What game/s are you progressing with?(post in here!)

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Mickeymac92

Re: What game/s are you progressing with?(post in here!)

I've been going back and forth between 7 different MMOs for a while, as well as playing a bit of Phantasy Star Zero. Now I've picked up .hack//Infection and I'm loving it. It's like the best MMO to never hit the net. The combat is a bit repetetive, but it works just fine and is better than some of the games I have been playing. I love being able to mess with and explore the different fields, and I could spend hours just trading with the other "players". The story and characters are at least interesting enough to continue with the adventure. Last I played my BlackRose and I leveled up 4 times in one long dungeon, and I'm still on the lower level fields!
Mu La Flaga

Going on with Mario 3D Land at the moment, almost done with it also.
Will move on to SRW Z2.1 in preparation for the release of Z2.2
Sleepneeded127

playing DC Universe Online mostly now. currently just grinding out gear for my hero
Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator.
SlowTurtle

Working on Soul Calibur V and Final Fantasy XIII-2, nothing in the pipe line until march when Mass Effect 3 comes out.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
brunoafh

I just started Super Robot Taisen Alpha for Dreamcast. It's good, but oh my god the visuals are dreadful. The loading times are pretty rough too, and I'm not using a bootleg. Think I might switch over to Shin Super Robot Taisen to tide me over till April.
Cage

Just cleared one route of Zone of The Enders: The Fist of Mars today.
~ ##
zabimustdie

@Cage I love that game! I played it at my friend's house with that thing that lets you play GC games on a regular tv. I'm not much of a portable gamer.
"Where there is no death, there is life." - Ghost in Chronopolis, Chrono Cross
Arbiter GUNDAM

Finally reached the end of Mass Effect 3. It was a long way... but I got there in the end. But... for everyone else who gets there too... steel yourself.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Vent Noir

I don't have Mass Effect 3 yet, but a friend of mine wrote up a review that I'd like to share with the rest of you:
Spoiler
StorminNorman wrote: Roger Ebert is wrong.

I don’t say this easily. Ebert’s knowledge of film, and his lengthy career as a critic of film are second to none, and I have a lot of respect for the man.

But he is wrong.

When he says that video games can’t be an artistic form, he says it with all that knowledge, and all that experience behind him. He says it because he genuinely believes he knows what he is talking about.

But still, he is wrong.

How can a man who should know art, particularly the visual art of film, believe that video games can’t tell a story in the same way that film can? How can he claim that interactivity ruins the artistic vision of the original creators?

He can claim it, but he is wrong.

I began to think about Ebert’s opinions of gaming as I was playing Mass Effect 3, and I began to understand something that I believe he has missed. Interactivity, on its own, does not, and cannot, kill the creative vision of a video game.

In fact, it merely serves to enhance it.

I try, as I play Mass Effect 3, to imagine what it would be like if it were a movie. It’s not an uncommon thing to do, as many video games— as well as those who make them— seek validation by being compared to (or even made into) films. I think this is a real shame, because it misses the point of being a game. It misses the fact that games can do something that films never can.

A video game, unlike a film, can provide a completely unique experience for every single person who plays it. It can create a much more personal attachment and affection for the characters and story presented within it.

In a movie, we are the passive viewer, forced to see the film entirely through the eyes of the director. The story unfolds in a single, linear fashion without any input from us at all. The experience is the same, no matter who you are.

In a game, however, the viewer actively takes part in the story. It unfolds through our actions in the game, and allows us to connect more intimately with the characters and setting. As a medium for creative vision, it is vastly superior to film.

As a film, I think Mass Effect 3 (and the two games it is the sequel to) would be a failure. The story is, by itself, a pretty standard fight-against-all-odds story of the kind that tended to be popular in 1980s action movies. While the characters and action set-pieces are cool enough on their own, I don’t really think they stick out enough to be ranked above, say, the Star Wars trilogy.

But as a game, Mass Effect 3 succeeds far beyond the bounds of any film. Because it is a game, Mass Effect 3 can put us right there into the incredibly well-realised world. We can take our time to absorb the amazing locations that have been created for us. We can wander about the Citadel’s Presidium, taking in its glorious high-tech beauty and wondering if we’ll ever get to see a place like it in our lifetimes. We can explore the lush world of Sur’Kesh, home to the reptilian Salarians, or the ruins of Tuchanka, home to the proud warrior race of the Krogan. We can see these places in a way that a movie never would allow us to.

When I finished the first Mass Effect, I would say to anyone who listened that it was one of the best pieces of science fiction I’d ever experienced. Not just a game, but a movie or a book as well. The sequel only reaffirmed my belief, and now, having finished Mass Effect 3, I am firmly convinced that this should stand up there among all the classics of the genre.

In a just world, it would be the Star Wars of this generation. A cornerstone for science fiction, held up by fans the world over as something to be proud of. Sadly, the fluid nature of technology, and the fact that people tend to be unwilling to look upon a video game as something culturally significant despite the fact that video game sales have been outperforming movie sales for the better part of a decade now.

The important point, and the one that Ebert will always miss, is that the personalisation and customisation, along with the game’s ability to create an individualised story for each of us, is what makes it succeed as an artistic form. The director’s intentions are not compromised because the director intended for us to have these experiences on our own. As we work our way through the game, we make choices, and we play an individualised, customised character. Everything we do is something that has been allowed by the director, yet at the same time, there are other choices we could take, none of which affect the overall direction of the game, because that’s not the point.

At one point during my playthrough of Mass Effect 3, I opened the door to the Normandy’s battery, and discovered two characters kissing each other. In a lot of ways, this was a throwaway moment that would be easy for most players to miss. In fact, given that both these characters can be romantically linked to Shepard, some players will likely never see it at all.

But I did see it. What made it all the more significant for me, was that these two characters (Garrus and Tali if you must know) had been my “ground team” since I first acquired them in Mass Effect 1. I’d chosen to take them with me on almost every mission unless they were otherwise unavailable. The three of us were together on Virmire, we took down a rogue AI together on the moon, Garrus and I saved Tali when she was stranded at an archaeological dig, and Tali was with us when Garrus confronted the man who betrayed him.

All these experiences meant that the moment I found them kissing each other in the ship’s battery, I couldn’t help feel a sense of pride. I’d given them those opportunities, I’d allowed them to share all these experiences and, in the background, while I was off chasing british-accented skirt and setting up an AI and a pilot on the very same ship, the two decided they wanted to be together.

I couldn’t have been happier for them.

8/10.
+2 if you play solely for the story
-3 if you play on PC and have to deal with Origin
+1 if you got to have hot shower sex
-1 because James Vega is in the wrong game.
+2 for the very, very cool ending.
+1 for making Joker a brilliant character.
+1 for Buzz Aldrin
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
YokozunaBulldozer

Continuing quest hunting and parts hunting on Danball Senki BOOST. For some reason the grinding in this game is enjoyable.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
blind_dead_mcjones

currently venting with outrage over mass effect 3's excuse for an ending, moreso given a) how good the rest of the game was and b) that bioware was rather quick to try and placate those unhappy with the ending by saying 'we have DLC in the works for an alternate
Spoiler
happier, less bleak and unambiguous.
ending, which leads me to think (being reminded of what happened with fallout 3) that this was done on purpose.

i'm going to stop typing now before i launch into a full fledged rant
Flag Fighter for life!
Katan

blind_dead_mcjones wrote:currently venting with outrage over mass effect 3's excuse for an ending, moreso given a) how good the rest of the game was and b) that bioware was rather quick to try and placate those unhappy with the ending by saying 'we have DLC in the works for an alternate
Spoiler
ending, which leads me to think (being reminded of what happened with fallout 3) that this was done on purpose.

yeah i think the same they did this on purpose :/

currently iam playing SRWZ 2.1 iam almost done with my first playthrough just playing with realtype units, but finish all the bosses with gurren laganns giga drill breaker 8)
next playtrough i will use the super robot types and king gainer i really like the design
DAG101

blind_dead_mcjones wrote:currently venting with outrage over mass effect 3's excuse for an ending, moreso given a) how good the rest of the game was and b) that bioware was rather quick to try and placate those unhappy with the ending by saying 'we have DLC in the works for an alternate
Spoiler

Considering that they said that they INTENDED the ending (never played the game yet, so idk what it is) to be what it was, and the additional DLC thing was only decided on after they realized that what mattered was what players thought of the game, not the critics, or their writers.
J-Lead

Don't get me started on the ME3 ending and Bioware's shamelessness about it, because I will never fucking stop.

In any case, I've been playing through Assassin's Creed Revelations and just started S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat with the Misery mod installed. Holy fuck, this shit is terrifyingly hard...
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
J-Lead

Don't get me started on the ME3 ending and Bioware's shamelessness about it, because I will never fucking stop.

In any case, I've been playing through Assassin's Creed Revelations and just started S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat with the Misery mod installed. Holy fuck, this shit is terrifyingly hard...
Yazan Gable

I didn't have the common feeling of outrage toward the ending. It was a hidden happy ending, although I understood that people wanted to see the immediate aftermath of all their decisions throughout the trilogy play out in the ending. I didn't see it as being out-of-nowhere as many did.

I've been chugging along in Super Robot Wars MX Portable, using MNeidengard's helpful, but typo-filled, story walkthrough of the game. Currently on Scenario 8-1, beginning with Operation Downfall from RahXephon. I've also been playing Super Robot Wars Z without a guide (Setsuko doesn't have one, as far as I know), using only Akurasu's charts to acquire my Four Murasames and Sara Zabiarovs. Made it to Scenario 57 and am in the process of trying to kill the SP targets quickly, although it looks like it'll be very close. Continuing to play both SRW games makes me want to get into making translation patches more and more, but I'm still learning Japanese at a low level.
I'm going to violate you.
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

J-Lead wrote:Don't get me started on the ME3 ending and Bioware's shamelessness about it, because I will never ZOINKS stop.
I'm with you there. and the thing is, it's not even about it not being the "ending I wanted" or what not. rather it's because it was so....poorly written and 90% of it feels like it was written for a different game altogether. It throws logic to the curb multiple times (and not in the awesome way) and just completely failed to utilize anything...

Though If you subscribe to the indoctrination theory that's sprouted up since the game came out ...well then it makes much much more sense and leaves you thinking "Holy fuck Bioware!" because it would provide one hell of a screwball to the fans and the general outrage about the ending.

...of course then it means we got more content down the line before we actually get an actual ending.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
YokozunaBulldozer

Bioshock
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Mu La Flaga

Playing SRWZ 2.2 last 2-3 days so far most of the time.
J-Lead

About 70 or so hours into The Witcher.

Holy dolby, the voice acting in this game is comic gold.