UC: Beam rifle vs. Mega Particle Cannon

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Wingnut

It's in Japanese, but I found this pic in the MS illustrated 2003 book that shows the guts of the MPC (left) and a beam rifle (right).
Even partial a translation here would be most helpful to this discussion. However even without one, you can still see some of the more obvious differences between the two weapons.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Akuma_Blade

How I can calculate a unit's without-a-stand-by full attack time to one target by beam weapons or beam rifles?
Wingnut

Akuma_Blade wrote:How I can calculate a unit's without-a-stand-by full attack time to one target by beam weapons or beam rifles?
What are you talking about and how does it relate to this thread?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
flamingtroll

Wingnut wrote:It's in Japanese, but I found this pic in the MS illustrated 2003 book that shows the guts of the MPC (left) and a beam rifle (right).
Even partial a translation here would be most helpful to this discussion. However even without one, you can still see some of the more obvious differences between the two weapons.
THe side paragraph basically says what gundam offical says. About how e-cap allow MS size beam weapons to be used etc.

As for the diagrams they dont' really say much:

for the cannon from left to right the tags are the following

veering ring
guideline
first acceleration ring
first constriction ring
second acceleration ring
second constriction ring
third acceleration ring
third constriction ring
mega partcile generation device

and the beam rifle pretty much says the same things
guideline
first acceleration ring
first constriction ring
second acceleration ring
second constriction ring
third acceleration ring
third constriction ring
energy-cap unit
mega partcile generation device
Ryujin

Mark mentioned something about this in another thread (or another forum, I forgot).

The rings are small I-field generators that help to concentrate & accelerate the mega-particles in a manner somewhat like an EM coilgun.

I presume that this is one of the reasons why the beam spraygun, with its stubby barrel, isn't as effective as a beam rifle.
J-Lead

In the MSG novels, the Beam Spray Gun is actually more powerful than the Gundam's Beam rifle at close range.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Ryujin

J-Lead wrote:In the MSG novels, the Beam Spray Gun is actually more powerful than the Gundam's Beam rifle at close range.
I think it's because the beam isn't as 'tight', leading to greater peripheral damage at close range since the stray megaparticles still pack a lot of punch so soon after leaving the barrel. It's somewhat analogous to a sawed-off shotgun firing buckshot at close range as compared to a full-length shotgun firing rifled slugs.