The Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: The Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster Thread

Thanks Cards, although I'm not sure it's an accurate description of what the critical review of Destiny was.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
JulieYBM

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
iCards wrote:You could look at the amazon japan customer ratings to get an inkling of an idea. U might not be able to understand the reviews but numbers are numbers.

Here is one: at 430 customer reviews the FINAL GSD TV DVD (Volume 13 which was released 7 years ago) is at 2 stars, so yeah.
Hmm, extremely interesting. So.... does this mean that most of Destiny's commercial success came from Gunpla and figures?
No, like I posted earlier, the DVDs seems to have sold like hotcakes. CD Japan claims that the MSRP for each disc of Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED Destiny is 6,000 yen. Now, if we do a little math...

6,000 yen is currently $61.95

01巻 80,635 * $61.95 = $4,995,338.25
02巻 73,115 * $61.95 = $4,529,474.25 
03巻 69,751 * $61.95 = $4,321,074.45
04巻 68,416 * $61.95 = $4,238,371.2
05巻 65,694 * $61.95 = $4,069,743.3
06巻 66,509 * $61.95 = $4,120,232.55
07巻 60,431 * $61.95 = $3,743,700.45
08巻 62,330 * $61.95 = $3,861,343.5
09巻 58,228 * $61.95 = $3,607,224.6
10巻 61,066 * $61.95 = $3,783,038.7
11巻 67,052 * $61.95 = $4,153,871.4
12巻 64,745 * $61.95 = $4,010,952.75
13巻 95,544 * $61.95 = $5,918,950.8

Mother of God. The show probably only cost eight or nine million at today's exchange rate. If we can figures for how much the Gunpla made during the initial run Sunrise and Bandai were probably swimming in money.
She/Her
iCards

Amion wrote:Thanks Cards, although I'm not sure it's an accurate description of what the critical review of Destiny was.
you're welcome. You mentioned a recent poll and that was the only recent one I could remember.
JacobYBM wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
iCards wrote:You could look at the amazon japan customer ratings to get an inkling of an idea. U might not be able to understand the reviews but numbers are numbers.

Here is one: at 430 customer reviews the FINAL GSD TV DVD (Volume 13 which was released 7 years ago) is at 2 stars, so yeah.
Hmm, extremely interesting. So.... does this mean that most of Destiny's commercial success came from Gunpla and figures?
No, like I posted earlier, the DVDs seems to have sold like hotcakes. CD Japan claims that the MSRP for each disc of Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED Destiny is 6,000 yen. Now, if we do a little math...

6,000 yen is currently $61.95

01巻 80,635 * $61.95 = $4,995,338.25
02巻 73,115 * $61.95 = $4,529,474.25 
03巻 69,751 * $61.95 = $4,321,074.45
04巻 68,416 * $61.95 = $4,238,371.2
05巻 65,694 * $61.95 = $4,069,743.3
06巻 66,509 * $61.95 = $4,120,232.55
07巻 60,431 * $61.95 = $3,743,700.45
08巻 62,330 * $61.95 = $3,861,343.5
09巻 58,228 * $61.95 = $3,607,224.6
10巻 61,066 * $61.95 = $3,783,038.7
11巻 67,052 * $61.95 = $4,153,871.4
12巻 64,745 * $61.95 = $4,010,952.75
13巻 95,544 * $61.95 = $5,918,950.8

Mother of God. The show probably only cost eight or nine million at today's exchange rate. If we can figures for how much the Gunpla made during the initial run Sunrise and Bandai were probably swimming in money.
Thanks for elaborating on your previous post I could not make out the charts in your previous link.

No wonder Bandai can experiment with Gundam in this day and AGE.
JulieYBM

iCards wrote:No wonder Bandai can experiment with Gundam in this day and AGE.
This pun is so bad I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. Argh. :P
She/Her
ShadowCell

yes, we'll have to take punitive measures.
azrael

No obvious animation fixes in Episode 2. Minus the aspect ratio nothing appeared new.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Amion

Ah, episode two. Not much seems to happen in it, although seeing the Exus in combat was a plus, if only it were in orange...But I guess orange is to Mu what red is to Char and it was too much of a dead givaway to what was already a dead givaway.

Overall this is a weaker episode than I remember, although it still has its highlights. Strangely, that opening bit of music for the Gaia and Sword Impulse battle was one of my favorites in the franchise, reminds me a lot of Wing's soundtrack, which was my favorite from any show. It's a shame I actually find most of SEED and Destiny's music to be slightly annoying.

Lastly however, we get to see the Minerva's launch. Still the most dramatic launch of any warship to date, few shows tend to give much love to a warship like the Minerva got, that feeling of falling as it dropped down and spread its wings will always stand out in my mind. Two thumbs up for presentation.

First two episodes down, only three more before things start to slide in the wrong direction.

Also, Cagalli not snapping back at Lunamaria is really out of her previous character. Deconstruction has begun. :evil:
Silver_August

What slays me about those sales figures is that the final DVD containing the wouuuuunderful ending almost a full million, sometimes 2 million over every other volume...but interestingly enough, Vol 12 would've contained the Meer clip should if I'm not mistaken, ad that ones sold the lowest...but still made more then episode probably cost to produce...

Also coincidentally, sales drop to the 3 mills at the ep 25 mark, around hwen Kira and the super friends came back and began to steal the spotlight....Sales still soared high but think it says something? lol

now to find Episode 2 somewhere
JulieYBM

Silver_August wrote:What slays me about those sales figures is that the final DVD containing the wouuuuunderful ending almost a full million, sometimes 2 million over every other volume...but interestingly enough, Vol 12 would've contained the Meer clip should if I'm not mistaken, ad that ones sold the lowest...but still made more then episode probably cost to produce...
The average cost of an episode is $100,000-300,000 USD an episode. The low $100,000 is more often then not what you'll see from a particularly uninspired-looking episode, so at max I'd put the clips shows around there. The average number of drawings for a low-budget series is about three thousand frames per episode. An animator is paid about $20 USD a drawing. That's roughly (i.e. don't take absolutely solid, I might be missing something) $60,000 of the budget, so an episode made up mostly of stock footage shouldn't cost as much.

The point I'm trying to make is, yeah, the volumes with clips shows might very well have made even more money. Even when you factor in the production costs of the DVDs and packages as well as repaying the production committee you're still looking at everyone making a whole lot of money.
She/Her
monster

Amion wrote:Also, Cagalli not snapping back at Lunamaria is really out of her previous character. Deconstruction has begun. :evil:
A government leader not snapping at a mere soldier for questioning why/how she's in another country's mobile suit/ship? That's a good thing. It shows some restraint/maturity on Cagalli's part. Beside, she's supposed to be injured, and the last episode shows that she can still blurt out her opinions on matters that are more important to her.
Silver_August

Okie saw episode 2 and Just gotta point out a few things sthat stood out to me

1. I like that in this episode, Shinn wasn't perfect, he did pretty well for awhile but the Sword Impulse still pretty much lost all tis weapons by the time it was able to transform into the Force form.

On the note of the Force Impulse I really need to ask how parcaitcal is it to fly around in 4 pieces and combine mid combat, I mean really, that seems like it would take up alot of time in the launch bay, plus its not like it ever got new sets of legs or a different torso to warent the puzzle we got going on, just I thought..though endd result is still cool looking.

2. even with the glasses off Athurn can call himself Alex Dino and NO ONE on Zaft recognizes him? the war was only 2 years ago, he was never...pictured anywhere? You'd think being the son of a political figure would have your face be somewhat public...but thats more funny to me then anything.

3. Neo's helmet made me try to imagine a real life military taking a guy wearing a mask seriously.. let alone letting you conceal your identity on military space...just another thing that made me giggle.

4. OMG wow I did not remember the monologues for the episode previews being....THAT! Oh boy, thank goodness that trend died, lol
monster

Silver_August wrote:its not like it ever got new sets of legs or a different torso
What do you mean by that? Everything but the Core Splendor can be replaced.
Strike Zero

Silver_August wrote:On the note of the Force Impulse I really need to ask how parcaitcal is it to fly around in 4 pieces and combine mid combat, I mean really, that seems like it would take up alot of time in the launch bay, plus its not like it ever got new sets of legs or a different torso to warent the puzzle we got going on, just I thought..though endd result is still cool looking.
Take it up with the original progenitor of that crap. :P Though, it's worth noting that he'll be putting the combination system to some very good use later.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Amion

I was under the impression that the RX-78 was not the first mecha to do this. Weren't there other mecha shows out there at that time or around it that used combination systems? Then again, I suppose none of them actually were only parts to a single machine.

At Monster's post, Well, I suppose you have a point. However, she could have still stated who she was. I guess I'm just searching for the point where she simply breaks.

And lets see, as far as Core Block systems go, I wish we'd see some more use like in V, where that system was truly allowed to shine.

Man, what is up with my V Gundam posts these days? I keep finding ways to bring it up, and it isn't even one of my favorites. All well, it is true though, ramming your core parts into a powerful MS works.
Silver_August

The grand-daddy i'll give a pass because that's the orginal, and late 70s and it was the one that practically invented Real-Robot. Besides back in the day studios were all trying to one-up each other with flashy cool transformation sequences that also eat up a minute of air time, just look up Daimos from Starbirds, lol

With Impulse I just find it amusing and a bit of a missed importunity where well... instead of jsut a different back-Pack attachment, it comes with a different set of legs too or something more suited for weilding swords or flinging boomerangs or blasting super cannons. Like for Blast Impulse it could have bulkier legs so he can stay stable when firing its laaaazrrrrs, or missile pods, and more agile legs for sword combat.

........ *suddenly looks over at the AGE-1 Titus and Sparrow*....Ya know, somehow I'd like the idea of fusing the AGE-1/2 and Impulse together and suddenly the flying limbs seemos more practical ...and yeah V Gundam pulled off the system well too.
yazi88

I guess no one remembers Getter Robo and its midair combinations nowadays... Damn I feel old!
monster

Amion wrote:I guess I'm just searching for the point where she simply breaks.
It started the moment Cagalli became Chief Representative of Orb, gained momentum when Athrun left and Yuna talked about marriage, and culminated when Orb soldiers ignored her in battle.

And regardless of what's going on in the real world, within the story itself, Cagalli simply was not prepared to fight and enforce her ideals as a Chief Representative of Orb. It's a different battlefield than what she was used to in SEED.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

^This...I completely agree with. I always thought that Cagalli's arc in destiny, although not great and with defiantly WAY to much crying and whining, made sense. She just was inexperienced and I liked how she eventually became a leader that her father would be proud of.

Also I give her a pass in this episode, since she got a concussion...I mean, I doubt anyone would be confrontational with a head-wound like that.
Silver_August wrote:

2. even with the glasses off Athurn can call himself Alex Dino and NO ONE on Zaft recognizes him? the war was only 2 years ago, he was never...pictured anywhere? You'd think being the son of a political figure would have your face be somewhat public...but thats more funny to me then anything.

3. Neo's helmet made me try to imagine a real life military taking a guy wearing a mask seriously.. let alone letting you conceal your identity on military space...just another thing that made me giggle.

4. OMG wow I did not remember the monologues for the episode previews being....THAT! Oh boy, thank goodness that trend died, lol

Athrun, although he is famous, seeing someone on TV and seeing them in real-life are two different things. And I guess with everything going on, the soldiers weren't really thinking that they would run into a famous war hero on the Minerva.

As for the masked villain...well...tell that to Char...I used to think it was silly, but then I just kinda got used to it.

Lol I love the monologues, they are so cheesy it makes me giggle. :) LIFT OFFF AT FULLL THRUST MINNERRVVAA!!!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Arbiter GUNDAM

monster wrote:
Amion wrote:Also, Cagalli not snapping back at Lunamaria is really out of her previous character. Deconstruction has begun. :evil:
A government leader not snapping at a mere soldier for questioning why/how she's in another country's mobile suit/ship? That's a good thing. It shows some restraint/maturity on Cagalli's part. Beside, she's supposed to be injured, and the last episode shows that she can still blurt out her opinions on matters that are more important to her.
Well hey, Princess Leia had no qualms about arguing with Han in public. :D
Soma Taozi wrote:This...I completely agree with. I always thought that Cagalli's arc in destiny, although not great and with defiantly WAY to much crying and whining, made sense. She just was inexperienced and I liked how she eventually became a leader that her father would be proud of.
Speaking of Leia, yeah that was pretty much how I thought Cagalli would end up in Destiny... boy was I ever wrong.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
monster

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Well hey, Princess Leia had no qualms about arguing with Han in public. :D
Cagalli also argued with Gilbert in public, but that's beside the point.
Speaking of Leia, yeah that was pretty much how I thought Cagalli would end up in Destiny... boy was I ever wrong.
Princess Leia was rebelling against an empire, while Cagalli's problem in Destiny was her own government/military. If you must compare Leia to Cagalli, then she might be comparable to a certain extent to SEED Cagalli or Destiny Cagalli post Takemikazuchi.