Animals in Gundam

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Phantomexe87

Animals in Gundam

Due to most Gundams being set, or mostly set in space you rarely see animals much. However, recently I have been watching Victory Gundam, and it never ceases to amaze me how smart that dog the League has. Have dogs gotten smarter or evolved in UC? Or is he just so smart for plot convinence?
Mwulf

It's plot. Evolution, despite being a misnomer, theoretically takes thousands and thousands of years to occur.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
ORegan

maybe it was the end of that thousands of years and the dogs brain just got bigger so they can learn how to sit and roll over better
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
codename:v

Does a Haro counted as animal?
mcred23

No. Haro is a robot toy built by Amuro (And later mass produced). Not a single thing animal about him...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
ORegan

...you couldn't tell it was a robot? *slaps self*

but didn't the have newtype monkies in a manga or comic book?
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
mcred23

Yeah, Crossbone: Skull Heart had Zeon testing Newtype Monkey's with the MS-06MS Barbus, which took crap flinging to a whole new level! :P

Although not in UC, you also have those Newtype Dolphins from Gundam X. I think that may be the only other case where animals really play a major role in Gundam (Unless you count that little baby monkey we see during the attack on Zeta, and Kamille watches it get blown up :shock: ).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
ORegan

Unit type: monkey use special mobile suit
Armament: Gelgoog beam rifle x 4
Notes: Continuing Crossbone Gundam's tradition of bizarre mobile suits is this machine, a heavily modified MS-06F Zaku II piloted by Newtype monkeys.
now why would they think of giving monkey's giant robots? they're not that smart. they'd just use it to steal bananas or something stupid like that
Haros_Pet_Kat

They would obviously use it to get revenge on the Earth Federation for those monkeys that died in Jaburo during the AEUG attack.
Magnus

Mwulf wrote:It's plot. Evolution, despite being a misnomer, theoretically takes thousands and thousands of years to occur.
I understand the theory but as far as Gundam goes the emergence of Newtypes strikes me as the same thing as evolution. Only in outer space and under the intense pressure of war do Newtypes seem to come forth. Seems to me Gundam has the same loophole on evolution as, say, X-Men: that under certain rare conditions evolution is accelerated in individuals.

As far as a lack of pets in UC, well, when you're overpopulated you gotta get your protein somehow. :D Take it from Amuro you can always built your own pet later. "Amuro, genki ka?"
Last edited by Magnus on Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
razgriz

accelerated evolution is one thing, FORCED evolution is another and that can usually lead to a much uglier situation, probably why we arent cloning animals and people left and right nowadays even though the technology is feasible.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Animals in Gundam? You mean like those two monkeys that Tomino had mercilessly slaughtered on-screen in the AEUG's attack on Jaburo in Zeta? lol

As for being on-topic, if you look around on the net and on the news sometimes, you can find a few smart dogs like Flanders here and there.
codename:v

Speaking of animals, there are birds in the skies of each colonies. Do their brains exceed the size of a peanut as well?
I bet you can find more animals in Turn A, after all, Loren used to worked at a farm.
Rei Murasame

Magnus wrote:I understand the theory but as far as Gundam goes the emergence of Newtypes strikes me as the same thing as evolution.
However, 'evolution', in that sense of the word, implies that you're entering a state that had not been entered by humanity before. In the case of newtypes this would make no sense, since humans have been able to awaken to that ability/understanding in ages long before that which Gundam is set in.

I think that is the reason that people are described as 'awakening' to their newtype abilities (and not evolving into them), is because the possibility exists/existed for everyone. Certain experiences do cause it to become more likely to happen, but that's not evolution, that's just learning to use the potential (note that this word is used in Gundam as well) that already existed.

To put it simply, when a child becomes able to self-reflect (or should we say, 'becomes aware of its ability to self-reflect'? Same thing in the end), it's only then that it can begin to desire things for abstract reasons, and perform actions with that as it's power source. We certainly wouldn't call that 'further evolution', since from the very beginning, humans had that. I think the theory of 'newtypes' can be compared to this.
"And I... should contemplate this change...
To ease the pain.
And I... should step out of the rain...
And turn away..."
solid snake

Didn't Turn A have dolphin's?
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
ShadowCell

That was Gundam X.

Newtype dolphins.
Dark Duel

The BABUs are actually piloted, if the image I've seen are any indication, by chimpanzees, which are apes, not monkeys.

And Gundam X didn't have Newtype Dolphins, it had a Newtype Dolphin. Just the white one - the others were regular dolphins.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
ShadowCell

Yeah. Normal dolphins, being mind-controlled by the white one then. Sure.

The white one always seems to cause trouble.

I still await Zeon's introduction of sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!
Wingnut

ShadowCell wrote:Yeah. Normal dolphins, being mind-controlled by the white one then. Sure.

The white one always seems to cause trouble.

I still await Zeon's introduction of sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!
So like this only underwater then right? It's got the beam coming out of its mouth, but it still gives the same effect.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Magnus

What is that from? Zion, huh?