26.5)R/R: 4.81

End of play
Australia beat Netherlands by 229 runs
Man of the Match: Brad Hodge
Ryujin

silencer.001 wrote:That i am :D

and onto Cricket World Cup News

Big Shock, Pakistan has been knocked out of the Competition, but not by one of the main teams, oh-no, but by Ireland, i just can't believe it, and it was on St. Patrick's day :D
It's an even bigger shock & tragedy that Bob Woolmer, Pakistan's head coach, died several hours later...
Melchior

I couldn't believe it either! My friend told me it was a heart attack. Can anyone confirm? Apparently there was blood everywhere...so its strange.

In completely unrelated news, and I know this isn't even World Cup, but my indoor Cricket team just thrashed our opponents. We batted first and scored 147, they only managed to score 16. I actually felt bad for them. Then again, it didn't make me wanna slow my bowling down.