Gundam Breaker

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.

How fun is Gundam breaker to you?

Awesome
18%
Very Good
55%
Average
9%
Below Average
No votes
Terrible
18%

Total votes: 11
InjuredPelican

Gundam Breaker

I've now played Gundam Breaker for a week now, and I have to say I enoy it quite a bit overall. Some repetitive gameplay, but still has room for some tactics and skill. The customization is cool, and I feel the units don't become outdated too terribly quickly, which was my fear when I played the Beta version. Speaking of, i believe the whole controls and UI were improved tremendously from the Beta to the official release. Very nice of Bandai to actually tweak a game so it works well before release.

Now for my complaints. Though there are a good many units available, I am still disappointed by what's missing, and what suits are in the game but still do not allow you to get their parts (unless of course I just don't know how to get there parts). I was hoping for the game to touch on nearly every series (as ExVS has done), but some are completely left out: ZZ, F91, V, X, and Turn A, 08th MS Team, and 0083. And they left out such units as the Gelgoog and Gouf, as well as the amphibious units. I hope when DLC comes (cause its inevitable with this kind of game) I hope they include a lot of new units or are at least affordable...

With all that said, I do like the game and find it quite addicting. Playing solo is fun, but online is even better. Seeing everyone's odd Frankenstein machines is a treat alone for me, and trying to get enough parts to recreate a unit or even some monstrosity of my own creation is a good time.

Who else has played? What are your opinions?
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
Xenosynth

Re: Gundam Breaker

I think it's a pretty solid game. About a 7 out of 10 for me. What it does is break up repetitive gameplay with variety, as opposed to other Gundam HAck and Slashes which IMO don't stack up as even above average (Dynasty Warriors Gundam I am looking at you). The major complain I have is the same as you, lack of parts, and then some incomplete suits. All parts you see in the game are obtainable, the silly thing is that they have issues with having lots of partial suits. Epyons heat rod, Gouf Custom arms, Virtue and Archer's legs, Gelgoog Jager and X Divider's machinegun, etc. I really hate that they had so many partials. They also like to fool you with mock ups (Re-GZ, Jegan, Kampfer, and Gouf units made from other parts, the Jagd Doga one is particularly easy to tell, Geara Doga parts with a Qubeley head). The randomness of the game is a bit annoying too but I also know many games have this sort of thing, such as when I used to be a big monster hunter player. It seems Japanese games like having a grindy/chance element, so I am used to it now even if I don't like it.

The game itself still is fun though, and I do like the units it has. The online is addicting and again, I was glad to see they had a decent variety of weapons, options, and ex-acts. Not a ton, but definitely not bad compared to most Gundam games. Even ones as cheered for as 0081 have some really bad variety (All melee weapons having the same combo, same death animations, etc.) and overall my problem with most Gundam games is that they have trouble with making you feel unique in the different machines. I also like all the minor touches like having the thrusters all actually animated, etc, and how the Awakening will match the suit you are using (Zeta parts getting the biosensor pink effect, the God Gundam actually having the chest and backpack open, complete with the KING OF HEARTS logo coming out), just the little things like that.

Hoping we have DLC soon though, I have 2000 extra yen on the account waiting for more stuff.

Edit: I do find myself a bit hypocritical. I have 60+ hours on the game, do not nearly have all the parts, yet still complain. It is a low unit count but holy crap I haven't even gotten Heavyarms legs/head/backpack or the Deathscythe arms/legs/back/head/scythe for any grade, to name two simple ones >.>;
Bryant Molirse

My turn to comment, post. Well I haven't played online but I have cleared every mission except 65, and 66 at this point. My thoughts quickly. It's fun to play, yeah you can tinker with designs, and make cool looking stuff. Could we use more parts, yes.

And I would have voted for awesome, but they have nerfed the drop rate, and it is driving me crazy to only get 2-4 parts, total, a level with no deaths, and almost always it is crappy weak weapons, or shields, and not body parts.
WARNING!!! I EDIT My posts in the image threads if there is NO NEW REPLIES!!
InjuredPelican

So right now my big complaint is how wimpy 00 Gundam seems to be, namely its GN Sword II. They have terrible range, and don't seem too strong. I wish if Strike Freedom is so broken and fun to play as that 00 Gundam/Raiser would get the same treatment. But there's my bias. Also, I'm having a hella hard time finding Deathscythe's scythe and the GN Sword III, as well as the Buster Rifle. You might have trouble with getting too many weapons, Bryant, but I can't seem to get enough or the right kind of weapons...
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
Xenosynth

The Strike Freedom's stats are actually not very good at least from what I've gotten in MG. The thing that makes it strong is the Ex-Acts but the actual suit stats are pretty low. Nothing I've gotten has yet beaten my 10 star MG Zaku II torso in terms of stats xD
Outlaw

Last week was pretty busy for me so I haven't had much time to play however, I did beat mission 45 today ending the game "proper". The only thing I could say I'd fault it on technically is that the difficulty can be pretty cheaply balanced with an over reliance on overwhelming numbers or the dreaded big guy+infinite supply of grunts combo. Otherwise the only other problem I had was the occasional bout of being stutter locked by enemy attacks, though apparently their is a module to help counter that.

I do have to say, while I don't mind the idea of incomplete units appearing I find the choice of what parts appeared to be a bit baffling. I would gladly have taken a GN Drive backpack over the Virtue/GN Archer legs, which would have also been more useful for the developers when they made those pseudo 00 units.

That's all for now, maybe I'll post some random thoughts once I've gotten some more under my belt.

PS: Is signing up for that Gundam Perfect Games site pretty painless? I've been considering but I just don't want to deal with it if it's a hassle.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Xenosynth

Yeah, it's relatively painless. I like it because you can get thumbnail size images of the MS you upload (Though would have been nice if they had actual HD screenshots rather than smaller pictures).

Also, this Tuesday the game is getting an update, free update, new mobile suits, and 30 new missions. If anyone didn't see from the main Gundam games chat that I posted it in earlier xD Should be fun, and I've very glad they are doing an update.

I theorize at LEAST 15 new MS if the new levels have 'normas' to clear. If each level gave 1 new decal, and we account for MG and HG versions, then that's 15 total. Not including designs taht are incomplete since those mostly HAVE decal unlocks (The virtue, archer, etc.) so 15 entirely new OR previously weapon only designs, since those wouldn't have decals in the game yet.
InjuredPelican

Yes incomplete suits would have been excusable if they actually brought somethign unique, like the Gouf's arms and Gatlign gun I think were a good inclusion (even if I think Gouf shoudl have been in the game for real). Legs only that would have been cool would be Aegis or Infinite Justice with their beam legs, or even Seravee instead of Virtue with its beam cannons and hidden arms/sabers.

As for the update, I would hope there would be 30 new suits. I know that's demanding, but I can't help but think it must be very easy for them to make the MG suits (just resize afterall), so the MG/HG difference should not contribute to teh number. And I hope the update isn't too biased towards 0079 or SEED/Destiny. It would be nice to see unrepresented series, like ZZ, V, F91, X, and Turn A.
-Loran Cehack
AmuroNT1

I'm really hoping the Gundam X and Epyon get completed, but I'm not holding my breath.

I honestly don't mind them doing only parts in a few situations, like for example the Endless Waltz Gundams, since normally there's only a minor difference between Katoki's originals and the upgrades. If anything, I wish they'd done that more; I really don't see the need to include things like the Zaku Minelayer and both the R-1A and R-2 High Mobility Zaku.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Outlaw

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find a HG GN Lance? The only hint I've found was a badly translated series of comments on a JP wiki pointing to mission 40 as a likely candidate, and so far I've been having no luck there.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
NastyNate

So folks generally like it here. How is the online community? Any English Speaking nice folks with headsets that will co-op out there? I met a lot of friends on the 0081 online. Is there a decent amount of people on?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Xenosynth

The playerbase is pretty cool, though still a majority japanese without headsets. But my experience online has been great, people will join for 5-10 or even more missions, they usually aren't rude and a lot of them know when a level is too hard for their level and will usually leave if that's the case rather than attempting it with guaranteed failure (Difficulty does slightly scale based on the amount of players in a room.)
zachalmighty1

Honestly, I would have loved the game more if it had been an RPG like the PS2 Gundam game. The idea of building an MS out of all those available parts is amazing. But for me, I'll be waiting for the Breaker to hit PS Vita before getting it (The console needs more love)
NastyNate

zachalmighty1 wrote:Honestly, I would have loved the game more if it had been an RPG like the PS2 Gundam game. The idea of building an MS out of all those available parts is amazing. But for me, I'll be waiting for the Breaker to hit PS Vita before getting it (The console needs more love)
Cool. I'm thinking about grabbing it for the vita too. :D It sounds like a great game to grind on the go. Though I might get both one day.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

NastyNate

Thanks to a nice man on facebook. I found this. Those just getting into breaker like myself. This is incredibly helpful!
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9538/28u4.jpg

Zeonic Glory

I've been interested in getting this on PS3 once I saw some of the units people have been making, but I just picked up a Vita, so I think I'll be getting it for that. I'll share my impressions after I get it and play around on it.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
NastyNate

Here's a very useful site that I just found out about. Once you use the google translate it shows were all the parts are.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... S:official

http://gb-wiki.net/