Tomino's thoughts on UC OVA's/Mangas

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
J-Lead

Tomino's thoughts on UC OVA's/Mangas

In an interview with Yoshiyuki Tomino, he was asked what he thought about the Alternate universes of Gundam, to which he replied, "No idea, never watched any of them." I read that awhile ago and it brought another question to mind; What does Tomino think about OVA's like 08th MS Team, 0080, and 0083? What about mangas like Blue Destiny and Lost War chronicles? Does he look at them as nice add-ons that help expand the events in the timeline in a positive way, or does he dislike the work of other directors/writers on Universal Century?
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Phantomexe87

He at least acknowledged 0080, as it is featured in Turn a Gundam.
lalahsghost

*Admin Note* Now remember guys, we're looking for sources of information, not "I heard that my fourth cousin was in Chicago with Tomino, and overheard him and Okawara talking about how to destroy Seed Destiny..."

Basically, unless you can find a reliable quote of it, or you've talked to Tomino yourself, it is only speculation, and be sure to let others know that it is merely speculation.

(Wasn't directed toward you, phantomexe~)
wing zero alpha

There was also talk of Tomino being a fan of Gundam Wing when it was around, although going by LG's post those are just rumors. But then GW was featured in Turn A, not to mention Corin seeing the Wing Zero Kai, so there might be something there.
"Kamille! Kamille!

But just the same, we know that 99% of what Tomino is reported as saying either was never said in the first place, was never his opinion to begin with, was said just to produce a reaction, or is changed retrospectively.
Last edited by "Kamille! Kamille! on Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
wing zero alpha

[quote=""Kamille! Kamille!"]But just the same, we know that 99% of what Tomino is reported as saying either was never his opinion to begin with, was said just to produce a reaction, or is changed retrospectively.[/quote]

I know, that's why I'm going with the Turn A footage for reference.
ShadowCell

[quote=""Kamille! Kamille!"]But just the same, we know that 99% of what Tomino is reported as saying either was never his opinion to begin with, was said just to produce a reaction, or is changed retrospectively.[/quote]

And on that note, I don't want to see anyone going off on tangents about how Ayatollah Tomino has issued a fatwa declaring jihad against the infidel Cosmic Era fans, and all those who martyr themselves in holy war against the invaders will receive 72 GM gunpla kits in paradise.

Don't take what Tomino says too seriously and start fighting. Capisce?
Rei Murasame

lalahsghost wrote:*Admin Note* Now remember guys, we're looking for sources of information, not "I heard that my fourth cousin was in Chicago with Tomino, and overheard him and Okawara talking about how to destroy Seed Destiny..."

Basically, unless you can find a reliable quote of it, or you've talked to Tomino yourself, it is only speculation, and be sure to let others know that it is merely speculation.
Ah, the pre-emptive strike. I was going to make mischief, but I guess I'll be good for now.

Link

Tomino: "Part of it is that, like you said, I don't really see a brighter future. But I also think that, in fiction, there wouldn't be supermen like Newtypes. So I began not using that word anymore. As I became older, I began feeling that humanity all used to be Newtypes. Everyone was a Newtype. Until the third day after birth, we were all Newtypes. Because of society and education, we then start to stop being a Newtype. But since we all had that experience, perhaps we can become Newtypes again in the future. So work hard, everyone!"

Amazing quote. I don't know where his influences come from, but there's certainly something familiar there...

Your link was streaching the page there. I modified the link. - Wingnut
"And I... should contemplate this change...
To ease the pain.
And I... should step out of the rain...
And turn away..."
wing zero alpha

ShadowCell wrote:And on that note, I don't want to see anyone going off on tangents about how Ayatollah Tomino has issued a fatwa declaring jihad against the infidel Cosmic Era fans, and all those who martyr themselves in holy war against the invaders will receive 72 GM gunpla kits in paradise.
76, you forgot the GM Striker's being added to Heaven's wish list. And with that I return to the subject...
Tomino: "Part of it is that, like you said, I don't really see a brighter future. But I also think that, in fiction, there wouldn't be supermen like Newtypes. So I began not using that word anymore. As I became older, I began feeling that humanity all used to be Newtypes. Everyone was a Newtype. Until the third day after birth, we were all Newtypes. Because of society and education, we then start to stop being a Newtype. But since we all had that experience, perhaps we can become Newtypes again in the future. So work hard, everyone!"

Amazing quote. I don't know where his influences come from, but there's certainly something familiar there...
Makes me think of the premise of Peter Pan if anything.
J-Lead

wing zero alpha wrote:There was also talk of Tomino being a fan of Gundam Wing when it was around, although going by LG's post those are just rumors. But then GW was featured in Turn A, not to mention Corin seeing the Wing Zero Kai, so there might be something there.
I'm not so sure. In an interview posted at Gunota, (I can't friggin find it right now,) he was asked what he thought about alternate universes like Wing and SEED (I'm guessing that those are the exact words of the interviewer,) and he replied, "I don't really have an opinion of them, as I've never actually took the time to watch them."
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
wing zero alpha

J-Lead wrote:I'm not so sure. In an interview posted at Gunota, (I can't friggin find it right now,) he was asked what he thought about alternate universes like Wing and SEED (I'm guessing that those are the exact words of the interviewer,) and he replied, "I don't really have an opinion of them, as I've never actually took the time to watch them."
He helped work on SEED, even if it was a correspondant job, so one would think he'd have some opinion on it. Besides, I think it's Yas that said something like that.
Rei Murasame

ShadowCell wrote:And on that note, I don't want to see anyone going off on tangents about how Ayatollah Tomino has issued a fatwa declaring jihad against the infidel Cosmic Era fans, and all those who martyr themselves in holy war against the invaders will receive 72 GM gunpla kits in paradise.
Hmm, that's strange, I thought they were supposed to be Gelgoogs...

Wait! You're not from that other faction of Tomino-ists that believes that General Revil will someday return and bring judgement upon us all, right? Because if so, then I also declare jihad on you, making this a civil war plus the war against the infidels! o.o

(You're the 'Shia' and I'm the 'Sunni', right? Or have I got these doctrines backwards/wrong?)

EDIT:
Yes, it's a bit wonky, I revised the facts, and realised I should've accused you of thinking that Tomino is the hidden Imam, not Revil, for it to work out - so I failed. Carry on.
"And I... should contemplate this change...
To ease the pain.
And I... should step out of the rain...
And turn away..."
AmuroNT1

I'm guessing Tomino saying he's never seen the AUs is simply the "diplomatic" answer; IE, he doesn't want to say he liked or disliked them because he knows the kind of ****storm that will brew up if he says anything concrete.

Someone once told me that in an interview shortly post-Turn A, Tomino said there were aspects of G, W, and X that he really enjoyed; of course, this person has given me lots of shoddy information in the past, so grain of salt.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
lalahsghost

The only things I can add to this that are Tomino fact are:

Regarding Zeta: When remaking Zeta for the movies, his wife had major influence on the re-production, since he stated that she thought Original Zeta was very depressing/confusing.

Regarding 0079: When asked about Gundam, Tomino stated that it was a serious sci-fi war drama with real mecha. When the Gundam Hammer was discussed, he said "It's just a giant robot anime" 8)
Zeta Gelgoog

I think what Tomino thinks about the newer series is a moot point. I've heard repeatidly from folks about his dislike of a lot of his own work. In the end I could care less, its not different then hearing, for example, what Bobby Cox says about the Red Sox this season. Its intersting but it doesn't have a lot of bearing on things. You can start throwing rocks now.

Oh and I would convert for 70 odd Gelgoog kits.
This Space For Rent.
Nagi

Personally, I don't care much for what Tomino thinks of other Gundam series aside from his own because it has no bearing on my enjoyment of those series. I never have, and never will understand the need of many of the more zealous "old school" Gundam fans to dogmatically adopt Tomino's opinions (or their skewed, warped interpretation of his opinions) for themselves and arrogantly go around bemoaning non-Tomino Gundam simply because "it's not his and he hates it." I'd like to have a mind of my own about these sort of things, somewhat distanced from blind, brainless Tomino worship and ridiculously false preaching of what "Tomino sez." Therefore, it's no real concern of mine what he thinks, just like it's of little concern to me what Fukuda or Ikeda or Imanishi think of other Gundam titles outside of their own. So Tomino created Gundam, that doesn't necessarily mean he always infallably knows what's best for the franchise, and it doesn't necessarily mean his version is always the best. It was just the first, as prolific and inspirational to future generations of Japanese storytellers as it was.

Probably the reason this is the only Gundam community I've been able to stick around at for more than a couple months. One of the only places that actually tries to put a cap on the Tomino zealotry and promote such independent thought among its users.
Phantomexe87

Tomino created gundam, so I definately find his opinion the most important. So while I enjoy some of the series which he had no hand in (0080, 08th MS Team) I only consider his works as the "real gundam". All Gundam Seed is, is a somewhat altered retelling of MSG, and in GSD, Zeta. Most other AU Gundam series lack originality, with the exception of Gundam X maybe.
ShadowCell

I'll take Tomino's opinion on a slightly higher pedestal when it's his own work he's commenting on. He made it, he would know better than all of us how it actually turned out, why it turned out that way, how it was supposed to turn out, how he feels about it, etc. But on the work he didn't make or help make in any significant way? His opinion is no more valid or invalid than yours or mine.

As for what's "real Gundam"...none of it is real. They're all shows about giant robots going 'splodey and people crying and such, they've all been co-opted by their own mecha merchandise regardless of any quality to the writing and characters, so none is "more Gundam" or "less Gundam" than the other.

Sometimes we need to be reminded of that, I guess.
Nagi

ShadowCell wrote:I'll take Tomino's opinion on a slightly higher pedestal when it's his own work he's commenting on. He made it, he would know better than all of us how it actually turned out, why it turned out that way, how it was supposed to turn out, how he feels about it, etc. But on the work he didn't make or help make in any significant way? His opinion is no more valid or invalid than yours or mine.
Exactly. If it's his own work that he himself created, I'll listen to what he has to say about how they came to be because Zeta, Turn-A, Mobile Suit Gundam, etc. all flowed out of his own head. Same as if Fukuda has something to say about SEED, or Ikeda has something to say about Wing. But I have absolutely zero interest in hearing what Fukuda has to say about G Gundam, or what Ikeda has to say about Char's Counterattack, or what Tomino has to say about SEED, because it's not going to be ground-level insight about how they came to be the way they were (as with the creators talking about their own shows), it's just idle opinion no greater ot lesser than our own. I liked SEED. I liked G Gundam. I liked Char's Counterattack. I don't need any of the above men to dictate my opinions for me, which is one of the big things that really irks me about the Gundam fandom at large sometimes (much of which just loves to follow this largely imaginary dogma of "Tomino sez, therefore we sez").
Zetsu

Actually, I would say Tomino(or for that matter any Gundam director) does have better grounds for his opinions than you or me, whatever they may be; he's actually had experience in creating anime. He knows what's it like to work under pressure from your company(or god forbid toy agencies) and has actual insight in working on a series. I'd say his insight into certain aspects would give a better understanding of the series in question or Gundam as a whole. However, this doesn't mean one should take these opinions or statements as the word of God: you shouldn't dismiss a series solely on the views of another, whoever they may be. Going on about how "Tomino said something bad about it, so I can't enjoy it myself!" is not a smart way to go about life.
tl;dr: Listen to what people have to say, then formulate your own opinion based on the subject matter in question, and the thoughts and views of the person himself.