L-Gaim or Dunbine?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.

Which Tomino Series should I get first?

Dunbine
60%
L-Gaim
40%

Total votes: 10
CarbonStereoxide
Location: Starting an explosive party at Azadistan with Setsuna

L-Gaim or Dunbine?

Guys, I'm planning to get another Tomino Classic, I just finished all his Gundam series (I recently finished V Gundam last saturday btw V Gundam is the greatest Gundam series ever!!!) and movies which he created, except Gundam F91, Zeta and Turn A Movies. The next Tomino anime that I'm planning to get is either Dunbine or L-Gaim, which should I get first?. Can you guys give your opinions about the two series.
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

"Celestial Being is the World's Finest Terrorist"- Tieria Erde

"Wanna Get High?"- Towelie

"I'll Dance in your Grave Tonight"-Hallelujah Haptism

"Mosque Closed, Party's Over!"- Lockon Stratos after shooting Ali-Al-Sarches
Saikuba

I've only seen Dunbine but I did enjoy it quite a bit. Probably more than any Gundam series, in fact. In particular I like how the escalation of the war is presented, it starts with the smallest of skirmishes and eventually gets into gigantic battles but it gets from point a to point b in such a natural way that it doesn't ever really seem jarring. But I can't really compare it to L-Gaim, since I haven't seen it.
Daishikaze

Thats a tough question, I've only seen alittle of both, and I love what I saw. Dunbine would probably be easier to find, so I'll say that
ParaParaJMo

I haven't seen L-Gaim, but I have seen Dunbine. That was a pretty interesting series in its own right. I do have copies of the original novels he based it off of, Wings of Rean. The original novel didn't have mechs, but the sponsors made him do it for the anime adaptions.
To see my anime reviews, please go to
http://www.youtube.com/user/paraparajmo
Scyron

L.Gaim is good, I liked it, I will say this though it comes off a generic mecha anime, nothing huge really happens, but it isn't a total waste of time. Dubine is also A LOT easier to find so I'd say that.

I'm pretty sure chris has reviews for both so you might want to check them out and see how they fair. I also made an l.gaim post after seeing it not that long ago abliet it has spoilers in it.
Genocide

Perhaps next to Ideon, Dunbine was one of Tomino's most infamous creations (I haven't seen Zambot 3 so I can't comment on any comparisons there). L-Gaim is much lighter on the other hand, and although it's virtually impossible to find, perhaps would be more enjoyable after watching something like Victory Gundam. Of course, like Scyron suggested you should probably have a look at the reviews on MAHQ. Just beware of spoilers.
Crusader

I would say L-gaim but it is indeed hard to find. Dubine is very serious, and one scene in particular makes me uncomfortable. They are very good though.
Ryujin

I think that the determining factor here would be:

What kind of ending would you like?
CarbonStereoxide

Scyron wrote: I'm pretty sure chris has reviews for both so you might want to check them out and see how they fair. I also made an l.gaim post after seeing it not that long ago abliet it has spoilers in it.
Thanks for the advice, but I don't like to go the reviews because of the spoilers that are present there.
Ryujin wrote:I think that the determining factor here would be:

What kind of ending would you like?
it depends on the series' story development, I like 0079, Zeta, ZZ, Victory Gundam's ending for its action and brutal scenes, while Turn A's ending was great because it is unique in Gundam's terms and the characters are well developed.

I think the ending that I would want to see next is a brutal one but the characters and the story is well developed.
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

Ryujin

CarbonStereoxide wrote:I think the ending that I would want to see next is a brutal one but the characters and the story is well developed.
Sounds like you should watch Dunbine first.
CarbonStereoxide

Ryujin wrote:
CarbonStereoxide wrote:I think the ending that I would want to see next is a brutal one but the characters and the story is well developed.
Sounds like you should watch Dunbine first.
Ok thanks for the advice and I have decided to get Dunbine based from the reactions that this thread recieved. So I guess this topic can be closed.
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

kupoartist

You can't go wrong with either from what i've seen, though considering that you can actually purchase a localised Dunbine, it has a considerable edge.

The opening themes for both are solid gold cheesy as well. Hurrah.
YazanGable

The purchase part's debatable.

ADV, for reasons that to this day I've not heard explained, only produced a limited number of copies of the final DVD...
To such an extent many people have had a hard time finding them, period (even Ebay rarely ever carries it, if that's saying anything.)
To add insult to injury on this, ADV has made no comment on if there's a reason for this, much less when the devil they'll ever make more.
Quiddity

May be too late now, but may as well throw my opinion in as the one who reviewed both series for MAHQ.

Both shows are quite good. From a sheer quality standpoint though, there's a clear winner - L-Gaim is the better show. Dunbine isn't a bad show, but it does hit a rut in the second half of the series when a certain major event occurs. To avoid spoilers I won't say what that major event is, but it hits the show just when things are getting really good, and the quality really goes down til the last 6 or 7 episodes. That said, if you want a more original show, Dunbine is probably the way to go. There are not that many shows out there like Dunbine.

L-Gaim's an extremely entertaining show right from the get go and over the course of the series becomes one of Tomino's most complex shows. I thnk the lightheartedness of the show is a tad overblown - it does not have an ultra depressing ending with everyone getting slaughered a la Ideon or Zeta Gundam, but it isn't a Gundam ZZ or Xabungle either. The character designs are pretty much all music star style and there are some lighthearted moments throughout, so it does have some laughs that you won't see in Dunbine or many of Tomino's other shows. There's the occassional slow parts of the series, but those segments don't last that long.

I personally would prefer L-Gaim if the two shows were in equal circumstances. That's not the case. Dunbine's officially released in the US, L-Gaim is not. Dunbine will be a lot easier to get, so that's probably the one to go with first :P
Perhaps next to Ideon, Dunbine was one of Tomino's most infamous creations (I haven't seen Zambot 3 so I can't comment on any comparisons there). L-Gaim is much lighter on the other hand, and although it's virtually impossible to find, perhaps would be more enjoyable after watching something like Victory Gundam. Of course, like Scyron suggested you should probably have a look at the reviews on MAHQ. Just beware of spoilers.
I'd say Dunbine is more 'infamous' or 'well-known' than Ideon, at least in America. Dunbine's been released here. Ideon will never be released here. I'm glad Ideon is finally getting some talk now in english on the web; as recent as 2005 though there was barely a whisper of it in english on the web outside of myself.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.