Cosplay

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.

Would or Wouldn't You?

Would you Cosplay?
74%
Would you not?
26%

Total votes: 27
Cardi Doorl

I never thought Garma would be such a common cosplay choice :S The few cons I've been to have had very, very few Gundam-related cosplay, and almost all were attempts to dress up as the mobile suits rather than the human characters.

Anyhow, if I were to ever try again now, I'd just go in a Zeon uniform and not be any character in particular. My hair's too long to be Garma anymore. It'd probably fit Anavel Gato pretty well, but I really don't like Gato at all and would prefer not being him.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
tetsujin

Cardi Doorl wrote:I've never cosplayed, though I can't honestly say I'm closed to the idea. I actually had a Garma uniform going but it was never finished and never will be.

Thing is, I can't stand the idea of cosplaying unless the costume is superbly done. If it's even a mote below par then I can't imagine bringing myself to actually wear it under any circumstance.
I build things as a hobby - if I apply this principle too aggressively then I can never get anything done. Everything I've accomplished has some shortcomings.

'Course "par" is a bit different from "superbly done". "par" is more like getting a C in a school class - you met the basic expectations but not in a way that shows any particular distinction.

Now, my thoughts on cosplaying:
There's a bit of a weird culture around it. Essentially, in the con environment people will confuse the person and the character - not totally, but you're definitely treated differently in-costume than not. But I found that part kind of charming and/or entertaining, personally. But I also feel that a cosplayer is a real part of the convention in a way most people just aren't. It connects with the other fans there in a way that most people seem too shy or reserved to do just by straight, personal interaction with people they've never met before. This helps establish community and communication among people who may otherwise have just gone about their own little routine, dealing with others either not at all or in strictly passive-aggressive means. So from that perspective I want to be a part of cosplaying again - at some level I don't quite feel like a part of the con unless I'm cosplaying.
Enigma

I'm actually rather surprised at the small amount of cosplayers here, which is why there is so little Gundam cosplayers in general. All of you saying you like it, but won't do it. If you're a little creative, a half-decent costume of anything can come with about $50.

I've done quite a few now, going from Scirocco (which, admittedly, was a hellish costume), to Gihren (getting mistaken for Char on a few instances), and Jamil/Jamil-Bowie most recently. My next is shaping up to ditch Gundam altogether and do one or both of the Kasal brothers from Trauma Center.
alucard2

Enigma wrote:I'm actually rather surprised at the small amount of cosplayers here, which is why there is so little Gundam cosplayers in general. All of you saying you like it, but won't do it. If you're a little creative, a half-decent costume of anything can come with about $50.
well..i wanted to cosplay a gundam once,and it certainly didn't cost 50 and it was even half - decent :D

i'd like to be blonde so i could do a Char cosplay (nope,wigs currently are not an option :P)

tried a common Zeon soldier once but i wasn't satisfied with my costume results by the time the con was over...guess i wont try again until i get a hang of things...
Enigma

If you buy the materials and MAKE the costume, it shouldn't cost you that much. From there it's just a matter of how much care you put into the quality of the product you're making. I actually have a friend and fellow Gundam fan who does the stuff for me, and her usual price tag is $50, then I buy like, boots and a belt. Thrift stores and fabric shops are all you need.
alucard2

Enigma wrote:If you buy the materials and MAKE the costume, it shouldn't cost you that much. From there it's just a matter of how much care you put into the quality of the product you're making. I actually have a friend and fellow Gundam fan who does the stuff for me, and her usual price tag is $50, then I buy like, boots and a belt. Thrift stores and fabric shops are all you need.
Well...i attempted to make the costume myself and it all ended up a mess...wasted quite a bit of money with things and materials that didnt worked out the way it was supposed to...but to say the truth i am willing to do it all again once i find an way to get to the results i want
Enigma

Cosplaying a literal mobile suit isn't a great start, unfortunately. You can do it for free, though, if you just go to a grocery store and ask for their boxes, then construct a cardboard suit. Nearly free, and with the time and effort you can do amazing stuff with it. Look up the cardboard Megazord and Dragonzord cosplays.
Heretic

I have to say, I’m undecided on who I should Cosplay this coming summer. I’ve discovered that I have some moderate skill with tailoring things myself if I have some instruction from my Seamstress mother. I’m not limited in terms of the costume itself.

If I didn’t have glasses, I could easily pull off La Flaga before he came back from the dead as Neo. (Provided I shave off my beard) Much the same with Char. My hair is light enough to still be considered blond but it’s the wrong type for many characters since I can’t really style it much.

I know it’s more than half a year away, but I have a history of procrastination and I don’t want to leave it to the last second. There are plenty of options of who I could Cosplay, but I’m at a loss for deciding who I should cosplay.

Tetsujin- I agree completely with you about the social aspect of Cosplaying. It breaks the ice so to speak, giving strangers something in common that they can build off of in a conversation. I met so many interesting people at the Fan Expo with something as simple as my jacket inspired by 0083. With my background in drama and performing arts, I could take my Cosplaying to a higher level this year and thus go from a passive Convention Goer to an active participant.

Enigma- Cardboard is fun to work with. Preferably cereal box card. It folds nicer, you can curve it to look a bit like sheet metal, it doesn’t have an uneven surface since it’s not corrugated, and the right kind of boxes are strong as all get out. Cheerios card is rigid; Frosted Mini-Wheats boxes are more flexible and better for making curves. I haven’t made something with cardboard for a long while, but I’ve been thinking of making myself a massive sword of some kind. For no other reason than because I feel like it.
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
Imperial

I don't think I would ever cosplay. I don't even dress up for Halloween anymore, and that's a far more common occurrence.

However, if it really came down to it, I think a Zeon uniform would look awesome. They're just so cool.

Although, I have been told I would make a good Vash the Stampede.
This space for rent
tetsujin

Heretic wrote:If I didn’t have glasses, I could easily pull off La Flaga before he came back from the dead as Neo. (Provided I shave off my beard) Much the same with Char. My hair is light enough to still be considered blond but it’s the wrong type for many characters since I can’t really style it much.
Oh, man... That sort of touches a nerve for me...

I always hated when glasses would interfere with costuming. Like I can't see well without the glasses but the costume is messed up with 'em on. Best I could manage before I got contacts was to sort of alternate between the glasses and being "in-character".

Random note: shoes matter! I know, there's the whole "Shawshank Redemption" thing of "who ever looks at a man's shoes?" but these kinds of things do get noticed - and I hate when I see a picture of myself in costume with some random pair of sneakers on.
Ponder

Never done it before...was too shy of all the squealing girls. But this year, maybe I'd do a Shinn Asuka (I'm the right size)...maybe...I'm still very shy.
Cardi Doorl

You'll find it's easier to be outgoing when in costume. tetsujin and Heretic put it well in that it serves to "break the ice" so to speak and allow anime geeks to have a more immediate connection. I think that's what draws me to doing it - though I've still yet to actually finish one :(
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Nightwing03

I would cosplay, if i was dressing up as someone, say...any MASKED dude in Gundam? Neo Lorrnoke, Zech Marquise, Rau La Creuset etc.. i just dont want anyone to look at my face XD
♣♦♠♥
bluemax151

tetsujin wrote:Oh, man... That sort of touches a nerve for me...

I always hated when glasses would interfere with costuming. Like I can't see well without the glasses but the costume is messed up with 'em on. Best I could manage before I got contacts was to sort of alternate between the glasses and being "in-character".

Random note: shoes matter! I know, there's the whole "Shawshank Redemption" thing of "who ever looks at a man's shoes?" but these kinds of things do get noticed - and I hate when I see a picture of myself in costume with some random pair of sneakers on.
I have contacts specifically for such a reason even though I prefer glasses especially since contacts tend to cause complications. I've even worn prescription contacts under non prescription glasses to look right.

I second that shoes matter. I am especially critical of hooker boots for no good reason. I don't care if you're shorter than you should be hooker boots will not make that up.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
Volnixshin

Hey guys, S'me again, if you'd like I can send you a copy of an essay I did on Cosplay and how it can boost your morale and well self. Very informative.

ACTUALLY, Mods, it's only six pages long, is it alright if I post it here?
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
Wingnut

Volnixshin wrote:ACTUALLY, Mods, it's only six pages long, is it alright if I post it here?
A link will do fine. Those who are truely interested in it will PM you about it anyway so there is no need to worry about no one taking you up on the offer.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Volnixshin

I don't really know how to do a link of a text document..Oh I know, I could do a facebook note right? Lemme try..

Idk how to post a text link, any help?
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
GENOM Soldier

I think Heero would be the easiest cosplay. Just add a green tank, skin-tight very short shorts, white socks and tan shoes and your good to go....well only if your 5'3" less than 130lbs and have an antisocial attitude:P

I'm thinking of making a costume for Anime North if I go. Maybe Kenshin? I've got a sword. Or maybe Saito from Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex? Dye my hair black, add a eye patch and get myself a PSG-1 and I'm good:P
11FD Royal Canadian Artillery
bluemax151

GENOM Soldier wrote:I'm thinking of making a costume for Anime North if I go. Maybe Kenshin? I've got a sword. Or maybe Saito from Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex? Dye my hair black, add a eye patch and get myself a PSG-1 and I'm good:P
Cons usually have pretty stringent rules/regulations regarding weapons and costume weapons. Of course if you know people or don't get caught....
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
swordoath

Anime North requires that you peacebond your costume weapons when you bring them. Essentially you have to strap them down in a way that doesn't allow them to be drawn and used.

They also have an automatic ejection policy if they catch you with real weapons, of if you're caught tampering with or removing the peacebond.