For the Guys - Shaving: Necessary or Do You Hate It???

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.

Do you enjoy facial shaving?

Yes! OMG Favorite Thing of The Day!
7%
No, But My GF Hates Stubble...
5%
Eh, I Don't Shave Every Day, But I Don't Hate Shaving
74%
BEARDED ALL THE WAY!
14%

Total votes: 43
lalahsghost

For the Guys - Shaving: Necessary or Do You Hate It???

Okay, Just to get it out of the way, I'll tell 'ya right now... I hate shaving and all activities involved with it Can't stand it, can't stand it, can't stand it!.

You know, there's the purchasing of everything needed, The shaving process itself, the cleaning involved afterward, then worrying about getting razor-burn or acne from it. Why do we shave anyways? C'mon....

Personally, I wanna buy one of those Braun razors that you flip upside down into the cleaning solution, and charge the battery for around $80. Right now though... I'm Using some kind of trendy four blade razor made by Old Spice. They're dandy, but are too big to get precision for mustache areas. There's razors with up to five blades, ten gel strips on the razor's casing, the kinds of razors that you only buy the heads, the electrics (how are those?), and disposables. What is your preference, and why? There's many kinds of shaving creams involving gels and creams and even still powders... What kind are you familiar with, and use most? I found this stuff called Edge Gel, orange lid, strange canister, but it cuts down on face irritation sooo much! I prefer it exponentially compared to standard Colgate or Barbasol lathers. Oh? Do you use hot water to rinse your razor during shaving also? I like to, since it feels like it helps with the removal of hair, but hey... that part is probably psychological.

And what about the shaving process itself? Where do you start, and what angle do you hold and move the razor? I usually start on the right side, where the sideburns are, stopping when I reach my chin, then I do the other side of my face, with a downward angle. I then shave the underside of my chin, down to up, and try to not hit my jawline while shaving on this angle. With the chin and mustache, I go sideways first, then upward, just to make sure I got it all. It sucks trying to full force shave the beard part off, so I devised the sideway trick so it is way less irritable.

Cleaning you and your surroundings afterwards? My sink is awesome, and I just get a large cup and pour water all over it, and it rolls all down the sink, my face I just hop in the shower, and let that rinse off before actually taking the shower.

How many times do you use your razors before throwing it out, if you're using disposables? Anything else I haven't covered?

Oh... Don't forget your overall attitude toward shaving, or do you shave at all?
RedShirt0909

I really don't care one way or the other. If I had my choice, probrably shave once a week, after it started getting pretty noticable. Of course, I leased my soul to Uncle Sam through NROTC to pay for college, so I have to do it every weekday :cry:. Having to do it every weekday does make it a pain in the rear, though.
Yea, though I sail through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I am conning ten thousand tons of 'screw you'
Brave Fencer Kirby

Shaving irritates me, but probably because I only wait too long to do it. I won't shave until the beard I'm growing is annoying me more than shaving would... then I have to go through the whole process of using the beard trimmer, then using main razor, then cleaning it out because it's so bloody clogged with hair, then going over everything again... Geh.

I've always used electric razors. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just afraid of sharp things? Plus I'm not real fond of shaving cream. Gooey foamy cold wet stuff on my face? Pass. I used to have one of the Braun ones like Lalah's Ghost, but the thing broke on a regular basis -- it was apparently a common problem, because Braun stopped making the replacement part needed to fix it. Now I use a Norelco instead.
Wedge14

:shock:
Weird how this came up. This is one of my favourite topics ever. Currently I'm sporting a pair of side burns and a soul patch. I use a Gillete Mach 3 with the little motor in it so it 'vibrates' It can get in all the precision areas it works pretty well.

I also use a remington beard and mustache trimmer to manage whatever facial hair Im sporting at the time.

Currently I'm using some Gillete Gel shaving cream, i prefer the old fashioned stuff preferbly heated up.

I use a whole wack of stuff on my face aswell, from moisturizers to soap...Grooming is a subtle art.

I like to start at the cheek bone, in down ward swipes , the chin, the upper lip then i hit the area around the side burns. The worst part is shaving the neck. And it's obvious why.

My blades last me around 3 weeks before they start getting dull and thats with shaving 7 days a week.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Gambit01

I used to hate it, then I switched from an electric to a Gillette, and now....well, it's still not my favorite thing in the world, but it's not a chore, either.
I mean when you spend precious seconds to give an "All Your Nukes Are Belong To Us" speech before you even start the Gundam up, you know you're too overzealous for your own good.~wza
"Kamille! Kamille!

I don't really care either way. I have no time to do it in the morning and never feel like doing it at night, so I pretty much do it when I feel like it, which is getting progressively less often. I've currently got a beard going, because I haven't shaved in a few weeks, but it looks civilized, and as long as it does, then I'm okay.
Antares

Yes surprisingly enough not everyone this far up north needs to grow a protective fur, especially if one doesn't take good care of it. Mange is a horrible thing. And I notice all the lads here are sticking to above neck -shaving in their answers. And no, since it needs to PG-13, I am not going below that crucial line either. :D

Personally I shave every other day, but when I am really pressed for time all day I might forget and go on until someone mentions about it. I don't look in the mirror usually long enough to see the shrubbery growing. I use disposable razors on the road and a flashy Gillette Mach-something-or-other when at home. The electric razors I tried way back when used the method of pulling the hair out like some infernal, out-dated machine harvesting grain. After the skin had healed I've never touched those again.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
RGM-79 GM

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:Shaving irritates me, but probably because I only wait too long to do it. I won't shave until the beard I'm growing is annoying me more than shaving would... then I have to go through the whole process of using the beard trimmer, then using main razor, then cleaning it out because it's so bloody clogged with hair, then going over everything again... Geh.

I've always used electric razors. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just afraid of sharp things? Plus I'm not real fond of shaving cream. Gooey foamy cold wet stuff on my face? Pass. I used to have one of the Braun ones like Lalah's Ghost, but the thing broke on a regular basis -- it was apparently a common problem, because Braun stopped making the replacement part needed to fix it. Now I use a Norelco instead.
Same here. I am willing to use a blade but I haven't for several years.
US Army Infantryman's creed wrote:In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous; Armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country's trust. Always I fight on: through the foe, to the objective, to triumph over all. If necessary, I fight to my death
ShadowCell

I hear Native Americans are genetically predisposed to a lack of facial hair.

I envy them.
Antares wrote:And no, since it needs to PG-13, I am not going below that crucial line either.
And if you go below that crucial line, I will personally hunt you down and sacrifice you to the sky god.

Just sayin'.
Cardi Doorl

I keep a nice beard, since I have an unhealthy obsession with facial hair. Of course, I do need to trim it every day. My family - particularly my father's side - just tends to be naturally hairy, so I've been able to grow a full moustache since I was 12 and a beard since I was 14.

I usually have to hit the area around my neck and below my chin, because I tend to develop a nasty neckbeard effect pretty quick :( Then I take care of the parts on my cheeks that aren't part of the main beard, then trim the beard itself to make sure it doesn't get too long or unruly, and I'm done. I use electric stuff and I find it fine so long as I use a moisturizer right afterward.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

I don't think much when I do it, its just a routine to me. Though sometimes, I either don't feel like it, or I'm just lazy. I usually do it during the weekends, when I have enough time to.

I just usually do the area around my upper lip, and chin, I don't have alot of facial hair myself.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Ascension

I'm rather annoyed about that, actually... I've got enough Cherokee blood in me that I can't grow a decent moustache. The sideburns and chin grow at a normal rate, but the lip refuses to cooperate...
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Zeta Gelgoog

I recently tried growing a beard, I went two months without shaving and it didn't go anywhere, it was patchy and stuff, and for some reason the right half of my mustache doesn't connect with any of the other hair on my face, but my left side does. I knew it looked wierd but I didn't want to give up on it. My nephew came over to visit the other day and he told me to shave because he didn't like it. I shaved it off and a couple of days later and said he liked it. Morale of the story, never listen to 4 year olds, they have no idea what they want.
This Space For Rent.
mcred23

I typically shave twice a week (Ususally on Sundays and Wednesdays) when I have school due to the fact I don't like how I look when I let myself go for much longer than that. Summertime/being out of school is a different matter, and I'll often go two or three weeks before I start to get bothered by it all (Particularly what grows on my chin and above my lip). The hair on my chin and above my lip will grow in pretty well, but almost nothing (visible) comes in on the sides of my mouth or on my cheeks.

I've pretty much used only one thing to shave since I started about two years ago, that being a blue Remington DA 307 electirc (Which holds a charge for about two or three months :mrgreen: ). I've used razors a few times but I just don't like the feel of it and simply find it more annoying (And takes about three times as long), compared to my normal routine which takes all of 90 seconds and I'm done.
Last edited by mcred23 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Wingnut

I too try and keep a neat beard. Though I only need to trim it up every other week or so, unlike Cardi's every other day.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
RGM-79G GM Command

Well I hate shaving so I don't shave all that much but I don't like having a beard even more than that so I do shave after a while when I can't stand the beard anymore. Although it grows back very quickly so I don't bother with it for a while cause of that also since I don't want to keep shaving all the time.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!
"Kamille! Kamille!

Cardi Doorl wrote:I usually have to hit the area around my neck and below my chin, because I tend to develop a nasty neckbeard effect pretty quick :(
http://www.harvardavenue.net/images/kyleortonhair.jpg

So you look like this?
ShadowCell

Ascension wrote:
I'm rather annoyed about that, actually... I've got enough Cherokee blood in me that I can't grow a decent moustache. The sideburns and chin grow at a normal rate, but the lip refuses to cooperate...
I'll take that gene if you don't want it.

=D
Metal Legend
Location: Going all Reservoir Dogs on Kira in a warehouse in London

started wet shaving again and its no problem. My old electric ones nackered any way.

Keeping me little beard though : )
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane - Philip k. Dick
Ascension

I'll take that gene if you don't want it.
Now we know the TRUE reason coordinators are superior... control of their facial hair!
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.