The Before-Time, The Long-Long-Ago

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
swordoath

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it seemed awkward. I'm currently 21; if I was to refer to something that happened eight or nine years before I was born, I personally would not use "long ago." Using something like "I heard about (x event) that happened a few years before I was born" seems to flow a little nicer.

In the case of Leahlee, I can only see her referring to the RX-78-2 in the way she spoke. If that's the case, then using the plural "Gundams" makes it even more awkward.
Looking to trade Gundam War cards (US) -- looking for Brown especially. I have a BIG collection including URs and promos. PM me for details!
"Kamille! Kamille!

Chris wrote:[quote=""Kamille! Kamille!"]I've always found the whole "canon/not" argument really annoying. Believe in what you want to believe in. If you don't want to consider 0083 canon, then don't. Whatever makes it more enjoyable for you.
No, you can't say 'believe whatever you want." There has to be a line somewhere. I can understand manga/novels/games being up to question, but for the sake of discussion here, denying the canonicity of anime will create problems. This issue with 0083 already popped up and has taken this thread off topic. In any discussion anywhere, someone could gum it all up with "well I only think of the original series as canon" or whatnot. It doesn't matter what anyone personally thinks or likes/doesn't like about a show - you cannot deny that animated works are canon.[/quote]

Well yeah, it's obvious that Tomino's works and the "main" stories are going to be taken as canon. I was referring to side stories, whether they be manga or animated, because either way, they're still side stories and were fit retroactively into the timeline. If what you say is true, then what do you do about the Zeta movies? They're animated works, yet they directly conflict other animated works. So therefore not all animated works should be taken as canon, because it's impossible to do so, which is why what you say is off base. I don't want to further derail the topic though.
Wingnut

Phantomexe87 wrote:I'm not trying to start some big controversy, but I see the OVAs as just fun little side stories, which do not pertain to the actual story. Like Dragon Ball GT to Dragon Ball Z, if you consider them canon, great, if not, fine. 0080 at least gets a mention of sorts in Turn A Gundam, so I consider that one semi-canon. But that's me.
Then you had better change you perceptions really quick, bacuse they are ALL CANON weither you like to think so or not. That is the bottom line on all the animated works save for the 5 minute Astray shorts and of course the Evolve series. This is not open for debate.
There will also be no further mention of this issue in this thread. If someone does bring it up again, they will recieve an automatic warning.
Back to the original topic.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Mwulf

^--hands Wingnut giant gold medal for being the most prolific enforcer of Netiquette here.

Well, it's actually mostly aluminium with gold plating... but trust me, it looks very spiffy!

=^.^=

The weirdest thing about Leahlee's comments is that thirty years later pretty much ALL the Zanscare folks know the name "gundam". I don't know how famous the exploits of F91 and Crossbone were, but I don't think they were ~that~ famous.

Of course, there's also the fact that in Victory gundams seem to be associated with the "resistance" which makes me think of stuff like Zeta, ZZ, CCA, F91 and Crossbone where Gundams were sybolic of a small force trying to fight a much larger and much more powerful force. The original gundam doesn't jive with that so much... so, in summary: it's odd.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
mcred23

Mwulf wrote:The weirdest thing about Leahlee's comments is that thirty years later pretty much ALL the Zanscare folks know the name "gundam". I don't know how famous the exploits of F91 and Crossbone were, but I don't think they were ~that~ famous.
Well, the time between CCA and F91 was fairly peaceful, which would explain why the people in F91 really don't know about Gundams. The same isn't true of the period between F91 and Victory Gundam, between the Jovian invasion of Earth and the events of Crossbone and whatnot.

And then, of course, you have the League Militaire putting the Victory Gundams into a limited mass production, so the other side probably knew something about the name...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Duo

Mwulf wrote: Of course, there's also the fact that in Victory gundams seem to be associated with the "resistance" which makes me think of stuff like Zeta, ZZ, CCA, F91 and Crossbone where Gundams were sybolic of a small force trying to fight a much larger and much more powerful force. The original gundam doesn't jive with that so much... so, in summary: it's odd.

Ehhh.. I dunno... By the time that the original series started, I was under the impression that the Federation was fighting a lost war... And so the White Base and Amauro in the Gundam were the 'resistance' and eventually turned the tide of the war in favor of the Federation.

Now back to the main topic: If someone asked me if I remembered something in town that had been knocked down/destoryed when I was REALLY young, then sure I'd say A long time ago when I was -age- I barely remember it. I'm 23 now, and the age of 6 really does seem like a long time ago, though it's just ablink of an eye. Same thing goes for something that had been gone before I was born, but had heard about it a li'l bit.
"TAG ALONG ON MY JOURNEY INTO HELL!"
"Momma said real men don't cry..."
"The God of Death is Back from Hell!"
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
Mwulf

But in the course of human history that's barely a blink.

As for the OYW... when MSG started, the war was at a stalemate. The Zekes had the superior technology, but the Feddies had WAAAAAAY more people and resources. Neither side could gain a clear advantage. MSG starts with the Gundam... and very soon thereafter the war's advantage turning to the feddies as Zeon gradually collapses.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)