'Next Lynn Minmay' cast call - Macross to return?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
kupoartist

'Next Lynn Minmay' cast call - Macross to return?

We still haven't pried Macross Zero from Japanese shores, and Victor Entertainment is now holding auditions for a voice actress to play lead heroine in a new Macross anime series. Auditions will last until the end of the month for a female between the ages of 12 and 25. Though nothing has been revealed on the details of the series, the site does ask for sample songs from whoever applies, so the Macross musical tradition shall continue. Is it too early to insist on more animated concerts?
source
Haven't seen anything about this elsewhere, but as I've recently watched Macross, i'm quite interested to see how this one pans out. So what do you reckon it means? A Macross remake? A direct sequel to SDF Macross? Yet another property for Harmony Gold to sit upon with its hideous, barnacled arse?

edit: Topic title changed to reflect my subsequent successful negotiation of lexical ambiguity. This post was informed by lack of sleep and too much English Language coursework.
Last edited by kupoartist on Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
EZero8

A new Macross wouldnt be a bad idea as long as the "spiritual" stuff with music is left out. Returning to the roots of insane Valkrie dogfights and military-based plots would definately give the series a boost after the "failure" (I'm using this term lightly) of Zero.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
kupoartist

EZero8 wrote:A new Macross wouldnt be a bad idea as long as the "spiritual" stuff with music is left out.
Spirituality needs to stay far away, especially considering that Minmay is going to be involved somewhere along the line. It'd be very hard to try to run weighty spiritual themes with 'Watashi no kare wa pailotto' blurting out in the background.
EZero8

Not only that, but the theme with the spirituality in music just seems a bit overdone now with Macross 7 and Macross Zero both following that theme. I've always enjoyed Macross for its action and never really minded much about the music.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Destiny_Gundam

It doesn't say Minmay will be in it. I believe the creator's said that her story line is over. The article means 'New Lynn Minmay' as in 'the next Macross idol'. Not a literal recast of the character.

I didn't mind the spirituality thing too much, but it did seem out of place, especially since Macross is a real robot show. I am looking forward to this new project however. I wonder if they'll stick with Zero's CG mechs (one of the few instances of really well done CG mechs). Plot wise I'd have to say it'll be an original story. Other than Macross 7, the other series had good endings that pretty much wrapped up their story lines, leaving no real need for a sequel.

Only time will tell.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Fritz Ashlyn

EZero8 wrote:I've always enjoyed Macross for its action and never really minded much about the music.
You make Basara cry.

This will brighten up my brother when I pass the news along. He's the Macross to my Gundam. As far as what it means, perhaps they're remaking the orginal into OVAs or some such thing.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
kfrooster

Surprising but welcome news. If they're indeed filling up the time gap between SDF Macross and Macross Plus, I am all for it. I haven't watched Macross 7 yet but I hear it had Maximillian Jenus in it. Did it ever show Hikaru as well? If not, a continuation of the SDF storyline would work nicely. They could show how Eden came to be and whatnot as there seems to be a gigantic technological jump in the almost 30 year time skip. (Understandable though, sort of...)
Aegis

Personally, what killed Zero was not the spirituality theme at all. What made Zero rather bad was the the result of a rather crappy story towards the end. I kinda realised that the final episode would end up rushed based on the slow pacing of the fifth episode, but I certainly didn't expect the end to be that poor, with some of the deaths came about along with the clicheness of the bird man (or whatever it was called) threatening the world. It never laid any real groundwork for SDF Macross itself beyond the likes of Roy Fokker showing up, thus coming off as a prequel for the sake of having a prequel.

At any rate, while I know more about Gundam than Macross, I do have a stronger preference for the latter franchise over the former, just because it seemed so much more gritty and down-to-earth. The Valkyrie designs and their transformations still remain as one of my favourites. Then there's the music (sans Zero and Macross 7, the latter a result of having not seen the series as of yet), which has typically been topnotch. I do hope that this new Macross manages to pick up the slack and deliver.
kupoartist

Destiny_Gundam wrote:It doesn't say Minmay will be in it. I believe the creator's said that her story line is over. The article means 'New Lynn Minmay' as in 'the next Macross idol'. Not a literal recast of the character.
Ah yes, the actual audition page contains pictures of both Minmay and the Macross 7 heroine, so I suppose it's just saying 'You could be the next Lynn Minmay!'
Destiny_Gundam

If they ever did recast Minmay... there'd probably be rioting in the streets x.o
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
kfrooster

Speaking of which. How popular is the Macross saga within Japan?
EZero8

I'm pretty sure its quite popular in Japan, especially for its music. In a way, there is as much music in Macross as J-Pop in CE.
Enki

Just found out the news today in Gunota which is suprising since Gunota is usually all Gundam news all the time. In any case, the Macross news certainly made my day. I humbly look forward to a new Macross series.
silencer.001

i am also looking forward to this new series

after watching the latest movie, it screamed new series, and now there is one, yay :D
YazanGable

Latest movie? You're not referring to 'Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles' are you?

Cause if so, I hate to break it to you, but that's...not a Macross title (if anything, in Japan they'd consider that as a Mospeda sequel.)
Although HG HAS announced that they do plan to make a follow-up series for that (...eventually.)

As for the original subject. You know, I'll be honest, I don't think they should drop the music-spiritual angle entirely since, let's face it. That's been one of the concepts the series WAS founded on (culture, etc.)

Hell, for all the Valkyrie action the titles have provided, Earth would have been wiped out were it not for the music/culture plot point.

The 'more Valks, less music' thing only really works well if you're doing a side-story like Plus. If it's a mainstory...then yeah, they're going to want some focus on the music/culture storyline. Like it or not, it IS a key Macross concept.
Marcis

YazanGable wrote: The 'more Valks, less music' thing only really works well if you're doing a side-story like Plus. If it's a mainstory...then yeah, they're going to want some focus on the music/culture storyline. Like it or not, it IS a key Macross concept.
Only if it does not turns story into junk like with Macross 7 or Zero. Do you honestly think Zero had good ending, if ep. 5 deserves an "ending" to it? Do you?
People are objecting against overdoing of Music/culture like in Zero or some parts of 7. C'mon - Basara scaring aliens off with this music (though i would run from hearing Planet Dance one more time too) or Zero ep. 5, don't this counts as overdoing?
Applying for job at Anaheim
bluemax151

Marcis wrote:Only if it does not turn the story into junk like Macross 7 or Zero. Do you honestly think Zero had a good ending? If ep. 5 deserves an "ending"? Do you?
People are objecting against overdoing of Music/culture like in Zero and some parts of 7. C'mon, Basara scaring aliens off with this music? Although I would run from having to hearing Planet Dance one more time too or having to watch Zero ep. 5. Doesn't this count as overdoing?
Ironically the Macross 7 manga was called "trash" :P

Here is my canned response to your comment
bluemax151 wrote:
As far as Macross 7 is concerned it is seriously the only other Macross show to ever come close capturing the feel of original Macross. I can understand if you don't like old 80's esque rock personally but j-rock is ever so popular these days and is more or less of the same caliber.

While dismissed by the majority of the USA contingent as being too cheesy for its collective palate, MACROSS 7 was well-received in Japan (much more so than MACROSS PLUS in fact), enough to see a four-part OVA sequel in MACROSS
found here

Kawamori Shouji and other MACROSS creators have often noted that, more than any other sequel, the 1994-95 MACROSS 7 series is closest to the duality in spirit of the original that alternates between the serious and fantastic. Indeed, Kawamori describes the first MACROSS series in a 1983 book introduction as being "realistic, and yet not realistic. It's tongue-in-cheek, and yet not tongue-in-cheek." These words aptly describe MACROSS 7 as well. In a 1997 interview, he sums the whole Big West franchise quite succiently by describing Macross as a world where the creators "can do the strangest things."
found here
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
Mark064

I personally thought Macross 7 was great and is my definet favorite part of the Macross saga, and I love the music. I didn't find most of the series cheesy and I found Basara's music to be quite moving at times depending the on the scenes. Especially the scenes where others join into Basara's singing, however Dynamite 7 was disapointing as it didn't capture the same feel. And I was really disapointed to see the lack of one live Fire Bomber preformance so the only parts of the OVA I cared for the most was the opening and ending animations.

But back on the new Macross, seeing as they are outright stating they are hiring a female lead and require song samples it's clear that music will continue to have a big role in the show. Macross isn't like Gundam in the sense that it's been done to death so they aren't going to easily remove core elements. Songs are the big thing of Macross afterall and by the looks of it where they'll continue going. As for the culture I really think it depends on the kind of culture they are aiming for. The same can be said about the music. This is where Macross Zero was a big failure in my eyes, the music was horrible and the culture was even worse. So the only thing that was left was the Valkyrie battles which was nice but such a thing couldn't save the show.