The cost to build a 1:100 model

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.

The cost to build the model (US dollars)

<$10
33%
$10 - 20
11%
$20 - 30
11%
$30 - 40
No votes
$40 - 50
33%
>$50
11%

Total votes: 9
jnhchan

The cost to build a 1:100 model

Want to know how much people spend on build a MG kits or 1:100 kit. What I mean is the cost of paint, sand paper, compress air (if you don't have the compressor), sand paper, etc.

I just build RX-78-4 and the cost is:
Paint :$10 australia dollars
Spray can: $36
Sand paper: $1.6
Total : $47.6

and the kit cost me 20 australia dollars..

I just want to know the average cost to building the model. I don't mind if you just print the necessary part or paint it in very detail.
Last edited by jnhchan on Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Kamille! Kamille!

<$10? lmao.

This is a worthless question IMO. It all depends on how much work you're willing to put into it, and what you already have. If you already have paint, primer, putty, etc., or if you only paint and don't bother priming, puttying, sanding, etc. then it costs much less. You can build it straight OOB and it would only count the cost of the kit. You could paint it straight OOB and it would cost the kit price + paint, depending on which ones you need to buy. A $30 airbrush is more costly than a $1 brush, etc.
tetsujin

Re: The cost to build a 1:100 model

jnhchan wrote:Want to know how much people spend on build a MG kits or 1:100 kit. What I mean is the cost of paint, sand paper, compress air (if you don't have the compressor), sand paper, etc.

I just build RX-78-4 and the cost is:
Paint :$10 australia dollars
Spray: $36
Sand paper: $1.6
Total : $47.6

and the kit cost me 20 australia dollars..
I assume "Spray" is what you paid for compressed air?

It does seem like a bit much - an aircan in the US costs around $10, and I would expect one to last at least one or two full projects - but your prices may be different or maybe I don't remember how fast those cans run out. :) I don't know how much a compressor costs in Australia - but if you're spending $36 AUD per project in air then you may want to think about a compressor. I bought mine for around $120 USD - which would be about four or five projects at that rate.

The other costs you list sound more or less in line with what I expect - initial cost is higher than that but the supplies last for more than one project (I don't use an entire bottle of red painting a GM, for instance, maybe about a third) so it averages lower. Likewise for sandpaper - as I usually buy 8"x11" sheets and then cut it into squares for actual use. Then there's other costs that average out over an even longer period - like $50 for a respirator. How long do the cartridges last? How long does the mask itself last? Hard to say. (Actually I've had my mask for about six years and it may be time to replace it - so maybe that's the answer...)

Camille: I think the question was asked with the assumption that those answering actually do properly build and paint, probably with the hope of getting a feel for whether the poster's expenses were normal. It clearly wasn't a worthless question to him, eh? So probably earnest answers aren't worthless to him, either.
Last edited by tetsujin on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SNT1

wouldn't know; I have a bunch of paint jars, sandpaper, glue to last 10-20 more MGs, AB and compressor, and more importantly time.

Really, trying to calculate how much I actually spend on each MG will just make me loco.
Wedge14

hmmm...well since i have a compressor and sand paper allready i'm good with that.

Paint. usually around 12 if i need 6 new colours.
Primier 3 bucks.
I've never emptied my putty tube yet, or my cement.

So usually 15 dollars. I tend to buy enough stuff for a bunch of kits all at once, instead of rushing out to the store every new kit.

(All prices in Canadian currency)
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
mcred23

I really can't say, as it depends on the kit I'm doing. Some kits I can get away with doing just the bare minimum and it'll cost me only a dollar or two (If that). Other kits I'll go and sink more time, effort and money into, leading to the price going up far higher. However, IIRC, the most money I've ever put into a single kit was roughly $40-$45 dollars, but this is something I only did a single time and I rarely bother with that much work on just one kit.

In this case, I voted for "<$10", although I could have easily voted for "$10 - 20" as most of my 1:100/MG kits fall into one of those ranges for the amount of money I put into them (Aside from their normal price). Typically, this will cover whatever I need to buy, usually paint or glue, but I don't need to buy that stuff every time I do a kit so it keeps the cost down.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
eztofu

$0

why?

since my dad makes models anyways :lol:

military miniature stuff. so... weathering and sorts isnt a problem for me 8)

my household is basically full of models.

its like theres a within house hold competition of how many models a person can possibly build.

currently being outnumbered 3:1

i have 62 gundam kits built in total so far.. you guys do the math 8)
acguy rules. period.
PlasticFrog

eztofu wrote:my household is basically full of models.

its like theres a within house hold competition of how many models a person can possibly build.

You'll have to post pics of your house one day. :)
Most recently purchased: MG Hyper Mode God Gundam
Most recently finished: SD Verde Buster
Supposedly working on: HG Exia + Astraea
jnhchan

Re: The cost to build a 1:100 model

tetsujin wrote: I assume "Spray" is what you paid for compressed air?

It does seem like a bit much - an aircan in the US costs around $10, and I would expect one to last at least one or two full projects - but your prices may be different or maybe I don't remember how fast those cans run out. :) I don't know how much a compressor costs in Australia - but if you're spending $36 AUD per project in air then you may want to think about a compressor. I bought mine for around $120 USD - which would be about four or five projects at that rate.

The other costs you list sound more or less in line with what I expect - initial cost is higher than that but the supplies last for more than one project (I don't use an entire bottle of red painting a GM, for instance, maybe about a third) so it averages lower. Likewise for sandpaper - as I usually buy 8"x11" sheets and then cut it into squares for actual use. Then there's other costs that average out over an even longer period - like $50 for a respirator. How long do the cartridges last? How long does the mask itself last? Hard to say. (Actually I've had my mask for about six years and it may be time to replace it - so maybe that's the answer...)

Camille: I think the question was asked with the assumption that those answering actually do properly build and paint, probably with the hope of getting a feel for whether the poster's expenses were normal. It clearly wasn't a worthless question to him, eh? So probably earnest answers aren't worthless to him, either.
No, it is spray can for gloss and semi-gloss finishing. One can cost me 12 dollars and i used up three cans.
Last edited by jnhchan on Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jnhchan

eztofu wrote:$0

why?

since my dad makes models anyways :lol:

military miniature stuff. so... weathering and sorts isnt a problem for me 8)

my household is basically full of models.

Good on you as there is an unlimit support person live with you... The paint and tools stuff cost me about 30% of the pocket money per month.
tetsujin

If you've got an airbrush, you should consider using Future as your clear coat. It's good stuff. You can also mix it with Tamiya flat base to get a flat coat. I don't have the international equivalents list handy but it's an SC Johnson product and in some markets it's known as "Kleer".
jnhchan

tetsujin wrote:If you've got an airbrush, you should consider using Future as your clear coat. It's good stuff. You can also mix it with Tamiya flat base to get a flat coat. I don't have the international equivalents list handy but it's an SC Johnson product and in some markets it's known as "Kleer".
I heard that before but i cannot find it in supermarket.
ulnhyrr

Here's a compiled list of info on the various names that future goes by and the stores they can be found in at various countries:
http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html
manrogue

I normally hand paint everything,but have been considering airbrushing for a while. Is it easy to pick up? Do people find it more convient?
Hope you don't mind me asking? :D
tetsujin

manrogue wrote:I normally hand paint everything,but have been considering airbrushing for a while. Is it easy to pick up? Do people find it more convenient?
I think the most difficult things about learning airbrushing are getting the paint thinned to the right degree and being patient and careful enough to not lay on too much paint. Airbrushing saves a lot of busy work - since you can lay down a coat of paint so quickly - but you still have to be patient with it. That can be hard.
jnhchan

tetsujin wrote:
manrogue wrote:I normally hand paint everything,but have been considering airbrushing for a while. Is it easy to pick up? Do people find it more convenient?
I think the most difficult things about learning airbrushing are getting the paint thinned to the right degree and being patient and careful enough to not lay on too much paint. Airbrushing saves a lot of busy work - since you can lay down a coat of paint so quickly - but you still have to be patient with it. That can be hard.
My point of view is try and error. Find some useless or cheap model. Try the mix ratio until you like it. Although it will take 3 to 4 bottles of paint, it is the easiest to do so. Moreover, you can practice your air brush skill.
Duo

Unfortunately I can't vote in this because I've only done 1 MG 1/100th scale.. my other 1/100 is only a HG. =\

But I have a question... I've gotten my hands on only 3 of the Gundam paint markers that are out.. And I love how they look on some of the things I've done, mainly beam sabers from Wing and some UC sabers as I got that neon green and the saber pink colors. I have an order for a set of 6 finally coming in on Wednesday... But have any of you used them? Are they worth it for someone that hasn't had or probably won't have a lot of time to work on ALL the painting details for the 1/100s?

I'm probably a model painting noob because I used to just put them together and slap on the stickers and leave them that way (be they gundam or any other type of model).
"TAG ALONG ON MY JOURNEY INTO HELL!"
"Momma said real men don't cry..."
"The God of Death is Back from Hell!"
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
eztofu

PlasticFrog wrote:
eztofu wrote:my household is basically full of models.

You'll have to post pics of your house one day. :)
indeed i will.

but i have to wait till next month till i get the digi cam back... (it went on vacation with my dad) :?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/ ... anther.jpg

here's one of the (many) models... :? sorry for the poor quality of the photo.. took it randomly with my web cam a long time ago :wink:

someone remind me to take a pic next month.. 8)
acguy rules. period.
jnhchan

Duo wrote:Unfortunately I can't vote in this because I've only done 1 MG 1/100th scale.. my other 1/100 is only a HG. =\

But I have a question... I've gotten my hands on only 3 of the Gundam paint markers that are out.. And I love how they look on some of the things I've done, mainly beam sabers from Wing and some UC sabers as I got that neon green and the saber pink colors. I have an order for a set of 6 finally coming in on Wednesday... But have any of you used them? Are they worth it for someone that hasn't had or probably won't have a lot of time to work on ALL the painting details for the 1/100s?

I'm probably a model painting noob because I used to just put them together and slap on the stickers and leave them that way (be they gundam or any other type of model).
Well, gundam marker will be good if you just want the color of your model right. It is easy to use and nearly no clean up at all. However, the color is limited and the result is not as good as air brush or hand paint (with skill. Without skill, marker is better)

However, after you use it several times, you may think to use other method to make it better
SNT1

I strongly advise against gundam markers. Too expensive for the amount of paint that you get (A bottle of modelmasters acryl is only slightly more expensive, and you can brush the paint outta the box---no thinning)

Speaking from experience, as I have one gundam marker and I was less than impressed, as the 'strokes' are more visible than if I handpainted---and its more obvious on larger areas.