RIP Sega Dreamcast 1998-2007

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
ParaParaJMo

RIP Sega Dreamcast 1998-2007

A few days ago in Japan, Trigger Heart came out and is the final game to be on Dreamcast. Sega has put an end to the development of the GD-ROM discs.

It scored a 6, 6, 6, 7 in Famitsu.

RIP Dreamcast

It has brought me great memories like Cannon Spike, Soul Caliber, Shenmue 1 and 2, and many great classics.
To see my anime reviews, please go to
http://www.youtube.com/user/paraparajmo
"Kamille! Kamille!

Dreamcast is dead? Welcome to the PS2's launch date.
EZero8

Wait... Japan was still releasing games for Dreamcast until now? :shock:
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
ParaParaJMo

Yup, but mostly a lot of independent companies were making DC games in Japan.

Saturn was alive in Japan until 2000 or 2001. It was actually a success over there.
To see my anime reviews, please go to
http://www.youtube.com/user/paraparajmo
Blauer Nebel

Wait... Japan was still releasing games for Dreamcast until now?
I'm actually surprised to find you surprised.
Assume the best. Prepare for the worst; for I have the hands of a saint and the mind of a sinner.
Deus EpS Machina

EZero8 wrote:Wait... Japan was still releasing games for Dreamcast until now? :shock:
actually, iirc, untill prolly last year, Sega still manufactured old games and hardware.

In fact, last i checked Sony still makes PS1 peripherals.
Genocide

Bah! The Dream will never die! O_O

Honestly I don't care what people say, the Dreamcast was undoubtedly one of the best systems ever to have been released. It was a landmark on so many aspects, as well as its games. Still, I believe they made the "last game for the Dreamcast" statement several times already in the past half-decade or so, so I wouldn't be too surprised if a new game crawls up sometime within the next year. Frankly, from what I heard it's extremely easy to program on the Dreamcast (and likewise easy to hack) which was both the reason for the console's success and failure.
Laevatein

Aah Good memories on the Dreamcast... *remembers all the times he's been owned in Project Justice*

Okay, maybe not so good memories ^^;; But the Dreamcast was the most fun gaming system I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. Sad to hear they're terminating making games for it, but as long as there are players who have fun with them the Dreamcast will never truly die.
Jedi Master ZAKU

Man they made games forthis long for that tging man i thought it died like at least 5 years ago guess i was wrong

Fix your posts by correcting your grammar and spelling. ~LG
When the going gets tough, the tough get giant fighting robots!!!
ZeonfromHell

Why doesn't (or didn't) the mainstream American like Sega consoles? Is it the same in Europe? How come they failed? Is there something wrong with them? I had Genesis and a Saturn and loved them until they stopped selling games. And the Dreamcast had a hell of a lot of potential upon its release, especially since it was competing against a 32-bit disc and a 64-bit catridge system. But it ultimately failed in the States?! What gives?
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
Scyron

I've always been told it was released too soon and didn't have the titles to keep it afloat. Personally I only got it for the Gundam game.

It also could be in part that the games were VERY easy to pirate which could have killed the system.
Last Raven

Scyron wrote:I've always been told it was released too soon and didn't have the titles to keep it afloat. Personally I only got it for the Gundam game.

It also could be in part that the games were VERY easy to pirate which could have killed the system.
What I heard it was the PS2's launch that killed it(the PS2 could play dvds.on top of sega's bad rep(the sega cd,saturn...etc)So it was bad timing.if it had been released when the PS1 came out(instead of the saturn)we'd probally see a Dreamcast 2 now.
Chris
Administrator

Last Raven wrote:
Scyron wrote:I've always been told it was released too soon and didn't have the titles to keep it afloat. Personally I only got it for the Gundam game.

What I heard it was the PS2's launch that killed it(the PS2 could play dvds.on top of sega's bad rep(the sega cd,saturn...etc)So it was bad timing.if it had been released when the PS1 came out(instead of the saturn)we'd probally see a Dreamcast 2 now.
If the Dreamcast came out in 1995 instead of the Saturn, it would BE the Saturn. There's no way it could've been as advanced then as when it was actually released.

There are several factors that led to the Dreamcast's demise:
1. Sega was in a poor financial situation after the failure of the Saturn in most of the world.
2. Big publishers like EA felt burned by the Saturn and decided not to release games for Dreamcast. Maybe not everyone plays Madden, but Madden definitely sells systems and that hurt Sega.
3. The launch of the PS2. Yes, there was a lot of buzz for the Dreamcast, and it did have a successful launch with lots of great titles. But that buzz was killed by the announcement of the PS2. Since Sony was the clear winner of that generation, lots of fans would obviously be on board for their next generation offering.
4. DVD. Even though DC games generally looked quite a bit better than PS2, the PS2 did have a DVD player. It may seem trivial now, but seven years ago, DVD players were still expensive, so the PS2 was the cheapest way for a lot of people to jump onto the format. In those days, that definitely hurt the Dreamcast (and the GameCube).

Any talk of Dreamcast not having enough titles is silly. There were plenty of great titles that came out during its lifespan, many of which have been ported to other systems. It was definitely a system for the serious gamer, the likes of which will probably never be seen again.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Camille Vidan

ZeonfromHell wrote:Why doesn't (or didn't) the mainstream American like Sega consoles? Is it the same in Europe? How come they failed? Is there something wrong with them? I had Genesis and a Saturn and loved them until they stopped selling games. And the Dreamcast had a hell of a lot of potential upon its release, especially since it was competing against a 32-bit disc and a 64-bit catridge system. But it ultimately failed in the States?! What gives?
We love Sega here, and i've been looking for one for years now :\
Vash

The dreamcast only had 2 games that I really loved (Soul Calibur and Shenmue). It really wasnt THAT great of a system. My biggest regret is that I didnt figure out sooner how easy it is to pirate games for the thing.
A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.
Blauer Nebel

I liked the Dreamcast. However, I must admit that a majority of the games that were released for that system didn't really appeal to me. Honestly, I only got it for Sonic, then held onto it when Rise From the Ashes, Virtual On, and Shenmue were released. After that, it kinda just stagnated.

Had there been more support for it, then it probably would have surpassed even the PS2. With that said, I never really considered the PS2 the "next gen" console for that generation because it lacked one important component, which made the DC marginally superior: four controller ports.
Camille Vidan wrote:We love Sega here, and i've been looking for one for years now :\
I would have gladly sold you mine if it hadn't been stolen...
Vash wrote:My biggest regret is that I didnt figure out sooner how easy it is to pirate games for the thing.
Hehehe. A friend of mine actually pirated Crazy Taxi for me.
Assume the best. Prepare for the worst; for I have the hands of a saint and the mind of a sinner.
"Kamille! Kamille!

Chris wrote:
Last Raven wrote:

If the Dreamcast came out in 1995 instead of the Saturn, it would BE the Saturn. There's no way it could've been as advanced then as when it was actually released.

There are several factors that led to the Dreamcast's demise:
1. Sega was in a poor financial situation after the failure of the Saturn in most of the world.
2. Big publishers like EA felt burned by the Saturn and decided not to release games for Dreamcast. Maybe not everyone plays Madden, but Madden definitely sells systems and that hurt Sega.
3. The launch of the PS2. Yes, there was a lot of buzz for the Dreamcast, and it did have a successful launch with lots of great titles. But that buzz was killed by the announcement of the PS2. Since Sony was the clear winner of that generation, lots of fans would obviously be on board for their next generation offering.
4. DVD. Even though DC games generally looked quite a bit better than PS2, the PS2 did have a DVD player. It may seem trivial now, but seven years ago, DVD players were still expensive, so the PS2 was the cheapest way for a lot of people to jump onto the format. In those days, that definitely hurt the Dreamcast (and the GameCube).

Any talk of Dreamcast not having enough titles is silly. There were plenty of great titles that came out during its lifespan, many of which have been ported to other systems. It was definitely a system for the serious gamer, the likes of which will probably never be seen again.
Concerning what you said about Madden--The ironic part is that yes, while Madden always sold more, the NFL 2K dreamcast-exclusive games were light years ahead of where Madden was at the time (as 2K6 still was... RIP little buddy)
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Camille Vidan wrote:
ZeonfromHell wrote:Why doesn't (or didn't) the mainstream American like Sega consoles? Is it the same in Europe? How come they failed? Is there something wrong with them? I had Genesis and a Saturn and loved them until they stopped selling games. And the Dreamcast had a hell of a lot of potential upon its release, especially since it was competing against a 32-bit disc and a 64-bit catridge system. But it ultimately failed in the States?! What gives?
We love Sega here, and i've been looking for one for years now :\
I can get a used one at my local microplay for about 80$
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
VR7

Virtual On Oratorio Tangram was the only real reason to own a Dreamcast. Too bad it wasn't the killer app for the DC. :?
-noel
bluemax151

I loved my Dalmation Dreamcast. In fact I still fire it up and play it every now and then. It had great games like Skies of Arcadia, Record of Lodoss War, Side Story, Blue Stinger, Grandia, Phantasy Star Online, Evolution and anything else I forgot. One must also admit the VMU was a great product and way before it's time even if it is not really feasible and of course much better than Sony's attempt the pocket station. The Dreamcast is missed even stateside *tips hat*
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010