Muv Luv *There will be spoilers*

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Muv Luv *There will be spoilers*

Strike Zero wrote:See Strike Zero cannot into reading Japanese. -_-
That won't stop you from enjoying the CG set at least :wink:
Strike Zero wrote:...

Um. Sure.
LOL
Spoiler
Well from what I see in the CG set she's the only one you can screw, anyways. I'm aware that no one "ends up" with anyone, just death.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Strike Zero

Destiny_Gundam wrote:That won't stop you from enjoying the CG set at least :wink:
Oh, I've already done that.
Spoiler
Dat Yuuhi, man, Jesus Christ.
But it doesn't have any meaning if I can't appreciate the story behind it!
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Destiny_Gundam

Personally all that matters to me is appreciating the characters depicted. If I don't know who they are there's little meaning. Even if I don't know the context of the image it does well to enhance the fantasy.
Destiny_Gundam

So I finished Meiya and Kei's Unlimited routes. Overall I think Unlimited works better as a school based romantic comedy than Extra does. But then again I am biased towards it since the Unlimited manga was the first installment of Muv Luv I actually experienced. The manga did omit the near-BETA attack and the mock battle but I did like how some events in the manga played out more than they did in the game.

The problem is that since it is so linear, really Meiya is the only choice that makes sense thanks to the trapped in the cockpit event. I was hoping there'd be a variant of that when I was going for Kei's ending but there wasn't. After that moment in the cockpit it doesn't make much sense for Takeru to pick some one else.

Unfortunately I'm going away for a week and can only bring my laptop (game's on my desktop) so I won't be able to do the other routes or start Alternative until next Saturday.
Destiny_Gundam

I only have Makoto's route left to do but I gotta say... Getting 100% in Unlimited is pretty boring. The only variables are the Game Guy thing and who he hooks up with, but the dialouge and Takeru's inner thoughts are all the same with the names replaced. More variety in events would have been much appreciated... Oh well, it's almost time for Alternative.
Destiny_Gundam

I finished Alternative, though haven't been posting my status since it's already become too much of a one person thread :lol:

It really is as good as everyone says it is, though it wasn't without its issues. It was a bit too long in the tooth, especially when it came to explanations, mission briefings, flashbacks, and the samey conversations about resolve and guilt and reasons for fighting.

I also dislike the linear narrative. I realise that it's necessary to tell the story this way and it's merely a personal gripe, but what I enjoy the most about these types of games is that you're free to persue the route that you want and end up with the girl of your choice. Because of this I'd say Extra is the installment I enjoyed playing the most.

Alternative has a tiny bit of leeway, though, and for my playthrough I had Kei as the 'secondary heroine', though all that meant is that Takeru talked to her before Sadogashima, she overheard Takeru talking to Sumika in the simulator, and she left a letter for him at the end.

While I did go in aware of spoilers, that served to enhance the dread I felt knowing that certain events were mere mouse clicks away. I did encounter plenty of stuff I didn't know, however, namely most of what goes down in Extra Branch.
Spoiler
I knew EB Marimo would die, and I saw an image of a crashed basketball hoop and put those two together. I didn't know about the meat grinder, or the disappearing memories. The latter (especially when Sumika was involved) was particularly heartbreaking to the point where I'm not sure I want to go back and choose the other options (I picked Kei, naturally).
It was nice getting reacquainted with the Kiminozo characters and I think the battle of Yokohama was the best of the game's offerings. I found myself drawn to Haruka far more than when I was younger, Yuuhi was amazing and Tsukuyomi was all kinds of awesome.

Can't think of anything else to comment on. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.
Strike Zero

Oh, hey, I hadn't even noticed you'd posted until just now. Well, better late than never. :P

Going into Alternative was an interesting experience for me because, unlike yourself, the only thing about the story I'd been spoiler-d on beforehand was HEADCHOMP. Thus, for much of the game, I wasn't sure what to expect, though my hopes for a bright ending were quickly dashed as soon as the Valkyries started dropping like flies (Haruka's death in particular was pretty gut-wrenching). Still, pretty much the entire story (save for quite a few "oh, Jesus Christ, get ON with it" moments) was fantastic, though not necessarily something I have the emotional fortitude to push through again anytime soon.

I agree with the point you raised about the game's linearity. Particularly frustrating was the way they handled the game's SINGLE(!) romantic plotline. Seriously, what the hell was that. I wanted to punch Takeru in the face every time he said something to the effect of "Sumika is the one I love." NO SHE'S NOT, THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FOR ME TO DECIDE, DAMMIT. "NOBLE CONFIDANT" MY ASS.

I realize now that any hatred I ever directed towards Sumika over the matter was misguided. It was all Takeru's own stupid fault, the poor girl didn't do anything wrong.

On TSFs: Takemikazuchi is cool, but the Shiranui's design is just plain sexier. I'm sure there are many who would disagree with me, but, there you go.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Spoiler
I didn't know about the meat grinder, or the disappearing memories.
Funnily enough, the revelation of the circumstances of Extra-Marimo's death actually managed to lighten my mood somewhat. At first I was horrified when I found out that she died, but as soon as it turned out that she'd had her head shoved into a meat grinder, the situation immediately transformed into one of the most potent instances of black comedy I've ever seen. It's was one of those sorts of moments where you go "OH GOD, THEY CAN'T BE SERIOUS" while chuckling madly.
Destiny_Gundam

Strike Zero wrote:I agree with the point you raised about the game's linearity. Particularly frustrating was the way they handled the game's SINGLE(!) romantic plotline. Seriously, what the hell was that. I wanted to punch Takeru in the face every time he said something to the effect of "Sumika is the one I love." NO SHE'S NOT, THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FOR ME TO DECIDE, DAMMIT. "NOBLE CONFIDANT" MY ASS.
Well I've been told to look at it this way: Alternative is Sumika's Unlimted route.
Strike Zero wrote:On TSFs: Takemikazuchi is cool, but the Shiranui's design is just plain sexier. I'm sure there are many who would disagree with me, but, there you go.
I'm not much of a fan of the Shiranui. What I really love is the Fubuki. Screw you, Yuuya.

But in general I can't really tell non-Japanese TSFs apart. Even watching Total Eclipse the only non-Japanese mech I know by name and recognise on sight is the Terminator.
Strike Zero

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Well I've been told to look at it this way: Alternative is Sumika's Unlimted route.
Oh, gee.

That makes me feel so.

Much.

Better.

[/sarcastic monotone] :P

Anyway, Fubuki is alright, but I've always had a problem with its shoulders. Something about the bar things that stick out on the sides makes them look kinda silly.

Another point in Shranui's favor is that it looks positively badass in its YAMATO DAMASHIIIIII paint scheme.
Destiny_Gundam

Yeah, doesn't do me any good either but I guess the sentiment is "If you wanna hook up with Meiya play her Unlimited route."

Otherwise we'll just have to wait for Altered Fable to be translated.

I don't like the Shiranui's head, especially that hat like thing it has. Slap a Fubuki's head on a Shiranui's body and we'll talk. I prefer the blue UN colours for both of them too.
Sume Gai

I Love all the TSFs; all of them I tell you! the lovable clunkiness that are Gekishins/F-4s to the sharp sexiness that is the EF-2000 Typhoon or YF-23 Black Widow II. I find the easiest way to learn to recognize at least the basic frame if a TSF is to look at the shoulders, most models have fairly distinctive shoulders.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Destiny_Gundam

Speaking of TSFs, I just got my Revoltech Takemikazuchi and Terminator (plus Jehuty Vector Cannon) in the mail today.
yazi88

Spoiler
Fort Laser Class confirmed
Damn!

Spoiler
Just about everyone lives except for Cryska
DAMN!!!
teslashark

Game released.
Featuring:
Spoiler
Yuuya Takamura
YF-23 with Shiranui head and SU47 blades
Pointless killing of ESP clone
Spoiler
Kryska with Red-Ring-of-Death
Fikatsia returns
Super BETA - over 100 meters tall, at least 9 laser cannons and giant blade tentacle
More ESP clones and potential Glemmy-type harem (switch Purupuru to Kurykury)
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Destiny_Gundam

teslashark

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Here's a good summary of things:

http://pastebin.com/PFwCKAxg
http://pastebin.com/kWyfyMkW
Sorry, though it seem to be:
103 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED)
Destiny_Gundam

The links are working fine for me...
yazi88

Links for working fine for me too.
teslashark

GFW then.
Destiny_Gundam

... What does Games for Windows have to do with this?