Latest movie thread.

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Re: Latest movie thread.

But still, does the black guy in the movies always have to bite it first?
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
ZeonsSilverStar

It sucks but its something I've grown used to over the years. Anyway on the movie front I saw Hanna the other day on On Demand, the start was alittle slow in my opinion but it shaped up to be a decent action movie.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
zabimustdie

Rewatched House of Flying Daggers the other day. I bought it on blu-ray, and omigosh its a beauty! I guess that means I should get Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon on BR as well. Next up is the Protector with Tony Jaa.

Any Kung fu fans out there?
"Where there is no death, there is life." - Ghost in Chronopolis, Chrono Cross
Mu La Flaga

Should have posted sooner but about a week back.
I watched the Incredible Hulk staring Edward Norton and Tim Roth.

It was good and had a decent plot to it.
It puts the Aang Lee Hulk movie to shame I think.

I enjoyed this one a fair bit and it set up for a sequel with the Leader/Samuel Sterns, Abomination not being dead.
And also Doc Samson was in the movie, which seemed weirdly casted as the dad from Modern Family.
Mu La Flaga

Saw Ghost Rider: Spirits of Vengeance.
It was good and it surprised me a little, it was better then the first movie.
Had some interesting ideas and had cameo roles from Anthony Head and Christopher Lambert.
I wont spoil the plot, but it does involve Ghost Rider changing for the better at the end.
Flame-X

I saw Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and it's actually pretty good! My expectations were very low when I first saw the trailers but I really enjoyed the movie overall. Just don't watch it in 3D.
SlowTurtle

Saw Brave last weekend and must say Pixer always out dose itself everytime.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
tHeWasTeDYouTh

SlowTurtle wrote:Saw Brave last weekend and must say Pixer always out dose itself everytime.
saw it with my gf, pretty ok

at the start of the movies they have some short film about some italians cleaning the moon from stars that land

I was like wtf when is this going to start
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Antares

Hunger Games. Predictable and a less gruesome version of Battle Royale with some features it thought up for itself to avoid being labelled as a copy. I suppose it was OK, but as I said it was predictable (since I knew there would be sequels) and since it dedicated so much time to the set-up, I felt disappointed that the society they lived in was still left unexplained (for me). It was too long, too, but shortened more I guess the fans of the books would've thrown a fit. Watchable but nothing to remember afterwards.

Then I watched Battleship. My lord, what fun. Had all the possible cliches I would associate with a movie of that nature. Mighty nice of Hollywood to make a silly sci-fi ad for the US navy. :mrgreen: Still, it was entertaining in its popcorn-for-brains -approach, and I honestly can't demand it to be anything else. Won't watch it again, though, unless to punish someone who hadn't seen it. :D

Finally, a CGI Starship Troopers - Invasion that was OK watching, aside from pretty much everything that happened after the wormhole-scene. I like the idea that this concept is being kept alive; the first movie is still a solid piece of work in its own genre (and one of those cases where I'm willing to state outright that the movie outdoes the book it is based on). Director of Appleseed was taken aboard for this project, and what would've made it just a bit better would've been more thought-out writing for the last 30 minutes.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
zerogradius

I saw Premium Rush and Ted. The latter was what I expected it to be, but Premium Rush surprised me. It was a lot better than I expected and had me engaged throughout.
Dark Duel

Benefit of the Doubt, with Tom Selleck.
Loved that movie. Then again, I think I've liked all of the Jesse Stone movies.
I also rewatched Iron Man 2, which I think is still my favorite of the pre-Avengers MCU flicks(with Captain America coming in a close second)
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
halo1000

Saw Dredd last night, completely different to the cheesy Stallone version and an all round fun flick. The 3d was very well done too.
zerogradius

I saw Bourne Legacy today. Action was great, not too sure about the plot, though.
Wellman

Saw Looper, good film, pretty cerebral with its story at times as expected with time travel but overall good action and classic themes are well presented.

Definitely a good movie if you want to have conversations about with dates or friends after seeing it.
Dark Duel

Saw Trouble with the Curve a few days ago. It was a pretty great movie, as expected. Nice to see a movie where Eastwood neither shoots anybody nor gets shot himself.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Then I recommend watching the Bridges of Madison County next, or maybe Play Misty for Me.

I've watched the Street Fighter II anime movie yesterday and I'm currently watching SF Alpha.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Toxicity

Watched Starship Troopers Invasion and The Dictator tonight. I found both of them to be pretty meh. The former's CGI was pretty good, but the story pretty unoriginal in my opinion. The biggest question I had was how on earth the bugs even got on that space station to begin with. The dialogue says that that Jenkins found the queen there, thus I don't think that the bugs were brought there by the humans as part of his experiment, so are the bugs capable of space travel on their own somehow?

As for the latter, who doesn't like endless racial and sexist jokes, political satire, and full frontal male nudity? :P
zerogradius

I saw The Possession and Resident Evil Retribution today. The Possession was okay, but failed to scare me in the slightest (though to be honest, most horror movies can't perturb me one bit). I loved Resident Evil, it had some of the best fight scenes you'll see in a movie today, and was defintely pretty to look at. The plot left a lot to be desired, as well as some of the acting (Leon and Barry were shells of their video game counterparts). Ada was portrayed decently enough, though.
Antares

@Toxicity: Yeah those were some of the gripes if one looked at the plot of Invasion with a critical eye. Apparently spaceships spawn endless bugs. :D

I'm quite steamed that Dredd 3D is being held up by our stupid bureaucrats who're fighting with the distributor about the age limit to slap on that sucker. That and Looper and the movies that are must-see for me this fall.

Watched Cabin In The Woods, and I have to hand it to Wheedon, the movie at least wasn't predictable. The more I think about it in retrospect, the more I like it. Had a bit of a Lovecraftian vibe to it which I always appreciate.

Also checked out Expendables 2, found it better than the first one because the old geezers no longer tried to take themselves seriously. In the first one it felt like they tried to recreate an 80s hit movie (and failed), this time it was more comedy. Or at least that's how I reacted to it. Man, those geezers are OLD. :mrgreen:
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Kavik Ryx

Saw Robot and Frank a while back, a sweet yet cynical little story about aging and companionship. Frank Langella does an excellent job portraying someone on the edge of dementia and his chemistry with the robot is uncanny. This is a movie that proves just how much effort goes into and how much pathos you can get out of suit acting. The movie makes a point how the relationship between the two in no more than that between a person and their iPhone, but thanks to the the performances of the two and Peter Sarsgaard's voice work, it is easy to forget that, especially as Frank forgets it as well. Anyone who has a chance to see it, take out 90 minutes for it.