Iron Sky (space nazis!)

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Antares

Iron Sky (space nazis!)

I thought it might be somewhat relevant to post about this movie. For one, they're the guys who made Star Wreck - In the Pirkinning a few years ago, and now they're back with a movie about nazis from the dark side of the moon.

Official trailer.

They got a professional cast together this time, and the effect look Hollywood-grade to me. Of course it's silly, it's a comedy, but a sci-fi comedy. Special bonus is the Sarah Palinesque POTUS. :)

They are aiming for global distribution so it might come States-side later this Spring.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
kayone73

Re: Iron Sky (space nazis!)

I've been following this since the first teaser trailer came out a few years ago, very excited to see this, especially since it's more a satire than straight sci-fi
Heron

This will drive conspiracy theorist's crazy, seeing a well documented account of Nazi scientists building secret space weapon technology being taken as a 'fresh' idea by some Hollywood style movie.
Ouroboric

Well the Nazi's were trying to develop ufo's,lazer's and other odd technologies that they were getting inspiration for from ancient texts, some even believed that the Aryan people were actually descendents from Aliens, so this could serve as a "what if they succeeded". This looks cool, though I find the reality of what they were trying to do more interesting than any fictitious account of it.
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
Antares

@Ouroboric: You mean the way the financed it? That's true, in a way the movie has been a pioneer in crowd-sourcing financing, which is valuable information for other would-be filmmakers from small countries with small budgets. And that the project is still believable enough to attract professional actors.

The only real critique the movie itself I've seen is that the plot is a bit shallow and the jokes repetitive (or old), given the long time the movie has been in production. Since Iron Sky tries to be a "serious" movie in the sense that they've made it as a real effort, vague plot can't be excused anymore (whereas in In the Pirkinning amateur acting and sloppy scripting can be overlooked).
Ouroboric

I meant the reality of what the Nazi's were trying to do as far as developing these kind of science fiction/esoteric based technologies. Though i did'nt know about the financing part, that is quite interesting as well.
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
DAG101

The thing that bugged me was that they took the concept and seemed to make it a comedy, when I would have bought it as a somewhat cheesy-looking but serious '50's throwback dieselpunk-ish film (like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow). At least, according to the trailer, idk about the actual film
Antares

As I recall most of the Nazi tech is supposed to be quite retro at least in design, aside from the anti-gravity mechanics. But yeah it is a comedy first and foremost.
Antares

So I've seen it now. It was better than expected; jokes had weathered the long production time. Instead grinning sillily throughout, I actually laughed out loud at times. Coming from me, that is not a bad endorsement.

German cast was fairly good and lent a certain feel of authenticity by speaking German (to moon nazis, yes, I know). Most of the English-speaking cast was done by Aussies, including the Palin-like POTUS with a southern-drawl.

The CGI, as expected, was very good. Plot was... well, space nazis. You could see the low production budget (still really big in Finnish standards, though), but this was somewhat of a B-movie so that's OK. One gripe would be the inconsistency of the humor, ranging from popular culture references and absurd slapstick to political satire. It didn't bother me as I watched it, but in retrospect that's a valid critique. On the political satire, I think some Americans in particular will either find amusing, or horrendously slandering. I daresay the line can be drawn along party-lines. ;)
Ended with an homage to Dr. Strangelove, if I got it right.

But hey, if you have a chance, check it out. The international release dates are available here: http://www.ironsky.net/site/film/releasedates/
kayone73

Did Samuli Torssonen have a cameo role in the film or did he stay entirely behind the camera in this production?

Samuli Torssonen was the guy who portray 'Capt Pirk' in the Star Wreck series btw as well as being one of the exec producers for this movie
Antares

This time Samuli did well not to appear on camera. :D It's possible that he might appear in a frame or two, but if he did then at least I missed it.

While his performance as Pirk was doable in Star Wreck given the film's amateur-attitude, Iron Sky was intended as a seriously done movie (with an actual budget and actual actors) about a less than serious topic. As such, Torssonen (or Törssönen to Scandinavians) did exec producing and headed the CGI team for Iron Sky.
kayone73

Antares wrote:This time Samuli did well not to appear on camera. :D It's possible that he might appear in a frame or two, but if he did then at least I missed it.

While his performance as Pirk was doable in Star Wreck given the film's amateur-attitude, Iron Sky was intended as a seriously done movie (with an actual budget and actual actors) about a less than serious topic. As such, Torssonen (or Törssönen to Scandinavians) did exec producing and headed the CGI team for Iron Sky.
That's fine, I was just curious if he did some Hitchcock-esque cameo. I personally don't think his acting talent would have earned whatever the Finnish equivalent of the Oscar awards are :lol:
Antares

That would the Jussi. And no, he won't be having any of that. :D

But instead we got Julia Dietze, which I thought was a vast improvement. ;)
schwarz ritter

One of the funniest films I've ever seen. And Julia Dietze is the hottest German ever. Period.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Antares

Just out of curiosity, Ritter, if you're from the States, you didn't find the political satire a bit overbearing? :mrgreen:
schwarz ritter

I'm actually from Spain, for one. Second, why would I find it overbearing?

BTW, I love Finland.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Antares

Ah, OK, I was just curious about where you had seen it, since it UK/US releasing turned out to be more tricky than the producers thought... Luckily the Blu-Ray and DVD are out no for pre-order.

On the overbearing-ness, I found it borderline but amusing, but I would guess not all Americans would agree. Since it's politics, I won't get into it any deeper.

Love Finland? But of course! What is there not to love about us? Like our simply constructed language? :mrgreen:
schwarz ritter

We'll talk about Finland in PMs :mrgreen: One thing I do love, is Tarja Turunnen.

Huh, that just sucks. Seriously. I won't get deeper into what I think is the reason why the movie most likely got "tricky" releases in the Americas, but you might get the idea...
4XS

There will be no release issues if this were an anime, because we get used to how anime are weird. This does look like an awesome movie.
kayone73

schwarz ritter wrote:We'll talk about Finland in PMs :mrgreen: One thing I do love, is Tarja Turunnen.

Huh, that just sucks. Seriously. I won't get deeper into what I think is the reason why the movie most likely got "tricky" releases in the Americas, but you might get the idea...
I think the very nazi and Sarah Plain'esque themes are pretty obvious reasons. People in general in this country are pretty stupid and much would be taken far too seriously.