Dark Duel's Shop-Fu and assorted artsy stuff

The place to share your artwork.
Dark Duel

Re: Dark Duel's Shop-Fu and assorted artsy stuff

Ahem. Quite some time ago I got a request from a friend of mine to create a customized Minerva-class with added weapons - he wanted a third Tristan mounted in place of the central catapult and a rear-facing cannon on the rear deck behind the bridge. This was the result, although he'd asked for an alternate color scheme.
Anyway, today I was bored and I was pondering some minor modifications to the Minerva as it appears in that GSD rewrite I've already mentioned, and I thought about using that.
But the truth is, I wasn't terribly happy with how it came out, so I revisited the concept and tweaked it just a bit.
This was the result. Personally I'm much happier with this one, but as always I'm open to feedback.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Arbiter GUNDAM

Is that a rear-firing Isolde you have on there?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Dark Duel

YES IT IS. One critical weakness of the Minerva is its absolute lack of any weapon that can effectively cover its stern other than CIWS and possibly missiles, making it incredibly vulnerable to attack from behind. Problem solved.

Speaking of tweaking CE ships, next up is the Girty Lue, which has one of its pair of Gottfrieds relocated to the stern, where their location allows them to face to the rear, thus addressing the same issue. I also put something else in the spot once occupied by those Gottfrieds on its bow :twisted:
Note than in my version I don't use the name "Girty Lue", which sounds silly. I used the name of the one from Stargazer instead, Nana Buluku. And here's the second ship of the line, the Alakhshya.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Dark Duel

Well, I've been giving a lot of attention to ZAFT and the Alliance with regards to alternate machines from my Destiny rewrite, so I figured it was time to give Orb some love, this time with two mobile suits:
First, the MBF-M1A/F M1 Astray Flight Type. Inspired by Red Frame's Flight Pack from Astray, it replaces that rather silly-looking giant rotor they tacked on in canon with something a little more streamlined.

Next, it never made sense to me why a nation that is built on a bunch of tiny islands never had a mobile suit capable of underwater combat. Ergo, the MBF-M1/LC Astray Littoral Combat Type, which is designed to operate principally in the shallower waters around Orb itself. Essentially it's Essentially an M1 with a redesigned head to incorporate underwater sensors, a reinforced pressure hull in the torso to protect the cockpit, and a backpack designed for underwater propulsion and incorporating a scale system to increase underwater mobility. Obviously, the inspiration here is Blue Frame's Scale System equipment :P .

Thoughts?

zerg170

the m1 looks loot beter whit the red frame Flight Pack than the rotor pack
Dark Duel

It does, doesn't it?
Anyway, next up is a mod of my personal favorite of the three "RGX" units from Destiny, addressing what I think is its main weakness: its inability to fly in Earth's atmosphere.
So yeah, here's that.
Quadruped mode is going to be trickier, but I'll see about getting that done too.
Of course, this machine - which as yet has neither a designation code nor a name - is slated to appear in the final third or so of my GSD rewrite, some time after the Gaia is recaptured by ZAFT (Guess who the pilot is).

EDIT: Here it is.
Not entirely happy with how quadruped mode turned out, but it's the best I could do with what source material I could find.

EDIT2: Slightly different pic, this time with the wings folded back in quadruped mode; Slightly happier with how this one turned out; corrected a slight color error in the new backpack components and brightened the highlights while I was at it.
And here it is.

As always, feedback is appreciated.

Scorpio[pt]

nice work on Gaia
Don't take life too seriously.....no-one's getting out alive.
Dark Duel

Thanks. It irritated me that it was incapable of flight, which made it nearly useless on Earth. So in my GSD Rewrite (of which I've written two chapters, plus a short prologue), once it's recovered by the Minerva it gets a refit that gives it atmospheric flight capability in both MS and quadruped mode.

What do you think of the others; the modded Minerva and GL, the new Astrays, or the Gells-Ghe I did a while back?

While I'm at it, I actually made some modifications to the Blu Duel as well. Not sure whether to have that be an upgrade too or simply replace the canon version with this variant. Probably I'll go with the latter.
Right now it's a WIP - the armament hasn't been decided yet, and there are a few other mods I'm thinking of making. But I'm curious what you think.

tehprognoob

Well, Gaia Quad Mode's (Is that a fatum pack, lol?) left (from the viewer's perspective) wing's thruster is raised at an awkward angle, but it was a franken so I suppose it couldn't be helped.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Haruma

Try the Original Fatum Subflight lifter!
zerg170

hey Dark Duel zerg170 here, you know the MVF-M11C Murasame whit the GM styiled head you made for me , well culde i get it in these colors http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/File:Msz-006a1.jpg in ms and ma modes pleas.
Dark Duel

This ain't a request thread, zerg. This is just a repository for me to put my stuff.
But since you ask, here you go.

For future reference, I'm no longer accepting art requests.

tehprognoob

Z+ A1? 8U

Dark Duel

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6041/age2ms.png
Not really much to say; I've always felt Wolf's MS could've used just a tad more color - little bit of red, like on his duds. I felt the same about the AGE-2 Normal in the Ep28 preview.
This is the result.

Dark Duel

NEW ART-FU!
This time it's my GSD rewrite's version of the Chaos
As anyone who's read my fic should know, the Chaos in this version is a mobile armor, not a transformable mobile suit. And in addition to four Gunbarrels, it's armed with a pair of linear cannons(I used the Chaos's beam rifle because the Exus's linear cannons didn't work out)
So yeah, that's more or less what that would look like; took me most of the afternoon, but I'm glad it's done!

tehprognoob

The integration seems fairly smooth.

Dark Duel

Thank you. And on the same subject, here's the latest bit: The ZGMF-2000 GOUF Ignited, which still appears in my story, albeit with a few small changes made:
ZGMF-X2000/1 GOUF Ignited Prototype Unit 1 (Heine Westenfluss Custom)
ZGMF-X2000/2 GOUF Ignited Prototype Unit 2 (Yzak Jule Custom)
ZGMF-2000 GOUF Ignited Mass Production Type
A couple of things to note here; First, since it's basically a more successful version of the Gouf Flight Type, I opted to give the mass-production model a paint scheme more reminescent of that mobile suit instead of the blue used in the original, which was an homage to the original Gouf.
Second, I retained the blue GOUF Ignited, but instead made it one of two prototype units and assigned it to Yzak - since it's basically the same paint scheme as his ZAKU.
Third, I am entirely eliminating the obese Hambrabi wannabe from the roster for my version of the story. Now, the observant might notice that I made a few minor aesthetic changes to the GOUF Ignited posted above - taking a few parts from the aforementioned BABI - the vents on the torso, and the side panels of the waist.
The reason for that is two-fold. One, because I think it's cooler-looking. Second, because it addresses the one major flaw IMO of the GOUF Ignited, which is its total lack of a proper long-range weapon - it only has the dinky beam guns on its arms, which are a medium-range weapon at best. Solution: I give it the beam rifle used by the eliminated BABI, with the gunlauncher available as an optional weapon - stored on hardpoints on the waist.
Next time...well, we'll see.

Dark Duel

Those who've been reading my fanfic may recall from Chapter 2 that "Alex Dino" piloted a custom red Murasame.
Well, there's lineart for it on the relevant wikia page, but I can also simply post them here:

Alex Dino Custom MVF-M11C Murasame (Mobile Suit Mode)
Alex Dino Custom MVF-M11C Murasame (Flight Mode)

Dark Duel

Got a little something I'm pondering using in the aforementioned fic, just wanted some opinions.
Basically, it's a minor upgrade to the Force Impulse, aimed at making it an all-around better performing mobile suit by increasing its ranged and melee combat capabilities, and also adds one new piece of technology.
IF used, it would be introduced shortly after the Destroy Gundam incident, and continue to appear through the story's end.
Anyway here it is:
Version 1
Version 2

Dark Duel

random custom Duel fanart
hand-drawn, then scanned and colored in photoshop.
EDIT: And an old pic/minor shop of Mudie for a GSD/SG prequel fic I was going to write but never did. Found it while digging through my external for my old Stargazer screencaps, and cleaned it up a bit.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.