GSD hits North American TV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Heretic

2200 Killer wrote:The best of luck goes to those Canadians who'll see GSD and form their own opinions. I have always said that they should watch something for themselves if they don't believe what the vocal percentage of people are saying.
Bah, I’ve already seen it and told all my anime watching friends to stay away from GSD at all costs.

It was bad enough without sub-par dubbing and commercials, why would I subject myself to it or allow others to suffer?
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
wing zero alpha

Imperial wrote:God forbid we actually let someone form their own opinion about a show.
It's more economical for everyone to have the same opinion, that way we're one step closer to having one unified consciousness. As far as the subject goes, we already have GSD in the US, so why are people saying "better them than us"?
2200 Killer

wing zero alpha wrote:It's more economical for everyone to have the same opinion, that way we're one step closer to having one unified consciousness.
But then we would have 1) a dictatorship and 2) armed rebellions. :P
As far as the subject goes, we already have GSD in the US, so why are people saying "better them than us"?
I agree that it's the wrong term to use. Because people in the US might end up going to Canada to avoid an American dicatorship one day. :lol:
Tyrenol. "Instead of talking about changes, let's make 'em instead."

http://www.geocities.com/tenou_clock/
http://tyrenol.livejournal.com/
Scyron

ShadowCell wrote:Hasn't just about everyone on this forum already seen DESTINY and, thusly, already either formed or had shoved down their throats an opinion of the show?

Now then. Back to our show.
I watched 3 whole episodes, before I got side tracked with other anime. Infact I never finished Seed either and I own I think all three movies and the series.

All I have to say is that I hope I can one day watch it. I'm sure it will be better than some anime I have had the dishoner of watching... Yatitake Japan

/not to derail the topic..
kfrooster

I'm sort of glad that GSD is finally airing on YTV. I watched the entire thing on Youtube and I sort of rushed through the series. Personally I didn't find it absolutely terrible as it did have it's own merits. The only thing I don't want to see is the butchered Openings that they did for Gundam SEED.
wing zero alpha

2200 Killer wrote:But then we would have 1) a dictatorship and 2) armed rebellions. :P
Never seen Evangelion I take it.
I agree that it's the wrong term to use. Because people in the US might end up going to Canada to avoid an American dicatorship one day. :lol:
They do that anyway just to dodge drafts or protest any random subject in the US.
ShadowCell

And with that, we will stop this "Canada has DESTINY and the US doesn't, so better them than us, lolol" crap.

Comprende?
Nimrod

and if Zannen is correct it seems Canada is getting Destiny starting March 9 and 930pm.

I wonder what's going to happen to Eureka 7 which currently inhabits that time slot?
Blue Comet

Zerosystem wrote:I was glad that YTV didn't decide to edit GS as it was known for over in the US. I just hope they won't do that, and that they'll show all of the OPs this time (nothing but 'Believe' from beginning to end for GS...).
:shock: Maybe it's just me but after watching the first episode of GS for both YTV and the uncut version as a comparison, I almost felt like I was watching two different shows altogether. I usually find it safe to assume that's how all the episodes are thereafter so i didn't go much further than that.

Anyways I'm quite glad GSD is finally coming to YTV. I had assumed they were going to air this back in the fall (like they did with GS) but i didn't quite realize that they were still in the process of bringing this show to North America then.
kfrooster

Nimrod wrote:and if Zannen is correct it seems Canada is getting Destiny starting March 9 and 930pm.

I wonder what's going to happen to Eureka 7 which currently inhabits that time slot?
Well with Full Metal Alchemist about to draw a close, the most reasonable action would be to simply bump Eureka 7's timeslot into there.

Based on what the Schedule looks like from a GMT-7 point of view, the current time slot for Bionix looks like this:

22:00- Inuyasha
22:30- Eureka 7
23:00- Full Metal Alchemist
23:30- Bleach

Changes in March
22:30- Gundam SEED Destiny
23:00- Eureka 7

Assuming that YTV finally cuts the ties with Inuyasha though. Goddamn reruns for what now? 3 years?
Nimrod

kfrooster wrote:
Nimrod wrote:and if Zannen is correct it seems Canada is getting Destiny starting March 9 and 930pm.

Well with Full Metal Alchemist about to draw a close, the most reasonable action would be to simply bump Eureka 7's timeslot into there.

Based on what the Schedule looks like from a GMT-7 point of view, the current time slot for Bionix looks like this:

22:30- Eureka 7
23:00- Full Metal Alchemist

Changes in March
22:30- Gundam SEED Destiny
23:00- Eureka 7

Assuming that YTV finally cuts the ties with Inuyasha though. **** reruns for what now? 3 years?
Your idea makes sense regarding FMA coming to end and all but the Inuyasha will stay there as long as it keeps drawing the ratings it does. Plus, YTV just finished Inuyasha's run with the last dub episode being shown recently so it's not going anywhere for quite a while now that YTV can get away showing re-runs.
Heretic

They beer not replace E7, I’m watching that. :evil:
[edit] *looks at assumed new times*

Oh that would be nice, then I could get away with not watching YTV until after ten PM on a Friday night. (Friday nights are when I hang out with friends)
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
2200 Killer

wing zero alpha wrote:Never seen Evangelion I take it.
I'm the guy who threw that crap in the garbage and did an anti-Hideaki Anno site.
They do that anyway just to dodge drafts or protest any random subject in the US.
And one day, you too will check the age of the people who run your government. 8)
Tyrenol. "Instead of talking about changes, let's make 'em instead."

http://www.geocities.com/tenou_clock/
http://tyrenol.livejournal.com/
wing zero alpha

2200 Killer wrote:And one day, you too will check the age of the people who run your government. 8)
I always do, which is why I'm not fond of the Kennedys. Anyway, moving back onto topic.
Antares

Maybe this is offtopic or not, I thought to give a peripheral perspective on anime on TV. Now, up here in the north, we got a strong lobby going for something anime (other than dubbed Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon) going, preferably in the native tongue (Japanese). We asked for something a bit more interesting. Well, we got what we asked but the TV fellows looked at popularity first. So we got Evangelion. But then they got spooked because Evangelion is no kiddy-show. So they slotted it bordering on midnight on Sunday and rerun on Tuesday. Only attracted hardcore fans and those who wanted to check out how well it could be subbed, since Eva is a hard anime to approach. I've introduced it to two people and becvause of Shinji they opted "no more" after 10+ eps.

Well, the lobby didn't go quiet, and we got Full Metal Alchemist now. A huge improvement, since that is a series many of my friends have loved, it is easier to approach even as an anime newbie. Only problem is, the TV fellows though it was kiddy-stuff all the way ('cuz the first ep is soooooo funny, yeah?) and they slotted it to Sunday 12:30. In the middle of kiddie stuff. I can't wait what color of feces hits the fan when Scar de-bloods Basque Gran with five-year-olds staring at the telly. Or maybe I'm just being overprotective for the kids, I dunno.

Anyways, my short version is this, it seems that in some countries they still don't know what to do with anime. It doesn't fit into the traditional categories for animations, and thus their timeslots get wheeled around arbitrarily. I expect in the US and Canada where anime has been more mainstream for a longer time these kind of issues are not as visible?
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
wing zero alpha

Antares wrote:Anyways, my short version is this, it seems that in some countries they still don't know what to do with anime. It doesn't fit into the traditional categories for animations, and thus their timeslots get wheeled around arbitrarily. I expect in the US and Canada where anime has been more mainstream for a longer time these kind of issues are not as visible?
Depends on what the network or timeslot is aimed for. If it's aimed straight for kids, you know that said anime is going to be butchered so the poor children will be able to watch it without getting messed up. Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, the Tenchi series, the Dragon Ball series (especially the first one) and One Piece are examples I can name off the top of my head. Midnight animes fair better; even the potentially controversial Trinity Blood ("nuns with guns" and all) seems to have gotten away with little editting done to it.
Antares

Thanks, wza. Yeah, I watched the "disco gun" discussion with great interest.
This got me wondering if FMA will be slapped on the cutting table here as well. The channel in question though has a good reputation of letting everything run unedited, but you can never be sure. Some editing would make even FMA fit nicely into the kiddie-timeslot. Then again, I watched the first ep as it aired and Ed's butchered leg was clearly visible, as was their mother's twisted form, so I would assume if those fly, then they haven't cut anything out.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
VF-X20A Veritech Freedom

i doubt it'll hit Cartoon network as poor views of SEED could have done some damage
edit: good grief im behind...
Brave Fencer Kirby

Antares wrote:...preferably in the native tongue (Japanese)... Only attracted hardcore fans...
Well there's your problem.

What it comes down to is this: the average public viewer doesn't want to watch TV in Japanese. You might attract the hardcore anime fans (and you might not; I personally never watch subs if I can help it) but there aren't enough of those around to make money -- especially with a TV airing.
DeltasTaii

This doesn't, interestingly, apply to movies so much though. I guess because they're supposed to be an "art form" while TV is just "popular media". Oh, snooty Fine Arts, how I laugh at thee.

Anyways, Miyazaki movies can play in Japanese, and do fine. TV series, nope.