Unicorn: This is what it means to be UC...

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.

Interested yet?

Yep!
36%
Like a man in a desert needing water, I need more info!
57%
I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10 meter beam polearm...
7%

Total votes: 42
ShadowCell

Well, I can see some Japanese guy in studded leather molesting traffic lights and screaming "FULL FRONTAL POWAA FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" at the top of his lungs. And it's something I'll never forget, no matter how hard I try.

On the other hand, if they try to adapt this into English, I'd love to sit in on that meeting where they try to figure out what his new name will be.
Bremics

ShadowCell wrote:Well, I can see some Japanese guy in studded leather molesting traffic lights and screaming "FULL FRONTAL POWAA FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" at the top of his lungs. And it's something I'll never forget, no matter how hard I try.
Thats going on my sig. And the Char clone looks kinda ugly.
Pray she never meets Athrun.
Neo-Era

EZero8 wrote:"Full Frontal" as a name...? I'm thinking that this would sound more like a name if it stayed as "Furu Foranteru."
In the original text source for his character profile, it does say that his name means "丸裸" ("nude" or "naked"), which makes the English rendition of the kana for his name straightforward.
Gunota Headlines: Daily Gundam newsblog
The New Adventures Of Tomino-sama: Not-so daily Gundam parody webcomic
toysdream

wing zero alpha wrote:On the other hand, it's nice to see the novel keeping to the tradition of funky names that could double as sexual or anatomical references.
Except the previous ones weren't actually anatomical references.

If Quattro's last name were what you're thinking of, it would be written with the kana wa-gi-na or va-gi-na (those are the only two kana spellings I can find in the Kenkyusha dictionary, and yes, there's a special kana combo that's used for writing va instead of ba). Quattro's last name is written ba-ji-i-na with a long vowel in the middle, so the final "na" is the only kana character the two words even have in common.

If Jamitov's last name were what you were thinking of, it would be written with the kana hi-i-me-n instead of ha-i-ma-n. Again, the final character is pretty much the only one the two words have in common.

It's possible that the Sunrise staffers who picked the current official spellings tried to turn these into suggestive references on purpose, but in order to do so, they would have had to ignore the original kana and make up new meanings for them. On the other hand, the warship "Girty Lue" from Gundam Seed Destiny actually is an example of toilet humor, but in this case they picked a spelling that hides it. Go figure.

-- Mark

P.S. For some reason I can't post Japanese text here, hence the workaround. If somebody else can fill in the kana, have at.
Imperial

On the other hand, if they try to adapt this into English, I'd love to sit in on that meeting where they try to figure out what his new name will be.
I can only begin to guess...
This space for rent
Volnixshin

Sounds really cool! I like gow it will refect the past 100 years og UC. I'm really looking foward to this novel!!
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
wing zero alpha

ShadowCell wrote:Well, I can see some Japanese guy in studded leather molesting traffic lights and screaming "FULL FRONTAL POWAA FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" at the top of his lungs. And it's something I'll never forget, no matter how hard I try.

....I had a response for that, but I'm not sure if Chris or the Mods would take it well, so I'll keep it to myself.
Except the previous ones weren't actually anatomical references.
Actually, I wasn't sure if they were doing it on purpose or not, but it still turned out where it could be translated as such due to the similarities. IMO it's up there with the kid in High School everyone made fun of because his last name could be interpreted as a double entende, despite the fact it wasn't meant for that kind of thing.
Gambit01

.........A mobile suit with a long horn on it, an 'enigmatic' villain whose name is Full Frontal, and a naive 16 year old boy as the main character who will be 'educated' by a slightly older woman....

What exactly are they trying to tell us here? :shock:
I mean when you spend precious seconds to give an "All Your Nukes Are Belong To Us" speech before you even start the Gundam up, you know you're too overzealous for your own good.~wza
wing zero alpha

Gambit01 wrote:.........A mobile suit with a long horn on it, an 'enigmatic' villain whose name is Full Frontal, and a naive 16 year old boy as the main character who will be 'educated' by a slightly older woman....

What exactly are they trying to tell us here? :shock:
And yet for some reason, this doesn't strike me as far from the ordinary when it comes to Gundam, not even the horn part.
bluemax151

I don't know how helpful this is but

Hymen = ヒーメン

Vagina = バギナ/ワギナ/ウァギナ

I think people are generally looking into this to much but I admit it's funny. Than again aren't all examples of engrish funny?
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
toysdream

At risk of extending this digression... Although the bagina variant that bluemax151 mentions isn't listed in the gold-standard Kenkyusha dictionary, judging from a quick google.co.jp check it actually seems to be the most common kana rendition. In this case, maybe there actually is an implied joke in Quattro's name, although Jamitov still seems like a bit of a stretch.

(And yeah, I suppose this is a digression, but it wasn't my idea to name a character "Full Frontal" in the first place.)

-- Mark
Sabersonic

Well the mask and uniform screams out "CHAR!" and "ZECHS!!", but am I the only one to think that there's a bit of Rau in that hair style?

And as for those names, I may be wrong, but I'm getting the feeling that the majority of those who work on the Gundam Franchise are EXTREMELY lonely when they came up with those.
Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad

"If I had seen farther than others, it has been by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Issac Newton
Gambit01

Sabersonic wrote:Well the mask and uniform screams out "CHAR!" and "ZECHS!!",
You can pretty much just say either Char or Zechs, as they come to the same thing in the end; only things that were ever any different were voices, hair length, masks, and the order they did things. Other then that, pretty much the same.
And as for those names, I may be wrong, but I'm getting the feeling that the majority of those who work on the Gundam Franchise are EXTREMELY lonely when they came up with those.
Tell me about it, though we probably should have expected something fruity was up the minute we heard the name 'Gundam Unicorn'.....

Suppose we were all just hoping they pulled it from the 'Lion and the Unicorn' poem.
I mean when you spend precious seconds to give an "All Your Nukes Are Belong To Us" speech before you even start the Gundam up, you know you're too overzealous for your own good.~wza
solid snake

Re: Unicorn: This is what it means to be UC...

Gunota wrote: (English spellings are subject to change)
I sure hope so.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Deacon Blues

Another alternation that I chose on the names were as follows:

Banarge Lynx (or Lynks)
Audrey Bahn

Oddly enough, one of the Japanese students at my university has the last name of Banarge (via marriage). I couldn't stop laughing when I read it. Gotta love those weird names. And for some reason, I can't see Audrey having the last name of Burn... just sounds so corny.
toysdream

The hero's first name actually uses the same kana as the Indian name "Banerjee," although that's usually a family name rather than a given name. I can't find any Google matches for "Banarge" with those kana, but I suppose it's possible, and who knows what wacky spellings the creators will decide on.

-- Mark
Genocide

Sabersonic wrote:Well the mask and uniform screams out "CHAR!" and "ZECHS!!", but am I the only one to think that there's a bit of Rau in that hair style?
Rau was actually the first person to come to my mind when I saw that picture, especially since their masks are both "helmetless". Anyway, I can't really explain why, but this novel seems like it's heavily influenced by Turn A. The design of the Gundam alone deviates from the standard formula quite a bit, and the awkward English names seem reminiscent of older Tomino shows like L-Gaim and Dunbine (Full Flat and Marvel Frozen anyone?). Anyway, the sexual innuendo seems like it's going a bit far. In a way I'm glad Gundam isn't being taken too seriously, but I also hope we don't get another former-half ZZ. Still a bit too early to formulate a rational opinion though...

Edit: Just saw the pictures of the other characters Deacon Blues posted. The main character looks like your typical teenager-turned-Gundam pilot, and that girl looks like some cross between Four and Stellar with extremely pretentious facial expressions.
Deacon Blues

Is it me or does Audrey just scream Mineva?
wing zero alpha

Deacon Blues wrote:Is it me or does Audrey just scream Mineva?
I was thinking the same thing. Not sure if Unicorn would go that far though.
Wingnut

Deacon Blues wrote:Is it me or does Audrey just scream Mineva?
Crossed with Belchoitka, yeah. Although I was thinking Sayla and Frau when I first saw her and the guy a cross between Seabook and Amuro.
In all three cases very thinly vailed versions of the originals. (Except for Seabook as at this point he isn't born yet. :P )
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.