What's this I've heard about...?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Charismatic Enigma

What's this I've heard about...?

What's all this I've heard about Tomino having a disagreement with studio executives about the Gundam Hammer in the original MSG?
"Aaahh!"-The last words of many a mobile suit pilot.
Chris
Administrator

There are plenty of disagreements that Tomino had with Clover, the long defunct sponsor of MSG and original manufacturer of toys before Bandai. Tomino wanted the Gundam to be all white like a Stormtrooper, but Clover thought that wouldn't make for an attractive toy. Clover insisted on adding a bunch of super robot-type junk to the series, which is why we have the G-Fighter and the crazy combining it does to form G-Sky, G-Bull, etc. I don't recall hearing about the Gundam Hammer specifically, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a contentious issue as well.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
kupoartist

Strange then, that he revived it for Turn-A. Perhaps he simply had a change of heart?
Haros_Pet_Kat

Tomino wanted the Gundam to be all white like a Stormtrooper
I love Tomino.

But yeah. If the disagreement is over whether to ditch the hammer completely, then I am guessing Tomino made the hammer suck really badly to get back at them.

It's a shame too. I saw the clip where the Gundam Hammer was used in Turn A and it was very awesome. *CRUNCH!*
Dark Duel

Haros_Pet_Kat wrote:
Tomino wanted the Gundam to be all white like a Stormtrooper
I love Tomino.
Agreed. All-white Gundam = WIN. (Guess that's why I love the G3 :D )
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
ORegan

but the G3 is an all greyish gundam
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Dark Duel

I know, but it's the closest thing we have to the Gundam in all-white.
Not counting Stargazer, which looks silly, and Unicorn, which reminds me of a white R-Gun with a horn. (Exerts self-control to not make pervy joke)
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
swordoath

I had always assumed that the "all-white" Gundam that Tomino wanted was converted into the rollout colors of the RX-78-2. Although it has a bit of red on it as well ... Or was that just an afterthought?
Looking to trade Gundam War cards (US) -- looking for Brown especially. I have a BIG collection including URs and promos. PM me for details!
Mwulf

I thought roll-out was solid (completely) white? Unless there's some red in the face, but the only place I've seen it is Project Pegasus.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
swordoath

Here's the Rollout colors.

The red's actually pretty comparable to the amount that shows up on the final color shecme, though the patterning is different.
Looking to trade Gundam War cards (US) -- looking for Brown especially. I have a BIG collection including URs and promos. PM me for details!
Paul McCartney Jr

Well, the SEED gundams turn white when their phase shift goes away
RGM-79G GM Command

They turn grey IIRC, not white.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!
Haros_Pet_Kat

And an ugly, extremely unnatural looking gray at that, too.
Paul McCartney Jr

Look at Aile Strike w/o phase shift. except for whats in shadow, its plain white

and can you tell me what IIRC means? I dont speak MSN
RGM-79G GM Command

It means "If I Remember Correctly". Every time I saw a SEED Gundam with the phase shift off they were grey, and at what time do you mean? The phase shift went down on that thing more than once if I it remember right.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
Paul McCartney Jr

Whatever, this isnt worth debating, its partially opinion and partially your TV quality
RGM-79G GM Command

Yeah it has to be my tv that is the problem. :roll: Go look at the review of Gundam SEED episode one here at MAHQ, one of the two pictures is Duel without the phase shift and it is clearly gray, now it is more than one shade of grey some are lighter and some are darker but it is definetly grey.
Wingnut

For the record: Strike Gundam Phase Shift active and Phase Shift inactive.
As you can see Inactive is definately grey.
Now let's get back to the original topic of discussion.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Sabersonic

Chris wrote:Tomino wanted the Gundam to be all white like a Stormtrooper
Which would make Amuro's alias as "The White Devil" and the other "White Mobile Suit" mentions make some sense compared to the current color scheme.

Though I gotta wonder if he ever regretted that analogy with what happened to the Stormtroopers during Return of the Jedi.

Anyway to get back on the subject, artistic creativity and sponsor interest have always had some level of friction that would make anyone pull out their hair in frustration and often ending in defeat though with some level of payback. This is especially heightened when the sponsor is your only source of income to finance your work.

Though I gotta wonder, considering how the Mobile Armors are introduced and handled as the stereotypical "Monster of the Week" in mechanical form, is that completely Tomino or was it Clover's idea purely as more stuff to sell?
Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad

"If I had seen farther than others, it has been by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Issac Newton
mcred23

Sabersonic wrote:Though I gotta wonder, considering how the Mobile Armors are introduced and handled as the stereotypical "Monster of the Week" in mechanical form, is that completely Tomino or was it Clover's idea purely as more stuff to sell?
I'd think that some of those ideas were his, but some were probably done at the request of Clover.

EDIT: Tee hee hee, 4000th post. :mrgreen:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')