Ep. 104 - Consoles and Crossbones

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 104 - Consoles and Crossbones

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 104 - "Consoles and Crossbones"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 154 min., 4 sec. (2:34:04) - 70.5 MB

Join the Conversation about this episode @ Gundamn.net!

Special Guest Host: AmuroNT1 (1st Segment)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:25:16

02. Next Time on Fighters Ready! - "Episode 004: Show 'em tha' Guap, man!" (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:25:16 - 0:26:54

03. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:26:54 - 0:27:44

04. 1st Segment: "Manga Spotlight - 'Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam'" (Review)
Runtime: 0:27:44 - 1:21:19

05. Next Time on Chaos Theater - "Episode 029: Dragon Age" (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:21:19 - 1:22:50

06. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:22:50 - 1:23:29

07. 2nd Segment: "Consoles at the Crossroads: Next Generation Speculation!" (Discussion)
Runtime: 1:23:29 - 2:23:27

08. Second Opinion Games (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:23:27 - 2:24:27

09. I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:24:27 - 2:25:31

10. Outro: "Closing/Soul Bro's Shoutouts?/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:25:31 - 2:34:04

Returning champion & MAHQ staff reviewer, AmuroNT1, joins the discussion as we review the original "Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam" manga! Then, in light of the recent developments at E3, we have an inspired conversation about the next generation of video game consoles!

Also, don't forget to participate in Gundamn Fan Chat! Organized by NastyNate, there are several ways that you can let him know that you want to be a part of the next session:

- Participate in the Gundamn Fan Chat Thread @ Mechatalk.net!
- Become a part of the Gundamn! @ MAHQ Facebook Group!

Make sure to peep their latest pow-wow below!
- Ep. 001 - Favorite Mecha Anime Relationships (The Premiere Episode!)

Want to ask us a question that could be played during a future episode? Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Peep these Podcasts also!:
- Chaos Theater: Ep. 027 - The Films of Pixar (Mechatalk Thread)
- Chaos Theater: Ep. 028 - Torchwood (Mechatalk Thread)
- Fighters Ready!: Ep. 003 - Beauties of the Brain Case! (FightersReady.net Thread)

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music featured in this Episode:
Details coming soon!

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Fighters Ready! - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - Facebook group - Spill - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn

[email protected]

Voicemail Hotline: 305-792-8324
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
yazi88

Re: Ep. 104 - Consoles and Crossbones

There seems to be some sort of echo resonating in this episode. Did you guys have mic/recording problems?
Chris
Administrator

yazi88 wrote:There seems to be some sort of echo resonating in this episode. Did you guys have mic/recording problems?
That unfortunately was due to Amuro's poor internet connection, so nothing could be done about it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
kayone73

Thanks for finally covering Crossbone even though you guys have resisted it for all these years.

I have to thank you guys for setting my expectations fairly low when I finally read the scanlated manga and I echo what was said in the segment. It's mostly pretty fun but also kind of silly and over the top.

Still I can't help want to see the X-bones in action, even if they have to fight against some retarded looking JE MS designs.
Chris
Administrator

kayone73 wrote:Thanks for finally covering Crossbone even though you guys have resisted it for all these years.
It's not that we've resisted doing Crossbone, it's just that we haven't gotten around to it before now. Anime always takes priority in show topics over manga.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
AmuroNT1

Yeah, sorry about the echo issues everyone. As I said to the guys pre-recording, I'm currently out of town helping my aunt, and she has pretty much the bare minimum internet package that Comcast offers, which has been a royal pain in many ways.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
rigthegear

great show!!! i had quick question what was the name of mecha analogy? can someone just me im or reply back i truly be thankful
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Thank you for the episode, gentlemen. My night has been nothing short of devastating, so thank you for doing what little you did to help me get through a few hours of it.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Zeino

Aww, but I liked the Jupiter Empire because of how utterly insane and evil they were which really set them apart from all the other UC villain groups and loved the look of their mecha.
Arbiter GUNDAM

An argument could be made that the Zanscare were pretty damn crazy for wanting to brain-rape everyone on earth.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
NastyNate

I am glad you guys talked about Crossbone I don't know much about it.

Odd hearing you guys talk about video games, but it was a really good segment. I would like to add than when talking about Xbox 360 exclusives you forgot to mention one of their most important ones. The Xbox arcade. They have TONs of Amazing cheap exclusive downloadable arcade games.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Mu La Flaga

^NastyNate: is it really that odd?
I wouldn't call it odd at all considering they obviously have interest in games and have done for a while.
Maybe as in context of Gundamn being a mecha podcast, but hey, I aint complaining.

So don't have too much to say but here goes.
So my article caught Neo's eye which is cool and I scooped Vent Noir on :P
I hope it makes it's way to Australia in time, only thing is the license for Fafner Madman used to have has expired, so they would probably have to renew it.

Fortunately Madman and Funimation have a very good relationship for things.

As for the gaming/E3 related stuff.
I admit I'm skeptical on the Wii U you guys have some points.
However to SBR, I don't have any issue with the friend code system, it is improved from the DS of doing codes per game back then.
Now codes are per 3DS system which makes it better, small step.

The idea of Nintendo being bought up by Disney is pretty interesting idea I would say Chris.
It would mesh well together if Nintendo would ever consider it.

Out of the main 2 I think Sony may potentially do better this time it remains to be seen.

Also on the 3DS XL, Nintendo have now made Circle Pad Pro unusable for the XL model.
I think the 3DS could end up better then the Vita for handhelds.
On another note as Chris it is kind of silly the amount they are charging for Digital Download though

The Vita has some issues and may take a little bit to get going yet, even though I want one.
steeltamashii

Very interesting hearing the Gundamn hosts give their opinion on who they think will be successful in the next generation of video games. I would agree with your opinion about Nintendo, especially when it came to their presentation at E3 this year. As much of a shame as it is, Nintendo is just a shadow of their former selves now, and the bigger shame is that they could possibly reverse it, but they choose not too as they chase after an audience that abandoned supporting the original Wii.

As for Microsoft and Sony, at the moment, I don't think there is a pressing need to upgrade to a next generation console just yet. Both the PS3 and the 360 have the ability to play some pretty technologically powerful games still, and due to the age of recession that has befallen us, I don't think the general gaming audience can drop $400-$500 on a whim for a brand new PS4 or Xbox 720. (Being a PS3 guy I definitely won't drop that kind of money originally especially if the PS4 isn't backward compatible.)
My personal blog: gusteeltamashii.tumblr.com
Watch Gamers Unrated LIVE on Wednesdays @ 3PM Eastern Time at:
www.royalcrownstudios.com/radio!
Also watch past episodes on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/user/GamersUnratedShow
And follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gamersunrated
I am a HUcast. To know what you are take the quiz here.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

steeltamashii wrote:
As for Microsoft and Sony, at the moment, I don't think there is a pressing need to upgrade to a next generation console just yet. Both the PS3 and the 360 have the ability to play some pretty technologically powerful games still, and due to the age of recession that has befallen us, I don't think the general gaming audience can drop $400-$500 on a whim for a brand new PS4 or Xbox 720. (Being a PS3 guy I definitely won't drop that kind of money originally especially if the PS4 isn't backward compatible.)
Really, the 360 requires like 19 discs now for game. Also, I don't think the general gaming audience is as price sensitive as you think. For example, the iPad, most people who bought an iPad can't afford one but they got it day one. The general gaming audience falls into that demographic and mentality.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
yazi88

I personally think Nintendo's marketing is going to be their downfall once again with the way they are handling the 3DS and the Wii U. The Wii U isn't really surprising but the 3DS is cause usually they tend to put more effort but now you can really see a difference between how the DS and 3DS were handled a year after their launch. The 3DS is falling into a bit of a similiar trap that the Wii did: mostly shovelware games, weird ports, and the only thing making even any sort of revenue are the Nintendo 1st party games and even those are mostly ports aside from the usual Mario games. Also make games that appeal to people other than 5-8 year olds.

Would've helped if the the XL 3DS came with a actual 2nd analog rather than a extremely stupid attachment add-on peripheral gimmick.

As for the X-box 360, they really need some 1st party exclusives if they want to keep up instead of relying on the exhausted option of FPSs and Sports games if they wanna reach out for other players with something called diversity in their game line-up instead of just appealing to like what Chris said on Chaos Theater, instead of people that act like racist foul mouthed 9 year olds.

As for Sony, I kinda have a problem with the Vita, as like the 3DS and more so like the PSP, is having problems with marketing and games. Although I'll say that I'm much more excited for the crossplay elements on VITA games with the PS3 like Dragon's Crown, whenever the hell it comes out. Also looking forward to Persona 4 Golden which is the reason I'm going to buy the VITA for along with Ragnarok Odyssey.
Mu La Flaga

yazi88 wrote:I personally think Nintendo's marketing is going to be their downfall once again with the way they are handling the 3DS and the Wii U. The Wii U isn't really surprising but the 3DS is cause usually they tend to put more effort but now you can really see a difference between how the DS and 3DS were handled a year after their launch. The 3DS is falling into a bit of a similiar trap that the Wii did: mostly shovelware games, weird ports, and the only thing making even any sort of revenue are the Nintendo 1st party games and even those are mostly ports aside from the usual Mario games. Also make games that appeal to people other than 5-8 year olds.

Would've helped if the the XL 3DS came with a actual 2nd analog rather than a extremely stupid attachment add-on peripheral gimmick.

As for the X-box 360, they really need some 1st party exclusives if they want to keep up instead of relying on the exhausted option of FPSs and Sports games if they wanna reach out for other players with something called diversity in their game line-up instead of just appealing to like what Chris said on Chaos Theater, instead of people that act like racist foul mouthed 9 year olds.

As for Sony, I kinda have a problem with the Vita, as like the 3DS and more so like the PSP, is having problems with marketing and games. Although I'll say that I'm much more excited for the crossplay elements on VITA games with the PS3 like Dragon's Crown, whenever the hell it comes out. Also looking forward to Persona 4 Golden which is the reason I'm going to buy the VITA for along with Ragnarok Odyssey.
Yazi I'm going to disagree on the games line up for 3DS.

Some of those games are stupid shovelware but the variety is decent now.

The E-Shop on the other hand is another story altogether.
I am annoyed when 90% of the time I log in once a week or so to check in and find the new adds for DSI Ware are usually shovelware games not interested in.
yazi88

I guess you are right about the line for the 3DS now, but I really can't find anything that might interest me aside from 1st party Nintendo IPs. Plus I don't see anything resembling a decent game coming out in the US anytime soon aside from maybe Code Princess and the obligatory Kingdom Hearts side story game.
Mu La Flaga

Well more stuff is bound to come out, the line up is better then when I first got my one.
(which was after the price drop btw)
steeltamashii

hawk of endymion wrote: Really, the 360 requires like 19 discs now for game. Also, I don't think the general gaming audience is as price sensitive as you think. For example, the iPad, most people who bought an iPad can't afford one but they got it day one. The general gaming audience falls into that demographic and mentality.
It's true that the general gaming audience isn't extremely price sensitive (and has been known to spend exuberant amounts of money for the newest games and consoles), but at the same time I think a new console would probably sell a lot better at say $299 rather than $599. Sure, if they really want it they can save up for it, but I don't know many people that would just drop $500 on a new console, especially if said console is not backward compatible with the games on the previous machine. (The iPad 2 and 3 were still compatible with the past apps and games on their previous incarnation, so you didn't have to pay for completely new apps as soon as you got the new model) Not to mention the 360 and PS3 still sell like hotcakes, so i don't think Microsoft and Sony are under as much pressure to release a new machine as much as Nintendo is. As for the 19 discs per game, I can't really speak on that since do not own a 360.
My personal blog: gusteeltamashii.tumblr.com
Watch Gamers Unrated LIVE on Wednesdays @ 3PM Eastern Time at:
www.royalcrownstudios.com/radio!
Also watch past episodes on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/user/GamersUnratedShow
And follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gamersunrated
I am a HUcast. To know what you are take the quiz here.