Steroid needers and sports dreams

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.

Allow or Deny?

Deny?
53%
Allow?
47%

Total votes: 19
Volnixshin

Steroid needers and sports dreams

Okay so I have a debate. I am a person (a man) that needs steroids to maintain some bodily functions. The steroids DO NOT put me above par the average person my age, in fact usually they keep me up with the average person, as my body doesn't develop muscle on its own. This is called Klynfelters Syndrome, or XXY. (look it up please) there are many variations of this defect. I learned I had XXY when I was 13, I am now 20. Now When I was little I always wanted to join the NBA, however I was denied even joining the little basketball league because the coach took one look at my medical forms and said because I use steroids I can never join a sports team, especially not a pro one.
So I ask YOU, what do you think? Do you think that people who NEED steroids to live normal healthy lifestyles, should be denied their dreams and be forced to watch the things they love like sports or marathons instead of being allowed to join in.

ALSO IF YOU VOTE DENY, PLEASE GIVE A REASON I would very much appreciate it, it won't put me on bad terms with you.
BTW many of my XXY friends have been denied sports teams and marathons as well for the same reason.
Last edited by Volnixshin on Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
gihrenzabi

its not your fault. i would say as long as you dont use steriods to be above average it should be fine.
"To victory, life or death!" - Mikhail "Misha" Kaminsky
"The great mass of people...will more easily
fall victim to a big lie than to a small one."
Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf
Toxicity

Whatever keeps you up and going. Most controversal drugs like steriods are perfectly safe when used in the right dosage. It's when people get addicted to the stuff and overdose on it that it becomes a problem.

Personally, some of it could probably do me some good. I'm a fricken toothpick and I can't do heavy lifting worth a shit. Most of the school week, I'm a zombie cus I don't sleep well, so the extra energy would help me pay more attention in classes that I'm struggling with.
"Kamille! Kamille!

Re: Steroid needers and sports dreams

Volnixshin wrote:Okay so I have a debate. I am a person (a man) that needs steroids to maintain some bodily functions. The steroids DO NOT put me above par the average person my age, in fact usually they keep me up with the average person, as my body doesn't develop muscle on its own. This is called Klynfelters Syndrome, or XXY. (look it up please) there are many variations of this defect. Now When I was little I always wanted to join the NBA, however I was denied even joining the little basketball league because the coach took one look at my medical forms and said because I use steroids I can never join a sports team, especially not a pro one.
So I ask YOU, what do you think? Do you think that people who NEED steroids to live normal healthy lifestyles, should be denied their dreams and be forced to watch the things they love like sports or marathons instead of being allowed to join in.

BTW many of my XXY friends have been denied sports teams and marathons as well for the same reason.
There are all kinds of steroids. Not all are bad, and not all are used for gaining muscle mass. This is what too many people don't understand. I take an inhaled steroid for athsma. My arthritic grandma takes a steroid.

Anabolic steroids are the steroids that athletes use to gain extra muscle mass and bulk up. These, if misused, can hurt your body as much as they help build muscle. These are what people refer to when they say "steroids" from a sports-related standpoint for the most part. They work cooperatively with weightlifting: basically, you can't gain much muscle mass by only taking anabolic roids, but taking anabolic roids while weightlifting increases the muscle mass built by weightlifting. They are illegal in most if not all sports and probably what your league managers thought you were taking.

There are also other things such as protein shakes, NO-XPLODE, and various forms of creatine that are legal and sold by stores such as GNC. Over half of the players on our football team, and I would guess most post-HS athletes, take them to gain muscle mass. They work in conjunction with weightlifting like anabolic steroids do but do not harm your body (that is, if you drink enough water while taking them, like you're supposed to).

I don't know too much about Klynfelters (studied it in biology long ago) but it appears you are taking anabolic steroids because, as you say, XXY has to do with a natural lack of muscle mass. TAKE YOUR STEROIDS. Your doctor knows what's best for you. He either wouldn't prescribe anything dangerous to your body, or would prescribe it in a way that will not hurt your body when you take it. Whatever he's giving you will help your body more than it will hurt it, and I doubt it's hurting it at all (or else why would he prescribe it in the first place?).

If the idiots that run your basketball leagues can't discern that you NEED your steroids and that you're not just taking them to bulk up, then that's their problem.

FMI, consult your doctor.

(I used to want to make the NBA too, until I realized from an early age that I was short, slow, unathletic, and white. But I'm a beast in pickup games.)

tl;dr: TAKE THEM.
ZZ Gundam

Your coach needs to pull his head out of his rear end. You have every right to use those AND participate in the sport of your choice. Take this contemptable little worm to court and destroy him for us all. I for one would like to kept updated on any further developments, I simply hate injustice and ignorance. :evil:

EDIT: Just looked at latest poll results, I can't believe that people here have voted to deny. :cry:
Mecha Gaming Forum A place for mecha friends.
ParaParaJMo

Performance enhancers really slow you down than make you compete better. All the people who lost in the Pride event (for those of you who don't know what Pride is, it's like the Ultimate Fighting but in a ring instead of a cage and with some different rules) in Las Vegas, most the fighters who lost tested positived for steroids (though I heard Vitor Belfort took his for a knee injury which was proven but he failed to submit a doctor's report prior to the event).

But yeah, sometimes some athletes who take steroids for a medication still get screwed. Like James Toney won the heavyweight title and it was proven he was taking steroids to treat a shoulder injury and yet he's stripped of the title because he had roids.

There are steroids that are meant to be used as a medication. Like Jerry Lewis now takes certain steroids as his prescription. Those who use it for performance enhancers are another story and it really slows them down than makes them better athletes.
To see my anime reviews, please go to
http://www.youtube.com/user/paraparajmo
RedShirt0909

The way I see it, if its prescribed by a doctor for a medical condition, have at it. If you want some extra kick for the big game, just no. It gives you an edge that some can't get, and makes it an unlevel playing field between the steroid users and the non-users. Only exception for non-medicinal users is if your a soldier, and then it could save your life and your friends' lives.
Yea, though I sail through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I am conning ten thousand tons of 'screw you'
Volnixshin

Well with MY condition, my body doesn't produce mucsle mass on its own at all. On average it takes me 7 to ten times the effort to make muscle then it would take an average personi in one try. Also, the one thing my coach and some other teachers at my college say is, "well if you want to join, stop taking them for a while, which is ludacris in my situation, to which afetr three or so months my doctor said I'll have a relapse or go into a coma (whoohoo)
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
Fritz Ashlyn

It's an unfortunate situation you're in, but you have to look at it from the sports organization's standpoint. By allowing you to participate (especially at the pro level), they'd have to take care to give your screenings special treatment just because they know they're going to find "steroids". Most pro level organizations have rules in place that are either similar to a "three strikes" rule, with increasing suspensions when steroids are found as a result of testing, or zero-tolerance.

Even if they find a way to allow you to play, then you're going to always have people on the outside saying "Yeah, well they allow so-and-so in the league, and that guy's on roids," whether they understand your need or not. Imagine, if you will, that Barry Bonds is eventually nailed to the wall for steroid abuse like the government (and MLB, to an extent) want him to be. Can you imagine, after that debacle, letting a guy play in the majors who uses steroids for anything? There'll be cries of hypocrasy from people, complaining fans, possibly lawsuits, etc.

While it's unfortunate that you're stuck in the position you are as far as sports and your medication goes, and I do think the little league coach overreacted a bit (why you'd be barred from little league sports, which has no testing, for an easily explainable condition is beyond me), you have to think of it from their point of view too.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
ZZ Gundam

I see what you're saying Fritz, but I disagree. In Volnixshin's case, the sterioids are practically life-sustaining. Yes, his coaches and trainers would have to take special care for screenings, but if Volnixshin's athletic skills are good enough to be on the team in the first place, and it seems that they are, so what. The steroids aren't boosting his physical abilities at all. So again I say let him play.
Mecha Gaming Forum A place for mecha friends.
ParaParaJMo

I guess the only chance you got now is to sue for your right to play. You got a medically proven condition and I suppose you have to submit a doctor's report and take a voluntary test and that way everything is fair for your sake and everybody else's.
To see my anime reviews, please go to
http://www.youtube.com/user/paraparajmo
solid snake

Crap! I accidentally hit the Deny option on the poll. I meant to hit Allow. Sorry. :oops:

There are exceptions to every rule, and this is one of those. If you need those steroids just to survive, then there's really no reason they should hold you back.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Folken Fanel

I think you should march up to whoever says you can't play with your parents, doctor, and friends and have them all tell them that you only use the steroids because you have a legitiment medical problem. If that doesn't work, try out anyway and show them that your steroids just put you on a level playing field with the others instead of turning you itno some muscle bound loser possesed by 'roid rage. If that doesn't work, sue them.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
codename:v

For your sake, if you can't live without steroids, then you're not fit to play. In any sport events, each players are required to be physically fit and not dependant on any forms of drugs. Usually, they would have to undergo dope testing and this could get very strict. Since you're rather dependant on steroids because of your physical disabilities, it's not surprising that the coach denies you a place even in a little league. I know it sounds discriminating but think again, if you're excepted from other 'normal' players who doesn't use or aren't allowed steroids, how would you feel? And rivals can use that to penalised you. Peace.
Volnixshin

In my roommates case, he doesn't need them to live, however, he does, like me, is unable to produce his own bodies testosterone, he built all his muscle on his own, but was also denied entrence to the football team..

It makes me wonder though, many people like us go to the my college, so why would they bother having such limits on the sports teams if we make up almost half the campus?

codename:v

Well, welcome to the real world. In sports, if they find any flaws in your medical report, you would be axed.