Which Gundam Show Should I Watch Next?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.

Which Gundam Show Should I Watch?

Gundam 08th MS Team
43%
Gundam X
27%
Gundam ZZ
3%
G Gundam
13%
Victory Gundam
13%

Total votes: 30
ShadowCell

I say G Gundam. It's domestically available and quite entertaining, so you can dig up a few DVDs, make some popcorn, pop them in, sit down with some friends or whatever, and watch some pure awesome in action.
Nightwing03

is G Gundam like, gladiator style..? Gundams fighting in an arena?
♣♦♠♥
Imperial

G Gundam is more tournament-styled than gladitorial.

There's no specific boundary for the fights, save for the rather broad decree of "The Earth is the ring!" Gundam Fighters randomly wander around, challenging each other to fights.

At any rate, I suggest G because it's a good blend of various things. Its cast is fully of colorful, enjoyable characters. The story is equally epic and heart-wrenching. The fight scenes are just cool. Granted, it's not your usual cup-o'-Gundanium-tea, but that's hardly reason to shun it.
This space for rent
Rei Murasame

I'm still going to continue to urge my 'complete the UC with reverence and deep contemplation' stance, however, I can't give reasons on surface-level for something like this. For instance, I won't say, 'oh the mobile suits', or 'oh it's made of awesome', because ultimately, the UC has a depth and breadth that is immesurable, and a value that can only be found in dreams and memories.

To experience everything that UC has to offer, in my opinion, is top priority here, because... okay, I'll stop now, but trust me, see UC through to the very end - get everything you can, and above all immerse yourself, and really feel the threads that hold all the feelings and experiences together. Gundam is a life story, primarily, and UC does it best.

</UC Gundam Fangirl-ism>
"And I... should contemplate this change...
To ease the pain.
And I... should step out of the rain...
And turn away..."
ShadowCell

Well, I suppose you should go finish watching UC. Wouldn't want to make Rei sad, after all.

=D
Nightwing03

So you guys think i should watch 08th MS team, ZZ and X?

Yes, you cant make Rei Sad...thats a no no
♣♦♠♥
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

I'm currently watching ZZ myself at the moment. Around episode 29, and honestly I wouldn't know if I would recommend it or not. Its really a like it, or hate it series, and really, its good sometimes, and bad the other. Half way through, its a little boring, fortunetly Judau and Puru made up for that.

I think where I'm at now, is where Tomino took over, cause its starting to get better.

And really, I think it should be a matter of what you wanna do.

Off topic for a bit, I actually ended up liking the Moon Moon episodes
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
wing zero alpha

Nightwing03 wrote:Hmmm..X..That would be good, but i heard it got cut short..if u recommend that its that good i might consider watching it..^^
Yes it was cut short, but X didn't really suffer from that. If anything, it took out a potential space arc for the whole Freeden crew, as well as another Gundam appearence, but that's about it.
ParaParaJMo

G Gundam is not really a "rip off" of Dragon Ball Z. It's really meant to be a "tribute" or is influnced by it. The director once said that Ring Ni Kakero by Masami Kurumada (of Saint Seiya fame) was also one of his influences in G Gundam. Like Ring ni Kakero also used stereotypes of other nationalities all that stuff, it's just G Gundam's approach wasn't as extreme as Ring ni Kakero did. But if you're into Shounen Jump esque material go with G Gundam.

Gundam X is still great. Yeah it got cut short but so did the original Gundam. But I think X is still my favorite AU series. Well balanced between drama and action which is something Gundam SEED lacks. It offers something different but yet Gundam.
To see my anime reviews, please go to
http://www.youtube.com/user/paraparajmo
RedShirt0909

I'd recommend the 8th MS. Of the ones you list that I've seen, it was my favorite. Its pretty short too, so it could take you 2 days, then you could move onto X.
Yea, though I sail through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I am conning ten thousand tons of 'screw you'
ParaParaJMo

Man I forgot to give my piece on 08th MS Team

What's great about this series is that it's not your typical Gundam series. As summaries would say, you're not getting an over powered teenager who just coincidentially found himself into this. Even though there are lots of side stories about them in novels and games, very rarely do you get an original anime to your typical platoon composed of legitmatley trained and disciplined soldiers. But it also share charactersitcs with your typical Gundam series like the team is composed of various personalities so they tend to have inner conflict but they still have to put them aside and band together and stregnthen their bond.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

wing zero alpha wrote:
Nightwing03 wrote:Hmmm..X..That would be good, but i heard it got cut short..if u recommend that its that good i might consider watching it..^^
Yes it was cut short, but X didn't really suffer from that. If anything, it took out a potential space arc for the whole Freeden crew, as well as another Gundam appearence, but that's about it.
Indeed, despite that it was cut short, Gundam X is easily one of my favrioutes.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
CarbonStereoxide
Location: Starting an explosive party at Azadistan with Setsuna

G Gundam is a good alternate universe series along with Turn A and Gundam X because it has great action and a great storyline. Gundam X is another good alternate universe because it shows a "what-if" UC earth that has been crashed by dozens or more colonies and it is the only Gundam show that explain what newtypes are .

BUT if you prefer UC Gundam, I like to would suggest is V GUNDAM because for me it surpasses Zeta Gundam because the storyline and the character development is easier to follow and the action is the best among the UC Gundams that I have saw because of its simple brutality and violence (insert's the death of Uso's mother, the Shrike team, etc) , especially its ending which I considered the best in the UC timeline.
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

"Celestial Being is the World's Finest Terrorist"- Tieria Erde

"Wanna Get High?"- Towelie

"I'll Dance in your Grave Tonight"-Hallelujah Haptism

"Mosque Closed, Party's Over!"- Lockon Stratos after shooting Ali-Al-Sarches
Ascension

Out of that list, I voted for G Gundam. It was the first complete Gundam series (not OVA) I watched, and it's certainly fun. It's very different from the others, but I think that's a large part of what makes it fun.

The thing I most highly recommend watching, however, was not on the list. You MUST see 0080. It's a masterpiece. Besides, watching it will make Rei happy as well.

Oh, and CarbonSteroxide... I haven't seen V, and I really don't see how its ending could possibly surpass the end of 0080... but if it does, then I really should hunt down the show..
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
kupoartist

Save V Gundam for another day. It's the only truely decent Gundam you haven't watched yet. Better get some of the fuzz out of the way in the meantime, as you'll watch them all eventually. I recommend starting on Gundam X because it's really not very good, but then it's not at all bad either. Watch it, get it out of the way, forget about it. Then watch 08TH MS Team, because it's reasonably good. Then G Gundam, and tell yourself that it's ok, because it's being slightly self referential and its impossible to take seriously. Then watch ZZ Gundam and lose faith in the franchise. Go down the pub, drown your sorrows or turn to drugs or something. Just make sure you forget having watched ZZ Gundam, though make sure you never watch it again.

Finally, watch V Gundam and end on a high. Or watch V Gundam whilst high. And the opening episodes will be even more discontinuous.
"Kamille! Kamille!

wing zero alpha wrote:
Seeing what the plot was like before that, I actually think it almost worked out better that it was cut short. We probably didn't miss anything more than another self-contained story arc in space and a few more battles with the Frost brothers where Garrod is about to die and all of a sudden someone comes out of nowhere and saves him. Aka the rest of the plot. :/ (Still, I love it, as I mentioned--I don't think I've ever been as attached to a series' characters, and the ending was fantastic.)
kupoartist wrote:Save V Gundam for another day. It's the only truely decent Gundam you haven't watched yet. Better get some of the fuzz out of the way in the meantime, as you'll watch them all eventually. I recommend starting on Gundam X because it's really not very good, but then it's not at all bad either. Watch it, get it out of the way, forget about it. Then watch 08TH MS Team, because it's reasonably good. Then G Gundam, and tell yourself that it's ok, because it's being slightly self referential and its impossible to take seriously. Then watch ZZ Gundam and lose faith in the franchise. Go down the pub, drown your sorrows or turn to drugs or something. Just make sure you forget having watched ZZ Gundam, though make sure you never watch it again.

Finally, watch V Gundam and end on a high. Or watch V Gundam whilst high. And the opening episodes will be even more discontinuous.
When I watched V, I watched ep. 2, then 3, then 4, then 1. Worked out great.

Don't double post like this. It is really simple to edit in a new quote. - Wingnut
ParaParaJMo

To me V Gundam is what Double Zeta should have been.
muishkin

Ascension wrote: Oh, and CarbonSteroxide... I haven't seen V, and I really don't see how its ending could possibly surpass the end of 0080... but if it does, then I really should hunt down the show..
It's all a matter of opinion of course but if you like a very intense and apocalyptic style ending then V is definitely better. 0080's ending is more emotional but it didn't quite have the feeling of "it's the end of the world" to it.

You should watch 08th MS Team first it's short and awesome. After that you can watch either ZZ or Victory. Personally I would watch Victory first since it much better than ZZ.

Haven't seen Gundam X or G gundam so I can't comment on those.
"Kamille! Kamille!

muishkin wrote:
Ascension wrote: Oh, and CarbonSteroxide... I haven't seen V, and I really don't see how its ending could possibly surpass the end of 0080... but if it does, then I really should hunt down the show..
It's all a matter of opinion of course but if you like a very intense and apocalyptic style ending then V is definitely better. 0080's ending is more emotional but it didn't quite have the feeling of "it's the end of the world" to it.
Spoilers here.

I don't see how you got that out of V's ending. It wasn't apocalyptic. There was a threat of something similar happening, but it never got off the ground, as Angel Halo was destroyed before it could really go into operation. In fact, the theme of the show is almost the opposite of the apocalypse: rebirth. It ends the UC on an uplifting note with hope for the future.
muishkin

[quote=""Kamille! Kamille!"]
I don't see how you got that out of V's ending. It wasn't apocalyptic. There was a threat of something similar happening, but it never got off the ground, as Angel Halo was destroyed before it could really go into operation. In fact, the theme of the show is almost the opposite of the apocalypse: rebirth. It ends the UC on an uplifting note with hope for the future.[/quote]

Spoilers here!!!

I was merely refering to the mood of the ending. The world certainly didn't end in Victory but for me there was this sense of doom that was exuding from the last few episodes. The reason? Well it's probably due to the combination of the eerie lighting, the archetypal signs such as the wings of light, the desperation shown in the last battle, the crazy face of Katejina, and the force of nature known as the Angel Halo. Other reason could be that the final battle took place while everyone is descending into the atmosphere. A sort of descent into hell so to speak.

Of course the mood of the last 5 minutes took a 180 turn but that was more like the epilogue.

BTW an event of rebirth doesn't necessarily preclude an apocalypse before it. In many fictions they go hand in hand. You might say that the world needs to end first before being reborn.