Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

Hey gentlemen.
I return with yet another mailbag entry once again with yet more questions.
Got 3 instead of 2, hope you don't mind with the mailbag so low on entries somehow.

1.Have either of you seen the Sherlock Holmes movies starring Robert Downey Jr as Holmes and Jude Law as Watson?
If yes what are your thoughts on them?

I did not see the first movie of this series, but I did recently see "A Game of Shadows"
It was interesting to see them introduce Holmes arch enemy Professor Moriarty and someone who can rival Holmes in intelligence and deducing things.
It also had some good action scenes and fights, I think the movies are a good spin on the old story of Sherlock Holmes.

2.Are you in to magical girl fighting anime series or not as much?
Examples of ones I have seen and enjoyed that come to mind Steel Angel Kurumi, Mahoromatic and Sekirei.
Sometimes some of them can be hit or miss and I like seeing battles with fists and feet.
Rather then using say weapons or stuff like alternatively Strike Witches.

I like to see fights where blows mean something godly ala DBZ like/esque(which I would say my examples kind of have that)

3.Since you guys both like Black Lagoon, I would like to recommend Mezzo DSA.
Have either of your heard of it?
If no it's a series about a trio team that do hired work like courier jobs of items or protect a person ect.
It also has a kick ass female lead simillarly, lots of gunplay.
If yes don't need to explain it.

That is all I've got.

You guys devoured all the mailbag entries :P
And Pedro, may I ask, WHAT was the post show artwork thing you brain raped Chris over?

Thanks guys, keep up the entertaining works/podcasts.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Dear Chaos Theater,

I was just wondering if you've ever noticed in the stuff you watch a trope of "long lost childhood friend turns into long lost love?"
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Proteus

Hello Chaos Theater crew,

To Chris, I know you, Neo and Captain Capcom is a big fan of Battlestar Galactica. So have you guys played the Battlestar Galactica boardgame before?

To the Chaos Theater crew, have you guys played any European style boardgames (ala Settlers of Catan, the aforementioned BSG, Game of Thrones, etc) and if you did, do you plan on making a topic about this?

Thank you and keep up the good works guys.
TheGoose

Incoming! Incoming!! Huge question post at three o'clock!!!

1. Recently, it was announced by DC Comics that they would be producing several prequel miniseries to Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon's groundbreaking comic book, Watchmen. Do you think it's alright to make spinoffs starring characters from Watchmen or do you feel that the original work should stand on it's own?

2. Speaking of Alan Moore, I remember Chris mentioning that he had seen the film adaptation of one of Moore's other famous comic works, V for Vendetta. Have either of you read the original book that it was based on? Do you prefer the book or film more?

3. What are your expectations for the next Spider-Man movie?

4. Is there any place in the world that you would like to visit?

5. Chris, what problems do you have with the animated movie, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker? Is there anything that you like about it? Pedro, what is your opinion of the film?

6. Is there an underrated acting performance by an actor/actress (in movies, tv, animation, etc.) that you think is better than a more well-known role that they've played? For example, while Alec Guinness is mostly known for playing Obi-Wan in the original Star Wars trilogy (and is one of my favorite characters from the original trilogy), I feel Guiness did a superior job acting as the evil mastermind, Prof. Marcus, from the black comedy film, the Ladykillers.

7. Do either of you guys play any instruments?

8. Do either of you guys like any animated Disney movies (Bambi, Aladdin, Lion King, etc.)?

9. Have either of you guys watched the TV detective show, Columbo?

10. What do you guys think of the Planet of the Ape film series? Did you see the Tim Burton remake of the original movie? Did you see the latest movie, Rise of the Planet of the Apes?

11. Which anime character would you want to have as a roommate? Which character would you not want to have as a roommate? I would want Franz from Gankutsuou because I know he would always be a good friend to me. Also, he could introduce me to some hot older women. As much as love him, I would ever, never want Mr. Yotsuya as my roommate since he would constantly annoy me and mooch off me. Plus, I wouldn't want to have a giant hole in our apartment for him to live in.

12. What is the oldest anime you've seen in completion (as in every single episode)?

13. What was the first anime you ever saw?

14. Pedro, why do you dislike the current Green Lantern, Hal Jordan? What's your opinion of the other human Green Lanterns? Do you have a favorite among them?

15. What is your favorite season (spring, summer, fall, or winter)?

16. Put on your life preservers! If you could travel backwards to any year, what year would you go to and what state or country would you travel to in that timeframe?

17. What will it take for someone to make a good Superman video game?

18. Chris, what problems do you have with the episodes that star Baby Doll from Batman: The Animated Series?

19. Finally, do you have any New Year's resolutions for 2012?
Last edited by TheGoose on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The Fowl Sorcerous

lightning round the 2nd:

french fries or onion rings?
cats or dogs?
elves or dwarves?
cake or death?
morrigan or leliana?
kirk or picard?
archer or janeway?
vampires or werewolves?
[[lorem ipsum]]
Destiny_Gundam

Two questions.

1.) Are either of you familiar with To Love Ru Darkness? You might know it by reputation alone. It takes fanservice to a whole new level with fully exposed breasts, imaginary sex scenes, and barely covering the lower regions (once even showing it reflected in a character's eye). Even Aki Sora is tamer than it. And the thing to remember is that this is a shonen manga that runs in Jump Square. Talk about getting crap past the radar.

So what are some notable things that made you go "How the hell did that slip by the censors?"

2.) By the same token has there been a series that went too far in some respect and soured your taste for it? Definitely Jinki:Extend for me. It eventually reached the point where the majority of the heroines had been raped. Mind you these are 13/14 year olds and it often happens on panel. Pedobear as I may be it's absolutely infuriating. As such I prefer the anime, as flawed as it is.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chaos Theatre gang.
Got something a little different to bring up with you guys for once.
Your Sacred Cow previously discussed stupid things video game companies do and I have had this on my mind.

So here goes, when PS3 launched even though I don't have a PS3 it had limited backwards compatability with PS2 games and all that.
Yet when the PS2 came out one of it's strongest selling points was BC with practically every PS1 game.
Which when I got a PS2 and mod chipped it, I went and hunt down a few games on PS1.

I understand the idea of moving to digital distribution via PSN.
But not all games are avalible through there and not everyone is just willing to sell off their collection because Sony can't be arsed to put the option in the console and just want to milk more money or it's a cost cutting thing(or both)

For a time at least PS3s could do BC, then they phased it out to focus on the PS3's library.
I think it was a silly move to an extent, Sony had the ability for their console to support PS2 game compability.

I hope if PS4 comes around, they keep PS3 BC for that at least.
So I just want to hear your thoughts on this.

That is all guys thanks gentlemen and sorry for that rant like entry for once, had to lay out my thoughts. :P
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Devil_Survivor
Location: Fat's Goodmen's base preparing for Fat's Counterattack

Hey Chaos Theater Actors, I thought you could use some questions for the mailbag from someone other than Mu La Flaga and I promise to be concise( unlike Mu lol)

1.What's your take on how the PS Vita is doing in Japan? Do you plan on getting one at some point?

2. Do you ever read the AAA podcast blog? I'm asking because I'm one of the bloggers and we were wondering if anyone reads what we write lol.

3.Are you ever planning on having Neo on Chaos Theater? I'm not sure what topic you could have him on for, but I'm sure it be hate filled lol.

Cheers,
Devil Survivor
This movie has a beginning, a middle, a end, and explosions.... and is not a giant blow job to the U.S. military. -Chris, on Transformers 3.
Proteus

Hello chaos theater crew.

Question related to Fairy Tail:

For Chris, if you were only allow to save either Erza, Lucy or Ultear, who would you save. Please be noted that the person that you saved would be eternally grateful, loyal and will answer your every whims, while the ones that you abandon would rise from the dead, chased you to the ends of the earth and hunt you down mercilessly.

Same question for Pedro but for you my pedo friend, Wendy, Meredy (pre time skip) or Mavis? :twisted:

Thank you and keep up the good work.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

1) In brief, what are your thoughts on each of the anime series that Yoko Kanno has worked on? I recently finished Darker Than Black and was very bored. On top of that, I was appalled at the number of people who were struck by cars in that show. One character was even hit twice on different occasions.

2) Dilemma: would you rather be trapped as part of a yaoi harem for a few nights or watch SEED/Destiny flashbacks for the rest of eternity? (I stole the idea of a Dilemma question from Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast.)

3) What is your personal advice to the audience this week?

-Chris, if you would break one of your own rules just once, do you mind sharing this on the podcasts? http://vimeo.com/37119711

Thank you.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
The Fowl Sorcerous

lightning round the third:

cake or pie?
coffee or tea?
card games or board games?
simpsons or futurama?
batman or superman?
whiskey or rum?
tacos or burgers?
parks and recreation or the office?
cyberpunk or steampunk?
[[lorem ipsum]]
Varnis

Hey Guys! This is somewhat a Controversial topic that I'm about to bring in, Mass Effect fans have been raging constantly for weeks now about 'demanding a better ending to Mass Effect 3'

My question is have you guys come across this protest? and what are your thoughts on the matter? (I personally think that they are all fighting for a lost cause)
What more can i say? That's the way things are!
Furious Rodimus

What do you think about the "grit-ification" of the fantasy genre (more books like Game of Thrones)? Is this a good thing, or just a business response to a market?

Is the Mass Effect 3 ending thing overblown, or a natural response after players investing so much in their characters?
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Naz

Hi here are my questions, guys
1) What do you think of the romance between a human and an artificial intelligence?
1a) Would it be possible for AI to seamlessly integrate into the society to the point that they would treated as human? ..Or
1b) Machine will always be machine and we can either abandon technology to save human race or wait for Miku to lead her Cylon army to wage a one sided war against us?

2) Have you read any novel written by Travis Taylor? Just like Isaac Asimov, he is a scientist and a sci-fi writer. I'm curious to see your take on some of his works, especially Warp Speed and its Sequel Quantum Connection.

By the way his later works, the Tau Ceti Agenda Trilogy, which featured Giant Robots is my Audible.com recommendation ;)

3) Which of these novels has more chance to get a Hollywood feature film adaptation treatment? Wheel of Time series or The Foundation Series?

Thanks again, and keep up the great work.

Naz
Noodlemonkey

Hey Guys. Given that Cyber Connect has been mentioned a time or two in the podcast, I was wonder what your opinions on the recently announced .Hack//Versus fighting game they are working on. While I know Cyber Connect did the Naruto fighting games (and supposedly Versus will use the same engine and style) I never played them, but I adore the .Hack// franchise so I'm looking forward to it.
stagrider

Hello I''m a new comer and was just wondering if any of you had scene
Kannazuki No Miko, and if you have what are your thoughts on it.
mobiusdiablo

Hey guys, sorry this ain't a voicemail, but I don't have a computer mike.

With more games focusing on multiplayer components, some even going so far as to have it be the main selling point of the game, some seem to slip up and fall with the single player/story mode/campaign modes. Almost as if they were shoehorning in the single player component with no thought as an addition to multiplayer. I believe it's currently most prevalent in the FPS and fighting genre, but it's started leaking into some of the games and series I play, one of the most noteworthy examples being Armored Core 5. It's never been known for a strong story, but at least before it was coherent and was faulted more by bad translations rather than poor writing overall. I understand, and accept that some series and genres can get away with this, such as fighting series (as much as I would like to have them have a story), but is there a point where it becomes too much, and will we see a turn back towards emphasis and detail on the story and single-player gameplay?

Secondly, I recall both of you have journalistic and writing experience under your belts. As an aspiring writer, how do you come up with ideas or motivations to write (or in Chris's case, used to) different articles and subjects? There is the all-powerful dollar, but is there a strategy or method either of you use to move through subjects that aren't necessarily in your interests, or through a case of writer's block?

I've actually bought The Way of Kings as I've been on a Sanderson marathon, and I know what you're talking about Chris - over 1200 pages in the paperback. I've been told though, that the next books are going to be smaller.

Loving Chaos Theater, hearing about all these different things I want to try out now.
Last edited by mobiusdiablo on Tue May 01, 2012 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Matthew Grawbadger

(Well, you sent out the call for questions on Gundamn, so I'll give it a lash. If I humiliate my baby-smooth buttocks again it's your fault, Chris.)

Dear Chaos Theatre,

Since you mentioned skiving off work to play Mass Effect 3 a few episodes ago, I will assume that you've finished the game, Pedro. I've had my soul tarnished by the usual cyber-witterings on the controversial endings to the Epic of Melody Shepard, and my eye has been drawn to deranged and poorly spelt vitriolic complaints that Bioware has compromised its "art" through a cliched and bathetic sci-fi ending.

I don't think I'll be playing it over four or five times like I did the -in my opinion- generally stronger ME2 despite the lovingly refined combat, but the nagging thoughts I've felt after taking my third option to both end the cycle and save some innocent characters I'd grown attached to has really hit me like few video game endings have. Bioware will give me something to pick over inconclusively in my hindbrain for years through their insidious and delicious device of indoctrination.

1) What in Chaos Theatre's (I'm just fucking with you, I mainly mean Pedro's) opinion is the place of ambiguity in video game endings as opposed to other creative media?

2) Does ambiguity have a place in such a cinematic and mainstream game that tries quite hard to appeal to so many?

3) Does the fairly by-the-book space opera skeleton of Mass Effect buckle under the task of the conclusion when so much of its charm lay in the characters and lore, and the two-game dread the player felt for the unimaginable and unopposable Reaper threat beyond the Galactic rim?

4) How the hell was anyone to end such a story in an original way?! (I was rooting for total defeat no matter what you did so victory wasn't the point, focus was on deeds, valour, character, bit Gilgameshy. Historic opportunity missed.)

Basically, can games be too ambitious or forget their strengths, and what older ones can you pair of decrepit wrecks inform punks like me of off the tops of your heads?

Oh, dear.

Hope this helps fill any gaps, it'll see you through the winter if you salt and dismember it properly. I can never get the length right. Might email twice a year when I get hot and bothered about something, my honourable dudes.

Matt.

P.S. Got into Fairy Tail and the two good Star Trek movies after binging on twenty episodes. Thanks so very much for bothering and keep her lit.
Mu La Flaga

Hello Chris and Pedro.
This time I bring you something up your alley(for Chris at least)
ZZZZOOO....ZOMBIES!

So just some quick question in relation to zombie related stuff.

1.What are your thoughts on the Resident Evil games?, I've played a fair few of them 1,2,3,4 Mercenaries 3D and Revelations.
I haven't completed the first 4 entries I mentioned(for some odd reason I suck at the older survivor horror entries),
mostly done with Mercs and working on Revelations slowly(minus the circle pad pro/frankenstick)

2.Ever played any of the House oif the Dead rail shooters?, if yes what are thoughts on them?
I really enjoyed the first 2 and 3 in arcades, some of the bosses were annoying to take down.
Despite that I enjoyed them for what they were.

3.And finally quickly for Chris, what are your thoughts on the Dawn of the Dead remake movie?
I really like it myself and was more Resident Evil like then the actual Resident Evil movies.
(coming from someone who hasn't seen the original Dawn of the Dead movies)
Not mention this one has a Zombie babeh!

That is all I hae to submit for this entry, have fun.
And hope you guys are prepared for Zombie apocalypse possibility one day?
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
angelwingzero

A couple of One Piece questions this time:

1) What faction do you think will be the last bosses of the show? The World Government and the Shichibukai? The Navy and the Admirals? The Four Emperors? Dragon and the Revolutionaries? The Blackbeard Pirates?

2) Since the Blackbeard pirates seem like evil analogs for the Strawhats but have 10 members (or 11 if you count the horse the doctor rides) versus the Strawhats' 9, do you think the Strawhats will pick up a new crewmate in the New World to even up the numbers?

3) Do you want to see Sanji have more cooking battles like he did in Lougetown and G-8? (Best filler episodes ever)
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.